Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police shootings, vigilante shootings, and Black Lives Matter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Interested in hearing how 'personal responsibility' would have stopped their ancestors from being slaves nor they and generations before them facing systematic racism. :confused:

Are you ? I'm not interested in that kind of passive determinism at all.

I hope you recognise that you are portraying people as being defined and limited, not only by their own pasts, but by that of their their ancestors too !

That is obnoxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

If black 'culture is to blame for violent crime (ignoring the fact that this is coded racist language, intentional or not) then how come Philadelphia’s murder rate fell from 31.7 per 100,000 people in 1990 to 20.1 per 100,000 in 2010 as the percent of its population that's black grew from 39.9 percent to 43.4 percent.

New York City’s murder rate, meanwhile, plummeted from 30.7 to 6.6 as its black population dropped slightly from 28.7 percent to 25.5 percent.

Surely if black 'culture' was to blame then the increase in the black population would have been accompanied by an increase in violent crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I already did.

I await your response to my questions.

There's certainly a connection, but given disparity between blacks and other ethnic groups at the same social level, it's not the sole determinant.

Again you push an infantalising viewpoint that seeks to abrogate responsibility from black people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Are you ? I'm not interested in that kind of passive determinism at all.

I hope you recognise that you are portraying people as being defined and limited, not only by their own pasts, but by that of their their ancestors too !

That is obnoxious.

Unfortunately, research shows that people are in some ways defined by the poverty level they are born into no matter what race they are.

There's certainly a connection, but given disparity between blacks and other ethnic groups at the same social level, it's not the sole determinant.

Again you push an infantalising viewpoint that seeks to abrogate responsibility from black people.

Evidence of the bold.

I am not infantalising black people. No matter what race you are it is hard for anyone to break out of the cycle of poverty, even in countries with larger government supports than the US and even when people do not have to deal with racism.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, research shows that people are in some ways defined by the poverty level they are born into no matter what race they are.

Two quotes of Thomas Sewell -

The first is somehow connected to 'research'.
    The most fundamental fact about the ideas of the political left is that they do not work. Therefore we should not be surprised to find the left concentrated in institutions where ideas do not have to work in order to survive.
    If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago and a racist today.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Just so you know, we are all aware that you are trying to deflect from the shortcomings within police forces in many areas of the US which sees them behaving in a manner which results in the use of excessive fatal force when dealing with many people who are black.

Highlighting and instigating action to change this fact was the basis and is the premise of the Black Lives Matter movement.

There is unquestionably room for improvement in many sectors of American life which includes people from all ethnic backgrounds but trying to argue for this, on a thread on this particular topic, at a time when the BLM protests are an active news story shows nothing more than a desire to not talk about the need for change within police forces.

Anyone doing this or talking about All Lives Matter should be asked where was their concern and efforts in helping these people they now are 'advocating' for before the focus was turned to the impact of systemic racism.

Two quotes of Thomas Sewell -

The first is somehow connected to 'research'.

A self described libertarian stating an opinion as 'the most fundamental fact' is one of the furthest things from research that you could have posted.

Evidence of the bold.

I am not infantalising black people. No matter what race you are it is hard for anyone to break out of the cycle of poverty, even in countries with larger government supports than the US and even when people do not have to deal with racism.

The murder rate is a pretty stark difference. Your favourite uncomfortable truth ~13%( really closer to 6% since it's mostly men) of the population committing >50% of murders and violent crime.

By constantly pointing to external factors to explain all the issues in the black community, that's exactly what you are doing. It's always racsim and never something organic within those communities.

A self described libertarian stating an opinion as 'the most fundamental fact' is one of the furthest things from research that you could have posted.

You're a very negligent reader.

It is not his opinion that I am referring to as 'research'.

You mentioned the word 'research' when you said that
    ...research shows that people are in some ways defined by the poverty level they are born into...

The Sowell quote is by way of alluding to the uselessness of 'institutions where ideas do not have to work in order to survive'.

Academic institutions that churn out self-serving 'research', in other words.

Perhaps I should have kept it simpler for you.

• Advertisement

The Sowell quote is by way of alluding to the uselessness of 'institutions where ideas do not have to work in order to survive'.

So you're claiming no research can be believed? I think you're in the wrong forum then

So you're claiming no research can be believed? I think you're in the wrong forum then

It was too much to ask that you acknowledge your mistake, of course.

Generally, posts that start with 'So you're saying...' and then go on to tell other people what they think, are wrong.

This one is no exception.

