Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apple Event - October 13th 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

murpho999 wrote: »
    You do realise that "due an upgrade" just means you're out of contract.

You don't get a subsidised phone from the networks anymore.

You could just stick to what you have and change to SIM only plan.

They may keep they 11 though and discount it. Let's see what they do.

You do realise “due an upgrade” also means personally? I upgraded my 6s to an 11 this year because I was due, etc, etc. Stop trying to twist the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

DubDJ wrote: »
    I honestly don't know if the differences between the standard 12 and the pro model are worth it this year. It's all small camera bumps and even then, the Max gets exclusivity on some of this stuff. Very confusing year to upgrade, 4 iPhones and no major differences across the board. Still unsure if the 12 actually still has an LCD or if OLED is used across the lineup like rumoured.

Yeah I was sharing the same thoughts yesterday. I can’t see myself needed the extra camera stuff for taking photos of my 4 walls over the next 12 months. My only hesitation on swapping my 11 Pro for a 12 is wasting money and I don’t really like the 6.1” display size.... decisions decisions...

It is OLED across the four devices 12 lineup

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

murpho999 wrote: »
    Night and Day? Really that's a massive difference and I don't think most people would find that and worry about it.

While it might not be night and day to most people, it is noticeable.

I've always been a screen person, Retina -> laminated -> OLED were all immediately different to me. Seeing the iPad was also that same noticeable difference for me. It's more so that all the competition had 120Hz as a big feature this year too, it all pointed to the iPhone being the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is the 12 and 12 pro form factors the exact same?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

naasrd wrote: »
    You do realise “due an upgrade” also means personally? I upgraded my 6s to an 11 this year because I was due, etc, etc. Stop trying to twist the post.

I don’t think the poster was trying to twist anything in fairness.

• Advertisement

Is LIDAR a Pro Max exclusive too?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well blame the networks then and get them to use a more appropriate phrase. It annoys me too as it suggest something that it isn’t but I can only use the terms they use. They still use that phrase and people still think they come out paying less for a phone when that’s not the case.

I’ve no doubt you weren’t trying to be rude but unfortunately written text can lend itself to misunderstandings. All I was wondering was what my options would be next year. If it’s iPhone12 or bust then fair enough I suppose.

Yes, I think the networks definitely use the "due an upgrade" line to hood customers into new contracts and the users think they're getting a discount off the phone.

Also bugs me how they'll continue to charge you the full amount at the end of the contract instead of reducing it even though the phone is paid off. Up to you to switch your plan.

I'm not sure what old phone they might keep this year. They could scrap the 11 and keep the X going. Probably revealed with pricing at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Why are they bragging about the borders, they are pretty much worst in class in the €1,000+ segment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Is the 12 and 12 pro form factors the exact same?

Both are 6.1” (excluding Max and Mini) so yep they should be very similar in the hand

• Advertisement

naasrd wrote: »

I wasn't trying to twist anything. I think most people would associate "due an upgrade" in relation to their network.

Anyhow, I was only trying to help but I seem to have upset some people. Sorry,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Prices as expected happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Thanks Tim

Is LIDAR a Pro Max exclusive too?

Nope. I think the telephoto lens is 5x optical zoom as opposed to 4x in the regular Pro though. Much better performance on the main camera too.

Well, still very undecided after that event. Think I'll have a look through the comparisons over the next few days before pre-orders go live and try make a decision. Looks like there will be another event next month for the new Macs and release of macOS 11 Big Sur.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well it’s just I’m due an upgrade at the start of next year and was wondering what phones I could get.

Ok so now you know 11 & X kept in line up.

11 reduced to $599 in US. So I'd guess €100 off here. That could be a good deal.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Lol what a mess of a pre-order / release dates

Well just the Mini & Max pushed out a few weeks.

I'd say Covid has caused that.

Well, still very undecided after that event. Think I'll have a look through the comparisons over the next few days before pre-orders go live and try make a decision. Looks like there will be another event next month for the new Macs and release of macOS 11 Big Sur.

Me too and I even upgraded from the X to the XS when the differences were even less. No wow factor in that at all for me unfortunately but I’m an idiot an will probably buy one of the new ones regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Interesting that they haven't discontinued the 11.

Wonder would it have anything to do with potentially limited capacity to make stock of the 12 with all that’s going on?

Were you hoping to go for one of the Pros?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

peteeeed wrote: »
    Camera looks like A big upgrade under the hood

On the basic 12?
    What are the camera specs vs say a Samsung S20 ? Or the one plus nord ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Due an upgrade so missus gets my XS and I’ve to decide between 12 pro and the max.
    While I love the size of the 6.1 giving extra stuff to the max is pissing me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Thelonious

So how much tha price

In the Euros plz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Any idea of pricing here? I was hoping they might sneak in 120hz on the Pro Max, sadly not. Might pick up a Pacific Blue though .. my XS Max is in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Is the homepod mini getting a release here which the homepod never did

12 Pro starts at €1,159.80

12 Pro Max starts at €1,258.20

12 mini starts at €815

12 starts at €913.85

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

And still the iPad Air can’t be ordered.

peteeeed wrote: »
    Is the homepod mini getting a release here which the homepod never did

Nope, looking like U.K. is our closest bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,797 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

adox wrote: »
    And still the iPad Air can’t be ordered.

Was that announced today as well? I missed the start of the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Currently on a 11 Pro Max and the size is just a little too big, can't imagine using something bigger.

12 Pro for me I think!

The 12 pro max is the same size, slightly larger screen though.

Advertisement