Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the Cinema during Covid

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Cineworld apparently going to shut all its UK cinemas til next year (which you’d assume would extend to Dublin as well) after Bond delay. Bleak times.

https://twitter.com/thesundaytimes/status/1312506100365680640?s=21

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'd say all new releases will just be shelved until late summer/early autumn of next year. Virus will have either run its course by then or govts will have given up trying to suppress it. Of course at that point the pandemic will probably have been superseded by another crisis. Economic depression, large scale unemployment, non-covid health crisis, societal breakdown... Who knows really, but whatever it is it hopefully won't stop the cinemas reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I'd say all new releases will just be shelved until late summer/early autumn of next year. Virus will have either run its course by then or govts will have given up trying to suppress it. Of course at that point the pandemic will probably have been superseded by another crisis. Economic depression, large scale unemployment, non-covid health crisis, societal breakdown... Who knows really, but whatever it is it hopefully won't stop the cinemas reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

on the positive side Hollywood needed a good kick in the hole, its currently being administered

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Odeon Cinemas email just now - temporarily closed until further notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

AMC will go bankrupt and Amazon is going to buy them up. That's the word on CNBC since April.

Imagine what this would do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

AMC will go bankrupt and Amazon is going to buy them up. That's the word on CNBC since April.

Imagine what this would do.

My immediate scepticism about this is that it might go against the Paramount Decree in America; which states that movie studios can't own cinema chains. Now, Amazon already have TV, movie and publishing platforms that house various 3rd party material but specific to cinema chains, the purchase of the AMC chain might hit some blockers. "Amazon" is itself not a studio, but that distinction may not be appreciated by some, especially those pursuing an anti-trust strategy.

pixelburp wrote: »
    My immediate scepticism about this is that it might go against the Paramount Decree in America; which states that movie studios can't own cinema chains. Now, Amazon already have TV, movie and publishing platforms that house various 3rd party material but specific to cinema chains, the purchase of the AMC chain might hit some blockers. "Amazon" is itself not a studio, but that distinction may not be appreciated by some, especially those pursuing an anti-trust strategy.

I believe the DOJ were looking at that last year with the intention of getting rid of it. it dates from the 1930's so its a totally different landscape now

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

silverharp wrote: »
    I believe the DOJ were looking at that last year with the intention of getting rid of it. it dates from the 1930's so its a totally different landscape now
    Yep, it's gone - there's a 2-year "sunset period" that began on Aug 7th 2020. So in 2022 they can buy up chains. House of Mouse I'm sure will be particularly interested.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

silverharp wrote: »

Last I saw an update was in March IIRC, and since then don't believe there's any movement for all sorts of obvious reasons; and given the makeup of the senior echelons of the DoJ may be about to change in the next few months, unless it's a huge priority for GOP downers and lobbyists, it may get scuttled.

Cinema might have changed, but I don't believe cinemas should be driven or lead by the very studios producing films; that's ripe for abuse and market manipulation. Disney already screw chains with higher percentages on their Big Ticket films (IIRC Rise of Skywalker saw a particularly high jump in the states).

I suppose it depends on where you stand generally on the issue of Free Market vs. Some degree of regulatory control, but I don't particularly want Disney Brand Cinemas further squashing the institution into a niche, restricted product.

Edit: just saw ixoy's comments. Shoot. Well that's Cinema in the STates dead as we know it. Disney Brand Cinemas here we come.

• Advertisement

Last I saw an update was in March IIRC, and since then don't believe there's any movement for all sorts of obvious reasons; and given the makeup of the senior echelons of the DoJ may be about to change in the next few months, unless it's a huge priority for GOP downers and lobbyists, it may get scuttled.

Cinema might have changed, but I don't believe cinemas should be driven or lead by the very studios producing films; that's ripe for abuse and market manipulation. Disney already screw chains with higher percentages on their Big Ticket films (IIRC Rise of Skywalker saw a particularly high jump in the states).

I suppose it depends on where you stand generally on the issue of Free Market vs. Some degree of regulatory control, but I don't particularly want Disney Brand Cinemas further squashing the institution into a niche, restricted product.

Edit: just saw ixoy's comments. Shoot. Well that's Cinema in the STates dead as we know it. Disney Brand Cinemas here we come.

it might be an acknowledgement that at least for now its a loss leader industry. Given the sheer wealth on the movie making side of the fence it wouldn't be right that cinema chains themselves get government handouts.

