Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,430 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

How the tunes have changed. From a PlayStation series exclusive to releasing on xbox to now timed exclusive on xbox. Yakuza 7: Like A Dragon will release on launch with XSX and releases 2nd Match on PS5.

https://twitter.com/RGGStudio/status/1310565331354738689?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    How the tunes have changed. From a PlayStation series exclusive to releasing on xbox to now timed exclusive on xbox. Yakuza 7: Like A Dragon will release on launch with XSX and releases 2nd Match on PS5.

https://twitter.com/RGGStudio/status/1310565331354738689?s=19

Possibly Microsoft going hard in trying to get a stronger foothold in the Japanese market.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Stealth hint at that Sega buy out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I suspect Sega getting bought out by Sony or Microsoft would be terrible for them. They'd just get broken down for parts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rumours of a buy out and they have been in discussions before.

The loss of Sega and particularly Atlus would be quite a bit hit to Sony.

But it is rumours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Japanese customers seem highly resistant to buying previous Xboxes no matter how many Japanese exclusives they've got so stuff like Yakuza is just going to languish on there in that market.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CatInABox wrote: »

I’m very pro the backwards compatibility efforts that Microsoft has led the way on, and I’m sure they’ll continue to do stellar work. But literally the only backwards compatibility question I have about the next gen is whether Bloodborne will play at a boosted frame rate :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I remember people where suggesting EA where about to buy Sega a few ago under the impression that Sega are quite small struggling company now. They are not. They are still worth billions.

Pretty sure like Konami Sega are much more than their videogame division and have their hands in anime and music as well as other industries.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I’m very pro the backwards compatibility efforts that Microsoft has led the way on, and I’m sure they’ll continue to do stellar work. But literally the only backwards compatibility question I have about the next gen is whether Bloodborne will play at a boosted frame rate :pac:

Guess we'll have to see on Bloodbourne, but apparently Sekiro runs at a "nearly locked" 60 on Xbox. Hopefully there's a similar boost on the PS side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭quokula

Yakuza 7 is out on PS4 (and thus PS5 through BC) at the same time as Xbox. I suspect this is more a case of the technical simplicity of releasing the same game as both an Xbox One and Xbox Series game at once, versus needing to do some upgrade work to release it as a full PS5 title.

Probably due to the whole generations vs not generations ideology the two platform holders have going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CatInABox wrote: »
    Guess we'll have to see on Bloodbourne, but apparently Sekiro runs at a "nearly locked" 60 on Xbox. Hopefully there's a similar boost on the PS side.

I joke a bit, but Bloodborne is the exceedingly rare game this generation that really could soar with a performance boost. I mean it’s one of the best games ever made already, but I’d be truly excited about playing it at 60FPS or even without the frame pacing issues. Same with The Last Guardian come to think of it.

There’s been a pretty solid baseline quality this generation thankfully - even at 30 FPS most games run fine! Even something like Control has an excellent PC version which lets you run it at full potential (plus it has a full next gen upgrade coming). The ones with noticeable, game-damaging issues are few and far between, so those are the ones I’m keen to see boosted.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

id say from would have to patch it first though at least according to this article i was reading

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-bloodborne-60fps-hack-tested-the-complete-story

possibly the rumors of a remaster might just be a patch for higher resolution textures for the ps5 and the work done to make it compatible with
    60fps and if it is coming to pc a patched version of the ps4 game would the version that releases

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Rumour, rather than news. But fingers crossed...
    Titanfall 3 Is In Development, According To Known Apex Legends Dataminer – WCCFTech

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If they made a Effect and Cause game, I would probably play. Part of the reason I like the look of The Medium

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Azza wrote: »
    I remember people where suggesting EA where about to buy Sega a few ago under the impression that Sega are quite small struggling company now. They are not. They are still worth billions.

They have a very lucrative arcade division. They own the arcades and the games, they also make those pachinko machines that make a nice bit.

They choose steady games to release. And they have toys and animation. My kids know sonic from the cartoons not the games. Even that movie made money I think.

