Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Couple of VHF related questions

• 04-10-2020 8:34pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Did try searching, apologies if answered before, couple of quick questions

installed a new fixed VHF into a Lough Derg based boat at the weekend, all seems to be working, but didn't have a lot of time after getting it done. Is there an easy way to test it? i can leave it run on channel 16 and wait to see if i pick up anything unless there is an easier method?

i did my vhf licence over 10 years ago with a dive club, but for MMSI i believe i need to do it again? given the gap, might not bad idea anyway, but given the restrictions it might be diffcult. is there an upgrade you can do to get an MMSI?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Hope you don't mind but jumping in here too just to see the replies

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

as long as its not because they are idiotic questions and you need a good laugh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

mossym wrote: »
    as long as its not because they are idiotic questions and you need a good laugh :)

:D Not at all
    I recently bought a new boat, also on derg, and it has a VHF installed. My first time having one on a boat!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Just a FYI radio is pretty useless if boat sinks get emergency transponder that sends signal if it hits water
    You might have a minute to use radio
    Also get life vests that have it more straps the one strap will pull off in waves as usual tell some one when you will return. Put your phone in a water proof bag. Been there done that had none of above and lost a couple people. Also know how to swim and don't drink

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

There are weather reports each day you can listen in on, times are listed here https://www.iwai.ie/vhf-radio/ Lough Derg is on channel 61 and they announce it on CH 16 first, you can also do a radio check with the RNLI details here in "test transmissions" https://rnli-sarroc.org.uk/radio_procedure_3.html another option would be to ask a local boat owner to go to a channel you both have and test it out.

• Advertisement

cheers fergal, testing with another boat owner did occur to me, but the marina only has a few boats in at the moment and with the wind yesterday wasn't many around. will give the weather forecast a go this evening

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

For the MMSI part, has the boat a SRL (Ships Radio Licence)?

If/When applying for a SRL, you stipulate if the VHF radio on board is DSC capable, and if it is, they will also assign a MMSI (along with the standard call sign).

As for a radio check, you can call any local Coast Guard station for a radio check and they will happily oblige, the key is to keep it short and sweet..

Lough Derg Coast Guard Radio, Lough Derg Coast Guard Radio, This is Molly, Molly, Molly, requesting a radio check, Over.
    Molly, This is Lough Derg Coast Guard Radio, reading you loud & clear, over.
    Lough Derg Coast Guard Radio, This is Molly, all copied, thanks for your assistance. Out.

thanks Andy, i think that's the next step alright, getting the SRL, will look into that

VHF tested tonight, listening in to valentia and LD coast guard, and tested tx with a friends handheld, all working fine.

fergal.b wrote: »
    There are weather reports each day you can listen in on, times are listed here https://www.iwai.ie/vhf-radio/ Lough Derg is on channel 61 and they announce it on CH 16 first

Strangely enough, when I was on the Shannon 2 months ago, we spent the guts of 2 full days on Lough Derg, and I was listening on 16 and didn't hear a single Weather Forecast announcement. In fact, from Carrick all the way down to Mountshannon and back up to Carrick over 6 days I didn't hear a single weather forecast announcement on Ch16.

Granted I only had a handheld, but in Lough Ree, I heard communication between Lough Ree RNLI and the Coast Guard....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

A handheld will probably only have a range of 3-5 miles so you wont pick up much on the big lakes, on my fixed VHF I can pick up Lough Derg weather reports even from Lough Ree. Another tip for boaters is to keep the aerial straight not tilted back because it looks cooler :cool: as you will loose half the power pointing it towards the water.

08795528c8e15f47c6cee03aaede0cf4.jpg

• Advertisement

I get that for transmitting, but here in Dublin (Rush) I can pick up Belfast, Carlingford, Holyhead & Wicklow Head Coast Guard Radio broadcast stations on the handheld (granted I'm above sea level as well as upstairs in the house (in the Attic for Belfast), but it's a fairly good receiving VHF).

I get that for transmitting, but here in Dublin (Rush) I can pick up Belfast, Carlingford, Holyhead & Wicklow Head Coast Guard Radio broadcast stations on the handheld (granted I'm above sea level as well as upstairs in the house (in the Attic for Belfast), but it's a fairly good receiving VHF).

The costal transmitters are probably a lot stronger to cover all of the Irish Sea and in Rush you will have very few obstructions between the different stations.

funny you mention it Andy, i managed to pick up the killaloe coast guard unit on 16, Valentia station on 61,(both listen only) and my friend on 8,(2 way conversation) but did not pick up the inland lake weather forecast at 18.20, or the weather broadcast at 19.02. my friends small handheld was sitting there on the table and i'm sure it was on and we didn't hear the weather on it either

mossym wrote: »
    my friends small handheld was sitting there on the table and i'm sure it was on and we didn't hear the weather on it either

Was it vertical or horizontal on the table ? VHF's unlike mobiles will only work properly in the vertical position like the aerial in the pic above.

good point fegal, lying down. now curiouser i didn't get the weather forecast on the fixed unit given i picked up the other transmissions. will have another go over the next few days.

Advertisement