Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas during Covid times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Looking forward to January when all the Christmas and New Year's Eve crap is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Looking forward to January when all the Christmas and New Year's Eve crap is over.

Things are hard enough at the moment without even considering how January is going to feel. Awful, dark, cold, miserable month where I'm usually broke (and I'm presuming that's not uncommon), throw in some covid restrictions and you've hit the horrible jackpot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Things are hard enough at the moment without even considering how January is going to feel. Awful, dark, cold, miserable month where I'm usually broke (and I'm presuming that's not uncommon), throw in some covid restrictions and you've hit the horrible jackpot.[/QUOTE

Those dark January days do brighten up.I know there is a tendency to overspend and buy unnecessary stuff leading up to Christmas, I just think the amount of waste and madness is ridiculous.It will be interesting to see how it turns out this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I'm all for level 5 restrictions during Christmas week.

Won’t make any difference. Regardless of the level of restrictions, it’s all just advisory.

My whole family will gather together for dinner and presents and a few drinks like we do every year regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yeah and at that, it's 6 people from 3 households. So it's not going to happen. I saw some venues are taking bookings anyway, but I'm sort of "forgetting" to do it because I know most of the team don't want to do it this year anyway. I've suggested an alternative plan, but sure we will see how the next few weeks pan out.

Find a caterer who will deliver a meal to the 10 households at appropriate times, and book a Zoom call to eat it "together".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Ordered our Turkey and Ham today.
    Would normally do it in November.
    Butcher said that there were a lot of orders in already - much earlier than usual.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Things are hard enough at the moment without even considering how January is going to feel. Awful, dark, cold, miserable month where I'm usually broke (and I'm presuming that's not uncommon), throw in some covid restrictions and you've hit the horrible jackpot.

Would covid restrictions even make a difference if your broke anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

GT89 wrote: »
    Would covid restrictions even make a difference if your broke anyway

Yes, you can at least be broke and have friends around, eating the last of the Christmas chocolate once the New Years resolutions fall apart. You can visit family and try to mentally escape the gloomy weather by planning a break away that you can book on payday. These things normally make January better for me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I will try and come home from Spain even if I have to row across the Atlantic Ocean. I missed Christmas last year at home as I had a new job and I had to work through it. My mum was crying when I told her and on the days up to it when I spoke to her also as my brother ditched her to spend it with his family so she was alone with my father who is terrible company. I promised myself that I wouldn't miss Christmas this year as my brother is probably going to do the same again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I will try and come home from Spain even if I have to row across the Atlantic Ocean. I missed Christmas last year at home as I had a new job and I had to work through it. My mum was crying when I told her and on the days up to it when I spoke to her also as my brother ditched her to spend it with his family so she was alone with my father who is terrible company. I promised myself that I wouldn't miss Christmas this year as my brother is probably going to do the same again.

I’m not being smart here but what would stop you from flying home? I’m sure flights are on sale now - can you not book one and know you’re going? Sounds like it would be a big deal for your mum, she will be delighted to know you’re coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

My youngest is 10 so it’s coming towards the end of the real magic :(
    We had planned on going to Bunratty to see Santa this year and staying for the entire weekend.
    Hard to know what will happen regarding Santa visits like that .
    They have missed out on so much already (Halloween trick or treating will be cancelled too no doubt ) that it will be so hard telling them they can’t see Santa . It will lead to so many questions and the loss of innocence for many :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,331 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

km79 wrote: »
    We had planned on going to Bunratty to see Santa this year and staying for the entire weekend.
    They have missed out on so much already (Halloween trick or treating will be cancelled too no doubt ) that it will be so hard telling them they can’t see Santa . It will lead to so many questions and the loss of innocence for many :(

I do think if things don’t go to much out of control that there maybe some form of Santa visits this year but they’d be distanced and you’d have to make the most of it. Just try and be positive about the situation with them and make the most of Halloween as well at home with games, sweets, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

km79 wrote: »

Honestly plan to ENJOY it no matter what. Make a plan, then make a back up plan.

Like yourself we had hoped to do a proper Santa outing. My current back up plan:

Santa at home mid December day
    1. Write our letter to Santa with lots of extra stickers and glue etc etc Christmas wrapped in a shoe box so they can open it to find all the supplies
    2. New Christmas jumpers to wear for the day. Wrapped up and on their beds in the morning
    3. Gingerbread house making competition. Dough in advance and bake/decorate ourselves
    4. Santa sleep over. Christmas movie tucked in with popcorn, hot chocolate and treats

I’ll come up with more as I go if we can’t get to Santa! There’s also a cool app where you can have Santa send a video specifically to each child

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Honestly plan to ENJOY it no matter what. Make a plan, then make a back up plan.

Like yourself we had hoped to do a proper Santa outing. My current back up plan:

1. Write our letter to Santa with lots of extra stickers and glue etc etc Christmas wrapped in a shoe box so they can open it to find all the supplies
    2. New Christmas jumpers to wear for the day. Wrapped up and on their beds in the morning
    3. Gingerbread house making competition. Dough in advance and bake/decorate ourselves
    4. Santa sleep over. Christmas movie tucked in with popcorn, hot chocolate and treats

I’ll come up with more as I go if we can’t get to Santa! There’s also a cool app where you can have Santa send a video specifically to each child

This sounds amazing!! I might just borrow every one of your ideas!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Gran Canaria hopefully.

cant26 wrote: »
    This sounds amazing!! I might just borrow every one of your ideas!!

Check out the Christmas traditions thread in the Christmas forum for ideas. I got some fab ideas last year which we plan to keep!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,974 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It could be similar to what lockdown was in terms of TV viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I’m not being smart here but what would stop you from flying home? I’m sure flights are on sale now - can you not book one and know you’re going? Sounds like it would be a big deal for your mum, she will be delighted to know you’re coming.

It could be similar to back in March in Spain here where you could only travel if it was necessary and all the flights were cancelled. Hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Check out the Christmas traditions thread in the Christmas forum for ideas. I got some fab ideas last year which we plan to keep!

Will do! Didn’t even know there was a Christmas forum...excited!

cant26 wrote: »
    Will do! Didn’t even know there was a Christmas forum...excited!

It’s the best. Pop my head in intermittently then jump both feet in around this time every year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

There will probably be a spate of suicides around the Christmas, enough to dwarf the daily covid deaths which will likely be shooting up steadily by then too. Could be bleak!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

nj27 wrote: »
    There will probably be a spate of suicides around the Christmas, enough to dwarf the daily covid deaths which will likely be shooting up steadily by then too. Could be bleak!

Sadly I think you may be right, we've already lost 2 neighbours to suicide since this thing began, it's all well and good tut tutting at people for wanting to get back to normal but the doom merchants don't realise they're putting a heavy load on some who might already be struggling, I've felt it myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

bladespin wrote: »
    Sadly I think you may be right, we've already lost 2 neighbours to suicide since this thing began, it's all well and good tut tutting at people for wanting to get back to normal but the doom merchants don't realise they're putting a heavy load on some who might already be struggling, I've felt it myself.

Sure Leo said last night mental health is important, expect big funding in the budget on mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Our lot would love all of that. I think we may borrow some of those ideas, thanks :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Sure Leo said last night mental health is important, expect big funding in the budget on mental health.

Oh yes, that will help a lot lol. Even if they did amaze me and put an effort into combatting depression any results will come far too late for many.

I’ve just ordered my turkey, ham and dessert and picked to collect on 22nd December.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I’ve just ordered my turkey, ham and dessert and picked to collect on 22nd December.

What you getting for dessert Strawberry? Seen a nice slow cooker recipe today for a Xmas cake with baileys, think I’ll give it a bash.

I ordered the Yule log cake out of M&S. I don’t like fruit cake and I buy a Christmas pud every year and chuck out the one I bought the previous year.

I’ll make lemon possets and have shortbread with them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Yum! Hurry up out of the way Halloween:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Noticed with my kids since school is back there’s much less invites to birthday parties etc so that will be even more noticeable around Christmas

I presume the school Christmas play will be cancelled this year.

Planning on Christmas Eve and day church services as normal, and the annual carol service my wife and kids so enjoy.

Hopefully will be able to have my annual Stephens day horse and football p1ss up.

Other than that, plenty food, plenty drink, Christmas cheer and celebration!

V much Looking forward to it.

Advertisement