So the norf is closing? Those lockdown restrictions from Arlene Foster sound like what a referee would say in a game of twister.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

One thing I cant understand is how cinemas are closed and schools are open? Surely a crowded school is less socially distanced than a cinema were every other seat is unoccupied.

santana75 wrote: »
    One thing I cant understand is how cinemas are closed and schools are open? Surely a crowded school is less socially distanced than a cinema were every other seat is unoccupied.

Because adults need to go to work and they can't do it with kids

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

santana75 wrote: »
    Lower cost (risk of spreading), but lower benefit too (entertainment vs education). They're trying to reduce the total spreading, so they're cutting out as much 'low benefit' activity as possible. How you weigh these things up is not obvious, and economics and mental health are all relevant benefits of businesses like cinema too, but that's a complex discussion.

mikhail wrote: »
    Lower cost (risk of spreading), but lower benefit too (entertainment vs education). They're trying to reduce the total spreading, so they're cutting out as much 'low benefit' activity as possible. How you weigh these things up is not obvious, and economics and mental health are all relevant benefits of businesses like cinema too, but that's a complex discussion.

So its not an issue of whats more risky in terms of infection then? It would seem that theres a far higher risk of infection in schools but yet theyre open. This is all very inconsistent.

My understanding is that transmission rates in schools haven't been very high in general, despite the perception that they "must" be worse 'cos of all the kids and their germs. And I'd sooner trust an institution like a school to maintain certain standards of hygiene over retail "luxuries" like cinemas, which are kind gross and unkempt at the best of times TBH.

But at this stage, there has to be a mental health judgement too: we can live with out cinemas without an advser effect on our health; but the last 6 months were often a strugle for parents to manage their kids. Especially if the parents were out of work, or trying to work remotely in a tiny flat. Closing the schools would be a nightmare for so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I wouldn’t be arguing that cinemas should remain open by comparing them to schools.
    But I would like to see the number of cases attributed to cinemas. It must be tiny & I wouldn’t be surprised if it was zero, with all the measures in place. On that basis, I think the risk of keeping them open would be minuscule.

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be arguing that cinemas should remain open by comparing them to schools.
    But I would like to see the number of cases attributed to cinemas. It must be tiny & I wouldn’t be surprised if it was zero, with all the measures in place. On that basis, I think the risk of keeping them open would be minuscule.

I was under the assumption that the reason some places were closed and others werent was just because of the risk of infection. But if thats not the case then why close cinemas at all, if there hasnt been even one case attributed to the movie theatres. Some might argue that the cinema is a luxury but what about the people who work in them, like the people in cineworld for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I think cinemas were lumped in with bars & restaurants as indoor venues where 100s of people could be in close proximity.

In reality though that isn’t true. I went to see Tenet. When I booked online, two seats to the left & right were automatically blocked, as well as the seats in front & behind, so nobody else could sit there. I’d say even a “fully booked” movie would be about 1/4 full. Without new releases, you’d have to imagine they were quiet anyway. Don’t think the risk was high enough to close them. It’s harsh on movie goers & staff. It’ll cost the government in welfare payments & they are losing out on VAT & PAYE.

• Advertisement

Cinemas are bad because droplets travel far, the air isn't fresh and there is no sunlight to kill viruses and bacteria. It's bad for health in general to be in a room that never sees sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Before the new restrictions came in, our local cinema were observing the rules: assigned seating, masks on in the foyer and shop, and social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I think they just need to open up. Personally I won’t be going myself until I’m vaccinated. I’m a big boy, I can make my own decisions, but they need to just open it and let people decide for themselves. From what I hear cinemas went above and beyond to make things safe. The industry is crumbling, it’s very depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

With all the talk about the death of cinema, does anybody here actually rent videos on demand? As in new releases?

I have rented one I'd say in the last 5 years.

For example, I like the James Bond series of films, I'd go to see it in the cinema, but would I pay even 5 quid to watch it at home. No. it's definitely a film I'd wait until it came on streaming service. There are very few films that I would pay to watch at home. I don't doubt they're a good few people who rent new releases but is it on a par with the same people who would actually see the film in the cinema. Not sure.

It would be an interesting case study that obviously no rational thinking studio with do, but if you put tenet or the new James Bond film exclusively on video on demand.... How much are they actually going to make compared to a cinema release..?

