Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event - October 13th 2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

My thoughts:

- It is not a "new" design, it is the iPhone 5 shape again
    - I like this look.
    - Only incremental improvements
    - 5G will not be available to many in ireland for a long time
    - Stronger glass is the best new feature
    - I think they are justified in not providing a charger or headphones
    - I would rather thicker with more battery life than thinner. What is the obsession with making a thin phone thinner?
    - I will not upgrade for at least 6 months. I may get a second hand one then.
    - I would go for the Homepod but I have already bought into the Google ecosystem

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I kinda get the that most people already have a charger but aren't all these new 12 models lightening to USB-C? If so, are there any previous models that shipped with a USB-C power brick?

If not, then it's pretty sneaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

adox wrote: »
    I kinda get the that most people already have a charger but aren't all these new 12 models lightening to USB-C? If so, are there any previous models that shipped with a USB-C power brick?

no unless you have bought a fairly newish ipad or a macbook

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

2011 wrote: »
    My thoughts:

- It is not a "new" design, it is the iPhone 5 shape again
    - I like this look.
    - Only incremental improvements
    - 5G will not be available to many in ireland for a long time
    - Stronger glass is the best new feature
    - I think they are justified in not providing a charger or headphones
    - I would rather thicker with more battery life than thinner. What is the obsession with making a thin phone thinner?
    - I will not upgrade for at least 6 months. I may get a second hand one then.
    - I would go for the Homepod but I have already bought into the Google ecosystem

There’s really only two designs you can have for the physical structure of a phone now, the curved soap bar edges or flat edges. Different lies in materials used and how you arrange the cameras and physical buttons.

Whilst is reminiscent of the iPhone 4 and 5 era it is somewhat new. The 4 and 5 had huge chonky glass for the front and back, this looks to be completely flush, that would have taken a good amount of R&D to get that right and to get it right in the numbers apple sell.

5g is enabled on Vodafone, Three and Eir. They all have 5g plans. That’s the three biggest operators that all have 5g. It’s available to practically every one in the country.

iPhones since the 7/8 line have gotten thicker the X, XS, 11 pro were all thicker than the previous. I for one welcome thin and light again, the 11 pro is a bit of the heavy side.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

shanec1928 wrote: »

The iPhone 11 Pro models came with a USB-C power adapter

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

adox wrote: »

It comes with the cable though doesn’t it?
    Just not the 3 pin brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭pad199207

Apple giving €390 for a 11 Pro Max 64GB on trade in against 12 pro max.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

pad199207 wrote: »
    Apple giving €390 for a 11 Pro Max 64GB on trade in against 12 pro max.

That’s a terrible price you would get more on a private sale

• Registered Users Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

€913 for the base iPhone 12. Extortionate. You’d probably better off giving the extra few bob for the pro.

You're making the 12 sound like a poor phone it's not.

Personally, I think it's beter than the PRO as it all has extra is an extra camera and some functionality and different colours.

Everything else is pretty much the same.

shanec1928 wrote: »

Do people only buy Apple products?

They may have USB C from other products in the house.

When I think about Apple, they are not first with this.
    I bought Sony BT headphones last year. Came with USB-C cable only.

Was no problem as I could use laptop and I had an Anker fast charger with 2 USB slots, one of them being a C.

I really don't think it's a big deal except that they have not reflectedit in the price as headphones not included as well.

Wireless charging is also an option which was a must have feature and the "future" a couple of years ago.

If people really need a plug they can pick one up cheap enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭pad199207

murpho999 wrote: »
    You're making the 12 sound like a poor phone it's not.

Personally, I think it's beter than the PRO as it all has extra is an extra camera and some functionality and different colours.

Everything else is pretty much the same.

