Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland increased cashback

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

R11 wrote: »
    Bord Gais are saying they're freezing their prizes.... I wonder is that after the price hike?!! My dual fuel contract with Energia is up this week.

Don't pay any attention to the "Bord Gais price freeze", all they have done is frozen, for a short period, their high prices. More gimmicks.
    R11 wrote: »
    Tempted to switch to EI but unsure if its the best deal even with the €350 cashback. Moneyguideireland and bonkers seem to think it is but I'm a bit hesitant...

There are 3 regulator approved price comparisons - Bonkers.ie, Switcher.ie and Powertoswitch.ie. If you are hesitant with one, then put your numbers into them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭gussieg

if you have access to a calculator and how much gas or electric youve used in the last year, then you could really work out which is cheapest yourself.
    i have lately switched to bright energy as their standing charge is currently the lowest around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Smee_Again wrote: »
    I did that the other day and they had my current rate completely wrong so I’m not sure how much I’d trust bonkers.

They usually have a dropdown where you can pick the rate if the automatic pick doesnt get it right.

gussieg wrote: »
    if you have access to a calculator and how much gas or electric youve used in the last year, then you could really work out which is cheapest yourself.

Good luck doing it on a calculator correctly and good luck finding all the inputs on the websites. Inputs are day rate for electricity, night rate for electricity, day rate for gas, night rate for gas, standing order for electricity, standing order for gas, cashback for electricity and cashback for gas. You need to repeat the calculation 18 times for each provider and then 18 further times to see if seperate gas and electricity suppliers are worthwhile and then a few further times if the provider has several packages.

Alternatively, use the 3 regulator approved websites. Ensure you include cashback in the calculations and choose no to "Only show plans that I can switch to today with Switcher.ie?" type questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

JimmyVik wrote: »
    They usually have a dropdown where you can pick the rate if the automatic pick doesnt get it right.

Yeah I was able to manually enter the unit costs but it would make me question the rates of the competitors too, not that I’d sign up without checking first. But if I’ve to check anyway I may as well just bypass bonkers and do it all myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭sandra_b

Does it makes a difference if you switch with bonkers.ie or the company web site directly?

For example, for me, bonkers is showing FloGas as cheapest option to switch from Electric Ireland.
    It states 30% discount and €90 cashback .
    But on FloGas web site, it is 31%, no cashback.

Does bonkers.ie has special extra discount deals (like cashback in this case)?

In some cases, Bonkers.ie, and the other comparison sites have special rates that are not available by going direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

JTMan wrote: »
    In some cases, Bonkers.ie, and the other comparison sites have special rates that are not available by going direct.

Very important point. Do all the switcher websites offer prices from every supplier? The cheapest may not always be the best as some people have had big issues with estimated readings with one provider at least. At the end of the day these companies make a fair bit of noise about their offerings they don't always shout so loudly about standing charges, early breakage fees or annual increases.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Very important point. Do all the switcher websites offer prices from every supplier? .

The 3 regulator acredited comparison websites seem to have most/all domestic suppliers. However, to help avoid any bias, and ensure that all packages are captured including exclusive packages, one should go a search on all 3 websites (Switcher.ie. Bonkers.ie and PowerToSwitch.ie)
    Cape Clear wrote: »
    At the end of the day these companies make a fair bit of noise about their offerings they don't always shout so loudly about standing charges, early breakage fees or annual increases

Yeah, there is a lot of noise and misdirection. Board Gais talk about "freezes" but fail to mention that they have one of the highest unit rates. Energia talk about "discounts" when the real focus should be on the prices itself and not discounts on very high standard rates. Also, a lot of providers have exit fees and charge you the exit fee even if they increase their prices during the contract, something broadband and mobile providers are not allowed do.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

The 3 regulator acredited comparison websites seem to have most/all domestic suppliers. However, to help avoid any bias, and ensure that all packages are captured including exclusive packages, one should go a search on all 3 websites (Switcher.ie. Bonkers.ie and PowerToSwitch.ie)

Yeah, there is a lot of noise and misdirection. Board Gais talk about "freezes" but fail to mention that they have one of the highest unit rates. Energia talk about "discounts" when the real focus should be on the prices itself and not discounts on very high standard rates. Also, a lot of providers have exit fees and charge you the exit fee even if they increase their prices during the contract, something broadband and mobile providers are not allowed do.

onebigswitch.ie is another one

• Advertisement

onebigswitch.ie is another one

Not a comparison site but yeah it is another website to check for deals but as pointed out above the onebigswitch Energia deal is cheaper going direct.
    Waterpower.ie will do a bill analysis

I can understand "bill analysis" to see if solar or solar+battery is worthwhile with a reasonable payback period but "bill analysis" in terms of choosing a provider is best performed by the independent 3 comparison sites.

Not a comparison site but yeah it is another website to check for deals but as pointed out above the onebigswitch Energia deal is cheaper going direct.

When I was signing up, it wasn't a cheaper rate on the energia site. Plus I should hopefully get the thermostat included for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

When I was signing up, it wasn't a cheaper rate on the energia site. Plus I should hopefully get the thermostat included for free.

Yeah I went direct to them this year. I used a promo code on their site which I couldn't have if I had went with OBS And got extra cashback versus obs. No thermostat though but I didn't want one particularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭AhhHere

I was looking at bright energy. Do I need to log the metre manually? Live in an apartment and have no idea where the metre is! But it's the cheapest unit price and not locked into a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭gussieg

I'm with bright now, and its up to me to read the meter, here its in a cupboard in the hall, maybe ask where yours is , i pay a set amount per month which so far is a really good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm with bright now, and its up to me to read the meter, here its in a cupboard in the hall, maybe ask where yours is , i pay a set amount per month which so far is a really good deal.

I thought ESB networks read the meter regardless of the company you have a contact with. Why/How would Bright opt out of that?
    AhhHere wrote: »
    I was looking at bright energy. Do I need to log the metre manually? Live in an apartment and have no idea where the metre is! But it's the cheapest unit price and not locked into a contract.

For apartments, the meters are sometimes in a single location. It could be in the car park or in a panel in/near the lobby. They might not be visible to you and you probably won’t have a key for the panel if they’re together. Talk to your managing agent or OMC. Sometimes the staff can get your reading for you.

ESB Networks are in charge of meter readings regardless of your supplier. However if you've an old meter, regardless of your supplier, you will need to supply the reading are you will get an estimate bill.

Paying a fixed amount per month normally results in over payments by the consumer. Then you have added hassle of trying to get the overpayments back when you switch in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Have any current Electric Ireland customers ever rang them to see if they could get the same deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

Yes, earlier this year they extended for 1 year promotion what i got when was switching to EI using bonkers.

domeld wrote: »
    Yes, earlier this year they extended for 1 year promotion what i got when was switching to EI using bonkers.

Yeah, they will extend promo rates but not give you cashback again. You are better off switching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭you2008

Linoge wrote: »
    Have any current Electric Ireland customers ever rang them to see if they could get the same deal?

move to other one like SSE ( they also give cash back) and move back to EI next year, simple as that

I switched to Energia on onebigswitch yesterday.

12.97 cent per kWh
    €230.52 standing charge

FREE Netatmo Smart thermometer

So apparently I am not eligible for the thermostat because I have two thermostats in the house already(one upstairs and one downstairs).

I could have sworn the energia guy I talked to a while back said that wasn't a problem as they can just swap one of them, anyone know if that used to be the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Anyone else get this offer when switching from EI?
    https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2058133571

• Registered Users Posts: 49 bob.thebuilder

Hi , I am currently with EI with mine & wife names on the bill. If i sign up with my wife name only would my wife be treated as a new customer & get 265 cash back. Thank you

Hi , I am currently with EI with mine & wife names on the bill. If i sign up with my wife name only would my wife be treated as a new customer & get 265 cash back. Thank you

Appears to work but make sure:

1. You must cancel first and say you are moving out.
    2. Get wife to sign up. (new tenant).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Appears to work but make sure:
    1. You must cancel first and say you are moving out.
    2. Get wife to sign up. (new tenant).
    Make sure she has a different surname and use a different bank account (for DD discount).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Yeah or just change your existing DD via the online portal to some dud savings account or something like that.

Advertisement