Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Audiophiles' Lounge

Options

Comments

As i said earlier. I have HD650's and the K5 Pro is more than enough for them. No need to get anything more expensive. Rabbit hole territory.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

On the whole streaming service debate, I use Spotify Premium and Tidal. For 99% I can't tell the difference between the 2. The only reason I keep Tidal is I use Roon at home for listening on the PC or multi room with Sonos. It also supports casting which is pretty cool, as I cast to my Nvidia Shield in the living room and it displays lyrics etc...

I've been going through a bit of an iem phase at the moment, started with the KZ Zs10 pros, which didn't live up to all they hype online for me. They just didn't have the clarity I was looking for.

After a bit of research I picked up Shuoer Tapes 'electrostatic' iems.

Shuoer Tape

I have to say I was blown away by the detail and clarity, really good bass, but the mids were a little bit thin......anyway they lasted a week....the right ear driver failed, volume dropped off completely.

A bit disappointed, but seems not an uncommon issue.

For replacement I've ordered a set of Dunu DK 2001

Dunu DK 2001

They're getting great reviews, for a nice balanced sound with great clarity.....hopefully last a bit longer than the tapes. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,865 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

On the whole streaming service debate, I use Spotify Premium and Tidal. For 99% I can't tell the difference between the 2. The only reason I keep Tidal is I use Roon at home for listening on the PC or multi room with Sonos. It also supports casting which is pretty cool, as I cast to my Nvidia Shield in the living room and it displays lyrics etc...

I've been going through a bit of an iem phase at the moment, started with the KZ Zs10 pros, which didn't live up to all they hype online for me. They just didn't have the clarity I was looking for.

After a bit of research I picked up Shuoer Tapes 'electrostatic' iems.

Shuoer Tape

I have to say I was blown away by the detail and clarity, really good bass, but the mids were a little bit thin......anyway they lasted a week....the right ear driver failed, volume dropped off completely.

A bit disappointed, but seems not an uncommon issue.

For replacement I've ordered a set of Dunu DK 2001

Dunu DK 2001

They're getting great reviews, for a nice balanced sound with great clarity.....hopefully last a bit longer than the tapes. :o

Surely you could return them under warranty?

Interesting about the Dunu DK 2001. I recently got a pair of Radius Wn°41 earphones and I won't be looking any further. I'm done. They also have a 13mm beryllium coated driver but also have a piezoelectric high frequency transducer in a co-axial arrangement. The bass is just astonishing, tight and clean and their transient response and detail is phenomenal.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Surely you could return them under warranty?

Interesting about the Dunu DK 2001. I recently got a pair of Radius Wn°41 earphones and I won't be looking any further. I'm done. They also have a 13mm beryllium coated driver but also have a piezoelectric high frequency transducer in a co-axial arrangement. The bass is just astonishing, tight and clean and their transient response and detail is phenomenal.

Ye I took the option of a refund. I did like them, for the 7 days they worked, but I'd say the Dunus should be a step up.

Just had a quick look at the Radius on Headfonia there, not too dissimilar looking to the Dunus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jaccan

Hi looking for recommendations on bluetooth, noise cancelling headphones that are at a budget of €100-€110.

Saw the Sony WH-CH700N come in at around €100 but thought I'd check in here first.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Jaccan wrote: »
    Hi looking for recommendations on bluetooth, noise cancelling headphones that are at a budget of €100-€110.

Saw the Sony WH-CH700N come in at around €100 but thought I'd check in here first.

Thanks!

Anyone i've recommended them to has been very impressed with them for the price.

I'd go with them over any of the cheap bluetooth headphone's that you can find on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭fafy

I personally don't believe there is an audible difference between DAC's, as unpopular as I suspect that idea is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Are there any decent portable devices out there that will run spotify and have an audio jack?

Reason I ask is the I tend to buy mid range mobiles and i'm sick of trawling around looking for one with a decent audio chip and 3.5mm jack everytime I buy a phone.

I know the mighty is out there but that seems a bit of a flaky device

Bambi wrote: »
    Are there any decent portable devices out there that will run spotify and have an audio jack?

Reason I ask is the I tend to buy mid range mobiles and i'm sick of trawling around looking for one with a decent audio chip and 3.5mm jack everytime I buy a phone.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-smartphone-for-audiophile-part-ii-updated-jan-2020.853115/

LG phones mostly all have 32 bit DACs and headphone jacks.

I might have misunderstood your question: https://darko.audio/2018/08/filling-the-void-5-daps-that-do-streaming/

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    I personally don't believe there is an audible difference between DAC's, as unpopular as I suspect that idea is.

