Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

COUNTDOWN: Top 50 Music Albums Of All-Time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,626 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Surprised to see Doolittle down so low, thought it'd probably crack the top 20.

A climactic battle of soporific dad rock awaits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Reberetta wrote: »
    50th 20 Pts

Queens Of The Stone Age
    Songs For The Deaf (2002)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 32/4/17
    Singles:  "No One Knows", "Go with the Flow",  "First It Giveth"
    Nominated by theBronze14, Urbansprawl

I had it in my choices, but the self-titled first album and Era Vulgaris for me are their best and I think QOTSA edged it.

SFTD is a stonker. Still gets played with seriouss regularity anyway. Great choice though. No way the other two are in the Top 50. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I never knew Songs for the Deaf was a concept album. Learnt something new straight away.

Tempted to (re)listen to all 50 of these albums over the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

42nd 24 pts

Bob Dylan
    Blonde On Blonde (1966)
    Playlist
    Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: ?/3/9
    Singles: "Rainy Day Women No. 12 & 35" , "I Want You", "One of Us Must Know", "Just Like a Woman", "Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat
    Nominated by splashthecash, corm500
    Dylan said: "The closest I ever got to the sound I hear in my mind was on individual bands in the Blonde on Blonde album. It's that thin, that wild mercury sound. It's metallic and bright gold, with whatever that conjures up."

Recorded fast with Nashville session cats who were used to grinding out country hits, Blonde on Blonde has a slick studio polish that makes it sound totally unlike any of his other albums, with sparkling piano frills and a soulful ****kicker groove. Yet the glossy surface just makes the songs more haunting. Released on May 16th, 1966, Blonde on Blonde remains the pinnacle of Dylan’s genius – he never sounded lonelier than in “Visions of Johanna,” funnier than in “I Want You,” more desperate than in “Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again.” It’s his most expansive music, with nothing that resembles a folk song – just the rock & roll laments of a vanishing American, the doomed outsider who’s given up on ever belonging anywhere. “I don’t consider myself outside of anything,” Dylan said when the album came out. “I just consider myself not around.”

These guys were punch-the-clock pros, used to regular working hours and three-minute country sides, so they had to adjust to Dylan’s more eccentric approach. He kept them waiting around the studio office playing cards long after midnight, as he put the feverish final touches on a song he was still writing. He finally called them into the studio at 4 a.m. and started playing. But they were taken aback when the song didn’t end after three minutes – every time they thought they’d played the final chorus, this guy would jump right into another verse. “I was playing one-handed, looking at my watch,” Buttrey once said. “We’d never heard anything like this before.” Nearly 12 minutes later, they’d played “Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands.”

The album’s first session would produce the epochal “Visions of Johanna,” which Dylan first debuted in 1965 at a Berkeley concert attended by Allen Ginsberg and Joan Baez (who insisted the song was about her). With Kooper’s organ and Robertson’s trebly guitar shadowing Dylan’s lyrics, which go on for five image-stuffed verses, the song turns a recollection of a hazy New York night into a liquid meditation on carnal obsession and spiritual desire. At seven minutes long, it also suggested this wasn’t going to be just another series of recording dates.

“It was really … ‘far out’ would be the term I would have used at the time,” said Bill Aikins, who played keyboards on the song. “And still today, it was a very out-there song.” As Dylan later said, “I’d never done anything like it before.”

Blonde on Blonde came a few months after Rubber Soul, and it clearly spurred Dylan to step up his melodic game. “4th Time Around” was his famous parody of “Norwegian Wood” – a song he cruelly played in person for John Lennon. (As Lennon told Rolling Stone in 1968, “He said, ‘What do you think?’ I said, ‘I don’t like it.'”) But talk about the anxiety of influence: Maybe Dylan had to mock “Norwegian Wood” just to hide how much Rubber Soul was lurking behind “Visions of Johanna” or “Sad Eyed Lady.”

Dylan scholar Michael Gray wrote: "To have followed up one masterpiece with another was Dylan's history making achievement here ... Where Highway 61 Revisited has Dylan exposing and confronting like a laser beam in surgery, descending from outside the sickness, Blonde on Blonde offers a persona awash inside the chaos ... We're tossed from song to song ... The feel and the music are on a grand scale, and the language and delivery are a unique mixture of the visionary and the colloquial.

Vivid, Warm and Biting: Blonde on Blonde turns 50.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I never knew Songs for the Deaf was a concept album. Learnt something new straight away.

Tempted to (re)listen to all 50 of these albums over the next while.

KRDL (Curdle) and KLON[e] radio. :)

41st 24 Pts

Fever Ray
    Fever Ray (2009)
    Playlist
    Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 50/90/?
    Singles:  "If I Had a Heart", "When I Grow Up", "Triangle Walks" and "Seven".
    Nominated by Homer J. Fong, Arghus

"An album that allowed me to appreciate electronic music in a new way. I hated it at first, but it grew on me, to the point that I fell in love with it's mysterious atmosphere and mixture of childlike vocals and sinister moods. Chilly and warm, strange and familiar. It conjures up evocative feelings inside me that I can't fully articulate. "
    Alexander Tudor wrote for Drowned in Sound that "minimal beats on each track prove to have been constructed with incredible attention to detail, as are the smooth synth washes, and electronic simulacra of birdcall or animal noises. The tempo may be nightmarishly unvaried, track after track, but it's composed of glitches [and] bouncing balls", citing "Keep the Streets Empty for Me" as the album's best track.

In a review for AllMusic, Heather Phares opined that "Fever Ray's mix of confessional lyrics and chilly, blatantly synthetic and often harsh sounds make this album as successful an electronic singer/songwriter album as Björk's Homogenic." Phares continued, "With almost tangible textures and a striking mood of isolation and singularity, Fever Ray is a truly strange but riveting album."

Alexis Petridis of The Guardian felt that the album's "dolorous chords and stately rhythms recall the Cure, circa Faith, the glacial pace makes you think of the Blue Nile", noting that, "as unlikely a step as Fever Ray may seem for one of electronic music's most enigmatic figures, the results are triumphant."

BBC Music's Chris Jones called the album "bloody marvellous", while observing "a vague sense of holding pattern here rather than massive innovation. Without brother Olof as a guiding hand on the droning sequencers the tunes fall a bit by the wayside", but wrote that "this very tiny drawback doesn't stop Fever Ray from being the kind of brilliant album that it may not make sense to play if you're prone to nightmares."

The Guardian named Fever Ray the second best album of 2009, calling it "[g]lacial, creepy and impish" and commenting, "Between the cavernous synths, the echoes and loops, the polyrhythms and snarling vocal processing, Andersson managed to capture the feeling of being totally alone while also projecting a childlike wonder."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Haven't seen any of my noms yet, but I'm only confident in my top 3 picks making it into the top 50 and i think all 3 of those will be quiet high in this, they are popular albums

I can't believe Fever Ray made the list.

Delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

41st 24 Pts

Fever Ray
    Fever Ray (2009)
    You legends! That's an incredible album and I'm ashamed I didn't think of it

• Advertisement

Joint 39th 25 pts

Linkin Park
    Meteora (2003)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 1/1/1
    Singles: "Somewhere I Belong", "Faint", "Numb", "From the Inside", and "Breaking the Habit"
    Nominated by Sawduck, Also Starring LeVar Burton

"As an angsty teen, this album just really appealed to me. As an angsty adult, even moreso, especially songs like Somewhere I Belong."
    Lyrically the album contains elements including depressing emotions, anger, and recovery. Explaining to MTV, Bennington said: "We don't talk about situations, we talk about the emotions behind the situations. Mike and I are two different people, so we can't sing about the same things, but we both know about frustration and anger and loneliness and love and happiness, and we can relate on that level." In the same interview, Shinoda explained it as: "What we really wanted to do was just push ourselves and push each other to really find new ways to be creative." He continued: "We wanted each sample that was in each song to be something that might perk your ear – something that you might not have ever heard before."

In titling the album, Mike said that "Meteora was a word that caught my attention because it sounded huge." Dave, Joe, and Chester elaborated that just like how Meteora, the rock formations in Greece, is very epic, dramatic, and has great energy, the band wanted the album to have that same feeling.

Meteora has sold around 16 million copies worldwide, making it one of the best-selling albums of the 21st century. 

Meteora in profile.

Led Zeppelin
    Led Zeppelin I (1969)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: ?/6/10
    Singles:  "Good Times Bad Times".
    Nominated by splashthecash, Baronvon
    Recorded in 30 hours of studio time stretched over a three-week period (“I know because I paid the bill,” Page said), Zeppelin’s debut was hardly a high-concept affair; its making has been compared to the breakneck daylong session the Beatles pulled to cut Please Please Me in 1963. Yet the essential elements the band would expand on over the next decade are all in place: There’s a miasmic psychedelic blues trip (“Dazed and Confused”), high-def Fifties revisionism (“Communication Breakdown”), shifts from tender ballad to metal body slam (“Babe I’m Gonna Leave You”), and rips-cum-retooling of folk, blues and even classical on John Paul Jones’ Bach-bitten organ intro to “Your Time Is Gonna Come” — all unified by the band’s undeniable brute force.

In Britain the album received a glowing review in Melody Maker. Chris Welch wrote, in a review titled "Jimmy Page triumphs – Led Zeppelin is a gas!": "their material does not rely on obvious blues riffs, although when they do play them, they avoid the emaciated feebleness of most so-called British blues bands".

In Oz, Felix Dennis regarded it as one of those rare albums that "defies immediate classification or description, simply because it's so obviously a turning point in rock music that only time proves capable of shifting it into eventual perspective".

In comparing the record to their follow-up Led Zeppelin II, Robert Christgau wrote in The Village Voice that the debut was "subtler and more ambitious musically", and not as good, "because subtlety defeated the effect. Musicianship, in other words, was really incidental to such music, but the music did have real strength and validity: a combination of showmanship and overwhelming physical force.

Inside Led Zeppelin's debut.

Track by track guide.

...Meteora, the rock formations in Greece
    Every day's a school day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Arghus wrote: »
    I can't believe Fever Ray made the list.

Delighted.
    I have to say I never heard of them ,so just listening here to some tracks, intriguing music.. hoping to listen to any artist /album listed on the thread, that I have not come across before over the next while..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Did not expect Meteora to make it into the Top 50 when I nominated it, a pleasant surprise indeed...

giphy.gif

38th 26 pts

Joy Division
    Unknown Pleasures (1979)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 34/5/?
    Singles: None?
    Nominated by adrian522, gammygills, speckle
    Unknown Pleasures was recorded at Strawberry Studios in Stockport over three weekends between 1 and 17 April 1979, with Martin Hannett producing.

Hannett, who believed that punk rock was sonically conservative because of its refusal to use studio technology to create sonic space, used a number of unusual production techniques and sound effects on the album, including several AMS 15-80s digital delays, Marshall Time Modulators, tape echo and bounce, as well as the sound of a bottle smashing, someone eating crisps, backwards guitar and the sound of the Strawberry Studios lift with a Leslie speaker "whirring inside".He also used the sound of a basement toilet.

Hannett recorded Curtis's vocals for "Insight" down a telephone line so he could achieve the "requisite distance". Hannett later said, "[Joy Division] were a gift to a producer, because they didn't have a clue. They didn't argue".

Referring to the recording sessions, Peter Hook remembered, "Sumner started using a kit-built Powertran Transcendent 2000 synthesiser, most notably on 'I Remember Nothing', where it vied with the sound of Rob Gretton smashing bottles with Steve and his Walther replica pistol."

During the recording, Morris invested in a syndrum because he thought he saw one on the cover of Can's 1971 album Tago Mago.

Describing Hannett's production techniques, Peter Hook said, "[He] didn't think straight, he thought sideways. He confused you and made you do something you didn't expect."

The band members' opinions differed on the "spacious, atmospheric sound" of the album, which did not reflect their more aggressive live sound. Sumner said:

"The music was loud and heavy, and we felt that Martin had toned it down, especially with the guitars. The production inflicted this dark, doomy mood over the album: we'd drawn this picture in black and white, and Martin had coloured it in for us. We resented it..." Hook said, "I couldn't hide my disappointment then, it sounded like Pink Floyd."

Morris disagreed, saying, "I was happy with Unknown Pleasures. My theory on things at the time was that the two things—listening to a record and going to a gig—were quite different. You don't want to hear a record when you go to a gig: you want something with a bit of energy."

Curtis was also happy with the production of the album and was impressed with Hannett's work.Hook conceded in 2006:

"It definitely didn't turn out sounding the way I wanted it ... But now I can see that Martin did a good job on it ... There's no two ways about it, Martin Hannett created the Joy Division sound." Hook also noted that he was able to hear Curtis's lyrics and Sumner's guitar parts for the first time on the record, because during gigs the band played too loudly.

How they made the proto-goth masterpiece.

Ten things you didn't know about Unknown Pleasures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Props to those who chose Fever Ray in their picks, a cracking album and would more than likely have made mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Every day's a school day :)

yeah, there is a series of rocks and there are monasteries on them.
    I have passed from there once, the landscape is really amazing.

41st 24 Pts

Fever Ray
    Fever Ray (2009)
    Playlist
    Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 50/90/?
    Singles:  "If I Had a Heart", "When I Grow Up", "Triangle Walks" and "Seven".

"An album that allowed me to appreciate electronic music in a new way. I hated it at first, but it grew on me, to the point that I fell in love with it's mysterious atmosphere and mixture of childlike vocals and sinister moods. Chilly and warm, strange and familiar. It conjures up evocative feelings inside me that I can't fully articulate. "

If that's in and Silent Shout from the Knife isn't there I'll flip! :)

speckle wrote: »
    I have to say I never heard of them ,so just listening here to some tracks, intriguing music.. hoping to listen to any artist /album listed on the thread, that I have not come across before over the next while..

Check out the The Knife, Karin's original entity.

Especially the albums Silent Shout and Deep Cuts. Silent Shout is a masterpiece and you'll know the song Heartbeats from Deep Cuts which was reworked by Jose Gonzalez and used in the Sony "Balls" advert a while back. .

This is the way....step inside... Joy Division... one of the bands that inspired me to play music,like many other people too:cool:

37th 26 pts

Radiohead
    The Bends (1995)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 4/4/88
    Singles: "My Iron Lung", "Planet Telex / High and Dry", "Fake Plastic Trees", "Just",  "Street Spirit (Fade Out)", and "The Bends"
    Nominated by speckle,BPKS,Zaph
    According to the band, the album marked the start of a gradual turn in Yorke's songwriting from personal angst to the more cryptic lyrics and social and global themes that would come to dominate their later work. Most of the album was seen to continue the lyrical concerns of Pablo Honey, although in more mature fashion. The songs "My Iron Lung" and "Bullet Proof..I Wish I Was" have been compared to the band's later work, namely "Paranoid Android" and "Subterranean Homesick Alien", respectively. "Fake Plastic Trees" was inspired by the commercial development of Canary Wharf and a performance by Jeff Buckley seen by Yorke, who inspired him to use falsetto."Sulk" was written as a response to the Hungerford massacre.According to Yorke, "Street Spirit (Fade Out)" was inspired by the book The Famished Road by Ben Okri and the music of R.E.M.

The Bends received critical acclaim in the United Kingdom. In her Guardian review, Caroline Sullivan wrote that Radiohead had "transformed themselves from nondescript guitar-beaters to potential arena-fillers ... the grandeur may eventually pall, as it has with U2, but it's been years since big bumptious rock sounded this emotional."

Dave Morrison of Select wrote that the album "captures and clarifies a much wider trawl of moods than Pablo Honey" and praised the band as "one of the UK's big league, big-rock assets".

Q described The Bends as a "powerful, bruised, majestically desperate record of frighteningly good songs", while the NME's Mark Sutherland hailed it as a "classic" and "the consummate, all-encompassing, continent-straddling '90s rock record".

Critical reception in the United States was mixed. Chuck Eddy of Spin was unimpressed, deeming much of the album "nodded-out nonsense mumble, not enough concrete emotion", while Kevin McKeough from the Chicago Tribune panned Yorke's lyrics as "self-absorbed" and the music as overblown and pretentious.

Writing in The Village Voice, Robert Christgau said that the guitar parts and expressions of angst come skillfully and naturally to the band but nonetheless lack depth: "The words achieve precisely the same pitch of aesthetic necessity as the music, which is none at all."A positive review in the American press came from the Los Angeles Times' Sandy Morris, who described Yorke as "almost as enticingly enigmatic as Smashing Pumpkins' Billy Corgan, though of a more delicate constitution".

In 1997, Jonny Greenwood said The Bends had been a "turning point" for Radiohead: "It started appearing in people's [best of] polls for the end of the year. That's when it started to feel like we made the right choice about being a band."Selway said The Bends was the album where, with collaboration from Donwood, the "Radiohead aesthetic" began.

When opening track “Planet Telex” was released as a split single with “High and Dry”, it pointed toward the future, but no one, perhaps not even Radiohead, knew it yet. The loops, the keyboards, the studio flourishes, the shimmering tone, and the abstract lyrics — all, in retrospect, point to the band’s future. There was a haphazardness to the way this song came together. Story goes, the band laid that record down in one night, after a night of drinking. Thom Yorke was lying on the floor as he recorded the vocals (in one take). And they were going to call the song “Planet Xerox” before they realized it was trademarked.

One thing they were sure of was that they didn’t want to create a second Pablo Honey. Although The Bends still bears the influence of grunge and ’80s indie rock, musically it was a massive leap. The guitar playing became more complex and mercurial, oscillating between placid strums and frenetic freak-outs. We see this duality in a song like “Nice Dream” starting with chords and lyrics by Yorke before being expanded and complicated by Johnny Greenwood and Ed O’Brien. You can hear this tendency to **** up (in a good way) a would-be straightforward song across the record, particularly in tracks like “My Iron Lung”, which purposefully flouts the constraints of a song like “Creep”.

On The Bends, Radiohead were not content — to be another Britpop band, to be a one-hit wonder, to be what they were last year, last month, last minute. That restlessness has ironically been a major factor in the band’s consistency over the years — an unwillingness to settle, as Thom Yorke said shortly after the release of Kid A, “The best things are often those that go somewhere you weren’t expecting.”

Why The Bends is the worst great album of all-time.

Things you didn't know about The Bends.

• Advertisement

As an album it's fabulous, but again, OK Computer exists, so it couldn't be picked by me.

Joint 35th 27 Pts

Foo Fighters
    The Colour and The Shape (1997)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 10/3/10
    Singles: Monkey Wrench, Everlong, My Hero
    Nominated by theBronze14, Also Starring LeVar Burton

"I'm a big fan of the Foo Fighters and all their albums are great, but this one has two of my favourite tracks Everlong and New Way Home, and overall it just sounds great."
    Colour crystallized the sound that would become the Foo Fighters standard, less grungy and more poppy without losing its arena-rock heft, a fertile midpoint between Grohl’s considerable pop instincts and his shrieking hardcore roots. And it ventured beyond that template too, successfully toying with all sorts of other styles while maintaining Grohl’s emerging voice. Perhaps Grohl noticed the jangly pop tune “Big Me,” an outlier on the first Foos record, had become its biggest hit, or maybe the success of the first album encouraged him to realize the full scope of his ambitions. Whatever the reason, The Colour And The Shape significantly broadened this band’s horizons: One three-song stretch offers a shuffling acoustic ditty (“See You”), a screaming Pixies sendup (“Enough Space”), and a gargantuan power ballad (“February Stars”). More lightweight forms of balladry manifest on lo-fi lullaby “Doll,” dreamy slowdance “Walking After You,” and “Up In Arms,” which eventually blooms into a power-pop burner.

Many of the lyrics address the dissolution of Grohl's marriage to Jennifer Youngblood during the winter of 1996, which Grohl said had been "the winter of my discontent."The album's track sequence reflects this sentiment, chronicling his change from chaos to newfound happiness. Grohl admitted the lyrics of the previous album had been "obscure" and "nonsense," but Norton challenged Grohl to write lyrics that were more meaningful and comprehensible. Grohl delved deeper into his feelings with the lyrics and said

"there was a new freedom: 'Wow, I can actually write about things I feel strongly about and things that mean something to me and things I wouldn't normally say in everyday conversation.'"

The frontman stated that the experience was "kind of liberating," comparing the album to going to a weekly visit to the therapist "and then the rest of the week feel pretty good about everything." Grohl also found new strength in his singing, overcoming insecurities he had about his singing voice on the debut.Three types of songs permeate the record: ballads, up-tempo tracks and combinations of the two. Grohl felt they were representative of the specific emotions he would feel after the divorce.

From its pantheon-level guitar riffs to its expertly escalating drama to its iconic Michel Gondry-directed music video — “Everlong” endures as not just Foo Fighters’ signature song but one of the greatest songs in rock history.  Grohl penned the track at a converted barn that had been turned into a studio just outside of Seattle. He was staying in the secluded house at the studio during his separation. During a break in recording, he returned home to Virginia where he completed the track.

Speaking with Kerrang, he stated, "I knew it was a cool song, but I didn't think it would be the one song by which most people recognize the band." According to the vocalist, he penned the track about a girl he'd fallen for. "It was basically about being connected to someone so much that not only do you love them physically and spiritually, but when you sing along with them, you harmonize perfectly," said Grohl.

The album was nominated for Best Rock Album at the 1998 Grammy Awards and as of 2012, the disc had gone double-platinum for sales, making it their top-selling disc.
    Retrospective: Colour and the Shape.

Ten things you didn't know about The Colour and the Shape.

The Eagles
    Hotel California (1976)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 69?/2/1
    Singles: Life In The Fast Lane, New Kid in Town, Hotel California
    Nominated by quickbeam, Sky Square Tugboat
    Hotel California went on to top the charts for eight nonconsecutive weeks, and is now the third best-selling album of all time, having been certified 26-times Platinum by the RIAA for sales and streams of more than 26 million copies.
    Over the years, the Eagles have included most of the Hotel California album in their concert setlists, including such classic album tracks as "Wasted Time," "Victim Of Love," and "Pretty Maids All In A Row."

Village Voice critic Robert Christgau felt it was their "most substantial if not their most enjoyable LP", while Charley Walters of Rolling Stone felt it showcased "both the best and worst tendencies of Los Angeles-situated rock". Both critics picked up on the album's California themes – Christgau remarking that while it may in places be "pretentious and condescending" and that "Don Henley is incapable of conveying a mental state as complex as self-criticism", the band couldn't have written the songs on side one "without caring about their California theme down deep";Walters in contrast felt the "lyrics present a convincing and unflattering portrait of the milieu itself", and that Don Henley's vocals express well "the weary disgust of a victim (or observer) of the region's luxurious excess".

Billboard gave the album high praise: "The casually beautiful, quietly-intense multileveled vocal harmonies and brilliant original songs that meld solid emotional words with lovely melody lines are all back in force, keeping the Eagles at the acme of acoustic electric soft rock."

