Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New price for VW ID4?

• 13-10-2020 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

I can't figure out if the price has come down in the budget or not?

Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

Looks like the VRT has halved for full Electric vehicles. 14% down to 7%.
    The cheapest Model 3 should now be 1400 less

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

boardzz wrote: »

great news - thanks for that!

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

But the 5k grant is being tapered off for electric vehicles. Up to a price of 40k I think. So less vrt to pay, but possibly no 5k grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

But the 5k grant is being tapered off for electric vehicles. Up to a price of 40k I think. So less vrt to pay, but possibly no 5k grant.

The grant is gone for hybrids and plug-ins at the end of the year, there is still the €5k relief for EVs but only those with a purchase price up to €40k, it gets tapered after that so there is nothing at all if the car has an open market selling price of more than €50k new.

Also, it's not just EVs which are entitled to 7% VRT - any combustion engined vehicle with CO2 below 50 g/km will get 7% VRT - so that's pretty much every plug in hybrid you can think of. Even the ones that are over 50 g/km are still well under the next threshold of 80 g/km, so they will be eligible for 9% VRT.

So maybe for very relatively cheap EVs there is a price advantage over a plug in hybrid, but for more expensive cars a PHEV is going to be cheaper to buy - not to mention infinitely more convenient to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

boardzz wrote: »

Model 3 SR+ is going up in price , not down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,759 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

The grant is gone for hybrids and plug-ins at the end of the year, there is still the €5k relief for EVs but only those with a purchase price up to €40k, it gets tapered after that so there is nothing at all if the car has an open market selling price of more than €50k new.

that's a serious slap to Toyota and a major misjudgement on the whole Hybrid/EV/BEV issue. Hybrid is a very good choice for a lot of people.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

galwaytt wrote: »
    that's a serious slap to Toyota and a major misjudgement on the whole Hybrid/EV/BEV issue. Hybrid is a very good choice for a lot of people.

The grant is gone but that will be counteracted by the VRT going down for Hybrids, based on emissions. Corolla Hybrid is going down in price

Also, it's not just EVs which are entitled to 7% VRT - any combustion engined vehicle with CO2 below 50 g/km will get 7% VRT - so that's pretty much every plug in hybrid you can think of. Even the ones that are over 50 g/km are still well under the next threshold of 80 g/km, so they will be eligible for 9% VRT.

So maybe for very relatively cheap EVs there is a price advantage over a plug in hybrid, but for more expensive cars a PHEV is going to be cheaper to buy - not to mention infinitely more convenient to use.

I thought the VRT grant was based on the price before any grants applied. ID4 might be ~42k on the road after all the current grants (10k) but that's a 52k car. Would lead me to believe there's no VRT grant anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I thought the VRT grant was based on the price before any grants applied. ID4 might be ~42k on the road after all the current grants (10k) but that's a 52k car. Would lead me to believe there's no VRT grant anymore.

True. The VRT will be tapered though.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

80sDiesel wrote: »

I dont think so, not based on the wording they used anyway.

What they have said is that a car with an OMSP of €50k+ gets zero VRT relief.

The tapering only happens for cars that are between €40k-€50k OMSP (i.e. before grant)

All BEV's get the reduced rate though of 7% (instead of 14% today).

And presumably the SEAI grant of €5k is continuing for all BEV's regardless of OMSP.

• Advertisement

Yes you are right.

So would that put the id4 at ~47 on the road? 5k more expensive?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It'll be tapered from €5k at €40k to zero at €50k — so a €52k car will have zero VRT relief.

Yes you are right.

So would that put the id4 at ~47 on the road? 5k more expensive?

It will go up a little I'd say.

I think the base ID.4 1st is about €54k OMSP and hence €44k to the customer after grants.

If you now remove the €5k VRT relief and reduce the VRT from 14% to 7% you get an after grant price of ~€45,500 so ~€1500 increase.

