Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2020 :Round 10 Russian GP Sochi (See MOD note on post4)

12345679»

Comments

Would miss Brundle on commentary even if he's 10 years past his best. Would have known the 10 seconds applies at the end only if there isn't a pitstop and is always banging on about not being allowed do practice starts outside of the pitlane. Mentioned at a few circuits it's a pain because the designated area would be on a different slope than the start/finish straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This race today had thrown up some really interesting outcomes into the mix re: the penalties.

Everything that was in motion on the track today was not so easy for the drivers out there. Although there have been some sparks of terrific driving from George Russell, Giovannzzi, LeClerc, Riccarrdo (even though he got a penalty; the way in how he dealt with it in comparison to Hamilton was brilliant).

The reply from Bottas on the team radio when he won the race today was out of the ordinary to some degree. I would assume that he had shocked his fanbase with how he dealt with it to some extent. How he will translate the tone of his win to racing on the Nurburgring in 2 weeks time is another story to tell.

The same outcome is also applied to Hamilton as well because I don't know how they will cope with trying to extend their momentum in the next race at the Nurburgring in 2 weeks time. It could also become a blessing of some sorts for Hamilton to win 91 GP's on Michael Schumacher's home soil. It could feel like it would all fall into place when he does it.

But to get there; he has to behave himself when he gets to race in Germany this year. Last year's race in the rain at Hockenheim wasn't so good for him at all. I would assume that all of you still remember how that race went for Hamilton don't you? It was described as one of the best F1 races on last year's calendar. But it was an absolute disaster for Hamilton to gain only 2 points for the Mercedes team & for Bottas having a DNF. For their strategy to work well in Germany this time; they would need to have clear heads because it is crucial to let those moments of teamwork to shine through again to get some form of control back in their driving. Otherwise if they don't focus on having things going their way again like last year; their whole efforts for going for the win on October 11th may all fall apart to bits if the outcomes not work out for them on the track.

That's why I think Nurburgring this year could be something special for all of the F1 drivers out there in 2 weeks time. It come bring out some great results for the drivers that will go on to race there & savour the feeling of the track once they arrive. It is also one of the most iconic racetracks in F1 history. It has a legend status that has stood the test of time for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

That's why I think Nurburgring this year could be something special for all of the F1 drivers out there in 2 weeks time. It come bring out some great results for the drivers that will go on to race there & savour the feeling of the track once they arrive. It is also one of the most iconic racetracks in F1 history. It has a legend status that has stood the test of time for many years.

Are you sure your not thinking of the Nordschleife?

The Nurburgring is just your bog standard FIA approved, concrete runoff circuit, same as any other racetrack that F1 competes on.

The Merc will still be 1 second ahead of everone else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭rock22

ro_chez wrote: »
    Are you sure your not thinking of the Nordschleife?

The Nurburgring is just your bog standard FIA approved, concrete runoff circuit, same as any other racetrack that F1 competes on.

The Merc will still be 1 second ahead of everone else

The Nordschleife is the long loop of the Nürburgring

• Registered Users Posts: 21,211 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

rock22 wrote: »
    The Nordschleife is the long loop of the Nürburgring
    Yes but F1 wont be going there and hasnt for over 50 years.
    Same as when they ruined hockenheim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,935 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lewis doesnt seem to know a helluva lot.

He relies a ridiculous amount on Bono to spoon feed him through races. And often his whinging is so bad it leads to Vowles having to answer him aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Joeface

the only thing about going there is the Current forecast is 5deg C at race start .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have to laugh. Lewis in his post race interview saying he had done practice starts millions of times before and never been punished for it. I doubt he has done that many. He has raced in 259 maybe 260 races in his F1 career to date and even If that included 4 race practice starts for each of them then he might have done it a little over 1000 times actually 1040 times to be exact going by my sums.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

AMKC wrote: »
    I have to laugh. Lewis in his post race interview saying he had done practice starts millions of times before and never been punished for it. I doubt he has done that many. He has raced in 259 maybe 260 races in his F1 career to date and even If that included 4 race practice starts for each of them then he might have done it a little over 1000 times actually 1040 times to be exact going by my sums.

Jesus christ it's just a phrase. Nobody expected anyone to be so pedantic as to work out the maths of how many he's actually done. It's like if you said you were so hungry you could eat a horse and then someone started breaking it down saying that isn't possible.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Past his best? Lol what

Ya don't think so? Watching races from 15-20 years ago he was much more of a straight shooter, he's much more careful about what he says now. Also he seems to have accepted the position of bantz-mate with Crofty unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Michael Masi has issued a statement backing up the stewards impartiality and pointing out very specifically the practice start area is detailed in the events notes. So obviously Hamilton isn't reading them

Also made it clear the designated area is a driver safety issue so they all know what is going on at that part of the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭weisses

Anyone else thinking Ricciardo couldnt have driven the line that was required without pullin a "Grosjean" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭recyclebin

That run off area rule was a joke. It's not rallycross FFS! Ricciardo would not have had the turning circle to make it around and Grosjean definitely didn't. Sainz was trying to be too smart. I bet he had already half planned taking the escape route to avoid traffic at the start but it came back to bite him in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Here's the ruling. Pretty clear, when you see the map someone made in the second tweet.

https://twitter.com/f1elvis/status/1310605891381743619

https://twitter.com/By_de_Hand/status/1310620368130973698

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭This is it

Not sure how anyone who read that could argue against it. And if you didn't read it then ignorance of the rules is no excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This is it wrote: »
    Not sure how anyone who read that could argue against it. And if you didn't read it then ignorance of the rules is no excuse

Just like at Monza. It's like driving through a red light and coming up with "I didn't see the red traffic light, Garda. I was looking at my dash".

His statement that they're out to get him just sums him up.

Advertisement