Ten things you didn't know about Hotel California.

The story behind every track.

As an album it's fabulous, but again, OK Computer exists, so it couldn't be picked by me.
    I think I limited to one per band too. But the Bends is definitely in Radiohead's top five... I think...

34th 28 pts

My Bloody Valentine
    Loveless (1991)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 26/24/?
    Singles: Only Shallow
    Nominated by  Rothko, NapoleonInRags, bonniesituation
    Loveless has been influential on a large number of genres and artists. The album is built around walls of layered guitar noise from MBV mastermind Kevin Shields, with both his and Bilinda Butcher’s vocals buried in the mix and acting as another instrument. When You Sleep, Soon, Sometimes and Blown A Wish became staples of indie club nights during the nineties.

Clash called the album "the magnum opus of the shoegazing genre ... it raised the bar so high that it subsequently collapsed under its own weight", leading to the dissipation of the style.

Metro Times called the album "the high-water mark of shoegaze", writing that its "dense production and hypnotic atmosphere drugged listeners with its sound's lovely oxymoron: at once hard and soft, up-tempo and languid, lascivious and frigid." Paul Lester of The Guardian called it "the Pet Sounds of UK avant-rock."

Musician Brian Eno said that "Soon" "set a new standard for pop. It's the vaguest music ever to have been a hit." Robert Smith of the Cure said, "[My Bloody Valentine] was the first band I heard who quite clearly pissed all over us, and their album Loveless is certainly one of my all-time three favourite records. It's the sound of someone [Shields] who is so driven that they're demented. And the fact that they spent so much time and money on it is so excellent."

Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins told Spin: "It's rare in guitar-based music that somebody does something new [...] At the time, everybody was like, 'How the **** are they doing this?' And, of course, it's way simpler than anybody would imagine."

Greg Puciato of The Dillinger Escape Plan named Loveless one of the albums that changed his life, recalling: "When I was younger, I only listened to riffs and vocals and a more traditional style of composition. So when I heard this My Bloody Valentine record it was so abstract and strange in artistic terms that it ended up taking me on other musical paths."

In 2014 for the documentary Beautiful Noise, Alan McGee, Creation co-founder, said about the album, "people were talking about it as if it was Beethoven's 7th or 8th symphony. No. It's some guy that can't finish a record that took three years ... Loveless is ****ing overrated as ****."

Kevin Shields on the agony and ecstasy of Loveless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

None of mine appeared so far, I assume they make up the top ten? :pac:

33rd 28 Pts

Velvet Underground & Nico
    Velvet Underground & Nico (1967)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 56/43/129
    Singles: "All Tomorrow's Parties" ,  "I'll Be Your Mirror", "Sunday Morning" , "Femme Fatale",  Venus In Furs
    Nominated by speckle, adrian522, Homer J. Fong, Rothko
    The album features experimental performance sensibilities and controversial lyrical topics, including drug abuse, prostitution, sadomasochism and sexual deviancy.

Upon release, The Velvet Underground & Nico was largely unsuccessful and a financial failure. The album's controversial content led to its almost instantaneous ban from various record stores, many radio stations refused to play it, and magazines refused to carry advertisements for it. Its lack of success can also be attributed to Verve, who failed to promote or distribute the album with anything but modest attention.

However, Richie Unterberger of AllMusic also notes that:

...the music was simply too daring to fit onto commercial radio; "underground" rock radio was barely getting started at this point, and in any case may well have overlooked the record at a time when psychedelic music was approaching its peak.

The critical world initially took little notice of the album. One of the few print reviews of the album in 1967 was a mostly positive review in the second issue of Vibrations, a small rock music magazine.The review described the music as "a full-fledged attack on the ears and on the brain" and noted the dark lyrics.

A decade after its release, The Velvet Underground & Nico began to attract wide praise from rock critics. Christgau wrote in his 1977 retrospective review for The Village Voice that the record had been difficult to understand in 1967, "which is probably why people are still learning from it. It sounds intermittently crude, thin, and pretentious at first, but it never stops getting better."

Many subgenres of rock music and forms of alternative music were informed by the album, including art rock, punk, garage, shoegazing, goth, and indie. In 1982, musician Brian Eno stated that while the album initially sold approximately only 30,000 copies, "everyone who bought one of those 30,000 copies started a band."

In 2003, it ranked 13th on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the "500 Greatest Albums of All Time", and in 2006, it was inducted into the National Recording Registry by the Library of Congress.

Ten things you didn't know about The Velvet Underground and Nico.

Velvet Underground and Nico: why it resonates 50 years on.

