Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Wailin

Supervalu have offers on jameson at the moment too. Caskmate bottles down to €27, black barrel and crested reduced also. Not sure if posted here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Wailin wrote: »
    Supervalu have offers on jameson at the moment too. Caskmate bottles down to €27, black barrel and crested reduced also. Not sure if posted here already.

Not great discounts compared to O' Briens has at the minute though I notice a Proclamation Blended Irish Whiskey I've never heard of before.

I'm tempted to have one last go around of the O' Briens sale over the weekend for a bottle of Method & Madness but must resist. Have enough to keep me going for now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Couldn't resist picking up a Green Spot and the Jameson Caskmates stout edition. Including loyalty card points and the VAT reduction as well they were just over €69 instead of the usual €97.95. They'll go nicely on the shelf with the Knappogue 14 YO and the Method & Madness single grain.

I shouldn't have to buy another drop for a while now, unless someone spots a bargain on Scotch... >_>

Edit: the Jameson is remarkably drinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Not great discounts compared to O' Briens has at the minute though I notice a Proclamation Blended Irish Whiskey I've never heard of before.

Made by the same people behind Grace O'Malley Whiskey.

Drinking some Powers John Lane tonight. Beautiful stuff. Would be in my top five I think!

• Advertisement

Wailin wrote: »
    Winter might start for me tonight! Have Talisker Skye

Heading off to the Isle of Skye myself tonight for some Talisker. I have a full size bottle of the 10 year old but the others are new to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Wailin

Had Talisker skye, Highland Park 12 and ardbeg 10 last night. The skye is decent, a bit tamer than the talisker 10 but very drinkable. HP12 is a superior whiskey, lightly smoked but lovely balance. Ardbeg 10 is just a peat/iodine behemoth and definitely one to finish off rather than start! Enjoy the selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I've had a bottle of Ardbeg 10 on my shelf before and always found Laphroaig 10 a less approachable peated than it, different strokes of course, but still.

I love(d) both and personally prefer L10.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Cazale wrote: »
    Drinking some Powers John Lane tonight. Beautiful stuff. Would be in my top five I think!

Actually, you there you... throw us out your Top 5. You've not led me astray yet.

:)

---

Just opened up the Method and Madness there for a wee one to celebrate the end of a week from hell that concluded an intensive 3-week Java course (I still don't understand it) and doing the Irish Rail assessments which were a lot easier than I thought they would be.

I'll have to revisit PJL

wasn't that impressed by it

• Advertisement

I'll have to revisit PJL

wasn't that impressed by it

I've hovered over it now on Masters of Malt. I think I'll hold off on pulling the trigger 'til next month. The Ponaire order ate into the whiskey budget. :)

---

Interesting price differential between the new and old labels at CWS:

New: 64
    Old: 75

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=Powers%20John%27s%20Lane

haha! between scotch, coffee and craft beer me mrs's heart does be broke

haha! between scotch, coffee and craft beer me mrs's heart does be broke

Same. Though she likes beer (She bought the White Hag box) and I have introduced her to decent coffee and she now "gets it".

I've been devouring cheap german pilsners of late tbh, so the craft element can wait. The Oettinger Tsunami has finally subsided in Lidl so I'll be heading back to Martins and Drink Store in time.

ah my mrs likes coffee "but not those fancy ones" and loves a nice craft or homebrewed stout

she also loves decent rum and has paid eyewatering amounts for the stuff so...

ah my mrs likes coffee "but not those fancy ones" and loves a nice craft or homebrewed stout

she also loves decent rum and has paid eyewatering amounts for the stuff so...

How dare she diss single origin fruity Ethiopians.

Mine is into eye-watering expensive gins.

I like gin. But cmon, gimme a decent tequila or rum or whiskey anyday. She hates all three.

we're about to start a gin from scratch (:eek:)

we're about to start a gin from scratch (:eek:)

I commend any sort of distilling regardless of my protestations about buying them.

And I want in on the ground floor of getting a sample.

not of the first batch, but yeah from the second

will cost you a decent cup of burundian

not of the first batch, but yeah from the second

will cost you a decent cup of burundian

I can stretch to that I guess. Good man. :D

While we all aspire to be Cazale when we grow up, I've just poured my second dram of the night and it's Black Bush. As I said a few weeks back after I picked it up that it was a long time since I had it despite it being my favourite whiskey as a gasún, well, you'd easily guess that given how easy it has gone down.

What's more interesting though is tasting it directly after the M&M.

It is obviously a lot milder, but the notes of sherry and liquorice are so so strong now. Frankly tastes like a completely different whiskey to me. That is unbelievably mind blowing. Never got those notes as strong before. Usually more caramel and light cinnamon. wow.

• Advertisement

jaysis I use BB as my "everyday" whiskey (I don't drink it every day)

but I lash it into a glass with sours and soda for a friday afternoon relaxer and stuff like that

jaysis I use BB as my "everyday" whiskey (I don't drink it every day)

but I lash it into a glass with sours and soda for a friday afternoon relaxer and stuff like that

Aye, that's why I have it. I had only expensive nonsense in the cabinet. So BB got into the rotation as, my everyday once I moved into the new apartment and I got rid of the Paddy.

It was just odd, that a whiskey I know so well, gave me a more layers I never noticed as strongly before.

yeah I get that, you need an everyday, but it also has to be decent. I fell into the BB as my everyday because I won it in a raffle heh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

My every day is caskmates stout edition, I buy a few when Tesco do it for 25, or powers. Although I got roe & co for 25 recently & wish I had bought more. I didn't want to like it but its great at that price point, but at 40 it competes with nicer stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

oleras wrote: »
    0041289_stainless-steel-free-flow-spirit-pourer_550.jpeg
    Some of those yokes are very flimsy and have the potential to end in disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Update, picked up the Brabazon 1.

Attachment not found.

The original bottling (2017vs2018?)of Brabazon 1 was paradise .The second still nice but not so good .Or maybe i just think this cos I read it from the Whisky Bible(?!)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

2011abc wrote: »
    Some of those yokes are very flimsy and have the potential to end in disaster!

I destroyed some by dropping them into just boiled water to clean/steralise them - the rubber shrank! I assumed they were heat safe, definitely not :pac: Dishwasher only from now on.

throw us out your Top 5.

It's boring enough! Top five would be Redbreast 12, Powers John Lane, Green Spot, Ardbeg Uigeadail and Lagavulin 16. Pot still, peat and sherry. All of which I always have a bottle of.

Top five I've only tried once would be Powers 30 year old (1970 bottle), Knappogue Castle 1951, Glengoyne 25, Redbreast 1991 Friend at Hand and Redbreast 27. What's yours and everybody else's?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Have opened a Hibiki Japanese Harmony this evening. Admittedly I've yet to find a Japanese whiskey I don't like but it's very tasty altogether.

On the Islay discussion, sorry, but Lagavullin 16 is the undisputed king for me.

• Advertisement

Have opened a Hibiki Japanese Harmony this evening. Admittedly I've yet to find a Japanese whiskey I don't like but it's very tasty altogether.

On the Islay discussion, sorry, but Lagavullin 16 is the undisputed king for me.

You've literally just reminded me that I haven't received my Japanese whiskey set from CWS. Completely forgot about that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement