Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 3 National restrictions - Your Q & A's megathread

Options

Comments

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Amazing people can't differentiate between the law and guidelines.

The guidelines are there for the good of everyone and we are supposed to treat them as law and respect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The guidelines are there for the good of everyone and we are supposed to treat them as law and respect them.

Do you treat guidelines around food and drink as law?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,451 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sphinxicus

deniseedoo wrote: »
    I'm disappointed for them but yeah, my ultimate concern is for the health of my family and if I can avoid attending an event where there is a higher risk of getting the virus. , I'll do it.

The hotel related to your wedding is surely not the only one turning a blind eye to this. I know of one hotel where the wedding coordinator has already suggested that guests just need to provide a random local address to the county that the hotel is located in. The bride/groom have now set about letting the remaining guests know that they need to be prepared for this if asked.

I understand that the hotel probably needs the business and that the bride & groom want their happy day, but the restrictions aren't there for sh1ts n giggles. In the end this kind of selfish behaviour will only prolong and potentiall increase restrictions which in turn will further hurt the economy so its short-sighted.

There are a few family members that are now feeling pressured to go even though they are at high risk. I think it's bad form from the hotel but at the end of they day we are all adults and should take responsibility for our actions. Unfortunately, some forget that their actions can also have consequences on others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Live in wicklow, nct in Dublin in Friday. NCT has nothing on their site. Thinking I'll chance it. Need to get it done.

• Advertisement

No, if you were expected to treat them as law then they would be laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Dharmacolm

Different question. Kids classes outside of school. Dance, drama, scouts, art etc.... Allowed/not allowed under level 3? Cant get a clear answer anywhere. Galway county council told me to ask google. I **** you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dmakc wrote: »
    Some perspective on governments grá of the arbitrary county borders.

A hotel in Mitchelstown can host people from 2.5 hours away in Crookhaven, but those 5 mins away over the Limerick/ Tipp borders can forget about it. Countrywide is level 3. It's not like someone is coming from level 4 to 2.
    It can be worse than that. The northern end of Bray is part Wicklow, part Dublin. You could be breaching the guidelines merely by crossing the road to go shopping in one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

Dharmacolm wrote: »
    Different question. Kids classes outside of school. Dance, drama, scouts, art etc.... Allowed/not allowed under level 3? Cant get a clear answer anywhere. Galway county council told me to ask google. I **** you not.

Outdoors - Groups of up to 15

Indoors - Not allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sphinxicus

our kids do gymnastics and swimming lessons. Gymnsatics have paused for a few weeks while they make some changes in the building. Not heard anything regarding swimming lessons, although they were pretty cut down as far as numbers went already

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,055 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

why would you be asking your county council ??? they dont make any of these decisions.

you should be asking those who provide the service ie the dance teacher, the scout leader, the drama teacher etc

they will be getting advice from their oversight body (ie scouting ireland) if they have one. for example heres scounting irelands policy
    https://www.scouts.ie/Covid-19/Advice/Scouting-Through-Covid-Roadmap.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Our son has a Sporting activity (training with less than 15 kids outdoors) in a different County from where we live. Can we bring him during Level 3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Our son has a Sporting activity (training less than 15 kids outdoors) in a different County from where we live. Can we bring him during Level 3 ?

No

First off, why would Galway co co have the knowledge that you dont when its a national / central government directive? They recieved the same information you did.

Second, some indoor can continue but solo. A group setting cannot

AlfaZen wrote: »
    Outdoors - Groups of up to 15

Indoors - Not allowed

That would be my take but just got word drama classes going ahead.

I asked the regional govt body because my kids drama class is going ahead and I don't think it is in line with guidelines. Im highlighting the fact that the guidelines are unclear which is evident in the much appreciated responses.

My point is Galway co co and myself dont have the answer because its not clear in the guidelines. Im asking because my kids drama class is going ahead and I don't think it should be..... So who should I ask?

My point is Galway co co and myself dont have the answer because its not clear in the guidelines. Im asking because my kids drama class is going ahead and I don't think it should be..... So who should I ask?

The national policy deciders that actually came up with it? Its still unclear why you expected Galway to know when you didnt and then had a pop at them for giving you what sounded like a bit of a wise ass answer

At the end of the day, if you dont think it should be happening, dont bring your kids

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Our son has a Sporting activity (training with less than 15 kids outdoors) in a different County from where we live. Can we bring him during Level 3 ?
    AlfaZen wrote: »
    No

Yes you can. But you're being asked not to.

Yes, your right, it was silly of me to expect my local authority to know how to interpret the government guide lines when I can't. They can't be interpreted in this instance. I see you haven't made a stab at it.... And thats what it would be. I won't be bringing my kid. I don't need someone to make that decision for me but thanks anyway. The issue here is I and others have paid for these classes in advance. In my opinion, running the class is not in the spirit of the guidelines and the institute get to keep my money even though I believe classes should be suspended. Maybe thats a bit clearer. In order for me to make this arguement to the institute I would like a clear government guideline on the issue.

Do you have a phone number for the national policy advisers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭kksaints

Not if it's football.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

deniseedoo wrote: »
    Due to attend a wedding that will happen while restrictions are in place. My understanding is that a wedding is not an essential journey and says on gov.ie website that guests cannot attend weddings in another county to the one they are resident in.
    Most guests at this wedding would be attending from outside the county (only 25, I know).

