Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

J-W wrote: »
    You could contact Tesla sandyford and just ask them straight out.

The refresh is now the model shown on the Irish configorator. If you were to book that now you would be entering into a contract for that car at that price .

I see thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I like the new centre console and chrome delete.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The new centre console definitely has a more 'premium' look to it alright..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

nc6000 wrote: »
    I like the new centre console and chrome delete.

Totally agree but the chrome delete will hit poor auld aftermarketers

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The first load of the new model are being loaded on the ship today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

Is there confirmation from Tesla that the updated Model 3 has a heat pump?

Plenty of news stories on the usual sites talking about a heat pump (mentioning sources close to Tesla etc.) but I see no official statement anywhere.

I have been hesitating about a Model 3 for years at this point, and I am wondering if this might finally convince me to click order. On the other hand, the ID3 also doesn't seem like a bad car...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

embraer170 wrote: »
    Is there confirmation from Tesla that the car has a heat pump?

Plenty of news stories on the usual sites talking about a heat pump (mentioning sources close to Tesla etc.) but I see no official statement anywhere.

Must have as how else to they explain the 21km range gain in the SR+?

embraer170 wrote: »
    Is there confirmation from Tesla that the updated Model 3 has a heat pump?

I have been hesitating about a Model 3 for years at this point, and I am wondering if this might finally convince me to click order. On the other hand, the ID3 also doesn't seem like a bad car...

Nothing official yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

It could also be changes to the batteries/cells/chemistry?

Musk said waaaay back the heat pump would be standard in next revision of all Tesla models...

• Advertisement

Lol hardly worth the effort for 21 km range. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭J-W

It's not just 21km of range. The main improvement is it will reduce the effect of cold weather on the battery. Range loss should be more consistent year round compared to the current high losses in winter.

Sure all gains now are going to be incremental Mad_Lad

slave1 wrote: »
    Sure all gains now are going to be incremental Mad_Lad

Indeed that's very true, sad but true.

Does the SR+ come with a puncher kit ?

Where is the best source for floor mats ?

jhegarty wrote: »
    Does the SR+ come with a puncher kit ?

Where is the best source for floor mats ?

I ordered some from aliexpress . Risky I know. I'll let you know what there like if and when they arrive

J-W wrote: »
    It's not just 21km of range. The main improvement is it will reduce the effect of cold weather on the battery. Range loss should be more consistent year round compared to the current high losses in winter.

How do you think it will reduce the effect of cold on the battery ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

How do you think it will reduce the effect of cold on the battery ?

This octovalve thing feeds heat to multiple circuits (cabin, battery etc).

Paired with a heat pump in a cold climate it should give much better results for range and charging speed.

The 21km figure is just on the test cycle. Its likely to have a much bigger effect than that in cold climates. They wouldnt have went to the engineering expense for marginal gains. Time will tell though.

KCross wrote: »
    This octovalve thing feeds heat to multiple circuits (cabin, battery etc).

Paired with a heat pump in a cold climate it should give much better results for range and charging speed.

The 21km figure is just on the test cycle. Its likely to have a much bigger effect than that in cold climates. They wouldnt have went to the engineering expense for marginal gains. Time will tell though.

Yes I've read how the octo valve works and this is fine for the battery if there's excess heat from somewhere that can be diverted to the battery but wasn't the battery on the same cooling/heat circuit as the motors ?

The M3 uses the Motor or dual motor windings to generate heat for the battery which is very clever, I can't see a heat pump having any impact to warm up.

What I have heard is that People have requested the option not to heat the battery due to the energy required to heat the battery to 40 odd degrees C if I remember correctly, they have suggested this feature for the times they do not intend to fast charge or care whether they have max acceleration because they might only be driving short distances and this energy needed to get the battery up to temp is a waste. Give the driver the option.

I get how the octo valve works, it will be better able to distribute heat from one system to another but I can't see how it will impact initial battery warm up ?

The simplest way to look at it is this.

The original heating system uses resistive heating elements in the ac and seats . Electricity from the battery heats them when required . Resistive heating is very power intense.

The heat pump moves around liquid.
    So coolent around the battery gets hot the heat pump moves it to the ac system air flows over the hot pipe and heats the cabin while cooler liquid is sent to the battery . The loop goes on

Much more efficient

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I get how the octo valve works, it will be better able to distribute heat from one system to another but I can't see how it will impact initial battery warm up ?

Its not the valve on its own... its that and the heat pump combined give the benefit.

You are generating heat for the cabin anyway, now you are doing it much more efficiently and you can split it between cabin and battery (if required).

I agree with you on the idea of making it driver optional. Not much point in pumping heat to the battery if you are not going to be DC charging that day.

Its not the valve on its own... its that and the heat pump combined give the benefit.

You are generating heat for the cabin anyway, now you are doing it much more efficiently and you can split it between cabin and battery (if required).

I agree with you on the idea of making it driver optional. Not much point in pumping heat to the battery if you are not going to be DC charging that day.

Oh yes I agree when the car is driving and the heat pump is sucking air through the radiator that it will be more efficient if driving along and you want the battery heated but for initial warm up with the car off it will be coming from the mains or from the battery if leaving work for instance and for me, I would not be fast charging on the way home from work and probably not joyriding so I don't think I would want to waste so much energy heating the battery for max acceleration or even regen.

It will be interesting to see if the car will use the heatpumt when preheating when the car is off, if the radiator fan doesn't spin up then there's a high probability that the heat pump isn't being used and preheating comes off the mains or battery if not plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Regen doesn't work if the battery is cold either tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

So looks like the Model 3s in Germany are coming from China with the new battery.

529670.jpg

At a guess then it would be the RHDs are coming from Freemont and the LHD are coming from China. (would explain the different delivery dates for the SR+)

Would be interesting to see the difference between the two different models with cold weather/rapid charging and what features are implemented.

You can see it on inventory cars that loaded today. UK showing a USA made vin but the LHD have a made in China vin.

That would explain why we are looking at November and them February.

It would be interesting if someone can see if the German M3 have the price cut the with the LiFeP04 battery.

I would say the LiFeP04 battery will come to all SR+ soon enough.

Surely the Japanese M3 SR+ are coming from China ?

The LiFeP04 "should" offer incredible battery life, 1000 cycles to I think 70% vs around 400-500 for most other chemistries and that's at 100% charge/discharge cycles too.

The exception being the 94ah BMW i3 battery from Samsung who have said they expect the battery to have 80% after 4,600 cycles or 840,000 odd kms which would be amazing if true.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It would be interesting if someone can see if the German M3 have the price cut the with the LiFeP04 battery.

Can you check here - https://www.tesla.com/de_de/model3/design#battery

€43,880

Not sure how the Grant if any works as i cant speak, nor read German :)

Gumbo wrote: »

€43,880

Says 42,900 but not sure if that's with grants or not as it quickly diverts to Tesla GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Gumbo wrote: »

€43,880

Think EVs over €40k in Germany get a €5000 grant so presumably it's €48,880 before incentives.

EDIT: Looks I was wrong, pulled this from their German website.

Cash price
    € 43,880
    Incl. VAT of approx. € 6,052
    Processing fees of 980 €
    Incl. 3,000 € environmental bonus (net)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

58k for performance and 52k for long range on the German page

Advertisement