Think its a combination of all the variables, and when you have those right, it certainly does make a big difference : source file, dac, and amp, speakers/headphones. First two are essential ingredients.

Neil Young - "Archives volume 1", on Bluray, is in 192/24, (the right Source ticked)and through a decent Bluray player, amp and speakers, is pretty incredible, and my old amp only goes up to 96/24.

Only getting into this fairly recently, but looking at upgrading, and getting a decent dac, the Fiio K5 pro, is one on my radar. Looked at Schiit as well, but their uk site is out of stock on most items in current crisis.

Bambi wrote: »

Fiio M9.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Fiio M9.

Yeah I think this might be the option, I still have my old cowon S9 but back when commuting was a thing I'd mostly listen to spotify via my phone.

That said I recently cancelled my spotify premium because their security is seriously compromised IMO so might move over to Tidal.

Any thoughts on these two offers:

Sennheiser HD 660 S + Apogee Grove € €549
    https://en-ie.sennheiser.com/headphones-audiophile-high-end-hd-660-s-apogee

Versus- on UK site:(HD 650 offer not on.ie site)

Sennheiser HD 650 + Apogee Groove £ 399
    (About € 460)
    https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/sennheiser-hd-650-apogee-groove

I've not heard the 660's but have a pair of 650's. They're good and all but i have other headphone's that i prefer soundwise over them.

It's all subjective really.

I've not heard the 660's but have a pair of 650's. They're good and all but i have other headphone's that i prefer soundwise over them.

It's all subjective really.

Fair enough it is subjective alright, the groove is portable, and reviews are broadly positive, having said that, one has to think about where one would be using a 650, and with their leakage, as they are open back, it won’t be on public transport, or on a plane, but more for home listening

Definitely for home listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I have the 650's myself. They are excellent headphones, but not practical for on the go.

They were my first serious investment in headphones.

I've been using the jds 02 amp for the past couple of years, it's a great starting point, provides loads of power, but I've reached the point where maybe I should do a trade up in order to get more out of the music.

Any recommendations for a amp/dac combo anyone? Budget is probably within the 500 quid region. I knock so much use out of the headphones that it's worth the investment.

Have a look at a nice Schiit stack. Would love to myself but have other priorities at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

There seems to be supply issues at the moment. Was looking at getting a Schiit headphone amp and a schiit dac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Sheeps wrote: »
    There seems to be supply issues at the moment. Was looking at getting a Schiit headphone amp and a schiit dac.

Dacs are all gone but they have amps, https://www.schiit.co.uk/headphone-amps/Magni_3_plus

You could always buy a cheap dac until they are back in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Is there much of a difference in the end of the day between one Dac and another?

Not to my ears, after conducting some careful listening tests most people wouldn't bother with or have the equipment for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭xtal191

Anyone here have the Fiio BTR5? How is it? Good enough to run 250ohm 770 or 990?

xtal191 wrote: »
    Anyone here have the Fiio BTR5? How is it? Good enough to run 250ohm 770 or 990?

I have it, great little device but I am using it mainly for IEMs. I have used it with my AKG K712 pros, and didn't notice it lacking any volume.

If you can get a balanced cable I'd say it would give it an extra boost.

Did a lot of research on dacs & headphones, but not quite ready, to invest a lot in a desktop dac, so went with a Beyerdynamic Bundle, the Amiron Home + impacto Universal - mini dac, for €620 all in, delivered to Parcel Motel, as they won’t ship to Ireland. The DT 1990 is probably a better buy, but this bundle will give me access to Amazon Ultra HD, without additional equipment.

As the above, will only sort out my digital needs,
    If anyone has any recommendations for a good headphone amp for vinyl playing, i’d appreciate any thoughts on this.

https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/brad.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

So my one year old cockapoo just ate my trusty Sennheiser IE8's, they were old but worked well until yesterday.. Could somebody recommend a replacement, I'm looking for a decent wired iem.

TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

tedpan wrote: »
    So my one year old cockapoo just ate my trusty Sennheiser IE8's, they were old but worked well until yesterday.. Could somebody recommend a replacement, I'm looking for a decent wired iem.

TIA.
    I recently got myself a pair of KZ ZS10 Pro's a few weeks ago. For the price they sound pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Sheeps wrote:
    I recently got myself a pair of KZ ZS10 Pro's a few weeks ago. For the price they sound pretty good.

Cheers, I'll have a look now.

Advertisement