Yeah Sega also have a strong presence on PC in recent years buying out Creative Assembly, Relic Studios and Sports Interactive, making them the effective owners of the Alien Isolation, Total War, Dawn of War, Company or Heroes and Football Manager IP's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Yeah Sega also have a strong presence on PC in recent years buying out Creative Assembly, Relic Studios and Sports Interactive, making them the effective owners of the Alien Isolation, Total War, Dawn of War, Company or Heroes and Football Manager IP's.

I would do terrible things for a sequel to Alien Isolation.

Horrible, unspeakable things. The kind of things that you couldn't unsee or undo. The kind of things that would stay with you for the rest of your life. I am somewhat of a fan of that game.

Me too but make it 6-8 hours long please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I never finished Alien Isolation; just found it too scary & nerve-wracking and feel no shame admitting it. The game remains in my best-of list precisely because I can't bring myself to finish it.

• Advertisement

The second half of the game is so bad that I actually just can’t muster the same enthusiasm about the experience as some do. Absolutely the Alien itself is brilliantly realised in those key early hours, but it’s a game that descends to increasing depths of mediocrity far quicker and for far longer than it should.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I never finished Alien Isolation; just found it too scary & nerve-wracking and feel no shame admitting it. The game remains in my best-of list precisely because I can't bring myself to finish it.

Don't worry its far less shameful than admitting you only have 2GB of VRAM! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Don't worry its far less shameful than admitting you only have 2GB of VRAM! :pac:

LOL :D Oh I forgot about that. I don't think that laptop has fired up a game in months. I'm a pure Switch kiddy these days, far gone are my PC Master Race days!

I am one of the dozens of people that thought AI was the perfect length. Its 15 to 20 hours of everything going wrong and at the end you are mentally exhausted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Alien Isolation goes from a rollercoaster ride of pure fear and anxiety to 'Ah, ffs Alien, would you just piss off and let me finish this game!' The game is way too long.

Also, those android things are an absolute pain in the hole and just suck the fun out of the experience.

Alien Isolation goes from a rollercoaster ride of pure fear and anxiety to 'Ah, ffs Alien, would you just piss off and let me finish this game!' The game is way too long.

Also, those android things are an absolute pain in the hole and just suck the fun out of the experience.

I thought they were really creepy and very well done. The section with them in the reactor core/power station is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The second half of the game is so bad that I actually just can’t muster the same enthusiasm about the experience as some do. Absolutely the Alien itself is brilliantly realised in those key early hours, but it’s a game that descends to increasing depths of mediocrity far quicker and for far longer than it should.
    You could probably remove a couple of missions from the middle part of the game where I felt it dragged a little but once you get to
    the reactor and go down to the hive
    , I felt it moved along at a really nice pace?

Speaking of the franchise, Cold Iron Studios are evidently still working on a new game with the IP, originally said to be a shooter but there's been no real details released about it yet. They have, however, changed hands again with their new owners being Daybreak but with production on said title continuing despite no longer being owned by Disney/Fox.

gizmo wrote: »
    You could probably remove a couple of missions from the middle part of the game where I felt it dragged a little but once you get to
    the reactor and go down to the hive
    , I felt it moved along at a really nice pace?

Spoilers for the 2nd half of AI here
    Yea from that point onwards the game whips along, IMO it build a real sense of momentum coming up on the end. Whilst I am fine with the length, I can see what you mean about shortening it at that point. I kinda liked the few hours before hand as the game does a good job of making you believe the Alien is actually dead by having such an extended section without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BigGpu380

Another dead space title would be incredible even though I have little doubt it'll ever happen unfortunately.

• Advertisement

BigGpu380 wrote: »
    Another dead space title would be incredible even though I have little doubt it'll ever happen unfortunately.

A good Dead Space is never gonna happen unless EA sell the license, which they won't. So depressing, after the second game I genuinely thought we had the next Resident Evil on our hands.

I was half right, we certainly had the next RE6 on our hands when DS3 released.

Advertisement