Having said that, there are a few more moving parts also that are hard to predict like the VAT going back up to 23% on 1 Mar 2021 and VW will probably also adjust prices with VAT and VRT changing, so who knows where the dust will settle.

I don't think the base ID.4 OMSP is €54k because the OMSP is supposed to be the value of the car before VRT and VAT.

MJohnston wrote: »
    I don't think the base ID.4 OMSP is €54k because the OMSP is supposed to be the value of the car before VRT and VAT.

Thats news to me.

OMSP is the market sell price which would include VAT and VRT. The fact that the govt gives VRT relief and a grant wouldnt change the OMSP as those reliefs/grants can be taken away at any time... at least thats what I thought anyway.

KCross wrote: »
    Thats news to me.

OMSP is the market sell price which would include VAT and VRT. The fact that the govt gives VRT relief and a grant wouldnt change the OMSP... at least thats what I thought anyway.

OMSP is used to calculate the VRT for any given vehicle so I don't think it could include VRT. I think I was wrong about VAT though, I think that is included.

Either way, the OMSP of the ID.4 can't be €54k because then it would cost more than that after VRT!

Ah yes. True. So God knows how it's actually calculated.

So if €54k is OMSP including VRT @ 14% + VAT @ 21% how does one calculate the OMSP? Is the VAT calculated against the OMSP or the OMSP + VRT?
    Similar question for VRT, is that calculated against the OMSP or OMSP + VAT?

Potentially we're talking about an OMSP of €40k, meaning €8400 VAT, and then (calculating VRT off of the OMSP price) €2800 in VRT @ 7%. So pre grants that €51200. Minus the 5k grant and then being 40k OMSP the full VRT should be waived?? Sounds wrong. If that was the case it'd be €43800 now.

Ah, Google is handy.

VRT = OMSP*VRT rate
    VAT= (List Price – (Discounts + VRT))

OMSP is used to calculate the VRT for any given vehicle so I don't think it could include VRT. I think I was wrong about VAT though, I think that is included.

Either way, the OMSP of the ID.4 can't be €54k because then it would cost more than that after VRT!

I dont understand the logic. OMSP is the sell price which by definition would include all taxes?

OMSP is used in the VRT calculator alright to calculate VRT but thats for importing cars so it uses OMSP as a reference point. Is that what you are referring to?

I'm not saying Im right or wrong but thats how I understood it.

Put another way.... if a €44k ID.4 had its €5k VRT relief and €5k grant removed by the government what would the price of the car be at the forecourt..... surely €54k?

Not sure how reliable this website is but they define it as
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/coming_to_live_in_ireland/importing_car_into_ireland.html
    "In the case of cars and small vans, the amount of VRT payable is based on a percentage of the recommended retail price, which includes all taxes. This price is known as the Open Market Selling Price (OMSP)."

Ah yes. True. So God knows how it's actually calculated.

So if €54k is OMSP including VRT @ 14% + VAT @ 21% how does one calculate the OMSP? Is the VAT calculated against the OMSP or the OMSP + VRT?
    Similar question for VRT, is that calculated against the OMSP or OMSP + VAT?

Potentially we're talking about an OMSP of €40k, meaning €8400 VAT, and then (calculating VRT off of the OMSP price) €2800 in VRT @ 7%. So pre grants that €51200. Minus the 5k grant and then being 40k OMSP the full VRT should be waived?? Sounds wrong. If that was the case it'd be €43800 now.

No I was definitely wrong about VAT — OMSP includes any taxes charged before the vehicle arrives in the state, so VAT.

• Advertisement

I dont understand the logic. OMSP is the sell price which by definition would include all taxes?

OMSP is used in the VRT calculator alright to calculate VRT but thats for importing cars so it uses OMSP as a reference point. Is that what you are referring to?

I'm not saying Im right or wrong but thats how I understood it.

Put another way.... if a €44k ID.4 had its €5k VRT relief and €5k grant removed by the government what would the price of the car be at the forecourt..... surely €54k?

The RRP of the ID.4 is €54k, yes.

