Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female, LGBTQI+ or People of Colour Mods

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

As everyone is ganging up on me I'm going to watch Mary Berry.

I think it would be productive it people could reflect on the fact that the main page of boards is continuously filtered with obsessive threads about trans people with the sleaziest language.

That would be a good first step acknowledging this is happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

The bleat about not liking a thread appearing on the front page is so disingenuous.
    Simple remedy. Select forums you want to follow. And either select my forums when you log on or have the boards/my forums url as your default log in. Someone will be able to explain how to do that better than me. Or you can select the 'my threads' tab and your eyes do not ever have to be offended.

There are plenty of threads I could not be arsed with. Trivially annoyed, where are you, views on multiculturalism, sport, some kind of werewolf weirdness I cannot figure out, ms paint, it's endless how many things I am not interested in. There was or perhaps still is an enormous thread about shyte. Somehow one manages.

You are plenty well able to dish the contempt as well, so stop with the obsequious thanking and pretending to be sheltered and easily offended. Topics have to be thrashed out. And your views are not the only ones that exist.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

And their home addesses too. So if they are not woke enough i can doorstep them to discuss their moderation further
    As a mod who identifies as "zur", not "their", I find your comment offensive.

/sarcasm (Just in case!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Gatling wrote: »
    Boards on zoom.

That way it's all transparent we can literally see into to each others world as we discussed topic's live in HD

Awww see!
    Now I actually kind of really want that!

I'm too ugly for HD tho! :(
    tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

All mods should be diverse but the one thing they'll inevitably have is a common upper middle class modern left leaning background or they'll be problematic as well.

That's the one thing they'll never accept diversity In.

A gay person who isn't on script will be bounced out as quick as any one else who thinks ina way that isn't liked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Actually nobody's ganging up on you.

They're disagreeing with you, and the opportunity is there to debate the points on either side and explore the issues.

But you just keep reiterating the same point while actively ignoring what people are saying to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

For a place that has so many topics about the above, there is a distinct lack of voices from such, and if a woman gets a bit uppity she's shot down.
    Seems like you've been on boards for a while, but only discovered the...ah...joys of Current Affairs. It's the sewer of boards, and has been since it was set up. Populated with its share of total dicks, and has been since it was set up. They eventually get banned only to reregister and do it all over again.

You would do yourself and your inner calm a big favour by just never going back into the forum.

Thank you for your contribution.

That's, as you say the kicker, progress often comes kicking and screaming.

Thank you for your thanks for my contribution

I don't believe in the merit of declaring one's own beliefs as 'progress', it is a transparently self-congratulatory act that low-key denigrates opposing views without providing a rejoinder of any substance so I regret that I cannot myself thank you for your contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I think it would be productive it people could reflect on the fact that the main page of boards is continuously filtered with obsessive threads about trans people with the sleaziest language.

It isn't though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

osarusan wrote: »
    Seems like you've been on boards for a while, but only discovered the...ah...joys of Current Affairs. It's the sewer of boards, and has been since it was set up. Populated with its share of total dicks, and has been since it was set up. They eventually get banned only to reregister and do it all over again.

You would do yourself and your inner calm a big favour by just never going back into the forum.

I did notice a lot of them are new users who only post on that or one other forum.

• Advertisement

Would you rather no discussion or only discussion that you agree with?

Can you suggest the gender, age and racial profile of the mod most likely to guarantee you your preferred outcome? Perhaps specificity would aid us in reaching an outcome here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Danzy wrote: »
    All mods should be diverse but the one thing they'll inevitably have is a common upper middle class modern left leaning background

That's the one thing they'll never accept diversity.

A gay person who isn't on script will be bounced out as quick as any one else who thinks ina way that isn't liked.

As if there aren't any right wing gay or black people. Almost like people don't base all their opninions on these things.

But yes never any mention of class. Ever.

And what are you going to do with a female mod who doesn't agree with you?!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,300 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

"There's a place on this site for pretty much everyone except for those who simply want to stir things".

The implication is that I am a 'stirrer' and the people I disagree with who use the sleaziest of language, who name call me, aren't.

I'm sorry if you read it that way. It was certainly not intended. Most of the posters I am referring to are sitebanned as trolls, re-reg trolls, spammers and the like

I have no issue with you starting this thread, particularly as it gives me the opportunity to set out my own perspective after being on the site for over a decade as a "registered user" posting in a couple of relatively niche forums, then as a moderator of both forums. I expanded my responsibility across all Sports Forums as a Category moderator. In doing that I experience all the issues around the likes of the Soccer Forum and to a lesser extent Rugby. I then took on sitewide responsibilities and in that role was quite close to the creation of the Current Affairs (and after that Coronavirus) forum

If I look at my own posting record, a significant proportion of my 40k+ posts (not far off 50%) have been in private mods forums discussing issues across the site, and when I add my "visible" moderating posts, and dealings in the likes of Feedback it comes to well over 50% of "non-personal" posting

I have dedicated a lot of time to this site over that 10+ years. I've got a lot out of it as well. I've been told I'm "brain dead", apparently I'm a leftie, as well as a "rightie" (although I would challenge anyone to work out what my political leanings are based on what I have posted on this site). I've been threatened with physical violence. People have tried to doxx me (although I've never tried to hide my real identity) in the hope they can stir things for me elsewhere. I've even had to deal with posters who claim to be close to the Dublin gangland scene

The one thing I will come back to based on all those experiences on this site is it does cater for a very wide range of views. Posters sometimes fall foul of the rules. Sometimes we as mods get it wrong. Ultimately though the vast, vast majority of posters find this site a very useful resource, and a place where they can make friends (sometimes friends in the "real world" - I personally know and are friends with a very large number of posters, but equally I have acted against some of those posters when required - that does not affect my friendships, and nor des that make such posters "stirrers" or "troublemakers")

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Gruffalux wrote: »
    And what are you going to do with a female mod who doesn't agree with you?!

Demand a transmod

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,300 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

banie01 wrote: »
    I want mods to include their photo, pro-nouns and qualifications!

My photo is there in my avatar. Please refer to me as "Sir" or "Warden Hodges". I'm a qualified First Aider, but other than that have not received any qualifications since my last exam on 11 July 1985. I hope to be the first Site Administrator drawing his pension in a few weeks time (not from here I might add:pac:)

Beasty wrote: »
    My photo is there in my avatar. Please refer to me as "Sir" or "Warden Hodges". I'm a qualified First Aider, but other than that have not received any qualifications since my last exam on 11 July 1985. I hope to be the first Site Administrator drawing his pension in a few weeks time (not from here I might add:pac:)

I always think posters look exactly like their avatars. Silly but I can't help it.

I always think posters look exactly like their avatars. Silly but I can't help it.

Well hello Nurse

Well hello Nurse

Mine is more an atmospheric representation of personality. I am not blond.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,644 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So... what is the feedback?

• Advertisement

If only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Overheal wrote: »
    So... what is the feedback?

Mine is more an atmospheric representation of personality. I am not blond.

Still , I don't look much like Optimus prime either was batman for a good few years too ,not exactly Bruce Wayne either

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Tall, long-legged, slim, graceful, warm blonde, mild mannered with ridiculously long eyelashes?

Yes that's exactly what I look like.

:D

Still , I don't look much like Optimus prime either was batman for a good few years too ,not exactly Bruce Wayne either

Well... that's because that's not Optimus Prime. It's Ultra Magnus. Surrender your nerd badge.

Neyite wrote: »
    Tall, long-legged, slim, graceful, warm blonde, mild mannered with ridiculously long eyelashes?

Yes that's exactly what I look like.

:D

I knew it!!

Well... that's because that's not Optimus Prime. It's Ultra Magnus. Surrender your nerd badge.

Nooooooooooo

Say it ain't so , I've been living a lie

Nooooooooooo

Say it ain't so , I've been living a lie

Uh yeah, you're a regular Rachel Dolezal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I think then that's a shame and I feel it's sad for moderators like JoeyParrot for example.

Is it because Boards.ie sees it's social obligation filled by having a forum for LGBTQIA+ but when threads spread into the main pages it's different.

I think a lack of diverse voices is evident on the forums if even you are uncomfortable with it.

It reminds me of people who say I don't see colour, which is very easy for a white person to say.

Do you not think the obsession with trans peoples genitalia is, sleazy, to rob the word from another poster?

Does it ever cross your mind that Boards isn't a welcoming place for women, LGBTQI+ (Outside that forum) or People of Colour?

that last phrase - I think you read too much into it.
    Not sure how long you have been a member in boards and how familiar you are with certain topics, but in Current Affairs (and After Hours) the variety on topics is wide and discussions can become very heated - like the one in reference.

If you think about it: do you really want to discuss a topic like that in Current Affairs? Isn't the LGBT subforum a better place to have a meaningful discussion about it? Not to say that things won't get heated there but normally people are a bit more familiar with the concept and can discuss reasonably.

I will be honest with you: Having been a member of boards for nearly 9 years now, I never go to threads in Current Affairs or After Hours unless it is something really for fun and chances are that nothing heated would happen except for some normal bunter.

Boards is very wide and not everything would suit you (or anyone) so I think you need to pick the forums that suit you and follow only them. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Dude, that is some deep cut knowledge. I'd be impressed if it wasn't so incredibly nerdy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement