Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

You can't overlook the fact the cancelled event from March was being headlined by Moxley.

Undoubtedly big time and another stadium card that would have garnered much discussion not only locally but around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Ture but the event was pretty much sold out before Moxley was set for the show. I think it was like four or five weeks before the event. OTT had built good cred with the big shows people bought tickets well in advance of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Our Over The Top Wrestling documentry The Ring That Tied The Room Together will be showcased as part of the 11th Underground Cinema Film Festival this September and also at the Irish Film Festival London website for the month of August!

You can check it out for free if ylu havent got a chamce to watch it at following link y registering for a password -

https://www.irishfilmfestivallondon.com/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Omackeral wrote: »
    We just need people to step up. Martina, LJ, Liam Royal, Corvin, B Cool , a couple of imports.... it’ll be grand.

Looks like Liam Royal has retired from wrestling, according to his Twitter feed this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭showpony1

Still no word on OTT trying to do any social distance shows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

showpony1 wrote: »
    Still no word on OTT trying to do any social distance shows?

They don't have a school

They'd lose their bollocks running anywhere indoors that could hold a ring and 25 socially distant people (the 50 person max would include workers and staff)

It's too risky running an outdoor show in late August/early September.

Add in the fact you can't use any international talent....... It's really not worth their effort.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    They don't have a school

They'd lose their bollocks running anywhere indoors that could hold a ring and 25 socially distant people (the 50 person max would include workers and staff)

It's too risky running an outdoor show in late August/early September.

Add in the fact you can't use any international talent....... It's really not worth their effort.

how are phoenix professional wrestling able to do it then?

how are phoenix professional wrestling able to do it then?

From what I can gather, they're training in an industrial unit with enough space to seat a few fans, so no real overheads re:venue rental, ring van, etc. If ott can get a big enough training unit, they'll probably do something on a small scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭ThePott

Here's the Phoenix show as mentioned btw. It's in their new training facility, dubbed the Phoenix studio which as you can guess from the name this is being done very much with the idea that it can be filmed and will be available to watch after the fact. There will be a very limited number of fans in attendance.
    https://twitter.com/PHOENIXwrasslin/status/1295344220627259392

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Ah the ol' gym shows.
    Normally they are a bit crap as the atmosphere is never the same. But in these challenging times they are perfectly fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭ThePott

Last Saturday we had the Phoenix show - Unlock, Stock and Two Metres Apart.
    Very limited fans in attendance, temperature checks at the door, masks, spacing, contact tracing logs, the lot.

Was a great show, here's some notes. Again full transparency I was announcing for the show. The plan was for this to be available to watch so please check it out if it does go up. Winners in bold.

Matt Skyler vs. Deano Power
    The first of 3 matches on the card to qualify for the main event, the winner of which faces Owen Richards and Terry Thatcher at the next show to be the first Phoenix Champion. Skyler was totally despised by those there, he's doing great as a heel. Deano had the crowd behind him and was a great opener to get the fans hot. Was a stiff enough looking match but the lads had great chemistry. Skyler kicked Deano below the belt with the ref distracted and got the win.

Riordan O'Connor w/Pedro vs. Mr. Charlie
    Very fun match. Crowd loved Mr. Charlie and Riordan's assistant (?) Pedro. Riordan is one to watch and has been for a while, he was excellent. Mr. Charlie is one of the best characters going right now for my money. Fans loved the match, inside Mr. Charlie's box was a 'cologne' but suspiciously it knocked Pedro out cold when he tried it on. Apparently Mr. Charlie said it hadn't been tested yet, dude is creepy haha.

Raven Creed vs. Corey Jefferys
    Excellent match from two pillars of the Cork scene. As always the fans love Raven who continued to plead with Corey to stay down. Corey has been excellent since his return but is still trying to put it all together after Matt Skyler turned on him and beat seven shades out of him. Skyler made his presence known again when the ref was checking on Raven, he popped up and sprayed Jefferys in the eyes. Unbeknownst to Raven or the ref. Raven got the win but there was a lot of respect between both.

Thomas Van Manson vs. Sam the Sham
    Great showing from two of the upcoming Phoenix wrestlers. Thomas reminded me of Taichi from NJPW, he had an excellent entrance and creeped the crowd out a bit. The audience loved Sam and were very behind him. Two guys to watch over the next few shows I think.

Minister Flint came out next to address the crowd. He spoke how as a mamber of the Church of Irish Wrestling that he approved of the show. Eventually though he was confronted by Nobody, who towered over him. Eventually Steve Savage came out and footage was shown of him violently beating up other wrestlers during what seemed to be a training session. He tore into the fans too. Eventually The Skull Collector (long assumed and seemingly confirmed to be Billy Bedlam) came out and cut a promo. Until finally a cloaked figure in a mask came out to be revealed as Billy Bedlam. Amazing entrance and crowd ate it up. As a result of this a tag match was made.

Billy Bedlam & The Skull Collector vs. Nobody & Steve Savage
    Really fun match that was pretty mental, if only to see the Skull Collector and Bedlam in the ring at the same time. At one stage the lights went out and when they came back, Bedlam had William in hand. Which he used as a weapon to get the win. I don't think the referee noticed but I certainly noticed that Bedlam had some brass knuckles inside of William.

Matt Skyler vs. Riordan O'Connor vs. Raven Creed
    Main event which was to decide who would enter the championship triple threat at the next show. Excellent match. These three played off each other very well. Skyler looked incredibly vicious here and was definitely the target of a lot of the crowd's ire. Corey Jefferys came looking for revenge though and ended up brawling with Skyler into the backstage. As a result Riordan managed to get the best of Raven and won. Meaning the next show's main event will be Riordan O' Connor vs. Terry Thatcher vs. Owen Richards for the Phoenix Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ryan Smile has reportedly passed away :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ryan Smile has reportedly passed away :(

F*CK. :( He was an incredible performer. Shocking to see the amount of wrestlers
    on social media sharing contact info for the Samaritans tonight in light of this.

According to UKFF and other sources it looks like suicide at this point :( Sad.

I think there is probably going to be an elephant in the room with this one and that's because there was a scandal about him in 2018 and he never wrestled since 2018. One could question if that played a role... In any case RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

Some of people offering sympathy, are the ones who pulled the trigger!

That stands for fans and workers in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

According to UKFF and other sources it looks like suicide at this point :( Sad.

I think there is probably going to be an elephant in the room with this one and that's because there was a scandal about him in 2018 and he never wrestled since 2018. One could question if that played a role... In any case RIP.

Seen a few people on twitter say there was a bitta scandal about him?
    Was it the thing with his promotion and not paying back ticket money after they went bust or was it something else I missed?

Seen a few things about people a while back telling him to jump of a bridge and some other bad things.

Very sad news.
    He had some great matches for OTT.

ciano316 wrote: »
    Seen a few people on twitter say there was a bitta scandal about him?
    Was it the thing with his promotion and not paying back ticket money after they went bust or was it something else I missed?

Seen a few things about people a while back telling him to jump of a bridge and some other bad things.

Very sad news.
    He had some great matches for OTT.

He was accused of accordingly sending nude pics to a teenager in 2018 (I read she was 16/17 years old). His name was brought up again a few months ago with this SpeakOutMovement. From what I hear and read it was nothing concrete. One person accusing type of situation.
    Some of people offering sympathy, are the ones who pulled the trigger!

That stands for fans and workers in this case

I fear you are right. Then again, let's be honest... a lot of people change their "opinion" on the way the wind blows. It's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

In yesterdays Sunday papers, the sunday world and sunday life it was reported that Brian corr got a 2 year probation for being a peado and sending pics of himself to a child

Then that child reported it to wrestling personality (a fan) Richard Montgomery and he went on to abuse said child and he got locked up in a seperate case last year.

Sad to say I had Richard as a friend on facebook but he is now deleted

Just read the news articles. So he sent nude pics to a 14 year old boy. That's the end of his career. Then again, he has not wrestled in 2 and a half years so it looked like the end anyways.

The wrestling world is weird. I have heard loads of things over the years in the Irish wrestling scene alone. All ranging from "ok that's a little weird" to full on "what the.... That's mental"

Either there are a lot of weirdos and creeps in this world or the wrestling scene just attracts them. Probably a bit of column A and probably a bit from column B as Abe Simpson says.

I see Wrestling Mania's Facebook has gone, has the shop closed?
    that would be a sad day for Irish Wrestling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I see Wrestling Mania's Facebook has gone, has the shop closed?
    that would be a sad day for Irish Wrestling.

Often wondered how that place ever stayed open. Surely the market for shirts and DVDs these days isn't enough to keep it afloat? Prices were poor enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Often wondered how that place ever stayed open. Surely the market for shirts and DVDs these days isn't enough to keep it afloat? Prices were poor enough too.

Im not one for ragging on an independent business, but its hardly a sad day. The shop never offered much and their prices were very infalted. Never felt the need to buy anything from it as it hadnt much stock and it had inflated prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah it was cheaper to buy from abroad in most cases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

it was a good shop for what it was in fairness, and he was very knowledgeable about wrestling when you went in to buy anything, i wish him well in whatever he decides to do in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Loved going there as a kid when visiting Dublin, first shop I'd get my mother to bring us to. So it's sad that it seems they're out of business.

In later times it really did become more of an MMA store than anything. Made sense with the rise of popularity in MMA in this country and the decline of popularity in pro wrestling. Suppose the decline of DVD and the upsurge in sites like PWTees probably hastened the death and Covid was the final nail in the coffin. Can't say I loved the merch they stocked in recent times either.

montyrebel wrote: »
    i wish him well in whatever he decides to do in the future

In his future endeavours, surely? :D

Credit where it's due, niall opened a niche business just before a recession, and kept it going for 15+ years. That takes a fair amount of guts and nuts, and hopefully if it's the end, he got out without taking a major financial hit.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Credit where it's due, niall opened a niche business just before a recession, and kept it going for 15+ years. That takes a fair amount of guts and nuts, and hopefully if it's the end, he got out without taking a major financial hit.

Without a doubt, it takes a huge amount of self belief and risk to open a business. I wonder how profitable it was though.

Yes he kept it going, but how much money did he earn? This country makes it very hard for any new small business to turn a profit.

As a big wrestling fan I never actually bought much from it. With WWEshop being more accessible over the last 10 years, it was always better value to shop there for merch.

Have to chime in myself and say the shop was way too expensive as well. You were better off going online to get an item cheaper. It was always the case too as I remember people saying that in 2005/2006.

• Advertisement

Have to chime in myself and say the shop was way too expensive as well. You were better off going online to get an item cheaper. It was always the case too as I remember people saying that in 2005/2006.

2005 there was very little else a fan could do apart from order off ebay.

In 2000 I got a Y2J shirt in Virgin Megastore for 15 pounds (say 20 euro).

In 2005 I remember looking in WrestleMania and being offered an AJ Styles shirt for 35 euros. It wasnt worth it even if it was the only shop avaialble at the time selling a selection of WWE shirts.

I went home, grabbed an few images off the web, burned them on a disc and went to teh tee shirt printing shop below. Got 2 shirts that looked legit from the tee shirt shop from 30 bucks.

Advertisement