Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CarMc

Solicitor requested drawdown of the mortgage and hopefully getting keys to house this week. Not sure where possible new restrictions will leave us. What were other people’s experiences during lockdown and collecting keys/moving in?

We moved last week, level 3 lockdown but we moved from one county to another so had to drive through checkpoint a lot! Explained we were moving and guards waved us on and wished us well.

Can't imagine level 4 or 5 impacting it unless solicitors, banks and estate agents all close up shop but can't see that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 anon_for_today

Solicitor requested drawdown of the mortgage and hopefully getting keys to house this week. Not sure where possible new restrictions will leave us. What were other people’s experiences during lockdown and collecting keys/moving in?

We’re supposed to get keys this week also, does anyone know if house movers are considered essential service? Were they operating during first lock down? Wondering how in the name of jaysis we’ll manage the move without them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Wondering how in the name of jaysis we’ll manage the move without them!

Rent a van? Ask friends and family for a dig out with their cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭td2008

They were operating during lockdown back in June anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

I am getting a survey carried out on the house by a chartered surveyor, will he calculate the rebuild cost for me for when i am taking out house insurance. Also do i have to insure the house to cover the mortgage amount. If say i take out a mortgage of 250k and have put a deposit of 50k if God forbid i had to make a claim and they pay out the 250k mortgage is paid but i am left homeless.

You insure for the rebuild cost. The valuer will tell you the rebuild cost

• Advertisement

GrumPy wrote: »
    Rent a van? Ask friends and family for a dig out with their cars?

Yeah, that would be the ideal, but the whole no-social-contacts craic rather hard to maintain when you’re doing a to-me-to-you with a king size divan bed down the stairs 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Leozord

CarMc wrote: »
    Can't imagine level 4 or 5 impacting it unless solicitors, banks and estate agents all close up shop but can't see that happening.

That's what I'm afraid of

on level 5, are solicitors working "normally"?

Leozord wrote: »
    That's what I'm afraid of

on level 5, are solicitors working "normally"?

I believe so; ours told us she was in office every day throughout initial lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

I believe so; ours told us she was in office every day throughout initial lockdown

They are essential services

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Meandyou999

What if the mortgage is bigger than the rebuild cost then the insurance wont pay off the mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ElitesTeam

If a house is worth(market value) 300k and rebuild is valued at 200k. Then a person should insure for 200k + contents or 300k + contents?

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What if the mortgage is bigger than the rebuild cost then the insurance wont pay off the mortgage.
    ElitesTeam wrote: »
    If a house is worth(market value) 300k and rebuild is valued at 200k. Then a person should insure for 200k + contents or 300k + contents?

Your home insurer wants to know how much it would cost to rebuild your house if something terrible happened.

Home insurance is not there to cover your mortgage, it's there to cover the building itself.

I believe the rebuild cost will come from the developer, not the valuer (who will just give you the market value).

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

A word of warning to anyone selling from an eager, mortgage approved buyer... do your research on your EA so you end up getting the best sale price on your home.

As a buyer, I have been cancelled on, 'forgotten about', finally replied to 4 weeks after I asked multiple times for a viewing. Maybe it's the covid and work from home situation stretching their resources but it's crazy to think how much money they could be losing for you. EA's don't seem to know much about the houses we have gone to see. They just stand there and let you in. Easy job if you ask me!

I'm mortgage approved, FTB with no chain. Really eager to buy. I'll be very cautious myself if I'm ever selling.

From my experience of looking for the last 3-4 months, it's a very good time to sell. All houses are going for well over asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Anyone know how level 4 or 5 will impact house viewings?

Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You should insure for whichever is the higher of market value or rebuild (reinstatement) cost. If you get an oil spill, it might be that the cost of the decontamination works and rebuilding are greater than the market value, in which case you will simply be given market value.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Shoden

Just going to ramble here: My current situation is that I have a booking deposit down on a place for the last few weeks but it's not ready until next summer, so there doesn't seem to be any rush with anything. I have informed my broker and solicitor that I have gone sale agreed but nothing seems to be happening. Am I supposed to be doing something? Who knows! I'm hoping a house in the development comes up sooner than mine is ready though cause I'm good to go now!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Shoden

Similar situation to you Shoden.

Myself and her are moving out of Dublin apartment, going to rent it.

Taking a house up north where I’ve family in a new build development, 4 bed detached £210K. Excellent value compared with the sky high prices in surrounding areas outside of Dublin down here.

The house were being told will be ready on March/April 2021.

I’m all good to go with the mortgage, but wondering whenever the 6 months expires, is applying for a mortgage extension a big issue? Will they look at everything again if the house isn’t ready? That would be awful to have it pulled from under you At that stage. Hoping an extension is fairly straight forward

I think the extension situation is why my broker doesn't seem to want to hurry things. He doesn't want to go to offer yet because it's too far out but obviously I don't want to lose the house so I want to sign the contract. Tis all very confusing to know what to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Similar situation to you Shoden.

