Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Who would have reckoned the RE series would pull itself back after number six came out? For other franchises that could have been its death knell yet instead Capcom managed to take a punt on returning to its roots via a different genre (FPS survival horror), and a couple of excellent remasters. No reason something like Dead Space couldn't do the same but it would definitely require some stones on EA's part - and therein lies the rub of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

pixelburp wrote: »
    Who would have reckoned the RE series would pull itself back after number six came out? For other franchises that could have been its death knell yet instead Capcom managed to take a punt on returning to its roots via a different genre (FPS survival horror), and a couple of excellent remasters. No reason something like Dead Space couldn't do the same but it would definitely require some stones on EA's part - and therein lies the rub of course.

I won't lie, I was extremely worried about RE after RE6 - a game I truly despise, but I always knew they could and probably would turn it around. I never thought they would do it so (relatively) quickly though. After RE6 they released Rev 2, RE7, RER2 and RER3. All fantastic games to varying degrees.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,705 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I honestly don't miss Dead Space. It's a grand series but was always Resident Evil methadone. And the story sucks.

Unless it's a RE:7 style reinvention of the series and reboot then forget about it and do something more original please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'm always more interested in new IP's than sequels and remakes, however good they often are. Whenever talk about Sega getting bought comes up everybody is like "Oh cool. More Crazy Taxi. More Jet Set Radio" and I'm like noooo. Those games were cool because they were original. The thing that always separated Sega from Nintendo is they weren't as controlled and just went with whatever daft concept their game directors were feeling.

Sega with Yakuza and Nintendo with err everything are very good at making their existing IP's feel fresh with gameplay tweaks and that's nice but totally new IP's are even better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,705 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd still murder someone for a Skies of Arcadia 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭recyclops

I'd love Konami to remake shadow of memories that ps2 gem that got lost amongst their silent hills and metal gears

• Registered Users Posts: 29,438 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

For anyone interested in Red Dead, my friend Paddy got John Marston himself on for a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sitting here, still waiting on the SSX Tricky remake/sequel...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,085 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Replace SSX with Destruction Derby and that's me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

J. Marston wrote: »
    Have you tried Wreckfest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    For anyone interested in Red Dead, my friend Paddy got John Marston himself on for a chat.

Haven’t watched it all yet but it’s great to see an interview where both the host and subject are so into it, brilliant stuff so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,085 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Odd decision to redesign Peter Parker for the Spiderman remaster.

Original...

cd8a8a482d7c7cb740bc57466e2644f2.jpg

Remaster...

50395503493_3381c3739a_h.jpg

Apparently it's done to capture a look of voice actor Yuri Lowenthal when he was younger but it just looks like a knock-off Tom Holland to me.

recyclops wrote: »
    I'd love Konami to remake shadow of memories that ps2 gem that got lost amongst their silent hills and metal gears

Oh here what a game , got this when it came out and played it death for every outcome.

I'd play it again with my rose coloured glasses on if they even put on PS Now. Sony need to look at backward compatibility etc more. I still have the disc

It's probably a top 5 game for me from that era just because it something I knew nothing about at the time and really grabbed me as it was so unique vs other stuff I was playing at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭quokula

Odd decision to redesign Peter Parker for the Spiderman remaster.

Original...

cd8a8a482d7c7cb740bc57466e2644f2.jpg

Remaster...

50395503493_3381c3739a_h.jpg

Apparently it's done to capture a look of voice actor Yuri Lowenthal when he was younger but it just looks like a knock-off Tom Holland to me.

Id say most likely they needed to re-capture in higher fidelity for the remaster and the original actor was unavailable, so they came up with some reason to justify the change. Find it hard to imagine that the stated reason is the real one, just no way it would justify the amount of extra work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

We all have that game we'd like a sequel or even a remaster of (Total Annihilation in my case) but after 30 years of playing games I most value being surprised. Hell I'd take any good modern RTS at this point it's pretty much an extinct genre outside MOBAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You have me there too. DD2 being the first PS game I owned. Great memories. But as Robert said, Wreckfest is basically current gen Destruction Derby, and it's good fun. Amazing work on the damage models.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Enfilade wrote: »
    Oh here what a game

I played it a couple of years ago on PC but I remember my sis playing it on PS2. Definitely a unique game. I wouldn't rely on Sony to remaster everything just because I want to play it again. I think they had a Vita release of it but they changed VAs. I prefer the dorky original PAL voice.

Shadow of Memories got a pseudo spiritual sequel on DS called Time Hollow.

Completely ignored as well and never got as far as Europe but did get a US release. Well worth playing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Not to be pedantic, but it did get a sequel, SSX3 :P

I know what you mean though. After EA puked out SSX 2012 i just can't see them going back and giving us a new game that would be anything like Tricky

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'm totally perplexed by the way Sony are handling the cross gen transition. Not catering for saves to transfer over between generations seems almost stone aged, I have to admit that I just assumed that they'd be done automatically like they are on Xbox.

I know a lot of people are trading in their old systems during the upgrade, but plenty more will want to move their current console into a bedroom to continue playing on, and now they'll essentially have two completely different versions of the same game, with no way to continue playing same save.

I wonder how Cyberpunk is going to handle it.

See here.

• Advertisement

Is this a Sony thing or just lazy devs? I really can't imagine importing one save game to another console is all that tough considering they are using the same code base.

**** it, even Suikoden 3 recognised my Suikoden 2 PS1 save back on the PS2.

I can only imagine it's Sony being overly cautious about security of the PS5 console. Allowing movement of old code to a newer system is one of those back doors that hackers like to exploit to run unauthored code.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Is this a Sony thing or just lazy devs? I really can't imagine importing one save game to another console is all that tough considering they are using the same code base.

**** it, even Suikoden 3 recognised my Suikoden 2 PS1 save back on the PS2.

I can only imagine it's Sony being overly cautious about security of the PS5 console. Allowing movement of old code to a newer system is one of those back doors that hackers like to exploit to run unauthored code.

Something to do with the SKUs, it seems like. Nobody is sure yet, but games that have their own online save system are ok, like Destiny or Hitman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

They're not even syncing the saves? Can't believe people pay money for these services.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That's it though. They haven't said yet. I know can't transfer PS4 Spider-man saves to the PS5 version but we don't know about The PS4 saves to playing the PS4 version on the PS5. I would assume the saves will copy over.

Think I did read that PS4 save for Miles Morales can be used on the PS5 version

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Ive got 6 weeks left to finish "My time in portia so"
    will be tough. what a game.

My "Apex Legends " stats better get carried over..thats all I can say..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭quokula

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'm totally perplexed by the way Sony are handling the cross gen transition. Not catering for saves to transfer over between generations seems almost stone aged, I have to admit that I just assumed that they'd be done automatically like they are on Xbox.

I know a lot of people are trading in their old systems during the upgrade, but plenty more will want to move their current console into a bedroom to continue playing on, and now they'll essentially have two completely different versions of the same game, with no way to continue playing same save.

I wonder how Cyberpunk is going to handle it.

See here.

In fairness I think this is mostly down to Microsoft pushing BC and cross compatibility hard and redefining expectations, along with certain games-as-a-service titles like Fortnite.

But previously this sort of save transfer was unheard of. I didn't expect to be able to continue my PS2 or PS3 saves on the PS4 remasters of SOTC, TLOU, FFXII etc. I couldn't transfer a BOTW save from my Wii U to Switch. You can't take your Xbox 360 Skyrim save over to the Xbox One re-release.

In my mind new consoles are new machines, with new hardware and new software. It's a reset. I get a new console to play new things. Even for games that have both a previous and next gen version, historically they've been completely different games that you buy completely separately and often have different features. It's a bit of a new concept Microsoft are pushing that it's just one game, but it has graphics settings turned up on the newer console.

This world of backwards compatibility and cross compatibility is new, and it's interesting for a few months during the crossover phase, but honestly a year from now when most games are being built primarily for the next gen consoles it will have been mostly forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

CastorTroy wrote: »
    we don't know about The PS4 saves to playing the PS4 version on the PS5. I would assume the saves will copy over.

I am 99.9% certain they have already confirmed this won't be a problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

quokula wrote: »
    In fairness I think this is mostly down to Microsoft pushing BC and cross compatibility hard and redefining expectations, along with certain games-as-a-service titles like Fortnite.

But previously this sort of save transfer was unheard of. I didn't expect to be able to continue my PS2 or PS3 saves on the PS4 remasters of SOTC, TLOU, FFXII etc. I couldn't transfer a BOTW save from my Wii U to Switch. You can't take your Xbox 360 Skyrim save over to the Xbox One re-release.

In my mind new consoles are new machines, with new hardware and new software. It's a reset. I get a new console to play new things. Even for games that have both a previous and next gen version, historically they've been completely different games that you buy completely separately and often have different features. It's a bit of a new concept Microsoft are pushing that it's just one game, but it has graphics settings turned up on the newer console.

This world of backwards compatibility and cross compatibility is new, and it's interesting for a few months during the crossover phase, but honestly a year from now when most games are being built primarily for the next gen consoles it will have been mostly forgotten about.

This is the main reason why I keep my consoles. I don't expect consoles data to transition from 1 generation to the next. PS4 and PS5 would have different OS's. Xbox One and Xbox Series are both off Windows 10 aren't they? So essentially their transferability should function similarly to PC gaming.

quokula wrote: »

Microsoft are pitching the XBox brand as a platform that will carry over from generation to generation. Sony on the other hand are kind of doing this but also not and it's really confusing. And there's also pretty much no excuse for this either.

• Advertisement

Markitron wrote: »
    I am 99.9% certain they have already confirmed this won't be a problem.

Yes, PS4 versions will be fine, but there's a question mark over any game that gets a free upgrade.

It's not a problem long term of course, once games are next gen exclusive this will stop being an issue, but for now it's just weird.

Advertisement