Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just Do It

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Murph_D wrote: »
    Well done, sir! *applause

Thanks. Not sure if you are doing the virtual or TT but best of luck if you are.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Not surprised to see yesterday’s result, some metal fortitude to run that time in a TT. Shows how good a runner you are D.

Can’t wait to see what you do under “real” race circumstances cause it’ll be a hell of a lot better than yesterday.

Cheers B. The thought of future races will hopefully keep the drive going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Great report D. As other's have said that's an unbelievable result in a TT... massive congrats!

Thanks a lot A. Cheers for the encouragement to start a log about this time last year. I have gained lots from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Way to crush a TT. Just catching up on your report. Great to have some support out on the run, a marathon TT is a long one! The fact that your "fight" kicked in 2.5 miles to go would indicate there is lots more to come. But the thing I hate most about this forum is the immediate calling out of what your next, often unreasonable, goal should be :rolleyes: Bask in the fact that you went sub3 out the gate, not many have achieved that :)

Then recover and plan.

Well done, well deserved result for the dedicated early morning consistency!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

But the thing I hate most about this forum is the immediate calling out of what your next, often unreasonable, goal should be :rolleyes:

Ah here

Way to crush a TT. Just catching up on your report. Great to have some support out on the run, a marathon TT is a long one! The fact that your "fight" kicked in 2.5 miles to go would indicate there is lots more to come. But the thing I hate most about this forum is the immediate calling out of what your next, often unreasonable, goal should be :rolleyes: Bask in the fact that you went sub3 out the gate, not many have achieved that :)

Then recover and plan.

Well done, well deserved result for the dedicated early morning consistency!

Thanks for the kind words M.

Just to be clear on this, I was absolutely delighted to go sub 3 and still am buzzing about it to be honest.

In terms of my next goals, I am not influenced by the forum here. I feel under no pressure whatsoever to post anything on that.

The reason I posted that was more for myself than anyone else. This is my personal running log that I happen to share with others. Whatever aspect of my life, as in work, personal or running - putting down targets on paper or in print will simply encourage me to achieve them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

MY BAD wrote: »
    Ah here

Not at anyone in particular. Its a forum thing. Its been like that since Wottle was Woddle and before EColi was born :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I agree 100% D, everyone's log is a personal thing, what they include in it, their style of doing it etc...all personal. Like you said when I put a target on my log it's more so that I am held accountable to myself, great to achieve it but if I don't then see what or where it maybe went wrong!
    Inputs from other people are greatly appreciated but wouldn't highly influence me either when it comes to targets.

Glad you're still enjoying the buzz :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Inputs from other people are greatly appreciated but wouldn't highly influence me either when it comes to targets.

Still carrying around those boulders in your pockets?

• Advertisement

I agree 100% D, everyone's log is a personal thing, what they include in it, their style of doing it etc...all personal. Like you said when I put a target on my log it's more so that I am held accountable to myself, great to achieve it but if I don't then see what or where it maybe went wrong!

Glad you're still enjoying the buzz

Yeh E, the input is great. Most on here are more experienced than me so I have learned lots from this in the last year or so.

Still carrying around those boulders in your pockets?

What doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger ;):D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Finally managed to read this. That was a really great run on a very tricky route. Huge congratulations. Hope you're recovering well :)

Not huge amounts to update since Marathon TT.

Previous week I covered about 20 miles over 4 runs. 16 of them were easy or recovery.
    Due to me doing the TT the week earlier, I changed my DVM entry to the virtual Fingal 4 mile. I did that at a bit faster at appprox 7.15 mile pace to see how the body would respond- all good.

This week - I did a few more easy runs(approx 25 miles). The pick of these, was the 9mile mountain trek up around Fairy Castle. I was blessed with great weather this time. The views across Dublin and the Irish Sea were stunning. The glutes were tight the next day so took another rest.
    The motivation to get out hasnt really been there in the last week.
    Despite having a few drinks while watching the rugby and boxing on sat night, I decided to get up early on Sunday to run 'fast'.
    I needed something to reignite me. I did a mile warmup followed by 1km Time Trial. I was viewing it as more of a test to see where I was, but I was going fulI pellet nonetheless. I was happy enough to complete that in 3 mins and 4 seconds in a strong wind. The last 100 metres, I struggled to catch a breath as it was a full on headwind. I planned to do about an hour easy after but I simply wasn't arsed in the wind, so jogged home. I hope to kick into a base type plan now targeting a few of the shorter distances.

Monday 2nd - 4.25 Miles@7.04
    This was the mona fartlek session I previously did towards the end of the marathon block. I wasn't as sharp as I was back then(plenty of boozing in previous couple of weeks) but was nice to get a bit of speed. 20 Minute workout was perfect due to time constraints that morning.

Tuesday 3rd - 6.22 Miles @8.23 - easy miles around Marlay

Wednesday 5.04 Miles @6.57
    Again, I was limited with time here. I had decided I wanted to have a tilt at a sub 3min 1k in the next 10 days so needed to work something towards it. The tester i did the previous week led me to think I should be able to get there. This was simply 4 x 400 , 2 x 200 at the desired pace to get the legs used to the pace. I kept the recoveries honest and kept the pace steady for the rest of the run.

Thursday 6 Miles @8.24 - easy miles around Marlay again

Friday 4 Miles @7.28
    This was a bit of a bonus run due to a meeting finishing eerly. I had 30 mins before I needed to collect the young lad from school so did laps of the local pitches. I had already done 20km on indoor bike in the early morning as wasn't expecting to get out.

Saturday 14.3 miles @ 8.08
    First time in 2 lockdowns, I ventured outside of my 5km. I needed some sort of real life social interaction so needs must and all. Met a friend and we ran the Bray to Greystones cliff run. It was early morning and hardly a cloud in the sky. The views were spectacular and one of the most enjoyable runs I have had in recent times.
    He knew my plans re. 1km so he suggested we do a 1km TT first. I was tentative but there is a lovely loop in Shanganah park so I reluctantly said we will give it a bash so. We agreed that I would do first 400 up front and he would then do next 400. Beyond that, was just clatter home together hopefully. He recently ran sub 3 on this loop, so I was secretly banking on him getting me home after my 400. What actually happened was this : I went out like I was running away from a bomb about to explode. I ended up doing the first 400 in about 66 seconds. He was following my lead but he was a bit more disciplined so was a little gap between us. He shouted to me at 400 , go off yourself but the truth was I had completely done myself in and lasted another 100 metres before I had to pull up puffing. His pace dropped in the 2nd half but he still managed to get it done in 2.58 which was very impressive as I was the worst pacemaker ever for him. It was the bit of craic I needed and I enjoyed the morning.

Sunday about 4.5 miles with nearly 4 of them easy.

Despite my glutes and hamstrings a little tight after cliff run, I stubbornly decided I wanted to have another go at 1km.
    I did a few easy miles fist and then go into position on a new route which had no loop. You need to climb a bit up to half way point then you get a downhill finish. I was tiring again here at half way but checked watch and was just outside on pace. I had to fight with myself not to stop(mental block in middle of all these) but despite a strong finish was 3.03. Silly to attempt today but on plus side, I learned what was needed from it.

Approx 44 miles for week

Monday - Off running - About 20km on Bike

Tuesday - A litter of runs that spammed Strava

This morning had been my target all along for the 1km attempt. I now knew what I had to do. Pick my lamp post at start , I knew where to accelerate now and what was needed to get home sub 3. It was all coming into place, or so I thought. I started off a little too fast but by half way, had it under control - glanced at watch and knew if kept current pace up it would be close to target. I was coming towards the end of the path and realised my workout on watch hadn't started beeping yet to say 5 seconds left. I couldn't figure out what was happening. I had the choice to run straight out on to a junction or take a sharp right onto an unlit and very tight path. I took the turn but took me out of rhythm and was all over place. I stopped watch as I thought , I must have been well over distance and just didn't hear the beeps. I looked at watch at it had stopped at 0.91Km with a time of 2.42. I grimaced and faked smiled at same time ,as I knew I would have got under by a second or 2. My avg Km pace was 2.58 to that point after slowing down to take corner. Oh yeh, It turns out I picked the wrong lamp post. The other was 90 metres further back. :rolleyes:

Wednesday - Take 1 millionth attempt at 1km

This was it. My last attempt as it was p***ing me off now.
    All the same as yesterday, except started at the correct start point and finished with a time of 2.58 - Box finally ticked. I am very stubborn. I hope my 1 mile sub 5 target will be as fun :p

Well done on finally getting there D! I enjoyed reading your many attempts...your stubbornness reminds me of someone else ;)

Can't wait for the sub 5 attempt:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I'd get the popcorn but you might nail this before I get to finish it ;) Best of luck.

Thursday 12th 7 Miles @6.49
    This was a 5 mile tempo(ish) run with a 1 mile warmup and 1 mile cooldown. I started out in Marlay park but headed out Ballyboden way to mix things up a bit.

Friday 13th 6.21 miles @8.11
    10K easy with about half of it on the grass in Marlay.

Saturday 14th 10.6 Miles @8.53
    I met up with a mate early doors and decided to head up 3 rock mountain. I had planned to go up via Kilmashogue forest but first light hadn't hit yet. It was safer to ascend via Ticknock Forest due to a wider road where you are more visible to any potential motorists. Ticknock is the steeper climb and was feeling the vicious head wind approaching the top. It was one of the hardest miles at (10.30min 540ft elevation) I have ever completed. We took a 30 second breather before we took on the last climb to fairy castle. That was far easier despite the worse terrain due to the wind not straight into your face. We took it easy then on the way down having a chat. Id often descend quicker and feel tighter the next day. I was noticeably looser the next day this time.

Sunday 15th 4.5 Miles @7.10
    This was due to be an easy few miles on the local GAA pitch. I felt very loose so changed it up a bit. I did a few 400s and 200s at 5k pace.

41 Miles for week

Monday 4 Miles @8.32
    I wasn't planning on running here and had got out earlier in day for a 13 mile cycle. I'm conscious to cycle a bit more to give the PF in the right foot a bit of a break. This will mean I will float about the 40 mile running mark as opposed to 50 plus that I was doing earlier in year. Anyway, the chance arose in the evening and did a recovery jog around the Ballinteer block.

Tuesday 6.22 Miles @6.50
    This was a bit of a mish mash of a session. I set up a completely different workout on the watch than intended so was ignoring the watch apart from time ran. This was x2 6 min miles separated by a jog, followed by some turnover stuff at 5k pace.

Running is a bit of a chore at the moment. Motivation has been lower than at any other stage of the year. I know it will improve as there are various contributing factors, so just planning on ticking away in the mean time. Target, like the sub 5 mile attempt may help, so will kick into some training for that soon.

Are you still under "management" D or flying solo?

Are you still under "management" D or flying solo?

Solo for the time being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭py

Running is a bit of a chore at the moment. Motivation has been lower than at any other stage of the year.

Has been the same for me and having just read his log, Treviso too. Feels like a big void after the VDCM and has taken a few weeks to shake it off (or some of it at least). Running with someone has helped me get out the door as I'm accountable for their motivation and vice versa. When I actually get out it's been good though getting the gear on is the struggle. The cider and wine the past few weeks since VDCM have been good though.

Wednesday Nov 18th - 5.37 miles @8.24

Thursday Nov 19th - 4.52 miles@6.44(Mona Fartlek) + 3.10 Miles@8.23 + 13 miles on bike

Friday Nov 20th - 6.21 miles@8.09

Saturday Nov 21st - 6.23 Miles@7.26 Progress run

Sunday Nov 22nd - 11.4 miles@7.43

46 Miles for week running plus about 25 miles cycling

Monday Nov 23rd 3.10 Miles Recovery @8.33 + 13 Miles cycling

Tuesday Nov 24th 6.21 Miles @6.36(4,3,2,1 Min x2) + 10 Miles Cycling

Wednesday Nov 25th 5.5 Miles @7.55 + 3.11 Miles @8.33

Thursday Nov 26th 9 Miles @7.10 (8x400 @ 1 Mile Pace)

Friday Nov 27th 5.41 Miles @8.19 on grass

Saturday Nov 28th 1 Mile Tester Time Trial
    I wanted to see where I was so decided about 11pm the previous night that i would run a mile flat out the next morning. I had bout 4 cans in me at this stage so wasn't the best prep. I basically wanted to put a number on the board so I had a target to beat. This meant I was going to go off at a controlled pace so there was no chance of blowing up. I was happy how it went and came in with 5.05 for my 2nd best time at the distance. I finished strong so I know there is more there, once I can master the pacing. Sub 5 seems possible but far away at the same time. The workout during week were all suppose to be 75 second 400 metres but were about 76, so I figured I would be more like 5.10 shape.

Sunday Nov 29th 11.16 Miles @6.51
    Lovely run here taken from KSU playbook. 2 Miles at approx half marathon pace followed by a moderate mile X3. I did the 2nd two reps of this on the Marlay parkrun Route .There would have been two 20 min 5k's back to back. I felt good after and feeling back sharper in general. Warmup and cooldown miles also.

47 Miles for week and some cycling

Monday - 4.51 Miles @8.19 + 10 miles on the bike

Tuesday - 6.21 Miles @7.18 8x400 @5k pace on grass + 8 mile bike ride

Decided to park the 1 mile attempt this week so a bit of a softer session on grass due to PF acting up a bit.

Wednesday 6.24 Miles @7.5
    Easy enough running just checking out the 1 mile Marlay loop.

Thursday 5 Miles @8.13 on grass + 7 Miles on bike
    I listened to the latest episode 9 of Where is Gerorge Gibney on this jog. Smashing production that keeps on giving. That Horgan family has some talent. The programme has created the platform for other victims to come forward and there is now a new Garda Investigation. Lets hope all the victims get their long overdue justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great time, definitely a sub 5 in you, but seriously man, cycling, the tri fairy forum is that way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

TbL

Great time, definitely a sub 5 in you, but seriously man, cycling, the tri fairy forum is that way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

TbL

Haha. I cycled before I ever ran, although nearly all commuting cycling, which I havnt been doing since March. Due to plantar fasciitis, I'm slightly reducing the volume of tarmac running . I'm replacing those miles with a few workouts a week on the bike and easy runs on grass. In terms of a Tri, I'd be like Eddie the Eel in the pool.

Haha. I cycled before I ever ran, although nearly all commuting cycling, which I havnt been doing since March. Due to plantar fasciitis, I'm slightly reducing the volume of tarmac running . I'm replacing those miles with a few workouts a week on the bike and easy runs on grass. In terms of a Tri, I'd be like Eddie the Eel in the pool.

I rather go back to being a fat chain smoking binge drinker than a cyclist 🚴*♀️ :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I rather go back to being a fat chain smoking binge drinker than a cyclist 🚴*♀️ :)

TbL

That’s because there isn’t a bike available to handle the size of your ar$e, closest thing you could cycle is a JCB!!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    That’s because there isn’t a bike available to handle the size of your ar$e, closest thing you could cycle is a JCB!!!

Sure, that day we were running down by the Royal Canal didn’t you say you could handle my arse :) think I did my 400m PB :)

TbL

Sure, that day we were running down by the Royal Canal didn’t you say you could handle my arse :) think I did my 400m PB :)

TbL

Jaysus, I feel like a 3rd wheel here :)

Jaysus, I feel like a 3rd wheel here :)

Ironic the two of these guys flirting in a log called "Just Do It".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Ironic the two of these guys flirting in a log called "Just Do It".

Your only jealous.....

Advertisement