Myself and her are moving out of Dublin apartment, going to rent it.

Taking a house up north where I’ve family in a new build development, 4 bed detached £210K. Excellent value compared with the sky high prices in surrounding areas outside of Dublin down here.

The house were being told will be ready on March/April 2021.

I’m all good to go with the mortgage, but wondering whenever the 6 months expires, is applying for a mortgage extension a big issue? Will they look at everything again if the house isn’t ready? That would be awful to have it pulled from under you At that stage. Hoping an extension is fairly straight forward

BOI requested the following for my mortgage extension recently:
    -up to date salary certificate
    -Two recent payslips
    -6 month statements for any non boi accounts
    -signed declaration

Straightforward enough assuming no change in circumstances

I suppose viewings will be cancelled now, won't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I expect any prohibition will be flouted in some quarters. There were recent viewings in my apartment block even though the management company has a no visitors policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Housing is seen as a priortity. It is likely that house viewings, handovers etc. will continue under solcial distancing rules.

Also solicitors are considered a essential service and will continie to operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Hi,

We closed on our house Friday last week, as that is the date the vendors side added to the contracts, we busted our balls to get everything in order, but we got there, and transferred funds to the solicitors client account Friday morning. Our solicitor and theirs bank in the same big bank, so I'm sure it went through on the same day, any way they claimed it dont, and it ran into the weekend.

Our solicitor received the deeds this morning, all looks good and they now have the funds received.

However, the owner is still in the house and claims he cant leave until tomorrow, I find this very frustrating for a number of reasons :

- We own the house now
    - We worked very hard to meet their deadline of Friday
    - We took today off to move, but it was only at 3PM they told us they need until tomorrow
    - We hired a van at quite a cost for the move

He obviously knew last week he wasnt ready, and in my opinion should have told us last week, I would be much more accepting of it if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Newdawn11

Hi, does anyone know current wait times for Loan pack with EBS. Got fully underwritten approval with 3 conditions over 2 weeks ago. Fully complied with conditions immediately. They then asked for up to date statements which we supplied a week ago and still no loan letter. Getting anxious now that still nothing. Thanks

Newdawn11 wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know current wait times for Loan pack with EBS. Got fully underwritten approval with 3 conditions over 2 weeks ago. Fully complied with conditions immediately. They then asked for up to date statements which we supplied a week ago and still no loan letter. Getting anxious now that still nothing. Thanks

With KBC took us 13 working days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Housing is seen as a priortity. It is likely that house viewings, handovers etc. will continue under solcial distancing rules.

Also solicitors are considered a essential service and will continie to operate.

+1. I went sale agreed during the previous lockdown (March and April). It added a lot of delays then, but EAs, solicitors, and banks should all have their processes and procedures worked out for this kind of thing now. In my case, there were huge delays from the bank in April/May, but plenty other parts of the process happened very quickly even under the strictest lockdown conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭itsusuallyjazz

First time buyer here and I have just made my first offer on a house! am shaking, this is such a big commitment

First time buyer here and I have just made my first offer on a house! am shaking, this is such a big commitment

Good luck! if it goes similar to us, every week you'll have a new thing happening (sometimes stressful, sometimes good)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

rain on wrote: »
    +1. I went sale agreed during the previous lockdown (March and April). It added a lot of delays then, but EAs, solicitors, and banks should all have their processes and procedures worked out for this kind of thing now. In my case, there were huge delays from the bank in April/May, but plenty other parts of the process happened very quickly even under the strictest lockdown conditions.

Interesting i guess my one was cancelled so because its currently a buy to let property.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Made an offer on a property a week ago, other bidders pulled out.

EA wasn't doing anymore viewings and was encouraging vendors to sell who then said they wanted the weekend to mull it over but haven't heard anything since? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hi,

We closed on our house Friday last week, as that is the date the vendors side added to the contracts, we busted our balls to get everything in order, but we got there, and transferred funds to the solicitors client account Friday morning. Our solicitor and theirs bank in the same big bank, so I'm sure it went through on the same day, any way they claimed it dont, and it ran into the weekend.

Our solicitor received the deeds this morning, all looks good and they now have the funds received.

However, the owner is still in the house and claims he cant leave until tomorrow, I find this very frustrating for a number of reasons :

- We own the house now
    - We worked very hard to meet their deadline of Friday
    - We took today off to move, but it was only at 3PM they told us they need until tomorrow
    - We hired a van at quite a cost for the move

He obviously knew last week he wasnt ready, and in my opinion should have told us last week, I would be much more accepting of it if that was the case.

If you have the deeds and own the house then they are trespassing. Pursue it via your solicitor.

Advertisement