Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Vue's confused advertising:

Ad 1: "We're so glad you're back to the cinema. Movies in the cinema amazing. This is your cinema."

Ad 2: "Cinemas are important to the community. Visit Cinematogether.com. This is your cinema."

Ad 3: "This is not a cinema. It's big screen tv, sports, games and other stuff. Repeat: this is not a cinema."

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Wasn't Mindhunter cancelled?

For flip sake. That too?

Ah, this is sad in a number of ways. Talk shows are too squeaky clean for this now.

https://twitter.com/right_movies/status/1300025695389855746

I knew from reading about the making of the movie that Brando was like this but I never knew anyone said it at the time.

Reeve was clearly an insanely honest person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

For flip sake. That too?

I don't know if it was officially cancelled but I remember hearing something about the actors being released from their contracts meaning they can pursue other projects.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I don't know if it was officially cancelled but I remember hearing something about the actors being released from their contracts meaning they can pursue other projects.

I looked it up - "indefinite hold".

If Netflix would sop spending money on crap about cooking cupcakes they'd have money for good stuff like TheOA

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I looked it up - "indefinite hold".

If Netflix would sop spending money on crap about cooking cupcakes they'd have money for good stuff like TheOA

The OA was the worst thing I've ever watched on Netflix. Pure drivel.

Wasn't aware La Haine was getting a cinema run this week in the IFI for the 25th anniversary of it's release. Going have to see if I can get kinds minded as I really want to see this on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Wasn't aware La Haine was getting a cinema run this week in the IFI for the 25th anniversary of it's release. Going have to see if I can get kinds minded as I really want to see this on the big screen.

Sounds like a double bill would be good:

526140.png

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I see She's All That is getting a gender swap remake

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Googled that and there's so much wrong with that. So it's not only a gender swapped remake, but also will star a Tik Tok Influencer as an influencer.
    Maybe I'm just old but there's so much there I don't get.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Googled that and there's so much wrong with that. So it's not only a gender swapped remake, but also will star a Tik Tok Influencer as an influencer.
    Maybe I'm just old but there's so much there I don't get.

Gender swapping it doesn't remove the problematic nature of the whole thing being a bet. Maybe they've updated that too, but I can't see the point of this one at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Has anyone here seen both the Criterion and the Curzon Blu-ray releases of Portrait of a Lady on Fire? Looking for opinions on the possibility of any major differences in picture quality between the two as I couldn't find any information with a very quick Google search.

Gender swapping it doesn't remove the problematic nature of the whole thing being a bet. Maybe they've updated that too, but I can't see the point of this one at all
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/11/21433195/tiktok-influencer-addison-rae-miramax-gender-swapped-shes-all-that-remake

Reads like it'll still be a bet
    He’s All That will flip the script, with Easterling playing a popular influencer who tries to change a nerdy male student into the prom king.

As long as it's a straight white guy then I'm sure it'll be seen as acceptable.

I liked the original and Not Another Teen Movie
    "She's got glasses. And a ponytail"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Great documentary on William Fox, he of Fox Film Corporation. Fox Film Corporation would later merge, after Fox no longer controlled the company, with 20th Century Pictures to form 20th Century-Fox. The hyphen was later removed by Rupert Murdoch and then Fox's name also removed by the mouse house.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 windbound

Is it official that Tom Hardy will be the new James Bond actor? Or still just a rumour? If it's true it's good to see that they're sticking to the tough 007.:)

Empire Records is 25 years

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wish they had the movies on Irish Netflix.

I enjoyed the full thing, the writing was very on the nose at times and it was extremely corny but I laughed a few times and it felt like an actual continuation. I would watch a proper sequel with that cast and there is another daughter to marry off.

Joaquin Phoenix is a daddy to a boy River, what a year for him an Oscar and now a baby

• Advertisement

The Top 10 Highest Paid Actresses in 2020 are

1. Sofia Vergara - $43 Million
    2. Angelina Jolie - $35.5 Million
    3. Gal Gadot - $31.5 Million
    4. Melissa McCarthy - $25 Million
    5. Meryl Streep - $24 Million
    6. Emily Blunt - $22.5 Million
    7. Nicole Kidman - $22 Million
    8. Ellen Pompeo - $19 Million
    9. Elisabeth Moss - $16 Million
    10. Viola Davis - $15.5 Million

(Forbes)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fair play to Vergara's agent cos I'd never peg her as anywhere near worth that money.

Had to look up what Anglina has been in this year and she's only done a voice in The One and Only Ivan

Would those numbers take in money they would have made from producing & directing etc not just acting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For comparison, the top male earner is Dwayne Johnson on $87 million, followed by Ryan Reynolds on $71 million. Jackie Chan rounds out the top 10 at $40 million. Quite the disparity between the male and female top 10.

Would those numbers take in money they would have made from producing & directing etc not just acting.

The Forbes list seems to include all their income. So Vergara's includes 500k per ep for Modern Family. An apparent $10 million for being a judge on one of the talent shows, and a pile of lucrative endorsements. Also any streaming revenues that would be included in their contracts.

It's also from June 2019 to June 2020, so TV stars are more prominent than solely film stars, due to pretty much nothing being releases this year.

Which of the big blockbusters pushed till next year will be the first to say fcuk it let’s go VOD and charge €£$30 for a rental.

I’m going with Black Widow with Disney using it to push more subs for Disney+.

Which of the big blockbusters pushed till next year will be the first to say fcuk it let’s go VOD and charge €£$30 for a rental.

Wonder Woman '84: as I type it's still set for a December release so AFAIK it's the last big holdout of the 2020 blockbuster write-off, right? So with the HBO streaming platform gaining a bit of traction I've wondered if they might go the online route and hedging their bets until they pull that trigger.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wonder Woman '84: as I type it's still set for a December release so AFAIK it's the last big holdout of the 2020 blockbuster write-off, right? So with the HBO streaming platform gaining a bit of traction I've wondered if they might go the online route and hedging their bets until they pull that trigger.

It probably will be one of the major superhero films alright used to push subs towards there streaming sites.

The only thing with HBO Max is it’s limited to North America for now till it starts its worldwide roll out next year.

• Advertisement

I’m going with Black Widow with Disney using it to push more subs for Disney+.

I was listening to podcast and they were saying that it's unlikely BW will go VOD because SJ is on a contract where she gets a share of the profits and she will want a cinema release. I don't know how much say that gives her though tbh.

Advertisement