Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Manger

Options
124»

Comments

Ryzken wrote: »
    What i done was a easy mistake could of happened too anybody. I didn't just try and leave it. I went back down after he phoned me.

Is this the first time you've had any issues? Be totally honest, as it would be extremely harsh, and unusual to dismiss someone for their first mistake.
    But there's a supervisor in there bullying staff which is noted who has being screaming and shouting at stuff telling them to do their ****ing jobs etc and she still has her job after it's all being documented by management. So what i done is nothing compared too the stuff that is going on there

What has that got to do with anything? If you have a problem with a supervisor report them, but don't use that as justification to excuse your own error.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Come on, we're not seriously trying to pretend a part-time forklift driver (correct me if I'm wrong Ryzken) should go to the high court over this? I've been to the high court and it cost over 100k.

That's what your link is talking about, the CFO of a multinational going to high court.

not saying that at all. The point I was trying to make was that up until recently many companies felt it was ok to dismiss during probation without going through any disciplinary process. That's changed based on two high profile cases.

I was also asking if companies now need a clause in a contract to say their disciplinary process will not apply during probation & would that be legal..

If an employee is entitled to go through a disciplinary process, irrespective of the type of contract they have then the OP did not get that option as he was fired immediately. Whether he works 20 or 40 hours, or if he is a forklift driver or a financial controller, the process should be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

OK, but as discussed if he goes to the labour court the company can just ignore the ruling and not pay.

You're not suggesting he goes to the high court, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    OK, but as discussed if he goes to the labour court the company can just ignore the ruling and not pay.

You're not suggesting he goes to the high court, right?

Right.
    If it was a first time error maybe the company response was a bit harsh. Not easy for the OP & not a good climate to be job hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭raclle

What has that got to do with anything? If you have a problem with a supervisor report them, but don't use that as justification to excuse your own error.
    You're being a bit too harsh and critical with your responses as have others. Have you never made a mistake in your life?

Its certainly excessive if this is indeed the reason why they were let go but I've seen it happen in the past.

We don't know all he facts. How many tasks was the OP assigned? Was it a verbal request or in writing? If there was many tasks verbally you can imagine how the OP might have forgotten. You also have to take into account they are new to the position and not long in the job so its understandable some mistakes may occur at the start as with any job.

• Advertisement

raclle wrote: »
    We don't know all he facts. How many tasks was the OP assigned? Was it a verbal request or in writing? If there was many tasks verbally you can imagine how the OP might have forgotten. You also have to take into account they are new to the position and not long in the job so its understandable some mistakes may occur at the start as with any job.

Which is why I asked the op if they'd had any previous issues before this instance.

The OP is not just at the start of a job, he has been there for four months and should have a reasonable understanding of their role in that time.

Something about this whole thing is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ryzken

Which is why I asked the op if they'd had any previous issues before this instance.

The OP is not just at the start of a job, he has been there for four months and should have a reasonable understanding of their role in that time.

Something about this whole thing is off.

Nothing about the whole thing is off. I have being there from the start since they opened. And no nothing else happened. They opened in august

Nothing about the whole thing is off. I have being there from the start since they opened. And no nothing else happened. They opened in august

What I find off is that you said the supervisor was happy with what you did that day, so you obviously ran what you'd done that day by them before you left.

So I find it hard to believe that at that stage you simply didn't remember two other tasks assigned to you.

If there was truly nothing else then it appears sacking you was harsh, but we only have your side of events to go by.

I hope you find something else soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

It was forgetting too unwrap a pallet and move another pallet nothing else. I'm contracted for 20 hours but getting 39-41

He's a wañker, simples

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ryzken

What I find off is that you said the supervisor was happy with what you did that day, so you obviously ran what you'd done that day by them before you left.

So I find it hard to believe that at that stage you simply didn't remember two other tasks assigned to you.

If there was truly nothing else then it appears sacking you was harsh, but we only have your side of events to go by.

I hope you find something else soon.

We only get told stuff verbally throughout the day.

Supervisor was happy with what got done, The manager wasn't hence why i got let go..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Dav010 wrote: »
    Why go to all that trouble? Op has a 20 hr contract, give him the 20 hrs, simple as that. Not much point in the manager doing anymore than that.

Because he is a manager and that is his job? :rolleyes:

'Just' because he has a 20 Hr contract doesn't make his work worth any less

Was it you suggesting a PiP after 1 instance of inefficiency, clearly you have no clue of the correct procedures.

Thank fook you are not a manager because you couldn't manage to do things right

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

jim salter wrote: »
    Because he is a manager and that is his job? :rolleyes:

'Just' because he has a 20 Hr contract doesn't make his work worth any less

Was it you suggesting a PiP after 1 instance of inefficiency, clearly you have no clue of the correct procedures.

Thank fook you are not a manager because you couldn't manage to do things right

I don’t know if you misunderstood my post, or if you quoted the wrong one. My opinion was to let the op carry on doing his job on the contracted hours until he can demonstrate that he is reliable, then increase his hours, not to bother going to the trouble of a disciplinary or performance review for something like this.

I never mentioned PIP.

I’m not sure I can make that any simpler.

Advertisement