Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridge mode on new Vodafone Gigabit modem (SIRO)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

When you are saying "non SIRO ", what is this then?

VDSL ( FTTC) or OpenEir FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

You need to set VLAN 10 for it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Apologies I didn’t get a email so assumed no one replied.

its FTTH gigabit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Vlan10 is mandatory for Irish FTTH. won’t work without it.

as for the usernames, it could vary from vodafone@vodafone.ie to xxxxxxx@vodafone.ie ( xxxxxx is serial number of your Gigabox)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I’ve only ever used vodafone@vodafone.ie, never had an issue. I don’t think it matters that much. Maybe if you have TV or phone but I never did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BYOST

HI All

im so sorry to jump on this thread,

i have got my vodafone ftth working 100% on my untagle firewall ( same thing as my own router) however i want a static ip

vodafone says i cannot have one without using the gigabox in bridge mode

to me this sounds ridiculous anyone else have there own router and a static ip and how did you configure your router for this?

A friend of mine has a static IP on his own router with Vodafone, there was an extra charge for the static IP. They won’t support you with your own router so I’d say to just put the Gigabox on in router mode, call them to set it up, then swap it back out once you’re done.

>vodafone says i cannot have one without using the gigabox in bridge mode

it is possible for the support team to link the IP with Gigabox MAC address, that's why, change the MAC on your Untangle to the one from Gigabox and you're golden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 hamalawy

Hi All,

just joined the board so excuse my manners if I'm missing something.

Just got the 1 Gig Siro and I replaced the Gigabox with my (FG ) FortiGate 60D it's working alright but due to FG not offloading the PPPOE sessions to the SPU and processing it through GP CPU, i'm only getting around 650Mbs. Now I tried putting the gigabox in bridge mode to offload the PPPOE session handling and have the FG do the firewall stuff, but I never managed to get it working, the internet LED just keeps blinking on the GigaBox and the FG never got an IP address on the interface. What am I missing?

-H

If you put the Gigabox in bridge mode, your FortiGate will still need to establish a PPPoE session unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cgaie

Hi Guys,

I have broadband Vodafone gigabox and I just wonder if I can replace the vodafone modem by my ASUS RT-AX86U or any other solution?

The connection I have now is like

Vodafone gygabox connected --> google wifi --->ASUS RT-AX86U, then I can't run my VPN server on the ASUS because I get multiple-NAT environment and DDNS service cannot work in this environment.

Vodafone ip address is 192.168.1.1, google nest 192.168.86.1 and ASUS 192.168.50.1

Vodafone box has bridge connection Legacy RG ip4 mode but I don't know if that will work with google nest or in any other way

What is the option to get rid of multiple NAT?

Thanks

it is possible to replace gigabox and nest with ASUS, read this thread, all the info is here

Have anybody tried these settings for PPoE?

Username: vodafone@vodafone.ie

Password: broadband

Encapsulation: PPPoE

Multiplexing: LLC

VPI: 8

VCI: 35

For SIRO? The username and password are fine. VPI and VCI aren’t needed. But you also need VLAN 10.

Guys I’m having a serious problem, hope somebody can help

set Vodafone gigabox modem to bridge modem and now I don’t have access to the modem and not internet connection

How can I remove the bridge mode without access to the modem?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

If you give your PC a static IP such as 192.168.1.2, you should be able to access it on the original IP. Otherwise, press and hold the reset button with a pin or paper clip for about 20-30 seconds.

No I can’t access modem by 192.168.100.1. I don’t get internet in my laptop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

Is the laptop directly connected to the modem?

For somebody having the same issue in the future, the only way to disable bridge mode is by resetting the modem, then it removes the bridge mode(stupid way)

Anyway the bridge mode didn’t work with my google wifi/nest

Yes so it was connected by cable and it wouldn’t work

Why did you need bridge mode at the start? If you with SIRO then Gigabox not a modem ,just a router easy to replace with any other ( nest or Asus should do the trick) White box on the wall ONT ( fibre terminal) is your modem, not a Gigabox.

So you are telling me that I don't need the gybabox box (modem) I thought this was the modem. The white box on the wall is the modem then

So can I connect my ASUS AX86U direct to the cable coming from the white box on the wall?

Yes you can.

Don’t forget VLAN tagging

https://youtu.be/sxg7eXe0OpA

ps.couldn’t find English video guide , just mute .

Advanced Settings/LAN/IPTV/

ISP profile : manual settings

Internet : VID 10

Apply

Thank you

I have done that but I don’t have internet connection

Under WAN connection type what do I need to use Automatic IP or PPPoE?

If PPPoE what is the user name and password ?

Got it to work

WAN connection type is PPPoE

user name: Vodafone@vodafone.ie

password: broadband

thank you so much, now I can get rid off the Vodafone Gygabox

Vodafone information about user name and password under

How do I configure my existing modem for Vodafone settings?

https://n.vodafone.ie/support/broadband-and-landline-hub/broadband-landline/set-up-installation-guides.html

• Advertisement

If you want the landline, you could always cancel your Vodafone VoIP and just port to another independent provider and then you could do whatever you like with the routers.

Most of those companies don’t provide stand alone VoIP and it’s baked into the router. They either can’t or won’t provide SIP accounts and passwords. It avoids complex tech support, removes any need to do provisioning and probably means they’ve fewer security issues, so I can understand why. It’s just intended as a simple POTS/PSTN replacement.

Their TV services are usually similarly locked to their routers too.

Advertisement