34th 28 pts

My Bloody Valentine
    Loveless (1991)
    Nice :)

For MBV fans I'd recommend Serena Maneesh's debut album. No doubt MBV laid the path for them, but I'd argue it's better than Loveless... shhh...

I think I limited to one per band too. But the Bends is definitely in Radiohead's top five... I think...

I feel I'm going to be the cause of a lot of bands' positions being lower than they should have been.

TCATS is a fantastic album and always in my top 3 if I have to rattle off a favourite album at short notice. But the First Foos album, Foo Fighters, is magnificent and just edges it and as such, TCATS had to miss out.

Both still get a regular bash, but Foo Fighters more often. Good Grief from that album regularly remains in my annual top 10 on Spotify! And of course, X-Static and Exhausted are just mega. They really need to do a proper full first album tour like QOTSA did back in 2011. For me. I had hoped they would have made the 25th anniversary tour that sort of thing if Covid didn't happen.

Reberreta, fair play for running this, but is there any way to maybe give us a few extra minutes between reveals?

It's your competition and whatever way you roll is cool, but it's cool to get a bit of time to discuss each album, but the conversation moves on so swiftly. I can't keep up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I also limited to one album per band, and went for a Radiohead album that probably won't make the Top 50, but is the one that has the best memories attached to it for me, so had to go for it.

• Advertisement

32nd 29 pts

The Smiths
    The Queen Is Dead (1986)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 15/2/70
    Singles: The Boy with the Thorn in His Side, Bigmouth Strikes Again, There is a Light that Never Goes Out
    Nominated by Press Run, NapoleonInRags
    Marr was heavily influenced by the Stooges, the Velvet Underground, and the Detroit garage rock scene while crafting the album.

The song "Vicar in A Tutu" was considered "throwaway" by Marr, who stated "It made a change from trying to change the ****ing world." "The Queen is Dead" was based on a song Marr began writing as a teenager.

"The Boy with the Thorn in His Side" was, according to Marr, "an effortless piece of music", and was written on tour in the spring of 1985. The song's lyrics refer allegorically to the band's experience of the music industry that failed to appreciate it. In 2003, Morrissey named it his favourite Smiths song.

A demo of the music for "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" was posted by Marr through Morrissey's letterbox in the summer of 1985. Morrissey then completed the song by adding lyrics. Marr has stated that he "preferred the music to the lyrics".

"Frankly, Mr. Shankly", "I Know It's Over" and "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" were written by Morrissey and Marr in a "marathon" writing session in the late summer of 1985 at Marr's home in Bowdon, Greater Manchester. The first of these is reputed to have been addressed to Geoff Travis, head of the Smiths' record label Rough Trade. Travis has since described it as "a funny lyric" about "Morrissey's desire to be somewhere else", acknowledging that a line in the song about "bloody awful poetry" was a reference to a poem he had written for Morrissey.

"There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" features lyrics drawn from "Lonely Planet Boy" by the New York Dolls. According to Marr: "When we first played it, I thought it was the best song I'd ever heard". The song's guitar part drew on the Rolling Stones' cover of Marvin Gaye's "Hitch Hike", whose original version by Gaye himself had acted as an inspiration for the Velvet Underground's "There She Goes Again".

The music for "Never Had No One Ever", completed in August 1985, was based on a demo which Marr had recorded in December 1984, itself based on "I Need Somebody" by the Stooges.According to Marr: "The atmosphere of that track pretty much sums up the whole album and what it was like recording it."The lyric to the song reflects Morrissey's feeling unsafe and, being from an immigrant family, not at home on the streets of Manchester.

"The Boy with the Thorn in His Side", "Bigmouth Strikes Again" and "Frankly, Mr. Shankly" were debuted live during a tour of Scotland in September and October, during which "The Queen Is Dead" and "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" were sound-checked.

"Cemetry Gates" (sic) was a late addition to the album. Marr had not believed that the guitar part was interesting enough to be developed into a song, but Morrissey disagreed when he heard Marr play it.The "All those people .... I want to cry" section is largely taken from the film The Man Who Came To Dinner, which also inspired one of Morrissey's aliases, Sheridan Whitehead. The words the song's narrator has heard "said a hundred times (maybe less, maybe more)" come from Shakespeare's Richard III. The song evokes Morrissey's memories of visiting Southern Cemetery in Manchester with photographer/artist Linder Sterling.

The story of the album as told by the band.

The story of the album.

34th 28 pts

My Bloody Valentine
    Loveless (1991)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 26/24/?
    Singles: Only Shallow
    Nominated by  Rothko, NapoleonInRags, bonniesituation

Kevin Shields on the agony and ecstasy of Loveless.

Finally!

I always joked for years that I would love to see the Kinks, Nirvana and MBV live as it seemed they were all as likely as each other.

