Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect Trilogy remastered

Options

Comments

Hate corridor fights you say?? Well, ...umm..., let me show you our lovely new Hall Fighting experience

• Registered Users Posts: 45,060 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mr.Buzz wrote: »
    Oh buddy, it's all downhill from now on :(

ME3, up until the last 10 minutes is BRILLIANT. The crap ending casts a shadow over the entire series for me, but its still a very very good game. Especially if you have the DLC - the Citadel DLC is very enjoyable. The Krogan story line is quality in 3 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,490 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Agree with Mitch, 3 is hugely enjoyable. Think of the whole think as an ending instead of the last 10 minutes. Great to wrap up so many epic storylines from the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Mr.Buzz wrote: »
    Oh buddy, it's all downhill from now on :(

I heard it wasn't the greatest but surely it can't be that bad? I finished ME2 last night so I'm dying to jump straight back in.

I'm seriously questioning my final decision though!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

ME3, up until the last 10 minutes is BRILLIANT. The crap ending casts a shadow over the entire series for me, but its still a very very good game. Especially if you have the DLC - the Citadel DLC is very enjoyable. The Krogan story line is quality in 3 as well.

Have to agree. Also, I'm normally not too fussed about DLC but Citadel was fantastic and a great farewell to the series.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I really enjoyed all the DLC for ME3. Citadel was the highlight, as it gave us the goodbye that we all wanted, but the rest were enjoyable. Leviathan was cool, seeing the race that created the Reapers, and even Omega had some great combat (and some excellent abilities). Definitely one of the games that had some worthwhile DLC.

Also, Lair of the Shadow Broker in ME2 was one of my favourite all time DLC's.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I really enjoyed all the DLC for ME3. Citadel was the highlight, as it gave us the goodbye that we all wanted, but the rest were enjoyable. Leviathan was cool, seeing the race that created the Reapers, and even Omega had some great combat (and some excellent abilities). Definitely one of the best games for worthwhile DLC.

Also, Lair of the Shadow Broker in ME2 was one of my favourite all time DLC's.

Great new vid showing some hidden history from the Mass Effect series voiced by the man himself, Commander Shepard.

Was looking for a Mass Effect Trilogy thread, thought there was a more popular one for the last couple of years but this popped up and even though the next gen referred to PS4 and XoneX, thought it was still appropriate.

The cast are having a reunion on a podcast soon. Between this and the leaks showing the trilogy remaster for PS4, One X and Switch, an announcement has to be imminent (like the reaper threat).

https://twitter.com/NerdAppropriate/status/1308778907164962817?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 45,060 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i wonder if we are also going to hear about Mass Effect 5 soon, whatever it might be called.

Mike Bithell said a while back on play/watch/listen that most of the time when you hear about a remake/remaster its because there is a new game in the series they will be looking to sell on the back of it.

With the sour taste Andromeda left (i actually had fun with it, and thought that galaxy was ripe for better made sequels) I have always thought the release of a trilogy remaster would be a solid way of building hype for a new title, especially if it was more closely alligned with the original trilogy than Andromeda was.

Will also be interesting to see what they would do with the trilogy if (when?) it gets announced. is it a straight upres or will they put the combat style from 2/3 into 1? When I've gone back to 1, a few times at this stage, it is always the combat I struggle with for a while. I remember Bioware putting out a questionaire years and years ago asking what fans would want a trilogy rerelease to look like, with options such as one long game, same combat in all 3, combat kept as was etc.

• Advertisement

I think if the remaster is real, they should keep each base game the same combat wise. I'd be all for 1 having the combat of 2/3 but you have too many people who like 1 the way it is as more rpg heavy than action. It has such a great story though, would love to see 1 updated a bit. I read a rumor that the multiplayer would be completely left out. I thought the MP was fun and maybe if they did one separate online mode instead of separate ones for 2 & 3, I'd be okay with that.

As it stands the rumour is, announcement early October with release mid October.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I think if the remaster is real, they should keep each base game the same combat wise. I'd be all for 1 having the combat of 2/3 but you have too many people who like 1 the way it is as more rpg heavy than action. It has such a great story though, would love to see 1 updated a bit. I read a rumor that the multiplayer would be completely left out. I thought the MP was fun and maybe if they did one separate online mode instead of separate ones for 2 & 3, I'd be okay with that.

As it stands the rumour is, announcement early October with release mid October.

Gonna take a wild guess and say it's not a remaster, but a remake on the current frostbite engine.

Using it as a project to finally iron out the issues and unify their approach to RPGs on frostbite but a project that they can then turn around and actually sell.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

2020 and still waiting for the remaster trilogy :pac:

2020 and still waiting for the remaster trilogy :pac:

Mulder *I want to believe*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Varik wrote: »
    Gonna take a wild guess and say it's not a remaster, but a remake on the current frostbite engine.

Using it as a project to finally iron out the issues and unify their approach to RPGs on frostbite but a project that they can then turn around and actually sell.

source.gif

Rumours of early October announcement stacking up with EA releasing Star Wars Squadrons on 2nd October. I guess trying to get one space game out of the way before announcing another, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Have a bad feeling bits going to be a minimal effort remaster ala dark souls remastered

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

daheadonu wrote: »
    Have a bad feeling bits going to be a minimal effort remaster ala dark souls remastered

Of course it will be. The code will just be slapped into the latest Unreal engine iteration and everyone can see how badly they have aged, particularly the first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

The first has aged badly because it was just slapped into the latest Unreal engine version.

If they fixed that and the awful inventory, they could call it a day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a lot wrong with the first. Boring environments and copy pasting.

2 and 3 are fun though just i think they are overrated and there's much better examples of western rpgs.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's a lot wrong with the first. Boring environments and copy pasting.

2 and 3 are fun though just i think they are overrated and there's much better examples of western rpgs.

Is 3 even an RPG?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

daheadonu wrote: »

Was thinking the very same. It'll be very bare bones.

It'll probably do mega numbers so the least they could do is throw in a handful of new cut scenes towards the end of ME3.

With that said, I can't wait to go through ME2 again and completely ignore Jacob again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Varik wrote: »

Just make it in Unreal Engine 4 & stop pushing Frostbite.

Well this is interesting. Article from Jeff Grubb, main leaker of the trilogy remaster rumours since may, now says game will launch in 2021 as sources close to the project say the devs are not happy with 1 just yet and afraid it will put players off pushing through to experience 2 and 3. They are saying no multiplayer at all but the bundle, called Mass Effect: Legendary Edition, will include all the dlc. He says it's on him for disappointing fans by saying it was due to be announced and released in October but the devs want to make 1 better.

https://venturebeat.com/2020/09/25/mass-effect-legendary-edition-is-still-coming-but-not-this-year/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Can't help but feel the mako is still a big worry in ME1. Probably need to balance out the 3rd game too if they removed the multiplayer as the Galactic Readiness was a lot easier to achieve if you played online.
    I assume they will wait to announce it on November 7th as that is the big community date. Delaying it until 2021 increases the chances of a next gen version too.

I'm surprised with no multiplayer.

It was brilliant and it's not like EA to turn down a chance at loot boxes. ME3 was my gateway drug to microtransactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

J. Marston wrote: »
    I'm surprised with no multiplayer.

It was brilliant and it's not like EA to turn down a chance at loot boxes. ME3 was my gateway drug to microtransactions.

I still stand by my statement that ME3 has THE best arsenal of weapons of any shooter - it just sucked that they were behind a grind/pay-wall and I had to ARRRR in order to appreciate them all.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I still stand by my statement that ME3 has THE best arsenal of weapons of any shooter - it just sucked that they were behind a grind/pay-wall and I had to ARRRR in order to appreciate them all.

Agree. I haven't played an MP game since with a better feeling range of assault rifles and sniper rifles.

The Mattock, Cerberus Harrier, Kishock and Javelin were amazing.

Now I really want to play it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Of course it will be. The code will just be slapped into the latest Unreal engine iteration and everyone can see how badly they have aged, particularly the first game.
    Minor problem with that is the fact that a lot of game systems would have been written in UnrealScript, something that's not supported in UE4. **** knows how much but given the scale of the game, I'd wager it's enough to make the options for a re-release either sticking with the existing codebase or a full remake in UE4/Frostbite.

The latter option is a bit of a difficult one, the only studio EA have internally with UE4 experience is Respawn and they're unlikely to take the project on. They could farm it out to another studio but it's unlikely there's a studio out there with the experience and reputation to take on the IP in a similar manner to Petroglyph and the C&C remake. Moving everything to Frostbite would be a huge undertaking for the trilogy and something that EA would probably be unwilling to invest in, especially when that effort could be put into the next iteration in the franchise.

What's far more likely is keeping the series in UE3 and just heavily modifying it. Not necessarily a bad thing really, the likes of Mortal Kombat 11 show what can be done if you put some time into the renderer at the very least. Sounds like they're paying attention to the gameplay side of things too which is somewhat reassuring for the reasons already mentioned with ME1.

• Advertisement

Advertisement