No I’m not saying it’s a poor phone I suppose I’m just comparing to the starting price of the iPhone 11 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

whilst I think it's great that they're out of the box and there are environmental plusses to it I think they could have sold it better.

yep there's 700m lightning headphones out there (they only came out with the iPhone 7 range), and yup most people don't use them.

the charging brick is a bit of a sore one, since all of the 12 lineup will come with USB-C its kinda teasing people "Use your old brick and cable" but only at 5w lol. or buy this expensive brick from us. I really think they should have discounted the bricks further. Apple for far too long have been stingy with the supplied brick when the iPhone could charge at higher rates for ages.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if they had USB-C bricks for 1-2 more years than they did (especially on the lower end phones) it would sit better with me, but they sold a lot of iPhone 11's last year that didn't come with USB-C bricks and when those people come to upgrade they'll be hit with an unnecessary expense (where the "use your old brick and charger" argument might not hold up).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

When I think about Apple are not first with this.

Was no problem as I could use laptop and I had an Anker fast charger with 2 USB slots, one of them being a C.

I really don't think it's a big deal except that they have not reflectedit in the price as headphones not included as well.

Wireless charging is also an option which was a must have feature and the "future" a couple of years ago.

Exactly. You can also easily and cheaply get a USB A to USB C cable if you want to continue using the legacy plugs you might have.

No I’m not saying it’s a poor phone I suppose I’m just comparing to the starting price of the iPhone 11 last year.

Yes it has definitely gone up.

I think the 11 was great value last year.

Suppose this year's price is dearer due to A14 chip, 5G & Oled screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

When I think about Apple are not first with this.

not sure why its aimed at me i just answered the question that was asked.. but as some one who is pretty much all in on the apple eco system (xs max, ipad pro 10.5',MB2020, air pods pro, watch and apple tv). the only usb c plug that i have is my 2020 macbook pro. have a battery pack with usb-c but not going to use that when at home. overall it dosn't bother me to much, i have plenty of usb-a cables and wireless charging,but will have to invest though as more and more things move. It would have been nice for them to keep them for an extra year or so so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Exactly. You can also easily and cheaply get a USB A to USB C cable if you want to continue using the legacy plugs you might have.

But aren’t the new iPhones lightning to USB-C? So the above cables wouldn’t work?

Why would you do that? Just get a new plug.

Also, don't you mean lightening to USB A?

Can't people just use their old cables and chargers on the new phones anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭McFly85

Terrible decision by Apple to keep lightning, and introduce yet another proprietary cable. I assume if you already have an iPhone you can still use the old USB-A cable anyway so you don’t have to buy a C brick if you don’t want to, but still, it smacks of making charging awkward enough to push the MagSafe accessory.

It’s maddening particularly as the MacBooks and iPads are moving over to USB-C only.

People might call it a minor inconvenience, but it’s an inconvenience that Apple could have easily corrected but chose not to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Gumbo wrote: »
    It comes with the cable though doesn’t it?
    Just not the 3 pin brick.
    I think the point is unless you've owned another device that comes with a USB-C 3 pin plug, you're going to have to buy one. Even if you have one of those plugs, you'll have to share it with whatever else you charge with it.

Apple's move to leave out the plug would be acceptable if they had stuck with regular USB, as everyone has loads of those plugs, and they came with every other previous apple device.

So a good chunk of people are now going to have to pay Apple for a USB-C plug (and have it packaged and shipped) while Apple claim this is all done for the planet. Sneaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

McFly85 wrote: »
    Terrible decision by Apple to keep lightning, and introduce yet another proprietary cable. I assume if you already have an iPhone you can still use the old USB-A cable anyway so you don’t have to buy a C brick if you don’t want to, but still, it smacks of making charging awkward enough to push the MagSafe accessory.

It’s maddening particularly as the MacBooks and iPads are moving over to USB-C only.

People might call it a minor inconvenience, but it’s an inconvenience that Apple could have easily corrected but chose not to.

The way they've done it they will sell a load of extra USB c bricks for some fast charging. And they've increased the price of the phone along the way.

Win win. And they get defended for it :)

• Advertisement

Apple saying battery performance is the same so I'd trust them on that.

I think the debate on 12 or 11 needs to focus on

Cost

5G - That's a big feature. I know the networks aren't there yet but they will be. So how long will you be keeping the phone? Do you want to be ready.

OLED screen. That's a major improvement.

Camera - Improved

Chip- A14 chip will definitely bring performance improvement to the phone.

I am getting an 12 for sure I’m torn between the 12, 12 pro and 12 pro max there all the same except for camera? as the pro have night time camera mode.

I need to know the ram but nobody has said what it is yet I’ve heard it’s 4GB on all models but others have said it’s 6GB on the pro’s

If they do have different ram surely on the pro then the battery life will longer than a 12 as Apple said the battery life on the 12 & 12 pro are the same? but the max is 20 hours.

More than likely go for the 12 pro max.

Dades wrote: »
    I think the point is unless you've owned another device that comes with a USB-C 3 pin plug, you're going to have to buy one. Even if you have one of those plugs, you'll have to share it with whatever else you charge with it.

Apple's move to leave out the plug would be acceptable if they had stuck with regular USB, as everyone has loads of those plugs, and they came with every other previous apple device.

So a good chunk of people are now going to have to pay Apple for a USB-C plug (and have it packaged and shipped) while Apple claim this is all done for the planet. Sneaky.

Why though? Why would you buy it from Apple? Any third party plug will do.

I am getting an 12 for sure I’m torn between the 12, 12 pro and 12 pro there all the same except for camera?

I need to ram but nobody has said what it is yet I’ve heard it’s 4GB on all models but others have said it’s 6GB on the pro’s

If they do have different ram surely on the pro then the battery life will longer than a 12 as Apple said the battery life on the 12 & 12 pro are the same? but the max is 20 hours.

More than likely go for the 12 pro max.

Apple haven't announced the RAM but why are you so worried about it.

I would argues that an iPhone with less ram would run better than an Android with more ram due to optimisaton.

I'm not how you say the pro must have more battery if it has more RAM? Why?

Better battery life on the Max is simply due to the phone being bigger.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

There doesn’t seem to be any leather cases being offered at all for this years models!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Why though? Why would you but it from Apple? Any third party plug will do.

Plus people coming from an older iPhone can just use their old chargers anyway. You don’t need a USB-C power adapter to charge the new iPhone’s. But the cable you get in the box wouldn’t be any use to you unless you source a matching power adapter or computer with that port. That’s all.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There’s really only two designs you can have for the physical structure of a phone now, the curved soap bar edges or flat edges. Different lies in materials used and how you arrange the cameras and physical buttons.

Agreed, so let's call a spade a spade the flat edges are not "new". But like I said I think they look well.
    5g is enabled on Vodafone, Three and Eir. They all have 5g plans. That’s the three biggest operators that all have 5g. It’s available to practically every one in the country.

Yes tehy all have "plans". But coverage is very poor.
    Not even close to being available to "practically everyone".

Mr.S wrote: »
    The bigger issue is that they are still using lightning, it should be USB-C across the board.
    That's probably true.

I just think it's grating to open up a €1,000 device and not find what you need to charge the damn thing in the box.

And to hear Apple claim they're doing it for "the planet".

Dades wrote: »
    That's probably true.

I just think it's grating to open up a €1,000 device and not find what you need to charge the damn thing in the box.

And to hear Apple claim they're doing it for "the planet".

I think there definitely are environmental benefits to what they're doing but I agree with you as in that's not their sole motivator.

People are also not talking about the headphones either. So basically €60 of equipment gone out of the box but the phone prices have increased.

People are also not talking about the headphones either. So basically €60 of equipment gone out of the box but the phone prices have increased.
    Also true. I still use wired headphones sometimes as my AirPods can't keep up with the amount of calls I do. My ones are on their last legs and it irks me that I won't get a new set if I upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

I get a grand total of €0 for my X for trade in cause I cracked the back glass. Whoops.

Advertisement