Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Good time to Buy Peloton so :p

I will pass on PELOTON I am already heavily invested in bicycle stock, 11 at the last count, :D not including the kids.

Yesterdays FT article certainly made me sit up and rethink.
    The FT is always prescient on what way the wind will blow down the road.

It made me rethink the whole cloud market, will these unprofitable companies eventually be exposed like the Emperors new clothes.
    The 5G and IOT 'boom' we are promised, will it materialise or is it all locked in a 'proof of concept' cycle (TheReg wrote on this) but still 5G&IOT are far off from penetrating society.
    For now balance sheets dont matter to Wall St., maybe one day soon they will.
    But isnt that the game , there are no rules only profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

RIGOLO wrote: »
    I will pass on PELOTON I am already heavily invested in bicycle stock, 11 at the last count, :D not including the kids.

Yesterdays FT article certainly made me sit up and rethink.
    The FT is always prescient on what way the wind will blow down the road.

It made me rethink the whole cloud market, will these unprofitable companies eventually be exposed like the Emperors new clothes.
    The 5G and IOT 'boom' we are promised, will it materialise or is it all locked in a 'proof of concept' cycle (TheReg wrote on this) but still 5G&IOT are far off from penetrating society.
    For now balance sheets dont matter to Wall St., maybe one day soon they will.
    But isnt that the game , there are no rules only profit.

I hate the word "cloud". Every synopsis of a company you read now has "cloud based" in the first 10 words. It's a bit like saying "uses technology" at this stage. Every modern company has moved to cloud now. In the end it boils down to what the company does. Remove the words "cloud-based solution" and see if the company still makes sense.

With regards to 5G, I agree we're miles off getting benefit from 5G. Does it really matter that I can watch cat videos without buffering in Dublin? Coz that's all 5G is gonna do in 2020/21. The real benefit of 5G hasn't even been developed yet.
    - allowing cars to talk to car companies in real time to aid driverless cars.
    - ensure constant speed to allow a surgeon in Europe perform an operation via robots on a patient in America.
    - allow police cameras to be consistently monitored in real time to prevent crimes before they happen.
    - traffic lights that can be adjusted remotely to allow for traffic flow.

All these are done to some extent at the moment but 5G will give us the consistency for these to be commonplace and reliable. I'm sure Elon Musk and Silicon Valley have ideas that we can't even fathom right now. 5G will be the infrastructure that allows their ideas come to fruition.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I hate the word "cloud". Every synopsis of a company you read now has "cloud based" in the first 10 words. It's a bit like saying "uses technology" at this stage. Every modern company has moved to cloud now. In the end it boils down to what the company does. Remove the words "cloud-based solution" and see if the company still makes sense.

With regards to 5G, I agree we're miles off getting benefit from 5G. Does it really matter that I can watch cat videos without buffering in Dublin? Coz that's all 5G is gonna do in 2020/21. The real benefit of 5G hasn't even been developed yet.
    - ensure constant speed to allow a surgeon in Europe perform an operation via robots on a patient in America.
    - allow police cameras to be consistently monitored in real time to prevent crimes before they happen.

All these are done to some extent at the moment but 5G will give us the consistency for these to be commonplace and reliable. I'm sure Elon Musk and Silicon Valley have ideas that we can't even fathom right now. 5G will be the infrastructure that allows their ideas come to fruition.

I concur. To some degree its become a meaningless term at this point. They covered your exact point on CNBC SquakBox this AM, they got to the point where they were discussing if they themselves the 'physical presenters' were in the cloud. I love when they just riff stream of conciousness on whats happening in the market and go off on tangents.

Looks like the market are following our lead, who knew Boards was so trendsetting . FSLY is taking a big hit as are many tech and 'fluffy things in the sky' companies.

