Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Evil_g

This is just the network, not the infrastructure I presume?

I wonder what the time frame for implementation is?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's out.

https://twitter.com/BusConnects/status/1309084344053628929

Haven't had a look through it yet, I'm stuck on mobile.

Implemented in 11 stages, sweet Jesus. I can't shake my head enough at that. I thought that there'd be 3 phases, 4 at the most, but 11???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

At this stage they should just get on with it. It has been what, 4 years of talking and desgining at this stage?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

CatInABox wrote: »
    It's out.

https://twitter.com/BusConnects/status/1309084344053628929

Haven't had a look through it yet, I'm stuck on mobile.

Implemented in 11 stages, sweet Jesus. I can't shake my head enough at that. I thought that there'd be 3 phases, 4 at the most, but 11???

I can't see anything about the 11 stages anywhere. Any idea what they are and when each stage is planning on being implemented?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Page 9 in the full report is where the 11 phases are mentioned. Doesn't say what those phases are though. It does say:
    As each Spine is introduced there will be complimentary and enhanced services implemented at the same time

Which makes it sound like the phases will be oriented around the spines. Except there's only 8 of those so I dunno.

Other key points (emphasis mine)
    Enhanced orbital routes will be introduced during the early stages of implementation as they will provide major network connectivity benefits for customers and support the introduction of spine services.
    The new local and express services will be introduced at the same time as the relevant spine.

Not sure how this works if multiple spines are overlapping in some areas.
    Many of the spines are cross-city, so some existing radial routes will be replaced in two stages. Where that happens, the city centre connection is retained in the interim.

I guess this explains the 11 phases and 8 spines bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the Orbital routes being prioritised is a good start - they're not going to interfere much with the existing network so won't attract opposition and might show people the benefits of the new network. They need to sort out the flat fare early as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

They seem to be banking on that Huntstown Bus Gate...

Aside from that, it looks like the mess of a network we already have. It's a shame really, it could have been great had it not been from the incessant bemoaning. I think most of Tallaght is ending up with a reduced service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Qrt wrote: »
    They seem to be banking on that Huntstown Bus Gate...

Aside from that, it looks like the mess of a network we already have

I have to be honest, I was never a fan of the original BC plan to begin with. The current network is fine, it's just lacking a reliable and frequent orbital service and there's not enough bus right of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Jarrod Walker's original proposal included an F3 route that would have passed outside my door (Stannaway Rd.), connected with all orbital services, and taken a direct route into town.

After three years of consultations (or at least that's what it feels like) they've redirected that through Kimmage, and we're left with the equivalent of the current 83 which travels half way around the world to get into town.

Yay.

I suppose I can console myself with the fact (and it is a fact) that there isn't a hope in hell of the Lower Kimmage Road infrastructure ever being built.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

AngryLips wrote: »
    I have to be honest, I was never a fan of the original BC plan to begin with. The current network is fine, it's just lacking a reliable and frequent orbital service and there's not enough bus right of way.

Yes, as long as buses are vying for road space with private cars, the impact of BusConnects will be limited. A lot more needs to be done. This involves banning all on-street parking on bus routes, where buses are currently forced to overtake parked cars (which invariably involves waiting for 'permission' from oncoming private cars before proceeding). It should also be possible for buses to skip to the front of the queue at every major junction and get the green light a few seconds earlier, allowing them a head-start over other traffic. Also, give buses total priority over other traffic - i.e. make it an offence to overtake a bus when it's trying to pull out of a bus stop, a t-junction or a roundabout.

Simply, the number of private cars on the road at any given time should have the smallest effect possible on bus journey times.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

N8 Blanchardstown - Dublin Airport - Clongriffin.

Now that's a route that should go down well, D15 has been crying out for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

loyatemu wrote: »
    the Orbital routes being prioritised is a good start - they're not going to interfere much with the existing network so won't attract opposition and might show people the benefits of the new network. They need to sort out the flat fare early as well though.

