Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Des Bishop falls foul of the Traveller lobby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

The three times my van was broken in to all tools stolen, I'm sorry to say was travelers.

I had to shoot over to my Mams house "she let them at the roof" .. silly woman I had warned her, They charged 900, for 40 mins work, and burst through the lead valley with screw drivers, they then suggest the roof has no membrane and they were going to bring her to the bank to get out 2 thousand. I arrived at the house then will a little stand off they fcked off.

I've in 2 physical fights with them one in a pub one in a chipper. They don't like unconventional fighting moves (Krav Maga) had them down quick, ah Buddy nooo boootin only Baxin .

I for one cant stand the c**ts, last weekend down at my local garage 7 walked in and 7 walked out all carrying crates, there was 2 10 y olds if that keeping watch, the teller didn't even see them I pointed it out and he rang the police.

Ah sure were great people buddy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Every single person posting here knows not every traveler is the same.

Like Des Bishop's comments, very few posts in this thread reflect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Steve012 wrote: »
    I've in 2 physical fights with them one in a pub one in a chipper. They don't like unconventional fighting moves (Krav Maga) had them down quick, ah Buddy nooo boootin only Baxin .

Respect. I've done a bit of KM training myself, though thankfully never had to use it outside the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Blondini wrote: »
    Ain't no fan of Dessie, but the boy speaks the truth, boss.

So you believe all travellers drink a lot, are feudal, and all on social welfare?

Nice to see some stereotypes are believed without question.

Because I have met a few teetotal travellers ultra religious women.
    Which surprised me, because like you I used to fall into the lazy stereotype.

Also it is clear that not all travellers are on social welfare. As anyone who has followed the most famous high profile travellers such as John Connors, Tyson Furey and Pecker Dunne. Would know this.
    There is also the less well known Eileen Flynn former senator or Sindy Joyce sociologist.

Granted there are more unemployed in the traveller community, than many sectors of society, .

But no one would say any person from Clondalkin Dublin is on social welfare for example. Because this would be untrue it is more correct to state that a high proportion are on social welfare in Clondalkin.

Same goes for travellers.

As for calling them feudal this is also incorrect as feudal is associated with medieval times. Did travellers even exist in medieval times late 15th century?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Can’t stand them, can’t stand him.
    Win/win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Everlong1 wrote: »
    Respect. I've done a bit of KM training myself, though thankfully never had to use it outside the gym.

I've done Kempo, boxing since 12, done taekwondo, Krav Maga slaps them out of the water, Hopefully you'll never have to use it man!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

NIMAN wrote: »
    I read the article.

He didn't say anything that wasn't true.

Yes he did.
    He said he was sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I'm equally confused how he ended up over here, just awful to listen too and even worse to look at on TV, I was kinda enjoying any mention of him for months now.

He was developing a drinking problem over in the states so the family thought it would be a good idea to move back to Ireland in the early 1990's.
    This is what he based his first stand up on, differences between the States and Ireland. He used to be funny before he went on the full woke brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,965 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

He was developing a drinking problem over in the states so the family thought it would be a good idea to move back to Ireland in the early 1990's.
    This is what he based his first stand up on, differences between the States and Ireland. He used to be funny before he went on the full woke brigade.

Any the family thought Ireland a wise choice re his Drinking? :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I remember looking at Mags Cash profile on facebook during her 15 mins of fame (I have too much time on my hands), and you've have them all saying "oh blessed the holy babies lamb of god xx virgin mary up in heaven now with the angels xx" etc etc and then the next comment would be "DER GIVEN DEM BLACK BASTARDS FOREIGNERS SCUM DE HOUSES FOR FREE" and other racist horrible remarks out of nowhere.
    They're not religious in the Christian sense, they just seem to buy into all the symbolism and prayers and ceremony and all that other rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

John Connors shared a video of the interview with commentary written during it and when Des says travellers are all on social welfare a caption comes up- "Wrong. Travellers have the highest rate of successful business men."

So you believe all travellers drink a lot, are feudal, and all on social welfare?

Also it is clear that not all travellers are on social welfare. As anyone who has followed the most famous high profile travellers such as John Connors, Tyson Furey and Pecker Dunne. Would know this.
    There is also the less well known Eileen Flynn former senator or Sindy Joyce sociologist.

Granted there are more unemployed in the traveller community, than many sectors of society, .

But no one would say any person from Clondalkin Dublin is on social welfare for example. Because this would be untrue it is more correct to state that a high proportion are on social welfare in Clondalkin.

As for calling them feudal this is also incorrect as feudal is associated with medieval times. Did travellers even exist in medieval times late 15th century?

Oh my God!!! How could we have got it so wrong????
    Travellers are the pillars of society, upholding the law, Kings of commerce and pinnacles of Moral virtue, navigating the educational system and leaders in Healthcare.

Lets just ignore the nonsense statics, the court pages and the broken hearted teachers and stressed out medical staff.

The only fans of the Travelling community are the Legal profession who would be on social welfare without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Some fair points on stereotyping and painting all with the one brush. Question is though...how would you feel if a traveler family moved in next door to you?

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Any the family thought Ireland a wise choice re his Drinking? :)

Those were my thoughts exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Maxbing

I can't stand the c*nts and their pals in RTE/ Irish Times, but I do admire the way they travel and live in groups. There is a primitiveness to it that is very natural.