5G wil have benefits but the jurys out on when, its like many silicon valley creations .. Its a great solution looking for a problem!
    GLTA .. pay heed , the hedge funds and shorts are coming for your lunch money and there are no teachers around .
    afternoon cycle time.. portfolio is green so far lets see how much we lose on this spin when the US opens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

At the moment Microsoft are moving from selling consoles for money to selling gamepass subscriptions for money. I can stream from the Xbox library now to my mobile, pc , Android TV box.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

I concur. To some degree its become a meaningless term at this point. They covered your exact point on CNBC SquakBox this AM, they got to the point where they were discussing if they themselves the 'physical presenters' were in the cloud. I love when they just riff stream of conciousness on whats happening in the market and go off on tangents.

Looks like the market are following our lead, who knew Boards was so trendsetting . FSLY is taking a big hit as are many tech and 'fluffy things in the sky' companies.

5G wil have benefits but the jurys out on when, its like many silicon valley creations .. Its a great solution looking for a problem!
    GLTA .. pay heed , the hedge funds and shorts are coming for your lunch money and there are no teachers around .
    afternoon cycle time.. portfolio is green so far lets see how much we lose on this spin when the US opens

Personally I think FSLY will be oversold today and might be a buying opportunity - but everything in the clowd is overvalued so who knows.

Your CNBC comment made me think of the new Amazon TV show uploaded. I enjoyed series 1 at least. Very smart.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7826376/

• Advertisement

Been a good one to buy the dips. Since July it's gone $78 - $102 - $78 - $116 - $78 - $95 - $78 - $95.

You can see where it's got very solid support, will break out north eventually (probably once the moving averages catch up)

Updating my Fastly tracker, YTD is now...
    $78 - $102 - $78 - $116 - $78 - $95 - $78 - $128 - $86 (currently, might even bounce to $78 again today?)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

We Work was & is the best & prime example of a company pigging backing on "Tech" when its core business was so far removed from tech or the cloud

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

Updating my Fastly tracker, YTD is now...
    $78 - $102 - $78 - $116 - $78 - $95 - $78 - $128 - $86 (currently, might even bounce to $78 again today?)

What's your thoughts, will it go lower or bounce back? I'm tempted to go in but think there might be some pain tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

DutchYurt wrote: »
    What's your thoughts, will it go lower or bounce back? I'm tempted to go in but think there might be some pain tomorrow

In the same boat was hoping it would touch 78-79 levels, would just hold jumping today though.

with Red everywhere, what are folks looking at? I'm down 5% this week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

In the same boat was hoping it would touch 78-79 levels, would just hold jumping today though.

with Red everywhere, what are folks looking at? I'm down 5% this week :(

I'm still green on this red day, thank God for GameStop and Providence.

Only thing I want to buy more of is UpWork as I've said before. Haven't had the time to research as much as I would have liked in recent weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Kilboor wrote: »
    I'm still green on this red day, thank God for GameStop and Providence.

Only thing I want to buy more of is UpWork as I've said before. Haven't had the time to research as much as I would have liked in recent weeks

Thank God for NIO here, green 5% when absolutely every other stock of mine is red lol.

As a matter of interest how many stocks are people holding at any one time ? I don't like to go above 5 personally, and usually love holding 3 well researched long plays leaving 2 for some swing trading if I'm up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

I have about 17, ideally would like around 10 so I can keep a proper eye on them...some are long term some short term and some pure gamble...yesterday I took a position in Navistar which fell 20% they've a offer from VW subsidiary which expires on Friday.

I have about 17, ideally would like around 10 so I can keep a proper eye on them...some are long term some short term and some pure gamble...yesterday I took a position in Navistar which fell 20% they've a offer from VW subsidiary which expires on Friday.

My anxiety couldn't deal with that many :D

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭jams100

As a matter of interest how many stocks are people holding at any one time ?

