Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Cracked open my bottle of Compass Box The Spice Tree last night.

It won Scottish vatted malt of the year in Jim Murray's 2021 Whisky bible and has picked up a few other awards here and there over the years.

Tasting notes, came across to me as a very vinous - does that have to do with the maturation in French oak ends?

A lot of big, bold flavours here, it's an impressive blend with a long finish.

I gather most of the whisky used in it is from Clynelish, not a distillery I'm familiar with at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

• Registered Users Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Cazale wrote: »

Will probably my pick up the M&M and Roe & Co. Anything else worth looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,575 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Will probably my pick up the M&M and Roe & Co. Anything else worth looking at?

M&M is probably the best of the bunch.

Am a fan of both of the above, think you'd like The Sexton at €33.
    Some discussions on it earlier on the thread, it's from Bushmills, sherry cask, possibly Bushmills stock intended for travel retail.

* Don't pickup The Sexton with hand sanitiser on your hand, the brown paint comes right off!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Teeling Blackpitts is available for pre-order below. It's Teelings much anticipated peated whiskey. I tried it in the summer and it's not bad. Not going to challenge any of the big Scottish whiskeys just yet but great to see more Irish peat.

https://ie.irishmalts.com/single-malt/teeling-blackpitts-peated-single-malt-pre-order

Drinking a bottle of founders KBS which is aged in bourbon barrels. I've been aging it myself for the past five years and it's savage stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭tscul32

Sipping a glass of Method and Madness single grain at the moment thanks to this thread. Got a bottle in O'Briens last week for the hubby's birthday today. Have to say it's very drinkable. Roe & Co would be one of our favourites too, but last couple of bottles were under £20 in Sainsbury's in August so even €35 is hard to hand over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Wailin

Having an ardbeg night tonight with the 10 and corryvreckan. Looking forward to comparing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Drinking a bottle of founders KBS which is aged in bourbon barrels. I've been aging it myself for the past five years and it's savage stuff.

You've just reminded me that I stashed a bottle of that at the back of a cupboard!

Had some Ballyhoo whiskey tonight. A 4 year old grain whiskey finished in port casks. A very inoffensive and slight whiskey. Not much to it. Probably needed more time in the port casks.

The next Celtic Whiskey Shop tasting not surprisingly sold out straight away. €60 another bargain for what you get. I was too late myself.

What's in the pack? 5 x 30ml 
    The Buffalo Trace Antique Collection virtual tasting is a sure sell out! With limited number of spaces available this tasting will feature samples of the highly sought after and collectible George T. Stagg, Sazerac Rye 18 Year Old, Eagle Rare 17 Year Old, Thomas H. Handy and William Larue Weller whiskies from the Buffalo Trace Distillery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Received my Japanese whiskey set from CWS , looking forward as never tasted a Japanese whiskey before.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

Teeling Blackpitts is available for pre-order below. It's Teelings much anticipated peated whiskey. I tried it in the summer and it's not bad. Not going to challenge any of the big Scottish whiskeys just yet but great to see more Irish peat.

Not to go all terroir on it, but any idea whether the Teelings Blackpitts actually uses Irish peat in the process? I know Connemare used to (and maybe still does) use Scottish peated malt.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Received my Japanese whiskey set from CWS , looking forward as never tasted a Japanese whiskey before.

Got mine too but no link, have the dial in details been sent out yet?

1901Rory wrote: »
    Not to go all terroir on it, but any idea whether the Teelings Blackpitts actually uses Irish peat in the process? I know Connemare used to (and maybe still does) use Scottish peated malt.

Teelings use malt from Scotland too. They say they couldn't source enough of it here. (I asked on the distillery tour).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Finished a West Cork malt the other day (not enamored). (lidl 29.99), opened Roe & Co tonight (€30 obriens sale last week)

The Roe & Co is just such a smooth easy sup and at €30/€35 (frequently on offer) is unbeatable as an everyday tipple.

I think it was mainly Scottish based on comments on a previous Zoom tasting session I did with Teelings.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'm not sure if any of the Irish maltings make peated malt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

My O'Brien's Method and Madness tasting set is on the DPD can as we speak.

Very interested to see this now.

Update at 1pm ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Anyone have any idea as to why THIS went for almost £1,500 at whisky auctioneer when a similar one of the same era went for £150 in the same auction.

Granted the boxes are different in both but I dont get why one is 10 times the price of the other.

actuar90 wrote: »

No just checked my email there.

• Advertisement

Or 11.20...

528530.jpg

528531.jpg

Not bad presentation for a freebie.

They send it on the day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Pulled the trigger on a bottle of Killowen rum ... Not a whisky in a rum finish... Actual solera method rum from Killowen. Too unusual to pass up the chance to try.

(Ah - it has its own thread... Apologies. I know this is the whisky thread but I thought it was the place where people would be most familiar with Killowen and appreciate how unusual this is..)

ciaran76 wrote: »
    They send it on the day.

On that. What date is the tasting?

Pulled the trigger on a bottle of Killowen rum ... Not a whisky in a rum finish... Actual solera method rum from Killowen. Too unusual to pass up the chance to try.

(Ah - it has its own thread... Apologies. I know this is the whisky thread but I thought it was the place where people would be most familiar with Killowen and appreciate how unusual this is..)

Absolutely this is the right place to throw that in. Cheers.

On that. What date is the tasting?

Tomorrow. I think - I've so many tastings lined up I can't keep track!

Tomorrow. I think - I've so many tastings lined up I can't keep track!

So I have two tastings tomorrow? Sake.

Absolutely this is the right place to throw that in. Cheers.

100%. Anything relating to whiskey, distilleries other product and stuff like barrel aged beers etc should be open for discussion here. Killowen are releasing their own rum and then they are using those rum casks to age their whiskey in.

Teelings use malt from Scotland too. They say they couldn't source enough of it here. (I asked on the distillery tour).

Some Scottish distillers are using Danish, English or German barley due to lack of supply.

• Advertisement

100%. Anything relating to whiskey, distilleries other product and stuff like barrel aged beers etc should be open for discussion here. Killowen are releasing their own rum and then they are using those rum casks to age their whiskey in.

Now to find a bottle of rum...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement