Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise From Construction Sites

Options
  • 28-09-2020 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,903 ✭✭✭✭

All,

I have a neighbor who recently sold a house that the new owners for want of a better description have gutted / are gutting both inside for renovations and outside... gardens too, all trees, being ripped up, old windows being ripped out, new wall being built. Mostly done of course by use of quite heavy plant machinery, sounds like pile driving right now with material being forcefully dumped into a skip by a digger. Can almost ‘feel’ the vibrations.

Both Friday and today it started bang on 7am. I woke bang on 7am on it commencing. I’d no knowledge of building/planning regulations so on clicking on the council website to verify I was surprised that works of this nature can proceed from 7am without restrictions.

In a civilized world how the fûck is that allowed ? While I understand that there might be commercial concerns or pressures to get work done in a speedy and efficient manner, if that is work of this nature to be carried out at an early and unreasonable time which 7am IS in my view, for a residential area you are in a situation in this poxy country yet again where the whims and wants of a commercial business trumps the wellbeing and comfort of the average citizen and community. WHY ?

8am is reasonable as the majority are up or at least awake or getting there where it won’t be sooo much of an inconvenience.. But in corporate Ireland which for I guess 25 years plus now has had the run and say of everything and anything for its benefit with little or no consideration for the ordinary guy... it’s poxy.

Has anybody had any luck on the off chance in complaining that noise might be ‘excessive’ or is there any recourse at all here ? The DCC website suggests not but is vague in its wording, no surprises there.... thanks. It’s like a war zone out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

This is a reply I made to a similar post from two weeks ago
    Dudda wrote: »
    Ok to clarify the rules in Ireland:

Back in the boom times the green party when in government with FF tried to bring in construction noise and time regulations. This failed as the construction industry was so strong and employed so many. In addition the argument you need to carry out roadworks outside certain hours was used. We therefore have no time limits on construction noise.

Noise after 11pm falls under a different category and the police can deal with it like for example a house party. For construction noise after 11 they'll tell you to deal with the Environment Protection Agency in your local council. The problem is they work 9-5 Monday to Friday so won't deal with complaints outside this time unless arranged in advance.

Due to the lack of laws some local authorities, particularly in the larger cities, impose construction related hours conditions on planning applications. This doesn't always happen (way less than half) and obviously only applies if the project requires planning and even then you can't really complain as they planning enforcer works 9-5 Monday to Friday. If you complain about people working late they'll come out the following night. We complained about a shop in Dublin City Council carrying out renovations overnight during our exams in college. The following day the contractor applied for a night construction permit (which anyone can get) and when the enforcer turned up presented it.

In short you can do pretty much nothing and in general I'm happy with this. People need to do work at certain times for a number of reasons.

Daylight is best in the morning particularly in the winter therefore the early start. You need good daylight for a health and safety point and also to be able to produce a high quality of work.

Remember the construction won't last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,903 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This is a reply I made to a similar post from two weeks ago

Daylight is best in the morning particularly in the winter therefore the early start. You need good daylight for a health and safety point and also to be able to produce a high quality of work.

Remember the construction won't last forever.

I can’t agree unfortunately.

In September there are no ‘light’ issues whatsoever that would negatively impact work being carried out at responsible times. Sunset will be at approximately 19.10 this evening. Over ten hours of good light in which to work.

The health and safety of residents should be paramount. The health and safety of workers will not be negatively impacted or risked by having them work between 8am and say 6.45 pm. That’s ten and three quarter hours available to make ‘noisy’ work... preparatory and clean up can happen outside obviously if needed with care and caution so ten and three quarter hours of noise plus a couple in prep and cleanup... they in theory have 12.45 hours of work and that ‘can’ include 10.45 of unrestricted noise.

They want their cake and to eat it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

While early 7am really isn’t an unreasonable start.

_Brian wrote: »
    While early 7am really isn’t an unreasonable start.

Starting prep work no, actually pile driving (excessive noise and vibration) and loading material into skips, ALL in a residential area, it is unreasonable in my view, at 7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Most site times across the country are 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm Saturdays.

This goes for factories also.

Good luck changing that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

How in earth can a person in Dublin get up at 8am and be in work or school on time ?

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Most site times across the country are 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm Saturdays.

This goes for factories also.

Good luck changing that :pac:

I’m not really concerned about factories, they are enclosed so the noise isn’t a factor.

