Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2019-20 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Not sure Draymond regressed so much as he just isn't a no.1 type who can carry a roster. Good chance he returns to effectiveness when the roster is as designed.

I’m not saying he’s crap or will be crap next year, just that he’s already imo peaked and his best years are behind him. He’s still very good when fully dialed in, but his performances last year are worrying to me from a motivational point of view. He seems comfortable now, without the massive chip on his shoulders. Now maybe he can dial it up to 10 again next year when playing with Klay and Steph, but I’m not so sure.

Again, I’m not saying he’s suddenly a bad player. But even a 1-5% drop is regression. I doubt he’ll be an All Star (coaches choice) or All NBA player again for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

Well, we have a series again it looks like.

No show from Davis, -21 with him on the floor thus far. If the Lakers win in the end this game should tilt the MVP conversation between him and LeBron.

LBJ will win MVP quite comfortably imo.

The effective Litmus test is if either player was removed from the team then which single player led team would have the highest probability of still winning.

That for me is LBJ, he makes the whole team better. There are small enough differences between their numbers that some intangibles and hypotheticals will be considered.

Also a little Ryan Giggs PFA where the voters simply will side with LBJ for services rendered to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,143 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

LBJ will win MVP quite comfortably imo.

The effective Litmus test is if either player was removed from the team then which single player led team would have the highest probability of still winning.

That for me is LBJ, he makes the whole team better. There are small enough differences between their numbers that some intangibles and hypotheticals will be considered.

Also a little Ryan Giggs PFA where the voters simply will side with LBJ for services rendered to date.

You’re probably right.

LeBron wasn’t at his best last night either, though he was the most productive Laker by a distance. Too many turnovers and he probably needed to change tack in the second half when AD was so continuously peripheral.

Vogel has been out-coached two games on the bounce now. They still have an advantage here but they need a far better performance top to bottom in game 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,558 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah up there as one of the great individual finals performances. The guy has been on a different level in the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Advertisement

I was thinking earlier, imagine if Jimmy had been drafted by The Heat.

Is there a player in the NBA better suited to their franchise than Jimmy? Riley, Spoe & that culture in general is made for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

I was thinking earlier, imagine if Jimmy had been drafted by The Heat.

Is there a player in the NBA better suited to their franchise than Jimmy? Riley, Spoe & that culture in general is made for him.

What a player Butler is, pity he doesn't have some more help especially with Adebayo and Dragic out. Even with them I think they are not as good as this Lakers team

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

As good as he is, it'll be like Iverson in the finals. Drags his team to one win, but won't be able to win the series.

Lakers to go up 3-1 with a dominant display tonight from AD and LeBron, Bam is back but need more than him tonight...

jk23 wrote:
    Lakers to go up 3-1 with a dominant display tonight from AD and LeBron, Bam is back but need more than him tonight...
    If Butler plays anything close to like he did the last night they don't.
    And he's done it many times in the playoffs this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

eagle eye wrote: »
    If Butler plays anything close to like he did the last night they don't.
    And he's done it many times in the playoffs this year.

But what are the chances that LeBron and AD only combine for 40 points again? AD spent too much time floating around the perimeter during the last game, taking 9 shots and only getting 2 free throws. LeBron also had 8 turnovers with AD having 5. Lakers played that bad and only lost by 11 to a Miami team who played damn near close to their best.
    I do admit that if Bam is fit he will be a big boost for Miami but I struggle to see them winning another game.

killwill wrote:
    But what are the chances that LeBron and AD only combine for 40 points again? AD spent too much time floating around the perimeter during the last game, taking 9 shots and only getting 2 free throws. LeBron also had 8 turnovers with AD having 5. Lakers played that bad and only lost by 11 to a Miami team who played damn near close to their best. I do admit that if Bam is fit he will be a big boost for Miami but I struggle to see them winning another game.
    Well AD is a bit of a problem. He often takes time off in games. If you keep an eye out you'll notice he doesn't run back on quick counters quite a lot.
    His scoring is what makes him but imo he should never get any MVP award due to his laziness. LBJ deserves it ahead of him all day everyday imo.

I realise the Heat are up against it but if they can hang in there and stay out of foul trouble then they are capable of playing that aggressive fourth quarter which has seen them come back quite a few times during these playoffs

2.50 left in the first, Jimmy Butler 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 7 points. Lakers lead 22-18.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Even though they lost, gotta hand it to Miami. That defence is brilliant. For the most part they are stopping LeBron attacking the basket with those double teams. It quite enjoyable watching that hustle on D.

Miami have been great. LeBron got a couple of sequences of scores tonight when they got close in the 3rd and 4th that made you feel he’d have done whatever was needed to get over the line.

But take nothing from Miami - great collective hustle. I think there’s a decent chance they sneak game 5. Any sloppiness from the Lakers is being punished,

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well AD is a bit of a problem. He often takes time off in games. If you keep an eye out you'll notice he doesn't run back on quick counters quite a lot.
    His scoring is what makes him but imo he should never get any MVP award due to his laziness. LBJ deserves it ahead of him all day everyday imo.

Almost every player who's expected to be the one of the primary offensive options on the court take defensive plays off, that is something coaches encourage. All players have finite energy, it's simply an opportunity cost.

AD takes time off when Howard is anchoring defense. LBJ does it too, as does Butler. It's ubiquitous in the modern game.

Black Jersies tonight. Intention there to finish it from the Lakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

Black Jersies tonight. Intention there to finish it from the Lakers.

tomorrow night, extra day off today.

chips1234 wrote: »
    tomorrow night, extra day off today.

Put them on a day early #MambaMentality :cool:

Extra day might help Miami but also could do the same for LA

I think the Lakers pull away late and win the Finals tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Likely result is a lakers win tonight

Jimmy putting on another fantastic performance. An effective H2H between him and LBJ right now, close call.

Butler is one rebound away from another triple double. Another incredible performance.
    Heat bring a six point lead to the fourth quarter.

LBJ is having one of his best ever finals games but he's only the second best player out there.

Butler playing great and LBJ with a couple of TO's in the 4th but 80% from the field and 75% from deep would beg to differ. A little bit of an offensive clinic from LBJ here

LeBron & Jimmy are so damn tired!

What a boneheaded throw by Morris!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Great game. Miami deserved the win to be fair. Don't think Davis should have been out there for the last 4 or 5.

• Advertisement

Game 6 on Sunday night/Monday morning 12.30am.

Butler played 47 minutes, insane.

Advertisement