Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD Cancel Richard Dawkins.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yeah maybe I should. And maybe Muslims need to start living in the 21st century and accept not everyone belives in Allah.
    He said
    “Listening to the lovely bells of Winchester, one of our great mediaeval cathedrals. So much nicer than the aggressive-sounding ‘Allahu Akhbar.’ Or is that just my cultural upbringing?”

and
    When asked to clarify his comments, Mr Dawkins told The Independent the call to prayer could be “very beautiful… but also, ‘Allahu Akhbar’ is the last thing you hear before the suicide bomb goes off”.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jimmy Twotimes

Well saying the muslim call to prayer is agressive and that allah akbar is the last thing you hear before the suicide bomb goes off...its a little much.

Tell that to all the Europeans murdered by Muslim terrorists in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"The Hist"...

The name suggests c*nts need only apply....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 40,278 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

"The Hist"...

indeed. Whereas members of the Phil bestrode the world like the greek gods they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Whatever. Not my problem if Muslims are so fragile they get 'hurt' by Dawkins.

Perhaps they should have a debate over it?
    Yeah maybe I should. And maybe Muslims need to start living in the 21st century and accept not everyone belives in Allah.

Do not post in this thread again. Take your Islamophobia elsewhere.

"The Hist"...

Ironically, having looked at their facebook page, it seems mostly run by women...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Its like the guy writing the opinion piece is deliberately misunderstanding whats being said at times. Tis an opinion I suppose.

As for the tweet, I don't think he's victim-blaming there (nor would I, ever, before someone accuses me of it), I thinking he's stating a fact, although not in a great way. If you happen to be sober when assaulted you will remember more about it. Not always a good thing of course but its factually correct to say alcohol effects the memory and that could possibly hinder information being passed on to the authorities. You could take it like that or you could take it in the way Hist have taken it.

I'd say he's a terrible dick in real life but he's interesting.

What if i said this?
    The Irish speaker now sounds aggressive because Tiocfaidh ar la was the last thing that was heard in canary warf?

And I am NOT to be clear. Just playing devils advocate.

Muslims are not responsible for terrorism by other muslims they dont even know.

Just like i or you are not responsible for the IRA.

Of course .....anger even hatred is perfectly human if you have been in a traumatic event. Its human.

He said

Yeah, what's the problem?

He's culturally Christian, like the vast majority here,

• Advertisement

What if i said this?

And I am NOT to be clear. Just playing devils advocate.

Muslims are not responsible for terrorism by other muslims they dont even know.

Just like i or you are not responsible for the IRA.

Of course .....anger even hatred is perfectly human if you have been in a traumatic event. Its human.

Well YOU certainly are not responsible for the IRA. That we can agree on.

Yeah, what's the problem?

He's culturally Christian, like the vast majority here,
    To say allah akbar is the last thing you here before the suicide bomb is like saying the irish langauge is the last thing you here before the IRA bomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

Utterly embarrassing, really. Always interesting listening to him speak, whether I agree with him or not.

Well YOU certainly are not responsible for the IRA. That we can agree on.
    And all other Irish people are?

Am I somehow better in your eyes?

I've encountered this before.

To say allah akbar is the last thing you here before the suicide bomb is like saying the irish langauge is the last thing you here before the IRA bomb.

Not really though is it? Suicide bombers are well documented as saying it, I'm not sure if there's even a single documented case of the Irish equivalent. Were there even any Irish suicide bombers?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Whoa.
    Why is everyone blaming Muslim students?

It looks like some members were uncomfortable with his views regarding culpability around sexual assaults where the victim had been drinking.

I don't agree with his stance and I am not sure I agree with him being uninvited. But I can understand why some members of the society might be uncomfortable with giving him a platform. It's a private members club. The club gets to decide who they have speak and who the does not.

I can't remember if it was The Hist or The Phil. But I rember protesting when they had a holocaust denier speak. I would much rather they had cancelled the speaker.

Not really though is it?
    It is.

And the attitudes are the same. Particulary in the uk towards irish people during the 70s.

A lot of the Islamaphobia has been replaced with anti Irish talk over the NI situation from brexit now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

https://www.universitytimes.ie/2020/09/the-hist-will-not-be-moving-ahead-with-richard-dawkins-address/

Cancelled because it would make some students 'uncomfortable'. An important part of personal development during university is engaging with different ideas and learning to form your own opinion. Regardless of whether Dawkins is right or wrong, engaging with talks such as this is a valuable part of the college learning experience.

That's my view - have I missed something?
    When i was in TCD, the Hist took great pleasure in inviting the most controversial speakers they could, and also actually debated with them. the sessions were legendary too. Sad to see the current generation of woke student tossers have ruined it all. Back in the day they would have invited Dawkins, and invited Halawa as the counter debate

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Jimmy Twotimes is taking a holiday, don't answer them as they won't be able to reply.

It is.

And the attitudes are the same. Particulary in the uk towards irish people during the 70s.

A lot of the Islamaphobia has been replaced with anti Irish talk over the NI situation from brexit now.
    When was a cry in the Irish language ever linked to suicide bombings? Would be interested to read about that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

I was certainly glad at the time that David Irving the Holocaust denier was not given a platform. Now... I'm a bit torn. On the one hand, I really don't like the idea of any oxygen being given to lies... but on the other hand, refusing to give them a space where their hatefulness can be challenged, is just gonna help entrench them even deeper in that hatefulness.

I never liked him, but I don't know how anyone could take him seriously after he banged Mr garrison..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Not really though is it? Suicide bombers are well documented as saying it, I'm not sure if there's even a single documented case of the Irish equivalent. Were there even any Irish suicide bombers?
    Yes there was. Truck driver forced to drive his explosive rigged truck against a British army outpost while is family were held hostage

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

"Why would people have a different reaction to a different situation?".

I’m asking why people are having a go at the left. Was it left wing people who had him cancelled?

I assumed it was the normal religious nuts who objected.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Whoa.
    Don't think we're blaming muslims, moreso woke-ists. Also the article linked suggested his views on muslims was the reason he was 'cancelled ', most people will take that and run with it

Whoa.

It looks like some members were uncomfortable with his views regarding culpability around sexual assaults where the victim had been drinking.

I don't agree with his stance and I am not sure I agree with him being uninvited. But I can understand why some members of the society might be uncomfortable with giving him a platform. It's a private members club. The club gets to decide who they have speak and who the does not.

I can't remember if it was The Hist or The Phil. But I rember protesting when they had a holocaust denier speak. I would much rather they had cancelled the speaker.
    the thing is ..its not ONE particular thing he has said.

Its the fact that he is a multiple offender on many fronts.

I still don't think you should cancel him. Verbally beat him to a pulp! :D

They have also had many speakers who are experts on the holocaust there to educate people too though.

Yes there was. Truck driver forced to drive his explosive rigged truck against a British army outpost while is family were held hostage

Horrible. Sounds more like murder though.

Lets just keep that quiet.

Lets just keep that quiet.

Any other instances of Irish people shouting in Irish before blowing themselves up? As you claimed. The above sounds more like a heinous murder, and it doesn't mention the Irish language. Not sure that poor man's family would appreciate him being called a suicide bomber.

• Advertisement

I was certainly glad at the time that David Irving the Holocaust denier was not given a platform. Now... I'm a bit torn. On the one hand, I really don't like the idea of any oxygen being given to lies... but on the other hand, refusing to give them a space where their hatefulness can be challenged, is just gonna help entrench them even deeper in that hatefulness.
    Give them a platform ...take their earnings away.

They should not be allowed to profit from racism. that will change things.

Its not about platform ..its about money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement