Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event - October 13th 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Thelonious

Anyone know what date these phones ship to Ireland ?

So the iPhone 12 battery is less than iPhone 11 what! How is that possible?

Which iPhone 12 have the best battery life and what’s the ram on these things.

I don’t know to get an iPhone 12 or pro as all I want is battery life the longer the better that’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Thelonious wrote: »
    Anyone know what date these phones ship to Ireland ?

Thought the 12 & 12 Pro was pre order this Friday and shipping on 23rd.

Max & Mini is pre order on Nov 6 and shipping on the 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

murpho999 wrote: »
    See the Homepod Mini is €96.50 on German site.

Cheaper than expected.

Link

It's also in UK, Spain, France, China and Australia.

Isn't that more countries than the original Homepod? So maybe they're rolling them out in different countries?

It was in those countries already, some with years. Some countries were added in 2018 like Mexico, Spain & Italy.

Ireland may come down the line but not for this release as seen on the music section of the Irish store.

Edit: this is the full list of countries and when they were added:

9 February 2018
    (2 years ago)
    Australia
    United Kingdom
    United States
    18 June 2018
    (2 years ago)
    Canada
    France
    Germany
    26 October 2018
    (23 months ago)
    Mexico
    Spain
    18 January 2019
    (20 months ago)
    Mainland China
    Hong Kong
    23 August 2019
    (13 months ago)
    Japan
    Taiwan
    10 May 2020
    (5 months ago)
    India

I don’t know to get an iPhone 12 or pro as all I want is battery life the longer the better that’s it.

According to website both 12 & 11 have 17 hours video playnacl/. So I'm not sure why you think it's one hour less.
    Also I'd imagine 5g must use more battery so it's fine. Battery life is good on these I think.

Not sure about RAM but I don't get too worried about specs as I think iPhones are optimised and perform better than rivals with higher tech specs.

12 Pro max will have the better battery life. You can compare models here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Battery life comparisons will be interesting! Seems like a step backwards based on last gen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

RAM unknown and likely not going to affect purchasing decisions for most people as they will all be rapid and will handle multitasking easily.

iPhone 12 Pro Max has the biggest battery and longest battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    What’s the reason?

Apple TV doesn’t have Siri here (and in many other countries) because Apple found that it can’t understand the regional pronunciation of the names of many actors and directors:

https://www.redmondpie.com/this-is-why-siri-on-apple-tv-4-is-restricted-to-eight-countries-for-now/

I wonder is there a correlation between the countries that support Siri on Apple TV and those where HomePod is available?

Apple TV doesn’t have Siri here (and in many other countries) because Apple found that it can’t understand the regional pronunciation of the names of many actors and directors:

https://www.redmondpie.com/this-is-why-siri-on-apple-tv-4-is-restricted-to-eight-countries-for-now/

I wonder is there a correlation between the countries that support Siri on Apple TV and those where HomePod is available?

Really can't see that being true at all. That article is a poorly written opinion from 5 years ago and is not really factual.

Also, with a speaker you'd be doing pretty much the stiff it can do on the phone.

Irish accent works well on it so I just don't see the problem.

Really can't see that being true at all. That article is a poorly written opinion from 5 years ago and is not really factual.

Why do you think that both Apple TV Siri and HomePod are only available in a very limited number of countries?

Edit: here’s the original source for the above article: https://www.macprime.ch/a/news/warum-apple-tv-in-der-schweiz-noch-kein-siri-hat (in German, you’ll need to translate). No direct quotes from their alleged Apple source, so no more convincing than the other article, but I’ve yet to hear an alternative explanation that makes more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Can we order from the UK store and get deliveries to Ireland?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Can we order from the UK store and get deliveries to Ireland?

Parcel Motel

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Gumbo wrote: »
    Parcel Motel

Ah. Not sure I want to chance it.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Parcel Motel

Try DPD Parcel Wizard, deliver to any address for €3.85.:P

https://www.dpdparcelwizard.ie/HomePage#/

It's safe enough and you can get insurance. Also, try DPD Wizard like I mentioned in other post.

I’ve gotten 2 iPhones delivered through it. You can up the insurance temp so fully covered.

You can also set ParcelMotel to deliver to your house (or any other address) instead of the drop box (although it’s €7.95).

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Why do you think that both Apple TV Siri and HomePod are only available in a very limited number of countries?

Edit: here’s the original source for the above article: https://www.macprime.ch/a/news/warum-apple-tv-in-der-schweiz-noch-kein-siri-hat (in German, you’ll need to translate). No direct quotes from their alleged Apple source, so no more convincing than the other article, but I’ve yet to hear an alternative explanation that makes more sense.

I’d semi believe this given the garbled rubbish Siri transcribes into notes etc any time I use it
    But don’t care about that would just love a decent mini speaker that works seamlessly with my phone

You can also set ParcelMotel to deliver to your house (or any other address) instead of the drop box (although it’s €7.95).

€3.85 with DPD

I don't have an Apple TV nor ever will so I haven't really thought about it.

It's strange that Siri is enabled on Phones and iPads but not the TV.

Sure all countries not just Ireland would offer up problems due to regional accents.
    After all look at the UK. A person in Glasgow practically speaks another language when compared to a Londoner but it all works there.

• Advertisement

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    I’d semi believe this given the garbled rubbish Siri transcribes into notes etc any time I use it
    But don’t care about that would just love a decent mini speaker that works seamlessly with my phone

Well, I don’t have one myself, but anyone I’ve heard says that the HomePod works perfectly well here. I might get a HP Mini.

€3.85 with DPD

Could have done with this info earlier. Ordered fire stick in prime sale. They only deliver to uk so had to use PM.

Think I’ll register with DPD now.

€3.85 with DPD

How much would you save if you bought from the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

How much would you save if you bought from the UK?

You’ll save nothing as the HomePod range of devices aren’t available here.

I would only order them from the uk as they use the same plug type as us. And yes I’m well aware you can use adapters but they’re often unslightly and I’d rather pay the small bit extra to have 3pin plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭pad199207

€913 for the base iPhone 12. Extortionate. You’d probably better off giving the extra few bob for the pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

pad199207 wrote: »
    €913 for the base iPhone 12. Extortionate. You’d probably better off giving the extra few bob for the pro.

Coming from the X, the OLED screen was the only think making the Pro attractive, and now that’s gone.

Finding it difficult to see the worth in the Pro over the 12 tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

What’s the story with the leather cases, will they be Pro-only?

The 12 and the Pro are identical in specs, expect for maybe the camera square. Wonder should I just go for a silicone case with the 12 or wait for the 6th of November to see if they’re compatible or not.

Edit: Never mind, they’re fully compatible

Someone said the 12 and 12 pro are the same except for the 3rd camera on the pro? Would ram and battery is the exact same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I had been planning to get the Pro but I see the Pro Max is the same size as my 8 Plus, so I will get that I think

Will have to see how the numbers stack up comparing cost of an Eir upgrade to going sim only and getting it sim free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Looking to replace my 8 with a new unlocked se or x, will there be a price drop on them due to 12 release? Would it be worth waiting a few weeks.

Advertisement