Some fair points on stereotyping and painting all with the one brush. Question is though...how would you feel if a traveler family moved in next door to you?

Traveller right are very important to people who dont live within an asses roar of them. You have all these SJW on Social Science courses and diversity training who have never been been given the pleasure of having their dog robbed or piebalds wandering around a carpark. Isnt diversity one of our strengths?

Maxbing wrote: »
    I can't stand the c*nts and their pals in RTE/ Irish Times, but I do admire the way they travel and live in groups. There is a primitiveness to it that is very natural.

You can never fully appreciate that statement until you have visited a halting site in the wake of their immediate departure. It is something like Ground Zero meets an Indian landfill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Rezident

He did live with the Traveller community, acknowledged that they are discriminated against and then outlined the well-known reasons why they are sometimes discriminated against.

If they don't like it, they could change the behaviour?

Rezident wrote: »

How do you propose to change at least 7 generations of poor parent skills? The most important years of your education argued by most teachers happen before you are 7.
    If you are in trouble with the law and involved with social workers before 14 you are on a direct course to be in trouble with the police as an adult. Having an Adult criminal record really screws up your life choices and opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I always am amazed at how gullible people really are an agree to get work done off them especially when they're old calling to the door, simple rule don't accept anyone or anything at your door, do your homework and if it needs doing get someone that is capable of actually doing the job and has insurance, tax compliant and won't screw you or leave you with even more expensive repair bills to fix the absolutely shocking job/work/fcuk up they do .....

My dad's neighbour let them do the drive they then got him to agree to them jet washing the roof, the drive wasn't actually too bad and the roof was actually in no need whatsoever of needing that.

They went off got water 3 times from a fire hydrant to fill the tank, sprayed the dirt all over my dad's house, left the moss over into my dad's garden and left the flat roof next door in ****e, they blocked the water drains from the roof on my dad's side and much more mess such as windows covered and that.

The neighbour works for revenue and then pays these cowboys over €2k cash..... He isn't the brightest which in itself always amazed me how he worked for revenue......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭boardise

Blondini wrote: »
    Ain't no fan of Dessie, but the boy speaks the truth, boss.

Dessie must have had a mental aberration .
    Sure everyone knows that the celebrated ethnic minority ,now known by the appellation 'Travellers', are a people famed for their thrifty and sober ways... as well as their unremitting adherence to the norms of civilised society.
    Glad he apologised for getting it so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭pgj2015

A lot of them are into antiques lol

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Cash is king and of anyone actually has any doubt go to your local graveyard and just look at the enormous wealth and absolutely disgusting and outrageous thrones and headstones.....

Its an absolute 2 finger salute to us tax payers and contributers to society.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

They fitted a chimney cowl for me back in 2006. All of them. They pulled up outside in a Hiace and 31,000 of them hopped out. One of them went up onto the roof with it and the other 30,999 held the ladder. They charged €15, but didn't have change of a €20 note, so it worked out as €20 in the end. I asked them if they accepted travellers' cheques, but they didn't. Anyway, when we went outside to take a look afterwards, it turned out that the entire Travelling Community had actually stolen the roof of the house. The whole thing - just four walls left standing. Couldn't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Rezident wrote: »
    He did live with the Traveller community, acknowledged that they are discriminated against and then outlined the well-known reasons why they are sometimes discriminated against.

It is at this point absolutely 100% the fault of and responsibility of only the travelling community to change their ways before non travellers and the gardai are expected to give them one inch of optimism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭Posh Dave

I’m not racist but I ****ing hate travelers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

.anon. wrote: »
    They fitted a chimney cowl for me back in 2006. All of them. They pulled up outside in a Hiace and 31,000 of them hopped out. One of them went up onto the roof with it and the other 30,999 held the ladder. They charged €15, but didn't have change of a €20 note, so it worked out as €20 in the end. I asked them if they accepted travellers' cheques, but they didn't. Anyway, when we went outside to take a look afterwards, it turned out that the entire Travelling Community had actually stolen the roof of the house. The whole thing - just four walls left standing. Couldn't believe it.

Stick to the day job. The stand up circuit isn't for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

John Connors shared a video of the interview with commentary written during it and when Des says travellers are all on social welfare a caption comes up- "Wrong. Travellers have the highest rate of successful business men."

We could all be very successful businessmen if we didn't pay income tax vat rates insurance etc and didnt rob other people's materials to sell to our customers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭rom

If he said the same about the Irish instead of travellers no one would say anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I remember looking at Mags Cash profile on facebook during her 15 mins of fame (I have too much time on my hands), and you've have them all saying "oh blessed the holy babies lamb of god xx virgin mary up in heaven now with the angels xx" etc etc and then the next comment would be "DER GIVEN DEM BLACK BASTARDS FOREIGNERS SCUM DE HOUSES FOR FREE" and other racist horrible remarks out of nowhere.
    They're not religious in the Christian sense, they just seem to buy into all the symbolism and prayers and ceremony and all that other rubbish.

So on the basis of ONE woman all traveller women are the same? You do realise how ridiculous that sounds.?

My point is Des Bishop claimed ALL travellers. Which is patently untrue.

It is similar to saying all priests are pedophiles or anyone named Graham Dwyer is a murderer.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement