Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridge mode on new Vodafone Gigabit modem (SIRO)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In the TV settings page, not the internet setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Ah got it. I don't have TV package but will give this a try tomorrow anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 glinch5

Is it possible to bridge the router apart from voice/voip calls routed through it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RonnieCam

Hi All,Looking for some help.
    I currently have Vodafone FTTH via openEir network and VoIP for phone using a Vodafone Gigabox. I intend to install a Ubiquiti USG and USW 16 port switch. I would like to replace the Gigabox completely i.e. ONT to USG to USW switch but from googling it looks like I wont be able to retain my phone. I have to retain a landline as I have a medical device implanted that needs to “phone home” regularly.

My next option is ONT to Gigabox, in bridge mode, to USG but I don’t know if that will allow VoIP via the Gigabox.

Least preferred option is Lan on the Gigabox to Wan on the USG but I believe there are issues, “double Nat”. My question is can I retain VoIP via the ONT to USG option, If so how is this done? I have read that Vodafone will not give the SIP settings to do this for security reasons. Also is the VoIP port active on the Gigabox in bridge mode? Sorry for all the questions.
    Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Cringer

RonnieCam wrote: »
    I currently have Vodafone FTTH via openEir network and VoIP for phone using a Vodafone Gigabox. I intend to install a Ubiquiti USG and USW 16 port switch. I would like to replace the Gigabox completely i.e. ONT to USG to USW switch but from googling it looks like I wont be able to retain my phone. I have to retain a landline as I have a medical device implanted that needs to “phone home” regularly.

My next option is ONT to Gigabox, in bridge mode, to USG but I don’t know if that will allow VoIP via the Gigabox.

Least preferred option is Lan on the Gigabox to Wan on the USG but I believe there are issues, “double Nat”. My question is can I retain VoIP via the ONT to USG option, If so how is this done? I have read that Vodafone will not give the SIP settings to do this for security reasons. Also is the VoIP port active on the Gigabox in bridge mode? Sorry for all the questions.

Did you get an answer to this? I’m in the same boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dmm1000

Yeah folks same as that I need the phone so what I was after.... Can I have the gigabox on the network along with my asus rtac86u so what I need is the proper guide on how to bridge the gigabox to my rtac86u (cannot find a definitive answer on the bridging so far) I have ftth with Vodafone on the eir fibre line I can use the rtac86u standalone with the vodafone@vodafone.ie and "password" but I need the gigabox on the loop as well (for the phone) (please help I'd be most grateful)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Razor Russ

Hi,

I got Vodafone FTTH installed on Tuesday. When I access expert mode on the gigabox and select bridge the white internet light starts flashing. I am using google WiFi mesh as my main WiFi source in the house.

Is there something I am doing wrong ? Tips would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭one4one

RonnieCam wrote: »

I lost access to my phone when I put the Gigabox into bridgemode. I called Vodafone to ask if it was possible for the phone to continue to work in bridge mode or even if I could get sip credentials but they don't want to know once you mention the Gigabox is in bridgemode plus I don't think they would give out the credentials anyway.

I was able to port my number from Vodafone to IrishVoIP which was a pretty easy process. Mostly only wanted to keep the landline number as a lot of people still call it and then I just keep it topped up with a tenner of credit for making the odd outbound call on it. Now my numbers ported I configured a few Polycom VVX 411s VoIP phones and also got a grandstream ATA adpater and wired it back into the existing phone line of the house so all the old analogue phones around the house are working as normal.

Now that my number has ported away from Vodafone and I have an edgerouter x that finally works plugged directly into the ONT I was able to completely remove the Gigabox from my network.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

one4one wrote: »
    I lost access to my phone when I put the Gigabox into bridgemode. I called Vodafone to ask if it was possible for the phone to continue to work in bridge mode or even if I could get sip credentials but they don't want to know once you mention the Gigabox is in bridgemode plus I don't think they would give out the credentials anyway.

I was able to port my number from Vodafone to IrishVoIP which was a pretty easy process. Mostly only wanted to keep the landline number as a lot of people still call it and then I just keep it topped up with a tenner of credit for making the odd outbound call on it. Now my numbers ported I configured a few Polycom VVX 411s VoIP phones and also got a grandstream ATA adpater and wired it back into the existing phone line of the house so all the old analogue phones around the house are working as normal.

Now that my number has ported away from Vodafone and I have an edgerouter x that finally works plugged directly into the ONT I was able to completely remove the Gigabox from my network.
    At work, a few months ago, we moved from Eir vDSL (a problem in itself but fixed when we got our hands on an F1000 as the F2000 wasn't suitable) to Vodafone (with SIRO). We have a ZyXEL Firewall that needs to be there for a VPN link, so bridging is necessary. Prior to getting moving over, I had asked if the VOIP would continue to work in bridge mode on the VF Gigabox and was assured it would... of course, once the transition of our main shop number went to VOIP, the calls stopped coming in!

After a call to CS, I was assured by one rep that it will work fine, but a setting needs changing on the Gigabox to allow VOIP to continue work. VF just needed to log into the modem to make the changes. After some calls later I'm told that it's not possible and the other rep was wrong. The issues are still ongoing, as I had then asked them to reinstate the number back to the PSTN line, which they did for a few days before texting me to tell me that the cancellation of the number was complete! They were killing our main number and replacing it with something else. Now the number is back again (more calls to CS), but it, ironically, cannot receive calls from Vodafone mobile numbers! They're insisting it's a problem my end, and I'm insisting it's an issue their end with however calls are routed... not sure if we can pull from the contract now, as the service is still not working like it should.

Also, the subnet mask couldn't be changed on the Gigabox, which caused other issues, but were worked around...

Cringer wrote: »
    Did you get an answer to this? I’m in the same boat.

Sorry for the delay in replying, Sadly, no I did not get an answer. It seems that the Gigabox in bridge mode disables the voip. I spent an hour recently on to Vodafone tech support and they could not understand what I was trying to do (not sure if that's my fault or theirs) They thought I was looking for a static Wan ip, set it up and charged me a fiver for it. Duly cancelled. It looks like one4one above has the best solution, port your number to IrishVoip and lose the Gigabox. My Ubiquiti setup has SIP implementation but getting the credentials from Vodafone is impossible from looking at the forums. Anyway I'll keep trying and let you know of any progress.

• Advertisement

one4one wrote: »

Thanks One4One for the info, that seems like a way to go. Do the Voip phones require any hardware or software PBX or are they plug and play ? and who did you get them from ?
    Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭jogdish

I am getting Vodafone SIRO tomorrow, seem to getting some conflicting info from vodafone shop and here:

I have my own ASUS router, and I have a landline and wish to use both - is this possible, if I need two 'routers' plugged in that is fine, but im looking to have both in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

jogdish wrote: »
    I am getting Vodafone SIRO tomorrow, seem to getting some conflicting info from vodafone shop and here:

I have my own ASUS router, and I have a landline and wish to use both - is this possible, if I need two 'routers' plugged in that is fine, but im looking to have both in use.

You're timing is impeccable, because I was only at this very task for family earlier today (VF Gigabox with an ASUS AC68U on Merlin firmware) and couldn't for the life of me find a way to use only one router while keeping the phone/landline running :rolleyes:

This is because bridged mode for the Gigabox disables the tel ports/plugs (like why!) unlike say Virgin hubs in modem mode which allows a true bridged connection (tel ports/plugs active) without loads of fiddling :pac:

Anyway, I was able to work it all out and no added latency or performance loss, but needed both modem/routers :D

(yes, I know call forwarding is an option but the family members involved didn't want that and no, the AC68U's don't have tel ports/plugs unfortunately)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Capt. Insano

Recently got Voafone SIRO FTTH install and hated the Gigabox router, I toyed around with the Edgerouter X but found it too much of a learning curve for some of the features I wanted to enable eg. Guest network without AP isolation.

I do not use Phoneline or TV services.

I decided to go the OpenWRT route on a Netgear r7800 Nighthawk.

Here are my settings incase it helps anyone:

https://ibb.co/album/fYpFzK

Thought it may be of worth to post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭jogdish

S.E.A.L.s wrote: »
    You're timing is impeccable, because I was only at this very task for family earlier today (VF Gigabox with an ASUS AC68U on Merlin firmware) and couldn't for the life of me find a way to use only one router while keeping the phone/landline running :rolleyes:

This is because bridged mode for the Gigabox disables the tel ports/plugs (like why!) unlike say Virgin hubs in modem mode which allows a true bridged connection (tel ports/plugs active) without loads of fiddling :pac:

Anyway, I was able to work it all out and no added latency or performance loss, but needed both modem/routers :D

(yes, I know call forwarding is an option but the family members involved didn't want that and no, the AC68U's don't have tel ports/plugs unfortunately)

What was your solution ? I ended up cancelling and back to Eir (sigh), will try again in a few months when I have more time to re network the house.

jogdish wrote: »
    What was your solution ? I ended up cancelling and back to Eir (sigh), will try again in a few months when I have more time to re network the house.

It's as I said, both the Gigabox and the ASUS router working together with as much as possible disabled/off inside the Gigabox to allow the ASUS to work its wizardry :D

The but in all this is that I'm an Engineer in every sense of the word and know IT decades, so can make it all work well ;)

Otherwise its understandable why people wouldn't bother :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Andrewke

Hi, I have installed Vodafone gigabit broadband and have received two Vodafone gigabit modems I have one successfully connected to the internet but would like to put other modem at the other end of the house to maximise internet availability.
    I have a cat 6 cable connecting both modems at a range 25 metres. Could somebody explain a step by step guide as how to bridge the modems together.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

I would really appreciate any help here. Not very good with networking and struggling to find a clear answer. i got Vodafone gigabit installed today and trying to connect my netgear orbi but cant get it to work at all.

I was told putting the Vodafone box in bridge mode will solve the issue both when i go into setting the only option in bridge mode section is "Legacy RG IPv4Mode". When i select this i no longer get internet from the Vodafone box and there is No Wifi signal from the orbi either to complete the setup so i have reset the vodafone box to get wifi again,

Id massively appreciate if anyone could outline steps involved in get the vodafone box to work with a 3rd party Mesh/router solution?

Recently got Voafone SIRO FTTH install and hated the Gigabox router, I toyed around with the Edgerouter X but found it too much of a learning curve for some of the features I wanted to enable eg. Guest network without AP isolation.

I do not use Phoneline or TV services.

I decided to go the OpenWRT route on a Netgear r7800 Nighthawk.

Here are my settings incase it helps anyone:

https://ibb.co/album/fYpFzK

Thought it may be of worth to post here.

I only bought an RBK13 Netgear Orbi system which arrived today and i get even get into the Orbi settings as i cant get an internet signal when i connect the orbi to my vodafone box. How do you configure your nighthawk when you vodafone box is not feeding any internet to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

You could get rid of Vodafone router altogether, just plug Orbi router directly into ONT ( white box at the wall with the fibre)
    I don't have RBK13 but RBK 53 and I have Eir broadband, believe it is similar.
    YOU have to set VLAN 10 tag and user &password for PPPOE connection.
    ORBI really good devices but they only Plug and Play for advanced users , otherwise not really. I believe Amazon EERO mesh system completely different, it guide you step by step very easy for everyone AFAIK.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=491459&d=1569260301
    That is you settings for VLAN 10
    as for the USER and Pass , you have to confirm first , are you on Vodafone SIRO FTTH or you on Vodafone OpenEir FTTH because it is different passwords.
    Do you have SIRO logo on ONT or not ?

• Advertisement

S.E.A.L.s wrote: »
    It's as I said, both the Gigabox and the ASUS router working together with as much as possible disabled/off inside the Gigabox to allow the ASUS to work its wizardry :D

The but in all this is that I'm an Engineer in every sense of the word and know IT decades, so can make it all work well ;)

Otherwise its understandable why people wouldn't bother :)

So could you be so kind as to help us out with a guide S.E.A.L.s Please ?
    It'd be appreciated by many here

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

bdmc5 wrote: »
    I would really appreciate any help here. Not very good with networking and struggling to find a clear answer. i got Vodafone gigabit installed today and trying to connect my netgear orbi but cant get it to work at all.

I was told putting the Vodafone box in bridge mode will solve the issue both when i go into setting the only option in bridge mode section is "Legacy RG IPv4Mode". When i select this i no longer get internet from the Vodafone box and there is No Wifi signal from the orbi either to complete the setup so i have reset the vodafone box to get wifi again,

Id massively appreciate if anyone could outline steps involved in get the vodafone box to work with a 3rd party Mesh/router solution?

As alec76 said you can get rid of the Vodafone Router all together if you're not using their phone service.

Step 1. Login to the Orbi using a webrowser

Step 2. Go the the `Advanced Tab`, expand `Setup` , click `Internet Setup`

Step 3. Tick Yes to 'Does your Internet connection require a login?`

Step 4. Enter Login: vodafone@vodafone.ie Password: broadband and leave the other settings to get Dynamically/Automatically from ISP and Click Apply.

Step 5. Under VLAN ID Configuration Click -->
    Click VLAN/Bridge Settings if your internet connection requires you to configure the VLAN ID

Step 6. Check `Enable VLAN / Bridge group`

Step 7. Check `By VLAN tag group` and add an entry with these settings and click Apply. Then make sure the entry is enabled before clicking Apply again.
    Note: It's possible this entry already exists as many ISP's use vlan tagging.

ISP Profile : Others
    Name: Internet
    VLAN ID: 10
    Priority: 0
    Click All ports.

Step 8. Plug an ethernet cable from the ONT to the yellow WAN port on your Orbi

Step 9. Click `ADVANCED Home` Tab and check your connection status on the Internet port. You should have acquired an IP and be online.

EDIT:

IF you decide to bridge (you shouldn't!) the process is the exact same. The Gigabox becomes just a modem but you will still require the Orbi to passthrough the Username and Password and VLAN tagging

Thanks Logie - I have done that to get the Asus RT-AC86U working on its' own - but I AM using their phone service and i need it - so i need to keep the phone active (I should have said) - but S.E.A.L.s has said he has implemented a solution that keeps the phone while using both routers the Gigabox (for the phone) and the 2nd Router which gives more flexibility with VPN especially - hopefully he'll give us some guidance

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

dmm1000 wrote: »
    Thanks Logie - I have done that to get the Asus RT-AC86U working on its' own - but I AM using their phone service and i need it - so i need to keep the phone active (I should have said) - but S.E.A.L.s has said he has implemented a solution that keeps the phone while using both routers the Gigabox (for the phone) and the 2nd Router which gives more flexibility with VPN especially - hopefully he'll give us some guidance

No bother, he must have configured port forwarding between both routers and disabled Wifi and DHCP on the Vodafone Router. Having two routers and Double NAT is not an ideal situation but is workable in some situations.

dmm1000 wrote: »
    So could you be so kind as to help us out with a guide S.E.A.L.s Please ?
    It'd be appreciated by many here

Wish I could remember everything step by step and by the end I wanted to see how good a boomerang the Gigabox is :D

LoGiE wrote: »
    No bother, he must have configured port forwarding between both routers and disabled Wifi and DHCP on the Vodafone Router. Having two routers and Double NAT is not an ideal situation but is workable in some situations.

Funnily enough, once DHCP, Wi-Fi, and everything else is disabled (not the Firewall and stealth settings for security, probably Gameboy level in these but better than nothing), as well as a static IP set in DMZ, then NAT from the Gigabox is also disabled even in router mode from the testing done for the static IP set, as I wouldn't have bothered if it doubled and would have left it as the only box ;)

Then no port forwarding (do I enjoy more work like), tel port 1 to the phone (working), external router via LAN port 1 to its WAN port and the external routers WAN connection set to that static IP in the DMZ (found for the ASUS I had to manually set DNS servers as well, it wouldn't automagically work, the ASUS Firewall, NAT, DHCP and rest is fine), then boom it works! :cool:

And that's about all I can remember doing in addition Vs. The setup guide from earlier in this thread, the hardest thing to work out when I was at this a few weeks ago was why not just let the tel ports/passthrough for any of the modes, seems counter intuitive for customers :rolleyes:

LoGiE wrote: »
    As alec76 said you can get rid of the Vodafone Router all together if you're not using their phone service.

Step 1. Login to the Orbi using a webrowser

Step 2. Go the the `Advanced Tab`, expand `Setup` , click `Internet Setup`

Step 3. Tick Yes to 'Does your Internet connection require a login?`

Step 4. Enter Login: vodafone@vodafone.ie Password: broadband and leave the other settings to get Dynamically/Automatically from ISP and Click Apply.

Step 5. Under VLAN ID Configuration Click -->
    Click VLAN/Bridge Settings if your internet connection requires you to configure the VLAN ID

Step 6. Check `Enable VLAN / Bridge group`

Step 7. Check `By VLAN tag group` and add an entry with these settings and click Apply. Then make sure the entry is enabled before clicking Apply again.
    Note: It's possible this entry already exists as many ISP's use vlan tagging.

ISP Profile : Others
    Name: Internet
    VLAN ID: 10
    Priority: 0
    Click All ports.

Step 8. Plug an ethernet cable from the ONT to the yellow WAN port on your Orbi

Step 9. Click `ADVANCED Home` Tab and check your connection status on the Internet port. You should have acquired an IP and be online.

EDIT:

IF you decide to bridge (you shouldn't!) the process is the exact same. The Gigabox becomes just a modem but you will still require the Orbi to passthrough the Username and Password and VLAN tagging

Thank you so much for this!! It working perfectly now thanks to you and alec76 input.
    My key problem was solved by resetting the RBK13. Finally had the Orbi setup WiFi network appear once that was solved.I couldn't log into the orbi settings until this was sorted.

I was actually able to simply connect the Orbi router to the Vodafone gigabit by Lan cable and complete setup withs satellite without changing any settings at all. I then edit the settings as you recommended to replace the Vodafone box with Orbi.

Now I know how to setup I'm going to follow your lead with RBK50. The Rbk13 is dualband and the satellites don't have a ethernet connection so need abit more punch than the RBK13. Using the Vodafone and orbi connected by LAN I was getting 500mb across whole house but its down to 350-400 with just Orbi.

@S.E.A.L.s - help is much much appreciated - am gonna have a go at this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

bdmc5 wrote: »
    Now I know how to setup I'm going to follow your lead with RBK50. The Rbk13 is dualband and the satellites don't have a ethernet connection so need abit more punch than the RBK13. Using the Vodafone and orbi connected by LAN I was getting 500mb across whole house but its down to 350-400 with just Orbi.

I would consider buying used stock from Amazon Warehouse.
    Not just Amazon.co.uk but Amazon.de also.
    Ive seen used RBK20 for £129 recently.
    I've mixed system , RBK53 along with rbs20 satellite.
    RBS20 about twice smaller in size and weight than RBS50, not as good at range cover , but still capable of 600mbps peak speeds IF WIRED to ORBI router , otherwise only over 300mbps .

• Advertisement

alec76 wrote: »
    I would consider buying used stock from Amazon Warehouse.
    Not just Amazon.co.uk but Amazon.de also.
    Ive seen used RBK20 for £129 recently.
    I've mixed system , RBK53 along with rbs20 satellite.
    RBS20 about twice smaller in size and weight than RBS50, not as good at range cover , but still capable of 600mbps peak speeds IF WIRED to ORBI router , otherwise only over 300mbps .

Thats exactly why i had the problem. I bought the RBK13 on the Prime day 20% off warehouse deal and whoever had the unit before must had their settings still mapped on the router. Reset finally allowed me to setup and login into the Orbi router.

Ya the RBK23 or RBK53s (RBK53 is EOL) Look to most likely but the upcoming Orbi RBK353 might also be an option. Thanks again for your help getting me setup

Advertisement