Anyway. What I'm claiming is that the publish or perish culture of academia, combined with the preponderance of left thought in those dark satanic mills (it's a bit like the 'interest convergence' idea of CRT), means that anyone with a critical faculty of their own would think twice.

Conversely, I don't believe that people on here read half the studies they link - having quoted one sentence - in order to back up their case.

A lot of 'quantity over quality' firefighting goes on.

The murder rate is a pretty stark difference. Your favourite uncomfortable truth ~13%( really closer to 6% since it's mostly men) of the population committing >50% of murders and violent crime.

By constantly pointing to external factors to explain all the issues in the black community, that's exactly what you are doing. It's always racsim and never something organic within those communities.

That is completely different than what you claimed earlier.

You said there was 'disparity between blacks and other ethnic groups at the same social level' when it comes to violence. Evidence of this please, I have not seen anything that points to significant difference in middle class or high earning black people.

That is completely different than what you claimed earlier.

You said there was 'disparity between blacks and other ethnic groups at the same social level' when it comes to violence. Evidence of this please, I have not seen anything that points to significant difference in middle class or high earning black people.

You wrote on a long winded speech about how poverty and racism explains away the violence in black communities. I asked you a simple question, whether you see similar levels of violence in equally poor white and Hispanic communities.

I didn't claim anything

It was too much to ask that you acknowledge your mistake, of course.

Generally, posts that start with 'So you're saying...' and then go on to tell other people what they think, are wrong.

This one is no exception.

Anyway. What I'm claiming is that the publish or perish culture of academia, combined with the preponderance of left thought in those dark satanic mills (it's a bit like the 'interest convergence' idea of CRT), means that anyone with a critical faculty of their own would think twice.

Conversely, I don't believe that people on here read half the studies they link - having quoted one sentence - in order to back up their case.

A lot of 'quantity over quality' firefighting goes on.

That mindset is akin to attacking the poster not the post or shouting 'Fake News'.

You wrote on a long winded speech about how poverty and racism explains away the violence in black communities. I asked you a simple question, whether you see similar levels of violence in equally poor white and Hispanic communities.

I didn't claim anything

You posted that exact claim
    given disparity between blacks and other ethnic groups at the same social level

What you came back with had nothing to do with social level. Once again, where is your evidence to back up your claim?

You posted that exact claim

What you came back with had nothing to do with social level. Once again, where is your evidence to back up your claim?

I was referring to the murder rate. Are you saying that there isn't a disparity there?

You of course didn't answer my question to you about that, instead tryed to compare North Dublin to the US for some reason. last time I checked there weren't 30 people getting shot in North Dublin every weekend

I was referring to the murder rate. Are you saying that there isn't a disparity there?

You of course didn't answer my question to you about that, instead tryed to compare North Dublin to the US for some reason. last time I checked there weren't 30 people getting shot in North Dublin every weekend

And where is your evidence of the murder rate disparity at the 'same social level' as you claimed in that post?

To make that claim I would expect you to be able to provide evidence that black people within middle or high income groups have significant higher murder rates. If you have that evidence I am very interested in reading it, otherwise just admit that you made it up.

That mindset is akin to attacking the poster not the post or shouting 'Fake News'.

I think the same of people whose habit is to misread and/or misrepresent other people's words.

I think the same of people whose habit is to misread and/or misrepresent other people's words.

You have all the freedom to correct me on where I have misinterpretation of your posts, you have so far not chosen to do so.

Your posts appear to attack the places that develop the research and those that use the research in discussions instead of challenging the content or methodology of the research.

• Advertisement

And where is your evidence of the murder rate disparity at the 'same social level' as you claimed in that post?

To make that claim I would expect you to be able to provide evidence that black people within middle or high income groups have significant higher murder rates. If you have that evidence I am very interested in reading it, otherwise just admit that you made it up.

Ah, so you're going for wilful misinterpretation, got it. I'm clearly referring to low income communities. You made reference to the link between poverty and crime, to explain the level of violence among blacks.

So my question to you, is that if poverty is the sole reason for the criminality and violence, you would presumably see the same result in other, similarly poor communities. Is that the case?

You have all the freedom to correct me on where I have misinterpretation of your posts, you have so far not chosen to do so.

Well, actually I have done exactly that twice already.

Here, where I corrected your careless reading -

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115011181&postcount=785

Here, where I corrected your ridiculous attribution to me that 'no research can be believed'.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115011337&postcount=787

If you are unclear what people are saying to you (and you surely are) then 'you have all the freedom' to ask, rather than distort their words to suit your own predisposition.