Then I did. Twice. And boy was it worth the wait.

Even thinking about the opening bars of Soon ploughing into my ears right now is giving me goosebumps. Wow.

Reberreta, fair play for running this, but is there any way to maybe give us a few extra minutes between reveals?

It's your competition and whatever way you roll is cool, but it's cool to get a bit of time to discuss each album

I will go a bit slower.:)

I also limited to one album per band, and went for a Radiohead album that probably won't make the Top 50, but is the one that has the best memories attached to it for me, so had to go for it.

Hail to the Thief has better memories for me. So it briefly got the nod.

Hail to the Thief has better memories for me. So it briefly got the nod.
    I've always felt that if you trimmed 3/4 songs from that, it would be a masterpiece. I don't know what you'd cut though! It just always feels a little bloated to me

My biggest concern was that none of my nominations would make the Top 50, so now that two of them have made an appearance I can sit back and just enjoy the reveal more... :pac:

giphy.gif

32nd 29 pts

The Smiths
    The Queen Is Dead (1986)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 15/2/70
    Singles: The Boy with the Thorn in His Side, Bigmouth Strikes Again, There is a Light that Never Goes Out
    Nominated by Press Run, NapoleonInRags

The story of the album as told by the band.

The story of the album.
    What an album. Just didn't scrape into my list.

Big Mouth is such an incredible song. The violence of its emotion just gets me every time. Pretty much always thread that feeling to my adoration for Scottish band, The Twilight Sad, which is what I describe them as to other people, violent with emotion.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I agree that OK Computer is amazing. However I limited myself to one nomination per act, and for me The Bends was the real turning point for Radiohead. Pablo Honey was OK for what it was, but imo The Bends was a huge leap forward in terms of musical development, more so than the leap from The Bends to OK Computer. It also contains what are still some of my favourite songs of theirs.

I've always felt that if you trimmed 3/4 songs from that, it would be a masterpiece. I don't know what you'd cut though! It just always feels a little bloated to me

Pretty bang on. There, There still makes me giddy on every listen. If they never wrote another song before or since they'd still be considered a great band.

• Advertisement

The velvet underground... brings back memories of one of my earliest gigs playing an extended extended version of heroin.... crazy very little rehearsals, crazy line up, 2 base players, numerous guitarists and vocalists, sax, 2 percussionists and others(whatever friends we could fit onstage doing something), a strobe, smoke machine, a banana, an old handheld super8 and a long cone shaped thing.. in liberty hall in front of hundreds of foreign exchange students. what a blast.. not sure I knew what I was playing half the time... but they seemed to love it. great fun, true rock n roll.:D

Zaph wrote: »
    I agree that OK Computer is amazing. However I limited myself to one nomination per act, and for me The Bends was the real turning point for Radiohead. Pablo Honey was OK for what it was, but imo The Bends was a huge leap forward in terms of musical development, more so than the leap from The Bends to OK Computer. It also contains what are still some of my favourite songs of theirs.

They're absolutely fair comments. Completely agree with you tbh in sentiment.
    The leap forward is a great way to describe it.

OK Computer just means more to me. :)

My biggest concern was that none of my nominations would make the Top 50, so now that two of them have made an appearance I can sit back and just enjoy the reveal more... :pac:

giphy.gif

It would be interesting to check in the end how many nominations each of us had in the top-50.

Everybody should just post up their personal top 10's at the end.

It was a one per band situation for me too, just felt like the right way to do it.

I love how Radiohead fans always agree with each other when disagreeing with each other :p
    There's not a wrong answer to what their best album is (well, I'd be surprised if anyone picked King of Limbs but I'd let them have it)

I had it in my choices, but the self-titled first album and Era Vulgaris for me are their best and I think QOTSA edged it.

SFTD is a stonker. Still gets played with seriouss regularity anyway. Great choice though. No way the other two are in the Top 50. :)

Era Vulgaris. YES.

Totally underrated album, how it's so overlooked is nuts.

• Advertisement

It was a one per band situation for me too, just felt like the right way to do it.
    Agreed, but I'll need Reb to send it back to me, I must have deleted the PM :p

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If I allowed myself a second nomination from any act, OK Computer was definitely getting on to my list. It is an absolute masterpiece and I expect it to be in the top 10 on this list.

For this one I broke the rule and had 2 albums from the same artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Era Vulgaris. YES.

Totally underrated album, how it's so overlooked is nuts.
    Lullabies to Paralyze should have gotten more love I always thought.

I will be posting all the albums nominated at the end.

I wasn't planning on putting names to the albums because I thought it would be like a cheat code for our WALRUS games, but if people want to see the names with the albums, I can do that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement