Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2019-20 Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

eagle eye wrote: »
    They can do what they like and it doesn't matter, the Warriors will be back dominating next year.
    Curry, Thompson, Green, maybe Wiggins if he's not part of a trade, the two young guys Poole and Paschall and then whatever they pull from the second round pick in the draft. I fancy they'll trade out of that draft position.

Wiggins? He barely plays to replacement player standard to date. He has a terrible BBall IQ. His market value is shot in light of his contract. Best case scenario is they somehow turn him into a poor mans Harrison Barnes, he adds nothing. Worst case scenario he impinges on their ability to fill out their roster.
    Apologies I just had to add Wiggins is owed almost $30m next year, I’d love to know what a team might give for him. His $33m in his final year might become decent value during the 2050/51 season.

Curry, Thompson & Greene have been a great combination in the past but 18/19 showed a significant drop in Curry’s production not to mention a full season out injured.

Klay is coming off the back of a full year off and his 2 least productive years prior to that too since GSW tooK off.

Draymond had the opportunity to lead the team last year with nobody around and what happened? Not only did he have his worst year since his rookie year offensively but he also had his worst year defensively since his sophomore year.

I’m not saying they can’t be great again but there are so many questions to be answered, the idea that you think the Lakers can’t do anything about them next year is pretty ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Warriors back in the mix and the Nets adding to the stew in the East will make next year very interesting. Landscape looks reasonably open as of now.

But make no mistake: barring injury the King and AD will be up there competing come playoff time.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Lakers will be very good next year too, no doubt about that - assuming AD signs of course - not that he's not expected to or anything, but just stating that.

One thing no-one is talking about though is the whole CBA......what happens there? Silver effectively gave notice of trouble coming on this when he said there would have to a tough renegotiating (or words to that effect). With it not looking likely there will be fans in arenas for some time the revenue is going to crater, and that's going to cause a lot of people a lot pf problems. We could be looking at a very truncated season next year.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The Warriors back in the mix and the Nets adding to the stew in the East will make next year very interesting. Landscape looks reasonably open as of now.

But make no mistake: barring injury the King and AD will be up there competing come playoff time.

I'm going to put on my Bill Simmons genie hat with two predictions for next season:

1. KD comes back as the 2nd best player on the Nets ie We never see the old KD again; sad I know.

2. GSW come back as a good team but not a team that can secure home court in the West

Breaking down the Miami Heat offense, they reminded me of the Spurs a number of years ago but clearly a mix.

I found the points regarding how Spoe hides Robinson's and to a lesser extent Herro's dribbling shortcomings to free them up from deep really interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Whatever happened to the Golden State Warriors folks? I remember a few years EVERYONE was convinced they would dominate for ten years...

I’m not a follower of basketball as evidence by question but curious about above...Thanks...

Whatever happened to the Golden State Warriors folks? I remember a few years EVERYONE was convinced they would dominate for ten years...

I’m not a follower of basketball as evidence by question but curious about above...Thanks...

Serious injuries to Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, and Kevin Durant. Then Durant left. And regression from Draymond.

They’ll be back next year, but while they’ll be very good they’re not likely to be championship contenders bar a major trade.

Not sure Draymond regressed so much as he just isn't a no.1 type who can carry a roster. Good chance he returns to effectiveness when the roster is as designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Serious injuries to Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, and Kevin Durant. Then Durant left. And regression from Draymond.

They’ll be back next year, but while they’ll be very good they’re not likely to be championship contenders bar a major trade.

You don't think they'll contend with Steph, Klay, Draymond, Wiggins and a Number 2 pick? I think they'll be right in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/1312234534390333440

LeBron doing LeBron things.

Also:
    Assuming Lebron and the Lakers beat the Miami Heat, it would be the 3rd time out of 4 title runs he would have beaten at least 5 players who have made the All-NBA team that season. (2011-12,2015-16,2019-20)

For reference, only 1 out of Jordan's 6 title runs did he have to face 5 All-NBA players on his path to the championship. (1990-91)
    (source)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

He will have had at least two hall of famers on each of those teams he won with as well

Bosh, Wade,Allen in Miami

Kyrie and possibly Love in Cleveland

Probably Anthony Davis and Dwight Howard with the Lakers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Ah here. Putting this version of Dwight Howard in that conversation is a bit disingenuous. He's proving himself a useful role player to this Lakers team but that's all he is these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,779 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Not sure Draymond regressed so much as he just isn't a no.1 type who can carry a roster. Good chance he returns to effectiveness when the roster is as designed.
    We don't often agree it seems but I think you hit the nail on the head here.
    He's a great team player and the better thebm players around him the better he'll look.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

jk23 wrote: »
    He will have had at least two hall of famers on each of those teams he won with as well

Bosh, Wade,Allen in Miami

Kyrie and possibly Love in Cleveland

Probably Anthony Davis and Dwight Howard with the Lakers

MJ had Scottie Pippen (6x) & Dennis Rodman (3x).
    Steve Kerr (3x) should be a lock.
    Toni Kukoc (3x) is being snubbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,779 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You do realise they have the no.2 pick in the draft? Can you imagine what can be done with that? Pick a good one or trade out and strengthen.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    MJ had Scottie Pippen (6x) & Dennis Rodman (3x).
    Steve Kerr (3x) should be a lock.
    Toni Kukoc (3x) is being snubbed.

Kerr will be in a a coach not as a player, he was s good role player not a hall of famer

Kukoc should be in alright

Ah here. Putting this version of Dwight Howard in that conversation is a bit disingenuous. He's proving himself a useful role player to this Lakers team but that's all he is these days.

I think he is an important player to the Lakers maybe not as important as Allen to the Heat when LeBron was there but I take your point

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Agree on the offensive end but little reason to be so ineffective on the defensive end.

That is the primary reason as to why I would question his ability to bounce back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Iam a season ticket holder and this season was always going to be a wright off, then the injuries...it was shocking to watch how much they went back but expected

Will they get back to their previous level, I highly doubt it but I do think they will get back to a very high level, draymond basically took the year off, they will have 3 franchise players back next season, to what level? Who knows but I know how professional and determined they are so they will definitely be up there in the playoffs

You do realise they have the no.2 pick in the draft? Can you imagine what can be done with that? Pick a good one or trade out and strengthen.

Team are no longer overvaluing high draft picks giving away high value assets. This has been covered ad nauseam by analysts in recent years: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/2/5/18211132/trade-future-first-round-pick-value-kristaps-porzingis-new-york-knicks

Wiggins has been terrible, I'll go out on the limb and say he is the worst value contract in the NBA which has not been subject to a buyout/waived.
    You will have to give up assets to rid that contract unless you can make him productive.

GSW look great on paper and in theory from afar but if looked at with any detail, there are an abundance of questions that need to be answered before believing they'll get anywhere close to their previous lofty heights.

• Advertisement

Iam a season ticket holder and this season was always going to be a wright off, then the injuries...it was shocking to watch how much they went back but expected

Will they get back to their previous level, I highly doubt it but I do think they will get back to a very high level, draymond basically took the year off, they will have 3 franchise players back next season, to what level? Who knows but I know how professional and determined they are so they will definitely be up there in the playoffs

Honest and realistic assessment right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

It'll be interesting to see what they do with their draft pick. They're rather fortuitous to have got the 2nd pick.

Team are no longer overvaluing high draft picks giving away high value assets. This has been covered ad nauseam by analysts in recent years: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/2/5/18211132/trade-future-first-round-pick-value-kristaps-porzingis-new-york-knicks

Wiggins has been terrible, I'll go out on the limb and say he is the worst value contract in the NBA which has not been subject to a buyout/waived.
    You will have to give up assets to rid that contract unless you can make him productive.

GSW look great on paper and in theory from afar but if looked at with any detail, there are an abundance of questions that need to be answered before believing they'll get anywhere close to their previous lofty heights.

I totally agree on that, maybe it’s wishful thinking but I still have hope for Wiggins, he has been decent for us but obviously no where near the valuation of his contract but might not be a bad fit once everyone is healthy, reminds me a bit of Harrison Barnes

I totally agree on that, maybe it’s wishful thinking but I still have hope for Wiggins, he has been decent for us but obviously no where near the valuation of his contract but might not be a bad fit once everyone is healthy, reminds me a bit of Harrison Barnes

I was beyond high on him during that draft as in he was a lock for me over Jabari. I know towards the end he was to most but way out I thought no real choice to be made here. My thoughts was he had one of the highest floors I had seen.

Then when the trade came up with LaVine & Bulls, I thought the Bulls were so lucky that the Twolves turned down the demand for Wiggins. I am a semi Twolves fan, just always liked Sprewell, Wally etc and I was hoping they'd trade him as in terms of pure value it was a no brainer. Wiggins & Dunn vs LaVine, Dunn & pick swaps :eek:
    LaVine was a better passer and 3pt shooter with same athleticism. No brainer for me.

I still hold out hope for him because that floor is so high but his contract is an issue. Imagine the salary cap drops to 100m and he's owed upwards of 33% of a team's cap :confused:

Yeah I mentioned Harrison Barnes above too, mirror in many ways to me too.

I was beyond high on him during that draft as in he was a lock for me over Jabari. I know towards the end he was to most but way out I thought no real choice to be made here. My thoughts was he had one of the highest floors I had seen.

Then when the trade came up with LaVine & Bulls, I thought the Bulls were so lucky that the Twolves turned down the demand for Wiggins. I am a semi Twolves fan, just always liked Sprewell, Wally etc and I was hoping they'd trade him as in terms of pure value it was a no brainer. Wiggins & Dunn vs LaVine, Dunn & pick swaps :eek:
    LaVine was a better passer and 3pt shooter with same athleticism. No brainer for me.

I still hold out hope for him because that floor is so high but his contract is an issue. Imagine the salary cap drops to 100m and he's owed upwards of 33% of a team's cap :confused:

Yeah I mentioned Harrison Barnes above too, mirror in many ways to me too.

100%
    As you say, imagine he’s owed upwards of 33% if teams cap space, crazy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Can't see things being much different tonight....

https://twitter.com/MiamiHEAT/status/1312867590205853696?s=20

Well, we have a series again it looks like.

No show from Davis, -21 with him on the floor thus far. If the Lakers win in the end this game should tilt the MVP conversation between him and LeBron.

Phenomenal performance from Butler. Refused to lose.

Yes. I am fully aware of that. But it’s projected to be a weak draft.

I’m not saying they’ll be crap ffs, I’m just saying I don’t see them making the conf finals in the west. The west is loaded, and will be again next year.

• Advertisement

Great game by Miami, but sadly for them I don’t think it will matter ultimately.

Advertisement