Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland increased cashback

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭JTMan

The bonus for switching both gas and electricity is now €350. Wow.
    Their rates are still high, however with cashback they work out cheaper than rest

Depends. If you are a very heavy user then the unit price is far more important than the cashback. If you are a light user then, in most cases, it is worth getting this cashback once every 2 years. Switch away from EI after the 12 month contract expires and then back 12 months later.

Bonkers.ie can factor in the cashback in the savings calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭you2008

JTMan wrote: »
    The bonus for switching both gas and electricity is now €350. Wow.

Depends. If you are a very heavy user then the unit price is far more important than the cashback. If you are a light user then, in most cases, it is worth getting this cashback once every 2 years. Switch away from EI after the 12 month contract expires and then back 12 months later.

Bonkers.ie can factor in the cashback in the savings calculations.

danm, did last month for €260:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I am on EI, who is the best person for me to switch to?

errlloyd wrote: »

Depends on your usage. Use Bonkers.ie to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,343 ✭✭✭✭ted1

errlloyd wrote: »

Get your partner to switch to EI ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ted1 wrote: »
    Get your partner to switch to EI ;)

it would be the same meter no. regardless of who's name is on the bill.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Was with EI, contract was up but they woukd only give cash back to switchers....

Checked on bonkers and got a better unit rate plus €250 cashback with flogas so went with them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

loyatemu wrote: »
    it would be the same meter no. regardless of who's name is on the bill.

Maurice has moved out, Aoife has moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I worked out that I would be better off with Energia, even with Airtricity cash offer.
    Crazy hight unit rate. Especially if you make use of a night meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

I switched to Energia on onebigswitch yesterday.

12.97 cent per kWh
    €230.52 standing charge

FREE Netatmo Smart thermometer

• Advertisement

12.97 cent per kWh
    €230.52 standing charge

For those that don't need the thermometer, the unit cost is slightly cheaper on the Energia website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,765 ✭✭✭DopeTech

JTMan wrote: »
    For those that don't need the thermometer, the unit cost is slightly cheaper on the Energia website.

Yes and use Promo code ELECTJUNE to save an extra bit on electricity.

12.97 cent per kWh
    €230.52 standing charge

They’ll all give you a free smart thermometer as they collect a grant that costs more than the thermometer;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Nollog

Green Electricity (Direct Debit & Online Billing) 5.5% - 18.91 cent per kWh
    I wonder with carbon tax coming in, if the 0.10 cent per kWh be worth it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Has anyone ever swapped names on their house account to get discounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭ruddy1987

Airtricity have €270 credit plus 10% of unit rate.

https://www.sseairtricity.com/ie/home/products/product-details?p=56

ruddy1987 wrote: »
    Airtricity have €270 credit plus 10% of unit rate.

https://www.sseairtricity.com/ie/home/products/product-details?p=56

Worth pointing out that the Estimated Annual Bill, based on standard usage, is higher with SSE Airtricity than with Electric Ireland despite the higher discount rate because the discount rates are based on different base rates and the higher cashback with EI.

There are so many variables in electricity tariffs, using comparison sites, such as Bonkers.ie is the only want to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭fuse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Is there a clawback on the offer?

Seems to be a €50 early termination fee so what’s to stop you signing up, getting the offer and switching out immediately?

Smee_Again wrote: »

Seems to be a €50 early termination fee so what’s to stop you signing up, getting the offer and switching out immediately?

There is a clawback on the cashback (right to request it back) and an exit fee (€50 or €100 with dual fuel) if you leave inside the first year. Also the cash back is not up front, you get it off your bill and it only applies to the electricity bill if you have dual fuel.

• Advertisement

Why would you leave ? Prices are pretty good. It’d take a while to make up a 50 euro difference

Why would you leave ? Prices are pretty good. It’d take a while to make up a 50 euro difference

EI do not have the lowest unit price.

The cost of leaving inside the 12 months is up to 450 EUR (up to 350 EUR cashback and up to 100 EUR exit fees).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,868 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I had a sales guy from SSE Airtricity call with me about 3 weeks ago and he showed me (on his phone) where EI were increasing the unit rate from November. He would do that anyhow so just a heads up to anyone thinking of moving.

muffler wrote: »
    I had a sales guy from SSE Airtricity call with me about 3 weeks ago and he showed me (on his phone) where EI were increasing the unit rate from November. He would do that anyhow so just a heads up to anyone thinking of moving.

They’ll all be increasing theirs. There is also a significant PSO levy increase across the board

I’ve a relatively high mileage EV to charge at night and currently paying just over 7c for that, this is 1.5c more expensive.

I’ll need to sit down and work out the actual costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭R11

They’ll all be increasing theirs. There is also a significant PSO levy increase across the board

Bord Gais are saying they're freezing their prizes.... I wonder is that after the price hike?!! My dual fuel contract with Energia is up this week. Tempted to switch to EI but unsure if its the best deal even with the €350 cashback. Moneyguideireland and bonkers seem to think it is but I'm a bit hesitant...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I’ve a relatively high mileage EV to charge at night and currently paying just over 7c for that, this is 1.5c more expensive.

I’ll need to sit down and work out the actual costs.

Bonkers.ie
    Just put who you are wit, what plan you are on and how many kwh you use per year as well as the percentage used on night meter.
    It will come back with all of the providers and the savings you can make switching to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭zell12

muffler wrote: »
    He must've lied, EI increased their unit rates on 01/10 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

My mate works for one of the energy companies.
    He keeps saying switch every year and use bonkers.
    Be wary of any special cash discounts and offers.
    Know your usage and you can save hundreds.

It's amazing how little time most think and research about it.
    I reckon people research more when buying a toaster!

• Advertisement

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Bonkers.ie
    Just put who you are wit, what plan you are on and how many kwh you use per year as well as the percentage used on night meter.
    It will come back with all of the providers and the savings you can make switching to them.

I did that the other day and they had my current rate completely wrong so I’m not sure how much I’d trust bonkers.

Advertisement