But then again, that's precisely your methodology anyway, QED.

Ah, so you're going for wilful misinterpretation, got it. I'm clearly referring to low income communities. You made reference to the link between poverty and crime, to explain the level of violence among blacks.

So my question to you, is that if poverty is the sole reason for the criminality and violence, you would presumably see the same result in other, similarly poor communities. Is that the case?

You chose to state social levels rather than poverty, how is willful misinterpretation quoting your own words? :confused:

I still haven't seen any evidence from you regarding this adjusted claim of the discrepancy of violence in areas of poverty between races.

As for your question, I never said sole reason but I haven't seen a study that didn't connect back to poverty in some way. Happy to reconsider if you can provide some reading.

You chose to state social levels rather than poverty, how is willful misinterpretation quoting your own words? :confused:

I still haven't seen any evidence from you regarding this adjusted claim of the discrepancy of violence in areas of poverty between races.

As for your question, I never said sole reason but I haven't seen a study that didn't connect back to poverty in some way. Happy to reconsider if you can provide some reading.

So what else is behind the outsized level of violence among blacks? You seem determined to deflect any attention from that fact, because as ever, it undermines so many of your positions.

So what else is behind the outsized level of violence among blacks? You seem determined to deflect any attention from that fact, because as ever, it undermines so many of your positions.

If race was key driver as you claim, you'd be able to point to evidence of black people having higher rates of crime at every income level.

I'd be happy to reconsider my positions if you can provide research for the like for like disparity you claim exists but you've failed to provide anything other than opinions

If race was key driver as you claim, you'd be able to point to evidence of black people having higher rates of crime at every income level.

I'd be happy to reconsider my positions if you can provide research for the like for like disparity you claim exists but you've failed to provide anything other than opinions

I see your gambit now, an interesting one to be sure. You make mention of poverty being linked to crime, as a way to play down the negative stats around it pertaining to blacks. When I call you on that, by noting the disparity across ethnic groups, you flip it and demand evidence of crime across all income levels to prove evidence of said disparity.

The evidence is perfectly clear with the statistics at hand. If there was nothing differentiating black people from other groups, then you'd expect them to account somewhere ~ 13% of violent crime, regardless of income level. That obviously isn't the case, so poverty alone doesn't account for it. There are more white people in absolute numbers living in poverty, almost twice as many as black people. Yet the numbers for crime don't track with that.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/40546247

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

So all research conducted in universities is inherently flawed? That's a laughably obnoxious opinion to hold. It allows you to hand wave away academic research, which is convenient for you when you're losing a fact based argument.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Clarifying question. Do you believe black people commit more violent crime because they are black?

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    So all research conducted in universities is inherently flawed? That's a laughably obnoxious opinion to hold. It allows you to hand wave away academic research, which is convenient for you when you're losing a fact based argument.

Yet another one of those 'So you're saying that...' posts which itself turns out to be a fairly laughably obnoxious distortion of what was said.

And that's after I've already corrected the first 'So you're saying that...' misrepresentation.

Once more -
    ...anyone with a critical faculty of their own would think twice...

That's quite a different thing to 'hand waving away' 'all research conducted in universities'.

It's like the convenience of dismissing someone you disagree with by calling them 'a self described libertarian'. When the same person could just as accurately have been described as 'a Black ex-Marxist'.

That's a failure of critical faculty that unsurprisingly, you 'thanked'.

• Advertisement

Yet another one of those 'So you're saying that...' posts which itself turns out to be a fairly laughably obnoxious distortion of what was said.

And that's after I've already corrected the first 'So you're saying that...' misrepresentation.

Once more -

That's quite a different thing to 'hand waving away' 'all research conducted in universities'.

It's like the convenience of dismissing someone you disagree with by calling them 'a self described libertarian'. When the same person could just as accurately have been described as 'a Black ex-Marxist'.

That's a failure of critical faculty that unsurprisingly, you 'thanked'.

Bold and italics, you’re a poster to be taken seriously. No doubt about it.

You didn’t correct anything, you doubled down on it. Unless you’ve reinvented the English language to suit your own purposes. Then I apologise.

What you said was:

Anyway. What I'm claiming is that the publish or perish culture of academia, combined with the preponderance of left thought in those dark satanic mills (it's a bit like the 'interest convergence' idea of CRT), means that anyone with a critical faculty of their own would think twice

University research is not to be trusted because they are left leaning. Is there another point I’m supposed to take from your pseudo intellectual nonsense?

they/them/theirs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement