Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

This is very cool. Stephen Colbert interviewing most of the main cast of dune including, Villeneuve.
    There are some new still seen during the interview, and then the trailer is at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

banie01 wrote: »
    But that's how Paul is meant to look.
    Small for his age, and scrawny it's how he is described in the books.
    Well, the book starts when Paul is fifteen:
    Dune wrote:
    "Is he not small for his age, Jessica?" the old woman asked. Her voice wheezed and twanged like an untuned baliset.

Paul's mother answered in her soft contralto: "The Atreides are known to start late getting their growth, Your Reverence."

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

When is the film due out? Please not before the end of the year and is there a series coming too? I hope the original will be on somewhere before this because it's one film I just keep missing and have only seen parts of it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

I went down the youtube rabbit hole this morning....

the first is a documentary on the 1984 movie, it is quite good...

the second is an interview with Frank Herbert on how he created the book...

The ScyFy channels miniseries, Dune is available on Youtube, for anyone that is interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

F**K me thats a huge jump :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Makes sense. The backlog of blockbusters is going to be huge and it's a sensible place to put a tricky unknown quantity. Otherwise it might get swallowed by all the eventual 2020 releases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Eurghh. That's a lot longer delay than I thought. Not cool

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

Feck! The sequel will be out before it and then we'll properly be confused.
    Reminds me of Steve Martin's closing quip at the Oscars a few years ago; "Once again tonight's show has gone on so long, Avatar now takes place in the past."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Bloody hell. A Whole year?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

RTÉ are saying “DUNE” will be delayed until October 2021 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I’m fairly sure the world will have ended by October 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭micks_address

might as well delay it a year and be sure it will come out. This delay for a few months and then another few months is almost worse.. if it can't come out by this time next year then we all in trouble

read the posts above :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Shred

Dune is something that's kind of always been there for me for a number of reasons - the original Lynch movie (which came out when I was pretty young; I can remember my older brothers watching it but I still haven't seen it) and Toto's involvement in the same movie. Then when I learned Denis Villeneuve was going to make a new movie, coupled with Neil Fallon recommending it as one of his top 10 books, I decided to buy it around 2 years ago. I made a couple of attempts to read it and failed due to its immediate denseness...however I got the proverbial out recently and finally finished it last weekend. It's a mind boggling book in so many ways and, I must admit, a bit of a slog at times. Overall though, it's hard to deny its genius and its (continued) influence on Sci-fi is clear to see too.

I'd avoided as much as I could about the movie (and this thread!) as I didn't want casting announcements etc. to cloud my experience of reading the book. But, having finished it I finally watched the trailer last weekend and wow, it looks incredible! I really think the casting is pitch perfect across the board, I see some have questioned Jason Momoa's involvement but when you think of Duncan Idaho's involvement in the first book he's pretty much on the periphery of the story
    before he apparently dies (I see he plays a bigger part in the other books - thanks for the spoiler y'all! ;))
    . I also couldn't give a crap about the gender swap for Liet Kynes, it doesn't make much of a difference to the story and I've no issue with 'balancing' out the cast a little more considering all that's gone on (sorry to open that can of worms again!). Oh an the the jaw dropping size of the worm at the end! :eek: Here's hoping this does come out next year and flying over to the BFI Imax is back on the cards.

Anyway, it's going to be a long 12 months and I'll just have to re-watch the trailer another hundred+ times in the meantime. I really hope it does well enough for the second part to made otherwise that'll be an absolute killer! I might start reading the other (FH) books too, but I think I'll give myself a breather before diving in again...I'm curious to see how the story develops though, especially considering the ending for the first one. Oh and I should probably finally give the Lynch movie a watch too (expectations are low!)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭cosatron

hi. Just looking at buying the books, do i need to buy the trilogy or just the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭banie01

cosatron wrote: »
    hi. Just looking at buying the books, do i need to buy the trilogy or just the first one.

Just the 1st one is plenty.
    The 1st 2 movies will cover the original novel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

cosatron wrote: »

The sequel is an immediate one to the books, but IIRC the series gets more and more exotic, bordering on supernatural as it goes along. I think, it's a long while since I ran the series. The first is a definite Must Read regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I'd agree with the above: the first one is a stand-alone story. If you enjoy it, there are 5 official sequels, and a bunch of disreputable fanfiction by the author's son.

The movie is now coming out on hbo max as well as the cinema

Warner bros is releasing it's entire 2021 schedule out on hbo max too

https://www.ign.com/articles/dune-the-matrix-4-mortal-kombat-coming-to-hbo-max-along-with-entire-wb-2021-slate

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

peteeeed wrote: »
    The movie is now coming out on hbo max as well as the cinema

Warner bros is releasing it's entire 2021 schedule out on hbo max too

https://www.ign.com/articles/dune-the-matrix-4-mortal-kombat-coming-to-hbo-max-along-with-entire-wb-2021-slate

Peteee The plan is to put them on simultaneous with their 2021 cinema release schedule?

So....long wait yet for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

October 1st 21

I would say we will get it sooner then a October.....might affect the chances of a sequel though

I called it !!!
    Denis V says franchise is DEAD !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I called it !!!
    Denis V says franchise is DEAD !!!
    The man really is cursed unfortunately.

• Advertisement

The man really is cursed unfortunately.

Well everything is relative........ but it is unfortunate for him and the Dune fans..... I just can’t see it making enough money for a sequel

Advertisement