My post was relating to work being carried out from 7am at and outside a residential property in a built up area. Use of a plie driver at 7am ? Nahhh not cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Odelay

7am is not early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Odelay

Strumms wrote: »
    I’m not really concerned about factories, they are enclosed so the noise isn’t a factor.

My post was relating to work being carried out from 7am at and outside a residential property in a built up area. Use of a plie driver at 7am ? Nahhh not cool.

A pile driver? On a residential house?

Vestiapx wrote: »
    How in earth can a person in Dublin get up at 8am and be in work or school on time ?

Absolutely everybody on my road can quite simply, the school is at the end of it.

Work ? These days not every job is 9-5. I’m complaining now but a few years ago when I had a 5am finish I’d have been even less enamored.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

Count yourself lucky, theres a site behind where I live and they are starting at 6am since they reopened after being closed during March-May.

Its loud!!

Odelay wrote: »
    A pile driver? On a residential house?

Most probably, sounds like it or if not the exact definition a piece of equipment that is certainly repeatedly hammering the ground causing serious noise and vibration.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Absolutely everybody on my road can quite simply, the school is at the end of it.

Work ? These days not every job is 9-5. I’m complaining now but a few years ago when I had a 5am finish I’d have been even less enamored.

The 5am finish would have been as bad with a 8am start wouldn't it ? Shift work is horrible ☹️.
    The fact that most jobs these days are not 9-5 is irrelevant to the fact that construction workers start early. 7 am start avoids traffic remember they are often travelling quite a distance as they travel to the job site which moves around from job to job.

Just making a point really, the concern seems to be based around your own perception of what is noisy/allowable, and also your own definition of what constitutes "early" - the general view of people around the country has lead to the current rules.

Factories do of course count, for instance - The factory I work in, based in a residential area does plenty of very noisy outside work, the neighbors don't love it but once we operate within the rules (7am to 6pm) there can be no issues.

Is it a pile driver, a jack hammer, a wacker, someone filling a skip - or just the general noise that's a problem?

Just making a point really, the concern seems to be based around your own perception of what is noisy/allowable, and also your own definition of what constitutes "early" - the general view of people around the country has lead to the current rules.

Factories do of course count, for instance - The factory I work in, based in a residential area does plenty of very noisy outside work, the neighbors don't love it but once we operate within the rules (7am to 6pm) there can be no issues.

Is it a pile driver, a jack hammer, a wacker, someone filling a skip - or just the general noise that's a problem?

My bet is a pile driver or at least certainly equipment that is certainly more heavy duty than a simple jack hammer... you can ‘feel’ vibration.... skips are being filled in with what sounded like windows, broken glass and whatever else.

My bet is a pile driver or at least certainly equipment that is certainly more heavy duty than a simple jack hammer... you can ‘feel’ vibration.... skips are being filled in with what sounded like windows, broken glass and whatever else.

You may have a genuine complaint with the vibration - if it is deemed to be excessive by the L.A.

Other than that, it's just the sound of construction tbh, it won't be forever, some day you might need to get some work done and the shoe will be on a different foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I can’t agree unfortunately.

In September there are no ‘light’ issues whatsoever that would negatively impact work being carried out at responsible times. Sunset will be at approximately 19.10 this evening. Over ten hours of good light in which to work.

The health and safety of residents should be paramount. The health and safety of workers will not be negatively impacted or risked by having them work between 8am and say 6.45 pm. That’s ten and three quarter hours available to make ‘noisy’ work... preparatory and clean up can happen outside obviously if needed with care and caution so ten and three quarter hours of noise plus a couple in prep and cleanup... they in theory have 12.45 hours of work and that ‘can’ include 10.45 of unrestricted noise.

They want their cake and to eat it here.

Well you don't judge the working hours for the whole year based on the last week in September and you need the hours constant all year round. You judge them based on winter which is what I said. You can't just pick the daylight hours of today like you did and multiply that for the year.

In addition unfortunately the risks involved with construction are high and therefore the heath and safety of the construction workers is more important than the 'health and safety of residents' and the very minor noise inconvenience to them.

Approach the neighbour and ask them if they could not use heavy machinery until 8am but remember they'd be doing you a favour. You've zero rights in this case as they're doing nothing wrong.

You may have a genuine complaint with the vibration - if it is deemed to be excessive by the L.A.

Other than that, it's just the sound of construction tbh, it won't be forever, some day you might need to get some work done and the shoe will be on a different foot.

I’ve had to get work done, over a number of weeks in a really established residential area that by the very nature of the work (building a new garage) wasn’t quiet at times at all anyway but was very clear to the builder that I wanted to maintain good relations with all of my neighbors including one who opposed the planning permission so all the noisy work was completed to comply with planning regs.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,137 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

7am is not early.

Well you don't judge the working hours for the whole year based on the last week in September and you need the hours constant all year round. You judge them based on winter which is what I said. You can't just pick the daylight hours of today like you did and multiply that for the year.

In addition unfortunately the risks involved with construction are high and therefore the heath and safety of the construction workers is more important than the 'health and safety of residents' and the very minor noise inconvenience to them.

Approach the neighbour and ask them if they could not use heavy machinery until 8am but remember they'd be doing you a favour. You've zero rights in this case as they're doing nothing wrong.

I’m judging them based on when the work is getting done. Legally certainly I agree it doesn’t appear they are in conflict with any law but I’m quite astounded, well in one sense that the law is not more stringent as regarding setting limits on when work of this nature can happen.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    7am is not early.

It simply is, in relation to the nature of the work being done.

Unfortunately this is just one person's opinion.. The majority disagree

Most people are awake at 7am. Either already in work or up and getting ready.

The noise sucks but the 7am doesn't really change anything. It would suck at 8am or 9am. It would suck at any time when on a night shift.

Noise wakes me when I'm working nights at weekends and the neighbors who work 9 to 5 are in their gardens cutting the grass, etc.

But the simple reality is that most people are awake at 7am and from what's bring described, the work will be done in a week.

Unfortunately this is just one person's opinion.. The majority disagree

The majority ‘can’ disagree, such is the way in a democracy but I’d still be maintaining it is too early for ‘that’ type of work. It’s certainly my opinion :)

If the work being done is actually the catalyst for people waking up, unplanned from sleep at 7am... my own alarm is set for 8.10 it’s unsat regardless of bogey builders.

Lots of people in the area, are retirees, airport workers with 4/5am finishes I know two guys myself in that scenario... residents association WhatsApp quite busy this morning on the subject... some nifty suggestions from one girl who is a lawyer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

some nifty suggestions from one girl who is a lawyer. :)

What suggestions had she? Would be interested to know

What suggestions had she? Would be interested to know

I’ll leave that out of the public domain for now but we shall see what happens, she’s a go getter this one. :pac: I’ll keep you posted anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭JayRoc

All this mickey-measuring nowadays about how early everyone gets up is very celtic-tigery.

"I get up at 0620"
    "0620? Sure half the day's gone! I'm up at the crack of four, after 9 mins sleep and I barely see the wife and kids #lovingthegrind"

Myself and the missus live in Dublin and are up at 8 (and that's always been the way even pre-lockdown).

Having a go at someone who isn't happy at being woken by construction noise at 7am is either virtue signalling or jealousy.

I'd also be interested to know the suggestions, also to know what laws are apparently being broken.

The residents of the area seem to have excessive expectations when it comes to noise, especially temporary noise.

JayRoc wrote: »
    All this mickey-measuring nowadays about how early everyone gets up is very celtic-tigery.

"I get up at 0620"
    "0620? Sure half the day's gone! I'm up at the crack of four, after 9 mins sleep and I barely see the wife and kids #lovingthegrind"

Myself and the missus live in Dublin and are up at 8 (and that's always been the way even pre-lockdown).

Having a go at someone who isn't happy at being woken by construction noise at 7am is either virtue signalling or jealousy.

:D Couldn’t agree more. #superherosyndrome is boring but very prevalent nowadays in work / corporate life...

Next... “hang on, bed ? , you want to sleep ? What ? The ‘majority’ of people ( who everybody knows ) don’t sleep” :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,137 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

:D Couldn’t agree more. #superherosyndrome is boring but very prevalent nowadays in work / corporate life...

Next... “hang on, bed ? , you want to sleep ? What ? The ‘majority’ of people ( who everybody knows ) don’t sleep” :eek::eek:

hilarious.. :D:D:D:D

this is YOUR thread.

youve been told that there is no law broken and that 7am is not considered too early.. yet you label these responses as #superherosyndrome

absolutely hilarious :D:D

#didntgettheanswerIwantedsyndrome

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement