Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

That's it exactly I asked about sharing and the Garda wasn't sure so I thought I'd stick it on private for now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not your usual near miss

https://streamable.com/clo1lr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Weepsie wrote: »
    Not your usual near miss

A few years ago I was going down a steep descent at full pelt. I was used to this small dog coming out of a house to my left and arcing into a chase alongside my front wheel on the left side.

This one day he came barrelling out and instead of arcing he went right across my front wheel before pulling a handbrake turn and chasing me from the right.

My front wheel ran over his tail as he crossed me and the hairs stood up on the back of my neck. Chose a different route after that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect there was no need to change your route. that dog probably never chased a cyclist again, would have been too afraid to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

i suspect there was no need to change your route. that dog probably never chased a cyclist again, would have been too afraid to.

Nah I’d doubt that. He was one of those small dogs with no sense and no fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

hesker wrote: »
    Nah I’d doubt that. He was one of those small dogs with no sense and no fear.

I don't know how people can let dogs free knowing that's what they do on the road. Ide be terrified if I knew my pet would run straight for the traffic if I let them out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Not your usual near miss

Wheaten Terrier. Ball of muscle with incredibly strong jaws.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Wheaten Terrier. Ball of muscle with incredibly strong jaws.

Thats Weepsie not sleeping tonight :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Two near misses today though they weren't mine, normally I have very uneventful shopping trips.

Audi driver overtook me giving me plenty of room, not so much room for the oncoming car though.

https://streamable.com/qrjuuq

Driver coming back to a car parked in a loading bay nearly did a U-turn through a Deliveroo cyclist.

https://streamable.com/are32i

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Love the sarcastic round of applause

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I picked up an Insta360 One R 360 degree camera on Prime Day. Hopefully I won’t have to post anything from it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

5uspect wrote: »
    I picked up an Insta360 One R 360 degree camera on Prime Day. Hopefully I won’t have to post anything from it here.

What kind of cost are we talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Articulated truck overtook me so close on the Kilcock to Clane road that I was caught in the “suction” as he passed and I think it added 5kph to my speed! If I’d so much as twitched to my right, I’d have made contact with him. Northern reg on him and he was booting it on what is an 80kph limit road. Not one sign of a Garda or speedvan though. Amazing how I seem to always find them on that road when I’m driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TheChizler wrote: »
    Two near misses today though they weren't mine, normally I have very uneventful shopping trips.

Audi driver overtook me giving me plenty of room, not so much room for the oncoming car though.

https://streamable.com/qrjuuq

Driver coming back to a car parked in a loading bay nearly did a U-turn through a Deliveroo cyclist.

https://streamable.com/are32i

Calling them near misses is being a bit dramatic tbh. Just regular irish driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Not your usual near miss

Many years ago, I was heading down Threadneedle Rd in Galway when a dog decided to shoot out into the road in front of me - whilst still on one of those extendable leashes. Managed to miss the dog, but caught in the leash instead.

I went over the handlebars, and the dog was nearly strangled by the impact.

blackwhite wrote: »
    Many years ago, I was heading down Threadneedle Rd in Galway when a dog decided to shoot out into the road in front of me - whilst still on one of those extendable leashes. Managed to miss the dog, but caught in the leash instead.

I went over the handlebars, and the dog was nearly strangled by the impact.

People really are stupid with those extendable leads sometimes. They should always be kept locked when walking on streets. I've never had on dash out on the road but I have seen people tripped up because dogs suddenly dart across a path to fight

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I was sideswiped this morning, not a close pass, actual contact with my hand/arm/shoulder by a pass just before a roundabout. Haven't looked at the footage, but will log this one with traffic watch shortly. I'm furious, the guy just drove through me. I did stay upright, and wasn't injured really but my shoulder was sore just after. I'm gobsmacked frankly.

I rewatched and my blood is boiling. Just off the phone with the extremely helpful traffic watch. Call logged there, but she suggested I go straight to the station given contact was made, and this was more likely a hit and run rather than a dangerous overtake. One way or another I should have contact from Gardai soon.

I'd like to show the video, but for now I'll sit on it before posting it online.

An update. I gave a statement this evening in Swords Garda station. The Garda was really cool and talked through the options for pursuing this one. It really came down to either seeking a dangerous driving conviction, pursuing a dangerous passing of a cyclist penalty point offence, or having a word and giving a caution. We ended up going with the dangerous passing of a cyclist option. They felt it was uncertain whether there would be enough for a conviction for dangerous driving.

The process was straight forward in terms of giving the statement, it took about an hour all in all. They said they would be in touch in the next while to give an update on progress. Fingers crossed this will all be done and dusted soon.

I'll post the video at the end of all this, but it's about what you'd expect, car clips the bike, queue swearing by me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Fair play for reporting it.
    The process was straight forward in terms of giving the statement, it took about an hour all in all.
    To me, the length of time required to make a complaint is far too long. It puts me off reporting some drivers for their actions especially when I know that the local Super may take the decision not to take it any further.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was the actual contact caught on camera? or would it (in case the driver contests it) just be inferred from the footage?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

was the actual contact caught on camera? or would it (in case the driver contests it) just be inferred from the footage?

In short no. The camera sits on the bars right in the middle, below the stem, which does not show the handlebars at all. I also made sure to note in my statement that the camera smooths the footage a lot, which gives the impression that the camera is floating through the air. In theory it's to reduce the jitter and shake from footage on uneven surfaces. But in this instance it smooths the jarring collision to look minimal.

Given they are pursuing a dangerous passing offence, I think there should be enough there.
    Fair play for reporting it.

To me, the length of time required to make a complaint is far too long. It puts me off reporting some drivers for their actions especially when I know that the local Super may take the decision not to take it any further.

Completely agree. In an ideal world I should be able to submit the footage online with a written statement and contact details. Provided the evidence is clear points can then be given out easily. But I can't imagine that being in place at all in the next ten years.

• Advertisement

Completely agree. In an ideal world I should be able to submit the footage online with a written statement and contact details. Provided the evidence is clear points can then be given out easily. But I can't imagine that being in place at all in the next ten years.

The Met I think have a system for this so its certainly doable, I think its as simple as putting the footage on their page, with name and details and they issue the fine. I think a civilian cohort do the leg work so not taking anyone off duty.

CramCycle wrote: »
    The Met I think have a system for this so its certainly doable, I think its as simple as putting the footage on their page, with name and details and they issue the fine. I think a civilian cohort do the leg work so not taking anyone off duty.

Several UK police forces use this portal. I'm not mad keen on the idea of the commercial provider involvement, but it is still a huge improvement over our situation.

https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/national-dash-cam-safety-portal/

Several UK police forces use this portal. I'm not mad keen on the idea of the commercial provider involvement, but it is still a huge improvement over our situation.

https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/national-dash-cam-safety-portal/

I have no issue with it provided there is no profit for conviction on it.

CramCycle wrote: »

Never had a road problem in London but they definitely had one for Break ins so I assume it's the same.

I think the going for penalty points is the right option as it will probably be far more likely to have a positive outcome and most drivers do see PPs as a serious punishment

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Apparently a Hit & Run on the R403 between Prosperous and Clane, Co. Kildare
    34 year old male injured.
    For those unaware of it, it is a straight stretch of road so visibility wouldn't have been an issue. The road is also frequented by a Garda speed van.
    https://irishcycle.com/2020/10/22/man-injured-in-suspected-hit-and-run-in-co-kildare/

It is unknown if the driver suffered any injuries (the f******* ******) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

tnegun wrote: »
    Very positive outcome this evening. I went back to Leixlip and was seen straight away, the guard was sound and genuinely shocked/appalled by the footage. He took my statement and the stills I had printed plus watched the video at least 10 times to make sure all the details were captured. The whole experience could not of been better certainly has changed my perception of it.

Quick update, I'd call back from another equally sound Garda in Maynooth who had been forwarded the complaint but he will have to forward it to Ashbourne who will pass it to Dunboyne or Kilcock as it occurred just over the border in Meath. Guard couldn't apologize enough about it and we'd the good chat about cycling in general at least it's working its way through the process I guess!

Possibly a slight exaggeration to call it a 'near miss', but an interesting scenario nonetheless.

https://streamable.com/it8inm

Driver overtaking on winding road on continuous white line wasn't expecting to find the truck trying to pull out from a yard in front of them.
    Driver of truck who looked right to ensure there was no traffic coming wasn't expecting to find a car coming at him on the wrong side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Possibly a slight exaggeration to call it a 'near miss', but an interesting scenario nonetheless.

https://streamable.com/it8inm

Driver overtaking on winding road on continuous white line wasn't expecting to find the truck trying to pull out from a yard in front of them.
    Driver of truck who looked right to ensure there was no traffic coming wasn't expecting to find a car coming at him on the wrong side of the road.

I always wondered where liability would lie in that scenario. Well, more so if it was a dashed line. Would the truck driver be in the wrong because he didn't look left?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Apparently a Hit & Run on the R403 between Prosperous and Clane, Co. Kildare
    34 year old male injured.
    For those unaware of it, it is a straight stretch of road so visibility wouldn't have been an issue. The road is also frequented by a Garda speed van.
    https://irishcycle.com/2020/10/22/man-injured-in-suspected-hit-and-run-in-co-kildare/

It is unknown if the driver suffered any injuries (the f******* ******) :rolleyes:

There was a hit and run near Kilcock end of September - a "silver SUV van" hit a female cyclist who "had appropriate lighting".

Naturally the Garda then...
    encouraged other cyclists to make sure they have correct lighting and wear the right clothes.

"Hi visible[sic] jackets on the bicycle and good cycling equipment is important," he said.

"It is essential that people take the necessary precautions with the appropriate clothing and lighting."

From this week's Liffey Champion. I exploded a bit while reading it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭blackwhite

VonLuck wrote: »
    I always wondered where liability would lie in that scenario. Well, more so if it was a dashed line. Would the truck driver be in the wrong because he didn't look left?

Likely split responsibility

Not supposed to overtake when there’s a solid white line. Also not supposed to overtake if there’s a side road or entrance that you’ll be over the centre line whilst passing

Equally well, not supposed to enter the roadway unless you can see it’s clear - so fault attributable to both sides if anything were to happen

Advertisement