However the OMSP does not equal the RRP.

The RRP is essentially 114% of the OMSP.

Edit. Incorrect calcs

I guess thats why they call it the "Original" Market Sell price before the government got their hands on it with VRT! :)

Everydays a school day.

That’s what I think. Which would give you 45650 OMSP.

VRT then will be guessing ~10.5% (tapering of the 7%) giving you 50444. Less SEAI ~ 45440

Even with my wrong calcs I wasnt too far out... about €1500 more expensive.... which doesnt make much sense for a government encouraging people to EV's but hey ho.

EDIT
    Just to run those numers again, is this right...

Assuming a €54k RRP today (any BEV).
    Thats €47368 OMSP
    Add on 7% VRT from Jan 2021 gives €50684
    Since its <€50k OMSP it will get some VRT relief... assuming its the sliding 1% for every €100 it would get 26% of €5000 in relief so €1300 VRT relief?

So, that would make it €50684-€1300(VRT relief)-€5k(Grant)=€44384

hmm... back to €44k, so no increase.... is that correct?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Clear as mud

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Yes kcross I think you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

I guess thats why they call it the "Original" Market Sell price before the government got their hands on it with VRT! :)

Pedants' corner alert!
    Isn't it Open Market Selling Price? At least that's what Revenue calls it.
    And the real kicker is that OMSP is a valuation that's somewhat arbitrarily decided by Revenue for each and every car, so there's no certainty that Revenue will adjust the OMSP to exactly match the change in VRT rates (although of course it would be the logical thing to do).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

sumo12 wrote: »
    The grant is gone but that will be counteracted by the VRT going down for Hybrids, based on emissions. Corolla Hybrid is going down in price

It's typical Toyota misleading advertising.

They are correct that the VRT rate is going down - despite the increase in CO2 emissions by 20 odd g/km in the conversion from NEDC to WLTP, the VRT rate is going down from its current 14% to 10%, so that coupled with the VAT reduction means that car is the €1,000 or whatever Toyota claims is cheaper.

However, as is usual with Toyota (like the completely inaccurate claim that hybrids can spend over 50% of the time in electric mode on average, it's either 50% on average, or over 50% of the time in certain scenarios, not both), there is a catch - and that is that the current prices don't include the grant they all get.

So they're claiming the cars are gonna be €1,000 cheaper, when in fact they're going to be €500 dearer from 1 January because there's no €1,500 VRT subsidy any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭sk8board

Everydays a school day.

Even with my wrong calcs I wasnt too far out... about €1500 more expensive.... which doesnt make much sense for a government encouraging people to EV's but hey ho.

EDIT
    Just to run those numers again, is this right...

Assuming a €54k RRP today (any BEV).
    Thats €47368 OMSP
    Add on 7% VRT from Jan 2021 gives €50684
    Since its <€50k OMSP it will get some VRT relief... assuming its the sliding 1% for every €100 it would get 26% of €5000 in relief so €1300 VRT relief?

So, that would make it €50684-€1300(VRT relief)-€5k(Grant)=€44384

hmm... back to €44k, so no increase.... is that correct?

..... and right into the price of the massively popular r-line Tiguan, which VW sold an absolute tonne of on 0% pcp.
    I wonder how they’ll play both against each other - they may make a price change to the id.4 in light of the budget, they have plenty time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,790 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

sk8board wrote: »
    ..... and right into the price of the massively popular r-line Tiguan, which VW sold an absolute tonne of on 0% pcp.
    I wonder how they’ll play both against each other - they may make a price change to the id.4 in light of the budget, they have plenty time.

My dad has one of those 0% R Line Tiguan that's due a change in February and since I ordered the ID3 he keeps talking about the ID4.

After the budget I think I'm right in saying the Tiguan (2L Diesel DSG) is going up about €2,000 so the ID4 is looking to be cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I wouldn’t be surprised if VW and a few other manufacturers reprice their cars pre taxes to keep the status quo to some extent.

Advertisement