Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M21 - Limerick to Rathkeale/Foynes [advance works to commence shortly]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭pigtown

L1011 wrote: »
    Ryder Cup almost inevitably going to get pushed out a year - this happened last time we hosted (due to 9/11 that time) and its quite likely the road infrastructure works done for it - the N7 widening/separation and the L2007 pavement replacement) wouldn't have been done in time without it

History repeating here, it seems.

Surely 2026 is far enough away that it won't be delayed?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

pigtown wrote: »
    Surely 2026 is far enough away that it won't be delayed?

It's an EU mandated road, so it's hopefully Green proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭pigtown

It's an EU mandated road, so it's hopefully Green proof.

Sorry, I meant the Ryder Cup

pigtown wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant the Ryder Cup

Oh!. They prefer to have two years between tournaments. The last time it was postponed in 2001 the whole schedule got pushed out. The K Club was due to be two tournaments later in 2005, but they all got changed. So we went from tournaments occurring on odd years to even years. If it gets postponed this year it's likely to go back to odd years permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The 2:1 public transport / roads ratio is after the roads maintenance budget has been allocated. So I reckon it's pretty Green proof, anyway if the latest rumblings are anything to go by, they might not form part of the Government anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It's an EU mandated road,

This gets endlessley repeated on Boards!
    There's no such thing as an "EU mandated road". The EU can't force member states to build roads. Even if the road must be improved, it does not have to be motorway.
    There's no guarantee the M21 will happen in its currently proposed form until we get it through planning, and that will be years yet.

spacetweek wrote: »
    This gets endlessley repeated on Boards!
    There's no such thing as an "EU mandated road". The EU can't force member states to build roads. Even if the road must be improved, it does not have to be motorway.
    There's no guarantee the M21 will happen in its currently proposed form until we get it through planning, and that will be years yet.

It's already only partially planned as a motorway. Nobody has said it had to be motorway. Rathkeale to Foynes is to be 2+2.

And it's already been with ABP since December so it's unlikely to be years before we get it through planning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It's already only partially planned as a motorway. Nobody has said it had to be motorway. Rathkeale to Foynes is to be 2+2.

And it's already been with ABP since December so it's unlikely to be years before we get it through planning.

I'd see Eamonn Ryan meddling with it now though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

spacetweek wrote: »
    I'd see Eamonn Ryan meddling with it now though.

There’s a new Super Junior Minister (Hildegarde Naughton) put in by FF/FG to ensure that elements of transport policy which are important to the strategic operation and development of the country are not run roughshod by Éamon Ryan

Ryan will have enough on his plate with climate action, communications and public/active transport. Naughton can take care of roads/sea/air.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

According to Kerry NRDO, project still to be completed by 2026 subject to no delays with ABP

https://www.radiokerry.ie/kerry-county-council-engineer-says-judicial-reviews-road-projects-increasing/

Oral Hearing on the M6 project recommences virtually in October so fingers crossed this goes to Oral Hearing ASAP

Decision in mid 2021 and then the advance works programme can commence.

Roscommon County Council were on a 2 year target of planning approval to construction commencement for the 35km N5 scheme so assuming no pandemic related delays that may be doable here too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭steeler j

Hopefully it will be ready to go in 2023 ,it could be part of a post covid-19 stimulus package with other projects

Limerick County Council have responded to a request for further information by An Bord Pleanala

https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/public-notices/environmental-impact-assessment-report-formerly-referred

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pajoguy

marno21 wrote: »
    Limerick County Council have responded to a request for further information by An Bord Pleanala

https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/public-notices/environmental-impact-assessment-report-formerly-referred

I assume this set back a decision on this... although the rate covid Im getting less optimistic about this scheme bu the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Was the extra info requested by ABP on 30 September given to them yet?

Ryder Cup has been delayed 2 years by the way, so Adare put back to 2027 to host it

Was the extra info requested by ABP on 30 September given to them yet?

Ryder Cup has been delayed 2 years by the way, so Adare put back to 2027 to host it

It wasn't requested on September 30th. The further information response was submitted on that date. The request for the further information from ABP came on July 15th.
    https://www.foyneslimerick.ie/further-information-response

And the Ryder Cup has been delayed by one year, not two. It was originally due to be played in 2026.

Oral Hearing to commence on February 8th through to March 12th

http://www.pleanala.ie/lists/oralhearings.htm

This scheme was filed with ABP in December 2019.

Is the decision due on this in March? ,I taught I saw in an online news report earlier

steeler j wrote: »
    Is the decision due on this in March? ,I taught I saw in an online news report earlier
    Not a hope. As above the oral hearing only starts in February.

Not a hope. As above the oral hearing only starts in February.

I was thinking that myself

Oral Hearing agenda published:

http://www.pleanala.ie/news/Oral%20Hearings/306146%20Oral%20Hearing%20Agenda%20EN.pdf

Runs now from February 8th to February 18th. 5 days of hearing on the EIS and 3 days of objections to the CPO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Limerick74

marno21 wrote: »
    Oral Hearing agenda published:

http://www.pleanala.ie/news/Oral%20Hearings/306146%20Oral%20Hearing%20Agenda%20EN.pdf

Runs now from February 8th to February 18th. 5 days of hearing on the EIS and 3 days of objections to the CPO.

First day of the hearing completed today. Limerick CCC giving evidence for first 2- 3 days.

EIA module now closed with CPO module starting tomorrow. Duncan Stewart was the celebrity objector today along with Friends of Irish Environment and An Taisce.

Limerick74 wrote: »
    EIA module now closed with CPO module starting tomorrow. Duncan Stewart was the celebrity objector today along with Friends of Irish Environment and An Taisce.
    https://www.radiokerry.ie/friends-irish-environment-says-foynes-limerick-road-scheme-overblown/

Only media coverage I've seen to date.

I do despair.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Are there any maps of the planned scheme? (its a long thread, going back 8 years).

I know the road out to Foynes well having driven it many times, and would be interested to see a plan..

Are there any maps of the planned scheme? (its a long thread, going back 8 years).

I know the road out to Foynes well having driven it many times, and would be interested to see a plan..
    5e158a8feca68.jpg

The most concise one I could find on Google including link roads without options

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

https://www.foyneslimerick.ie/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ah yes, I found it on the planning website..

So its a motorway extension to Rathkeale, and then a ling road from Rathkeale up as far as Askeaton (Dual Carriageway/Motorway?)

Ah yes, I found it on the planning website..

So its a motorway extension to Rathkeale, and then a ling road from Rathkeale up as far as Askeaton (Dual Carriageway/Motorway?)
    2+2 dual carriageway from Rathkeale to Foynes. 2 lanes in each direction, no hard shoulder. Same as Castleisland/Tralee/Tuam bypasses

• Advertisement

Oral Hearing concluded this evening after 9 days.

Advertisement