Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

There’s plenty of unnecessary journeys by commuters forced into offices by their employers when they could easily work from home.
    The checkpoints should be only in the morning and a few days of everyone getting in late and reduced productivity would make those employers change their tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Exactly.... Yet....

Nothing to stop them using ANPR equipped Drones either to issue fines for those who cross county lines...

....if nothing else it would remove the need for the waste of Garda resources you see on all the routes into Dublin etc..

Their having a field day today, 5 cars seized this morning at NAAS checkpount, few more around the country. Fascinating the Garda Road Policing Twitter Feed not discussing, Delays, Traffic Jams etc etc

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I was stopped this morning, I thought it was a little odd. It was in a very small village - no patrol car no signs no cones. In fact in the distance I thought it was road workers as they had a white van stopped :D

I'm not sure if he even glanced at the discs

'Where are you coming from?' A in a different county

'Where are you going?' B in another different county

And as I was preparing my essential work spiel...'Grand' he says

Perhaps it wasn't a covid checkpoint

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Stopped today on the way home -Can I see your driving licence?! Simplest of all questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Their having a field day today, 5 cars seized this morning at NAAS checkpount, few more around the country.

Presumably not Covid-related?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

screamer wrote: »
    There’s plenty of unnecessary journeys by commuters forced into offices by their employers when they could easily work from home.
    The checkpoints should be only in the morning and a few days of everyone getting in late and reduced productivity would make those employers change their tune.

can you give examples or are you just making assumptions?

There are plenty of people that cannot work from home for various reasons. But you won't look at that angle?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Breezin wrote: »
    Presumably not Covid-related?
    They have caught a few dealers doing a supply run. One would imagine tax and insurance checks are part of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I seen them several times today. There was about 10 of them at Brittas for a few hours, seen them at the Sally Gap too, then I seen another two stopping people at the Saggart Luas stop on my way back.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

silver2020 wrote: »
    That's urban myth - how do they know they are stolen?

Again, nothing showing up to back this urban myth up.

But certainly a some uninsured drivers, but not as many as the tweets would suggest

Funny how they have all these tools at car boot sales, all obtained legit no doubt.

https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/480339/gardai-seized-6-000-worth-of-stolen-tools-at-car-boot-sale-in-co-kilkenny.html#:~:text=Garda%C3%AD%20have%20seized%20almost%20300,seized%20tools%20is%20%E2%82%AC6000.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.joe.ie/amp/news/tools-stolen-construction-sites-ireland-630200

https://m.facebook.com/676247719139199/posts/1634773863286575/?_rdr

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,448 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,184 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    Has anyone been traveling on the N7 from Nass towards Tallaght around the hours of 6pm to 7pm?

Has there been any checkpoints going that direction around those hours? Or are all the checkpoints going out of Dublin?

No check points heading Northbound from the Naas direction between 6pm and 7pm but the one at The Blackchurch inn heading southbound does be still there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

screamer wrote: »
    This is nonsense because not all people can work from home.
    Thus only unless the cops check every car going home and check every story out there is no way of knowing his valid a journey is

So a funny post on the Garda TWITTER feed, "Speed checks in CROOKSTOWN" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Will there be fines for breaking the new 5km distance for exercise?

I live 20km from some national parks so would still like to be able to go there and would do if the Garda can only advise rather than enforce.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,448 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Will there be fines for breaking the new 5km distance for exercise?

I live 20km from some national parks so would still like to be able to go there and would do if the Garda can only advise rather than enforce.

RTE news just mentioned that there will be a penal code in the form of escalating on the spot fines. Details to be announced in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Be interesting to see how they enforce the social bubble.

I've a grandparent 10km away from me. Has no immediate family or friends in the area. I visit her about 5 times a week and will continue to do so. She tried isolating during the first lockdown and it drove her mental health to the edge.

I'll be part of her social bubble to make sure she isnt alone. If a Garda wants to follow me to the house for proof then I've no issue with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Be interesting to see how they enforce the social bubble.

I've a grandparent 10km away from me. Has no immediate family or friends in the area. I visit her about 5 times a week and will continue to do so. She tried isolating during the first lockdown and it drove her mental health to the edge.

I'll be part of her social bubble to make sure she isnt alone. If a Garda wants to follow me to the house for proof then I've no issue with that.

The social bubble thing is going to be a headache for guards. How can they possibly prove that you're not going to visit Granny who lives on her own?

Taoiseach just stumbled on the 5km rule re food shopping, it was then apparently clarified that's allowed? Thank go because I'd starve were I live. The bubble concept is good but I agree policing that will be an absolute nightmare

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Taoiseach just stumbled on the 5km rule re food shopping, it was then apparently clarified that's allowed? Thank go because I'd starve were I live. The bubble concept is good but I agree policing that will be an absolute nightmare

They shouldn’t have to police it. People should have enough cop on by now to not abuse the guidelines.

They shouldn’t have to police it. People should have enough cop on by now to not abuse the guidelines.

O, I agree but unfortunately there'll be those acting tge maggot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

what abuse shop at your local rip off centra or have a choice to drive 10-15km to decent store, no way it will be enforced maybe few examples but eventually will become wavepoints as it was during first lockdown.

scamalert wrote: »
    what abuse shop at your local rip off centra or have a choice to drive 10-15km to decent store, no way it will be enforced maybe few examples but eventually will become wavepoints as it was during first lockdown.

Grocery shopping over 5k away is allowed. Or one can use home delivery or Click and Collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭dmakc

Can everyone calm down about the 5km. I don't believe they're installing collar shockers around our necks. It's just an arbitrary number to keep you from taking the piss. No one is getting the measuring stick out. Drive on to that graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭AUDI20

I Agree, but if they had we wouldn't be going into another lockdown!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭pah

There's no point in policing it, there are no sanctions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Gardai must be immune to Covid.

Daily I'm seeing my ltiple guards in groups in Garda cars and never wearing masks.

I'm baffled

Advertisement