Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apple Event - October 13th 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I get a grand total of €0 for my X for trade in cause I cracked the back glass. Whoops.

CeX are offering between €300-€400 for the base model iPhone X which isn't bad. I doubt a cracked back would be covered but you never know. I'd imagine those prices could change in the meantime though.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

DubDJ wrote: »
    CeX are offering between €300-€400 for the base model iPhone X which isn't bad. I doubt a cracked back would be covered but you never know. I'd imagine those prices could change in the meantime though.
    Yeah, I would just assume they'll see the back and not bother. I won't get much either way, the battery is shot on it too and it tells me I need to service it.

My 6s plus is still worth €150 cash nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

€860 for a 256GB iPhone 11 is not bad!

pad199207 wrote: »
    €860 for a 256GB iPhone 11 is not bad!

How much is a pro max 11

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    Okay slightly mad now.

The MagSafe charger (€45) does not come with a USB-C brick. Add on €25 for that.

That’s pure greed.

But environment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭McFly85

Yeah, I would just assume they'll see the back and not bother. I won't get much either way, the battery is shot on it too and it tells me I need to service it.

They won’t take any iPhone if the battery health is below 90%, so I’m considering just trading it in with Apple.

McFly85 wrote: »
    They won’t take any iPhone if the battery health is below 90%, so I’m considering just trading it in with Apple.

Didn't know that, mine was on 87 last time I checked. Not bad for a 3 year old iPhone X.

One big of info I read on Twitter, seems like the Pro models will have 6GB of RAM where the standard will come with just 4GB. Might be something that could change your decision.

I never bothered with RAM before, but probably for the first time since I've had an iPhone I've noticed sluggish performance when it comes to things like multitasking. Or if I open Amazon with music playing or close the Amazon app the music pauses for half a second each time. I can only imagine it's RAM related. I've reinstalled the OS and same issue.

I think the fact Apple have started to really increase the RAM in the last few iPhones means apps can take advantage of more of it and older models on limited RAM have started to feel the pinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

McFly85 wrote: »

mine is 90 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭McFly85

peteeeed wrote: »
    mine is 90 :)

Mine is 89 :rolleyes:

Decided on the Pro anyways, gonna trade the gfs old 7 with it and try and sell the X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mr.S wrote: »
    Okay slightly mad now.

The MagSafe charger (€45) does not come with a USB-C brick. Add on €25 for that.

That’s pure greed.

Just don't buy this stuff off Apple.

Loads and loads of power brick options outdoor that are better.

Maybe if they done a charging bundle of the MagSafe cable and usb-c plug for €49 and dropped the price of the iPhones by €49 then people wouldn’t be so annoyed with it.

If people needed the charger, they have the option. Otherwise it’s no big deal if you have a few lying around the house.

I personally picked up an 18w USB-C PD power adapter on Amazon for £10 so I’m ok for the plug. I am considering switching out my wireless charger for the MagSafe. The 15W vs 7.5W I currently have is one factor, but also just because Magnets :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Don't think this was mentioned but Apple quietly released new Beats X wireless earphones, now re-branded as Beats Flex. Only 50 euro, which is quite a price drop!

https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/MYMC2ZM/A/beats-flex-all-day-wireless-earphones-beats-black

A very good alternative to AirPods. I love my Beats X.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Don't think this was mentioned but Apple quietly released new Beats X wireless earphones, now re-branded as Beats Flex. Only 50 euro, which is quite a price drop!

https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/MYMC2ZM/A/beats-flex-all-day-wireless-earphones-beats-black

That's a very good price for a set of W1 chip enabled earphones for taking away the pain of bluetooth pairing! perfect for exercise.

Maybe a slightly silly question but is the magnet on the phone going to end up meaning it has coins etc sticking to it which could get annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’m teaching from home with MacBook Pro and iPad/Apple Pencil. Basically connect MacBook to meet for visuals then share screen from the iPad and draw all over it for maths. Sound quality isn’t great though. Would it be worth trying these?

Which is faster for charging MagSafe charging or using a usb c to lighting cable with fast charging plug?

If plug and cable is near can someone recommend something on Amazon UK?

I haven’t a clue about usb c plug to lightening and the actual wire but I need the wire to be 2m.

Which is faster for charging MagSafe charging or using a usb c to lighting cable with fast charging plug?

If plug and cable is near can someone recommend something on Amazon UK?

I haven’t a clue about usb c plug to lightening and the actual wire but I need the wire to be 2m.

USB-C can charge at 20w.
    Magsafe can charge at 15w.
    Standard Qi charging is 7.5w

Search for Anker chargers and cables on amazon, they're the best of the rest.

Exactly as stated above. I change my iPhone wirelessly 99% of the time so I picked up an 18W USB-C PD power adapter on Amazon UK for £10. That alongside the 15W MagSafe charger Apple just announced means you'll get the full charge.

For wired charging, you'll need something 20W or above which supports USB-C PD. You could also pick up an 18W charger and get the very slightly slower charging speed.

There's a great Anker charger to get that does fast charging. Anker make great products.

Anker Quick Charger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Deadwards.com

With the Apple W1 chip does that mean the earphones can swap between Mac and iPhone without having to manually remove from one device every time? I think the Airpods Pro do that with the latest update but if these do also its a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Guys is ordering as a student if you technically may not be one ok? No effect on warranty etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

adox wrote: »
    Guys is ordering as a student if you technically may not be one ok? No effect on warranty etc?

Doesn’t affect the warranty. Perfectly okay to do it.

You are a student of life :)

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Doesn’t affect the warranty. Perfectly okay to do it.

You are a student of life :)

Cheers.

Put the order through for the iPad Air after I typed it!

October 23rd estimated delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Doodah7

With sterling so weak, might be better to order off Apple UK and deliver to Parcel Motel. New iPad Air is €667 or £579 which is €637.

Doodah7 wrote: »
    With sterling so weak, might be better to order off Apple UK and deliver to Parcel Motel. New iPad Air is €667 or £579 which is €637.

€30 plus Parcel Motel costs and probably insurance for such an expensive device
    Plus a day delay.

Is it really that big of a saving?

Also, why do people always default to Parcel Motel?

Parcel Wizard from DPD deliver to your door for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Unreal price. I had a pair of Beats X but the button broke, Amazon gave me a full refund. Great feature you can share audio with AirPods also. The usb-c charging cable on the “flex” as opposed to the lightning cable on the X is a weird one.

Tempted to go for these but USB-C to USB-C charging cable with no charging brick means I would have to buy one on top as well.

Edit: Actually scrap that. I’ve an iPad Air on order and that has a USB-C brick with it. Doh!

murpho999 wrote: »
    Also, why do people always default to Parcel Motel?

Parcel Wizard from DPD deliver to your door for the same price.

Think it comes down to parcel motel being the first to market. It had great sticking power to it and lockers were useful when we all didn’t work from home :)

• Advertisement

Advertisement