I'm only holding 24 different stocks atm, might diversify my portfolio soon :pac:

anyone listening to those 4 bats on CNBC Global debate ..
    I shudder to think these ones are in charge of monetary policy ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Holding 8, two of which I've no intention of touching. The other 6 could be gone before christmas if they make the right moves. No rush if they don't. Ideally 4/5 long-term and 1/2 to speculate and I'm working towards addressing the balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

p to the e wrote: »
    I was half tempted to just get out as I've been in the red with both Aminex and Solo for some years (my break even point is about 1.5p- 2p) but I think with this new deal in place the outlook is good. Solo only have a 25% stake in this so it's not as important for them but this was big news for Aminex. I'd say no one really knows where this share could go but you saw just how much of a reaction there was with the share price today. I predict this could go on for another few days. I actually picked up some more this morning when it started to take off. Was very close to buying yesterday at 0.4p but what you gonna do? I tend to keep an eye on the chat here to keep me up to date.

I'd advise people to look into Aminex (AEX). A stock like this is very sensitive to news flow so do your due diligence. With upcoming elections in Tanzania things might move a bit slow until after the elections or the current government might push them through to use as election points. I think there's plenty of legs left in this stock so don't go getting a case of FOMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I have eight stock and I'm a newcomer to online trading.

I have one bank, one online retailer, two pharma, two energy, two food and I'm going to pick two cheaper stock in mining or commodities as a bit of a punt. I'm hoping to keep my number of holdings to a max of ten.

DutchYurt wrote: »
    Oh it'll be back, shure nearly every website in the world uses it, Google, Amazon, Microsoft. Fastly is the biggest company that you'll never hear of. It gets very streched tho, it seems to go up a lot then check back fairly regularly. I'd nearly prefer it to do a slower climb next time. This whole 30% up in a month that it's done 5 times this year is unsustainable.

• Advertisement

As a matter of interest how many stocks are people holding at any one time ? I don't like to go above 5 personally, and usually love holding 3 well researched long plays leaving 2 for some swing trading if I'm up for it.
    I've 25 in my regular portfolio, plus 6 SPACs. I keep the SPAC's in a seperate tracker as they tend to trade differently (do nothing for a month then 30% in a day.

somethings going on. Wall St is positioning itself for the election but Ive not yet figured out how they will hedge.

Another red day across the indicies but the value of a diversified portfolio leaves the RIGOLO household in the green
    Must be all the penny stocks I trade... or maybe its NIO, guns and SCHW .

SCHW is a safe place to park some cash I believe after a potential profit taking dip in the am, steady earnings announced and an upcoming merger with AMTD proceeding thru the hurdles , to create a trading behemoth

be careful everyone you dont fit into this bracket, outlined in a CNBC read today . I know I dont cos Im not young.. jury is out if im part two though
    'Nightmare' U.S. stock valuations driven by 'young, dumb' investors, fund manager says

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/15/smead-nightmare-us-stock-valuations-driven-by-young-dumb-investors.html

be careful everyone you dont fit into this bracket, outlined in a CNBC read today . I know I dont cos Im not young.. jury is out if im part two though

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/15/smead-nightmare-us-stock-valuations-driven-by-young-dumb-investors.html
    Rigolo, you seem more experienced than most here, do you think that these young investors they talk about have enough weight to mvoe the market? I would have thought they are only a drop in the pond compred to the investment banks. Whenever I see a big stock movement it seems to be backed by the kind of volume that college students don't have access to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Rigolo, you seem more experienced than most here, do you think that these young investors they talk about have enough weight to mvoe the market? I would have thought they are only a drop in the pond compred to the investment banks. Whenever I see a big stock movement it seems to be backed by the kind of volume that college students don't have access to

https://ofdollarsanddata.com/robinhood-trader/

Bit of a long read but basically they don't affect most stocks but do have some affect on say Kodak

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Comhra wrote: »
    I have eight stock and I'm a newcomer to online trading.

I have one bank, one online retailer, two pharma, two energy, two food and I'm going to pick two cheaper stock in mining or commodities as a bit of a punt. I'm hoping to keep my number of holdings to a max of ten.

Seems like an awful lot of stocks, especially for a newcomer. How will you have time to manage all those shares?

Pharma, energy and mining, you are in for a rollercoaster and hope you aren't getting killed on the spread. Why so many stocks so quick?

Personally, I will never hold more than 5 or 6. Don't have time for much more and I see it as, it is easier to get 4 out or 5 right than 8 out of 10. Will never invest in a non liquid share (IMO is usually below 50miln market cap). As for penny stocks have always stayed away so no experience there. I was told to look at it from the angle of a share going from 1p to 2p. It is the same as going from $100 to $200 but we all see it as just moving a penny to make a fortune, except there will be likely less risk in the latter and a tight spread.

Each to their own though and if you make a killing on them great, if not I hope you are playing with money you can afford to lose.

somethings going on. Wall St is positioning itself for the election but Ive not yet figured out how they will hedge.

Another red day across the indicies but the value of a diversified portfolio leaves the RIGOLO household in the green
    Must be all the penny stocks I trade... or maybe its NIO, guns and SCHW .

SCHW is a safe place to park some cash I believe after a potential profit taking dip in the am, steady earnings announced and an upcoming merger with AMTD proceeding thru the hurdles , to create a trading behemoth

Read the article, talking about PE ratios which have been proven to be outdated and largely irrelevant since pricing developed. PE cannot be taken solely either and minimum at a sector level if at all.

This guys funds are doing poor too, not one even close to beating the S&P BEFORE FEES since 2008. His best losing fund this year is 15% behind the S&P too!! The fund manager is full of s***

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

PHG wrote: »
    Seems like an awful lot of stocks, especially for a newcomer. How will you have time to manage all those shares?

Pharma, energy and mining, you are in for a rollercoaster and hope you aren't getting killed on the spread. Why so many stocks so quick?

Personally, I will never hold more than 5 or 6. Don't have time for much more and I see it as, it is easier to get 4 out or 5 right than 8 out of 10. Will never invest in a non liquid share (IMO is usually below 50miln market cap). As for penny stocks have always stayed away so no experience there. I was told to look at it from the angle of a share going from 1p to 2p. It is the same as going from $100 to $200 but we all see it as just moving a penny to make a fortune, except there will be likely less risk in the latter and a tight spread.

Each to their own though and if you make a killing on them great, if not I hope you are playing with money you can afford to lose.

I'm retired and have all day for this. I have some other investments so I'm not totally new to the game and I have a certain amount of money set aside for this online venture.

I have learnt some investment lessons the hard way in the past so hopefully I'm a bit more savvy at this stage of my life. :) Just feeling my way along with a newly opened DeGiro account. Some great info and advice here on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I'm at least 25 stocks

I figured I can't buy us etfs anymore (thanks EU you robbing b#stards) so ill buy the top companies in the s+p 500

Slowly making my way through the top holdings

It's very boring, DKNG and NVTA are about as exciting as my portfolio gets

Comhra wrote: »
    I'm retired and have all day for this. I have some other investments so I'm not totally new to the game and I have a certain amount of money set aside for this online venture.

I have learnt some investment lessons the hard way in the past so hopefully I'm a bit more savvy at this stage of my life. :) Just feeling my way along with a newly opened DeGiro account. Some great info and advice here on this forum.

When you said newcomer I automatically assumed student or early 20's :pac:

That's good to hear you have cash set aside. Good luck with it and congrats on the retirement.

There is a book Trading in the Zone by Mark Douglas, highly recommend it. It is about the psychology of trading. Would also recommend The Naked trader by Robbi Burns, he waffles on a bit but the book is easy to read but his principles are sound. My trading strategy is not dissimilar to his (hence why I probably like it but I use a bit more TA for entry points) but I would class these 2 books as must reads for starting out.

Yes there is decent info but remember we are all keyboard warriors and could be talking pure ****e :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

I have about 10-15, mostly spac's which have all been a bit screwed by nikola tbh. They are not the same cashcow as they were.

My best-performing stocks are the ones mywallst picked. Seriously if I didn't have to save for a mortgage I'd be putting money into their stock of the month every month. Their performance is insane. If you want stocks you can just pick and hold and not even look at i'd pay the yearly sub and just pick and forget. I think its around 80-90e a year. I have got that back already with some of their picks 60% up in a month or two.

Advertisement