Groom called last night and said the hotel have said not to worry about it, have guests from different counties, they won't be checking that.

Is this not a breach of restrictions? I know I'm free not to attend and I probably won't, but it is concerning that a hotel is willingly letting a group from at least 6 different counties gather for a whole day.
    Posting out of interest more than anything else, maybe I have it wrong.
    It's carry on like that from hotels that will screw us all.

It's worth noting that under the published level 3 restrictions there was no clause in the section on weddings prohibiting guests from travelling to another county for a wedding. That was only added on Monday. It's no wonder there's confusion.

Besides which, it's not up to hotels to police the actions of their guests. If the hotel serves over the limited amount of people, or breaks regulations applying to hotels, that's on them. You could quite legally have 25 guests at a wedding today somewhere, all of whom were from different counties, if they had all travelled before the so-called "level 3" restrictions kicked in.
    Or you could have somebody from Dublin already staying with friends down in Kerry who are going to a wedding there next week. It's not the hotel's responsibility to police the movements of all their guests in the days before arrival.

It's down to personal responsibility, people are responsible for their own actions. They're the ones breaking the restriction which says guests can't travel to another county for a wedding. There's nothing in the restrictions saying that hotels (or restaurants for that matter) can't serve individuals from another county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭I am me123

Just to ask, are people allowed to travel freely within their own county for essential purposes, or are the checkpoints located on county boarders only?

Yes, your right, it was silly of me to expect my local authority to know how to interpret the government guide lines when I can't.

Indeed, it was but now you know that in future, ask the actual decision makers about their decisions.
    I see you haven't made a stab at it

I did. I think its legal.
    The issue here is I and others have paid for these classes in advance. In my opinion, running the class is not in the spirit of the guidelines and the institute get to keep my money even though I believe classes should be suspended. Maybe thats a bit clearer.

Indeed, many people are in the same boat but the simple reality is that the classes can legally be held and if the premises chooses to do so within safety guidelines and with no more than 15 people, then your payment wont be refunded. Your opinion only effects your decision regarding your childs attendance.

im unsure how they can be against the 'spirit of the guidelines' but yet be within the meaning of Section 10 (2) of the latest Health Act.

Here ya go: Government Covid19 website

No ones saying its not legal so theres no point referring me to an Act. Neither is anybody talking about the legality of guidelines. The only thing in the guidelines that is relevant is 'No indoor events'. I haven't been on boards for years because I found that there were increasingly far too many impressive people like yourself that put me off asking questions. It made me feel like I was wasting my time. There's me thinking it was a fairly obvious question to ask. Wondering if there were any other parents out there who had similar classes that were suspending instead of staying open and pointing out the guidelines could be interpreted differently and may cause issues. Ah well. Your a very impressive article all together. Back to the real world for me so.

No ones saying its not legal so theres no point referring me to an Act. Neither is anybody talking about the legality of guidelines. I haven't been on boards for years because I found that there were increasingly far too many impressive people like yourself that put me off asking questions. It made me feel like I was wasting my time. There's me thinking it was a fairly obvious question to ask. Wondering if there were any other parents out there who had similar classes that were suspending instead of staying open and pointing out the guidelines could be interpreted differently and may cause issues. Ah well. Your a very impressive article all together. Back to the real world for me so.

What the actual ****?!?

You asked a question, its answered. I went further and pointed out exactly where in law it was allowed.

You badmouthed your co co. What you didnt expect was for people to defend them and point out how it was on you and not them.

If you werent asking if the class could be legally held, what the hell were you asking? Dont try and backtrack, its exactly what you were asking but you dont like the answer.

You then asked smartly for a contact and again, that was supplied. You again trying to be a smart arse with people YOU are asking for advise from, its no wonder the council told ya to **** off

• Registered Users Posts: 17,880 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thargor wrote: »
    Our landlord sends a cleaner around twice a month that we don't really want at the best of times nevermind during a pandemic, are level 3 restrictions enough to tell him to piss off?
    Does anyone have an answer to this? Is a stranger allowed come into the house like this?

Thargor wrote: »
    Does anyone have an answer to this? Is a stranger allowed come into the house like this?

Does the landlord live in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,880 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Does the landlord live in the house?
    Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Yes, your right, it was silly of me to expect my local authority to know how to interpret the government guide lines when I can't. They can't be interpreted in this instance. I see you haven't made a stab at it.... And thats what it would be. I won't be bringing my kid. I don't need someone to make that decision for me but thanks anyway. The issue here is I and others have paid for these classes in advance. In my opinion, running the class is not in the spirit of the guidelines and the institute get to keep my money even though I believe classes should be suspended. Maybe thats a bit clearer. In order for me to make this arguement to the institute I would like a clear government guideline on the issue.

I think it will be very much like the travel advice during SARS.

People were advised not to travel to high risk areas but as it was 'only advice' were not entitled to refunds or to claim on their travel insurance if they chose to follow the advice and not travel. If it had been a prohibition on travel they may have been able to get a refund or claim against their travel insurance.

I think you may have to rely on the good will of whatever institute is running the classes.

Advertisement