Long story short, financially, I just don't see how the film industry would let cinemas die.

kerplun k wrote: »
    I think they just need to open up. Personally I won’t be going myself until I’m vaccinated. I’m a big boy, I can make my own decisions, but they need to just open it and let people decide for themselves. From what I hear cinemas went above and beyond to make things safe. The industry is crumbling, it’s very depressing.

Thing is, simply from a business perspective why would they want to open? There's barely anything new in the mainstream that might pull in a box office worth opening over; while showing classics to 3 or 4 people isn't much of an ongoing business plan IMO either. By all accounts they weren't exactly bursting with custom when they WERE open during CoVid. So regardless of the health risks of the type of venue, being closed & only paying rent & utilities on the property might be the more appealing tactic anyway

Thing is, simply from a business perspective why would they want to open? There's barely anything new in the mainstream that might pull in a box office worth opening over; while showing classics to 3 or 4 people isn't much of an ongoing business plan IMO either. By all accounts they weren't exactly bursting with custom when they WERE open during CoVid. So regardless of the health risks of the type of venue, being closed & only paying rent & utilities on the property might be the more appealing tactic anyway

I’m not sure what business was like during the brief opening, but if the government continues to pay wages and the cinemas can renegotiate a fair rent and somehow break even, I’d like to see them open tomorrow. There’s still films out there that could keep things ticking over, Soul, The Witches, Mulan, etc. They could have a dual release of cinema/VOD,

I know this isn’t going to happen, but it’s what I’d like to see.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    With all the talk about the death of cinema, does anybody here actually rent videos on demand? As in new releases?

For example, I like the James Bond series of films, I'd go to see it in the cinema, but would I pay even 5 quid to watch it at home. No. it's definitely a film I'd wait until it came on streaming service. There are very few films that I would pay to watch at home. I don't doubt they're a good few people who rent new releases but is it on a par with the same people who would actually see the film in the cinema. Not sure.

It would be an interesting case study that obviously no rational thinking studio with do, but if you put tenet or the new James Bond film exclusively on video on demand.... How much are they actually going to make compared to a cinema release..?

Long story short, financially, I just don't see how the film industry would let cinemas die.

Normally I didn’t. I’d just wait for them to show up on Sky if I wasn’t too bothered to go the cinema. But since the pandemic, I started renting films at home. The invisible man, A beautiful day in the neighbourhood, the hunt and the king of staten island.

I won’t be renting anything now, purely because I have no time to set aside, and give something a decent watch. But I hope when I do, the cinema will be an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

They are showing football matches over here.

https://www.myvue.com/event/premier-league-west-ham-v-man-city

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Banjaxed82 wrote: »

I'm not renting, but I am buying. A lot. I buy them on the Google Play US store, then watch them on the Youtube app on my telly. I also got a US-based friend to sort me out with a Movies Anywhere account, to which I connected Google Play, iTunes, and Microsoft Movies.

The benefit of Movies Anywhere is I can keep my eye out for digital sales (Microsoft has them most often in my experience), buy them on whatever service I want, and then they'll be available on all the other services too (Paramount movies aside). A recent example is there was a sale on the Mission Impossible series (in 4K) so I snapped them all up for less than €30.

My digital library is over 100 movies at this stage, most of those bought in the last year.

As for why — well I haven't really been able to go to the cinema for a few years thanks to having a child. He's 4 now, and in those 4 years the only time I've been to the cinema was for Little Women (while he was at creche!) and Gemini Man (while I was on a business trip in the US, because I wanted to experience the HFR thing).

Combine that with the unpleasant parts of cinema-going (even at the best of times) and I've completely lost the appetite for it. I'm used to waiting until VOD releases before seeing most films, and I've learned not to care too much about spoilers. Plus we have an excellent 4K TV at home which largely negates the visual advantage of going to a cinema (although I was heavily contemplating going out to see Tenet in IMAX).

The films I most enjoy are low-budget indies which don't have a large cinema window, so I generally don't have to wait long. And a large number of things I enjoy are going straight to streaming these days too. There's so little to draw me to the cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

branie2 wrote: »
    Before the new restrictions came in, our local cinema were observing the rules: assigned seating, masks on in the foyer and shop, and social distancing.
    I was in the lighthouse a few times when it re opened.
    They were doing a brilliant job.
    Half the rows gone and two seats on either side of each booking.

I miss the cinema more than the pub tbh :(

Advertisement