Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I haven’t watched You’re Fired all series and now I know why. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

How surprising :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Looks like Sir Alan has never heard of a female engineer. Really?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I haven’t watched You’re Fired all series and now I know why. :rolleyes:

I would usually cave and watch You're Hired given the show it is, but jesus that opening was utterly brutal and painful tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭al87987

Probably didn't affect his final decision but Carina's team performed so well and Scarlet's team shat the bed big time.

The contrast between the two adverts was ridiculous, one got a round of applause and the other just met with general bewilderment. Crap idea from Scarlet to be fair though but food is a hell of a lot easier to market than recruitment.

Still think Scarlet was the best candidate and Claude pretty much said as much but three recruitment winners would have been a bit of a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Looks like Sir Alan has never heard of a female engineer. Really?!?

And also, engineering companies need plenty of non-engineer execs too. CFO's, Heads of Marketing/HR etc.

Lottie picked last.

Ryan Mark picked over her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I enjoyed this season. Deserving finalists. I would like to see some different tasks next season. Going to a remote land for a task ( selling a guided tour ) isnt really ground breaking or been very creative as sugar mentioned.

One task I would like to see is the contestants actually interviewing members of the public for a set job. They could use actors etc to try and dazzle the interviewer and we can see if the interviewer can spot any fibs or lies from the actor. A bit of a role reversal.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Throughout most of last night we heard about how great both Scarlett and Carina were and how smart and professional they've been. Sugar even said they were one of the strongest final two's he's ever had. So why don't we see more of that throughout the series? Why is the emphasis always on making fun of the candidates, making them dress up and giving them ridiculous tasks that they've no hope of doing well in? I know the show has always been a bit like this to an extent, but nowadays it's purely just about showing up the contestants. I miss they older series when they went on a journey, grew throughout the series and were given tasks in which they could genuinely excel in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Was hoping Scarlet would win.

Was nice to see Tom back he's quite the character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Throughout most of last night we heard about how great both Scarlett and Carina were and how smart and professional they've been. Sugar even said they were one of the strongest final two's he's ever had.

I couldn't believe how poor and inexperienced they were when it came to the business plan stage. Seemed like Lewis went on to trivago or somewhere and priced up a holiday for 30 people, Karina was plucking numbers at random for branches she would open. Lottie didn't put in any figures at all! This is all basic stuff - you wouldn't be let away with that in a first-year college assignment!

I couldn't believe how poor and inexperienced they were when it came to the business plan stage. Seemed like Lewis went on to trivago or somewhere and priced up a holiday for 30 people, Karina was plucking numbers at random for branches she would open. Lottie didn't put in any figures at all! This is all basic stuff - you wouldn't be let away with that in a first-year college assignment!

I'm suspicious about that. We have wondered how much is manufactured in the production of show. What is the betting the business plan is taken off them at the start of the process, and they get 30 minutes to put in the final changes before the interview phase?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Sure, or else they know the BP is brutal but pick candidates on the basis that they are likely to make for better TV.

I really enjoyed the show though, as far as reality TV goes its definitely one of the better ones out there,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Only caught up now... Scarlet's ad was awful but the whole virtue-signalling female/minority/diversity aspect of her whole idea is IMO exactly what's wrong with it. Far from being "empowering" it's divisive, exclusionary and somewhat sexist.
    When it comes to recruitment and employment generally, the best person should get the job - regardless of what gender they are.

Karina has the better "mass market" idea, great TV ad, and of the two was the more obvious winner of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Still Ill

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Only caught up now... Scarlet's ad was awful but the whole virtue-signalling female/minority/diversity aspect of her whole idea is IMO exactly what's wrong with it. Far from being "empowering" it's divisive, exclusionary and somewhat sexist.
    When it comes to recruitment and employment generally, the best person should get the job - regardless of what gender they are.
    Whilst I completely agree with this, I think she was onto something in that a lot of large companies are keen to be seen as equal opportunity employers, so there may be a gap in the market there.

Her ad was terrible, but that was more down to the other team members than her. Think she was a better candidate overall and the manner in which she handled the presentation was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Still Ill wrote: »
    Whilst I completely agree with this, I think she was onto something in that a lot of large companies are keen to be seen as equal opportunity employers, so there may be a gap in the market there.
    THere's a whole raft of research showing the actual benefits of diversity in recruitment and retention. It's a lot more than 'being keen to be seen'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Throughout most of last night we heard about how great both Scarlett and Carina were and how smart and professional they've been. Sugar even said they were one of the strongest final two's he's ever had. So why don't we see more of that throughout the series? Why is the emphasis always on making fun of the candidates, making them dress up and giving them ridiculous tasks that they've no hope of doing well in? I know the show has always been a bit like this to an extent, but nowadays it's purely just about showing up the contestants. I miss they older series when they went on a journey, grew throughout the series and were given tasks in which they could genuinely excel in.

Yeah agreed but sadly thats the 'reality' of reality tv these days. The poster here who was on the UK Dragons Den has an AMA running at the moment and said his pitch was around about 2 hours which is edited down to about six minutes and doesnt reflect what actually went on, it mainly focuses in on contentious moments and the conflicts the producers want to show. Its very much edited to their strict formula to make tv.

If you needed any more evidence of Lewis being a dolt...

He got a tattoo of Lord Sugar holding a gun..

https://twitter.com/ImLewisEllis/status/1208104933209333761?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No Apprentice for this year I just saw on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I read that this morning. They are doing a look back at classic moments with new commentary from Alan Sugar.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/reality-tv/a32949895/the-apprentice-delayed-2021-bbc/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Obviously no surprise there. I wonder had they already picked the contestants, and if so will they be rolled over to next year. Or perhaps we mighn't have it next year either, who knows. I wonder will tv networks/Netflix eventually start running out of stuff due to lack of filming.

Thats a pity even though it has gotten a bit tired and dated over the last few years.

I wonder might it mean the end of Sugar, he has played around with the idea of giving it up a couple of times in the past so this hiatus might make him think of calling it a day. I couldnt even think who they might get to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thats a pity even though it has gotten a bit tired and dated over the last few years.

I wonder might it mean the end of Sugar, he has played around with the idea of giving it up a couple of times in the past so this hiatus might make him think of calling it a day. I couldnt even think who they might get to replace him.

The way things are right now Richard Branson could be available for autumn filming

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

thebiglad wrote: »
    The way things are right now Richard Branson could be available for autumn filming

Yep, Trump also.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Just flicked on Celebrity MasterChef there and Thomas is one of the contestants. Interested to see how he gets on with it. He'll probably try to sell the finished dinner to Greg and John.

No Apprentice this year as we know however this year the BBC are running "The Apprentice Best Bits" for a few episodes each week at 9pm from Thursday 1st October.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,296 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No Apprentice this year as we know however this year the BBC are running "The Apprentice Best Bits" for a few episodes each week at 9pm from Thursday 1st October.

Sugar is in Australia filming their celebrity version of it, wonder will BBC show that?

Ah Feic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,306 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

This has been a fun trip down memory lane.

Tonight is clips/commentary from the 'tasks in a different country' episodes, which were amongst the best imo.

• Advertisement

yeah the tasks abroad were always good fun. Special shout out to the team that was sent to get an octopus hose and came back with an octopus.

Advertisement