With regards to the corridor infrastructure, what infrastructure will be put in place for orbital routes? Will there be many bus gates and dedicated road space?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

This is basically just a renumbering exercise at this point with core corridor route amalgamation/surgery and the new orbital routes.

The latter aside - and they are a significant improvement - it feels like an enormous waste of time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Does anyone know which routes are planned for the 24/7 service when and if this gets implemented? All the news reports are vague about it and I can't seem to find any more detail in the published documentation (mind you I'm a sleep deprived mess today so that doesn't mean much :D )

As a musician, the end of the scramble to make it to D'Olier for the 4AM Nitelink back to Dun Laoghaire after a weekend gig and the hellish nightmare that is trying to get home on a late weeknight after a gig is something I relish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Zebra3 wrote: »

I haven't clicked on the link, but I'm going to guess that it's a negative hit job?

tom1ie wrote: »
    With regards to the corridor infrastructure, what infrastructure will be put in place for orbital routes? Will there be many bus gates and dedicated road space?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I would assume people from Howth will be happy enough with the new H3 & the new 6 route going into the CC as well as the Dart. The allocation for the new 6 route will be allocated double deckers now which is good news. When the initial proposals for the 290 between Sutton & Howth Dart Station were released. It was only offered a short local route which would presumably use single deck buses once it came out from the last consultation on the network redesign.

The locals who wanted a good bus service maintained out of Howth weren't too happy with the 290. The 6 provided a much better route for the area.

As the Dart already provides a decent rail service for Howth; a bus route running between Sutton & Howth probably would not have generated enough demand for the area in the short term when compared to the 6 going from Howth Station into Abbey St/Talbot St. But when Dart+ was published in late August; people who use the H3 & the 6 will have an adequate level of service to Howth Dart Station. Howth Harbour is also a major tourist & marine activities attraction to people living in Dublin. The area would need to have a lot more visitors to visit the area while doing that with travelling on increased PT services.

It makes good sense to have Dart+ offering increased frequency to the CC by rail and than maintaining 2 bus services to the CC as a useful alternative.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I haven't clicked on the link, but I'm going to guess that it's a negative hit job?

They have already have mistakes being written about the new termini for the A1 & A2 routes. I have it highlighted in bold.
    A new lettering system from A to H will identify eight “spines” though the city, with buses running every four to eight minutes. Numbers would be used to indicate different branches of a spine. For example while all A buses would pass through Terenure, the A1 would continue to Knocklyon while the A2 would go to Tallaght.

Idiots. :mad:

This is what the A routes should look like this when looking at the final report. Do not follow the IT article for this information.

The A1 starting from Beaumont Hospital should follow the A route from Glasnevin to Terenure & then continue onto Ballycullen.

The A3 is from Shanowen Road to Tallaght. The A2 has nothing to do with Tallaght whatsoever.

The A2 goes from Dublin Airport to Dundrum Luas Station. The A4 goes from Swords Manor to Dundrum Luas Station. The A2/A4 when passing Terenure would both then go to Dundrum Luas Station. The report itself than says that the A2/A4 split up their routes around Grange Road & Nutgrove Avenue area. The A2 turns right down Grange Road & then onto Broadford Road into Dundrum. The A4 continues straight down Nutgrove Avenue while passing Barton Road while heading into Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Evil_g wrote: »
    Jarrod Walker's original proposal included an F3 route that would have passed outside my door (Stannaway Rd.), connected with all orbital services, and taken a direct route into town.

After three years of consultations (or at least that's what it feels like) they've redirected that through Kimmage, and we're left with the equivalent of the current 83 which travels half way around the world to get into town.

Yay.

I suppose I can console myself with the fact (and it is a fact) that there isn't a hope in hell of the Lower Kimmage Road infrastructure ever being built.

If it's the new 82 your referring too I wouldn't even consider it bringing you into the "city centre". Its seem to turn off for Hatch street to make it's way to Merrion Sq before terminating in Ringsend.

Its mind boggling to see what the purpose of all this is. Looking at the F1 for example, it seems to be a mash up of the 49 and 54a in parts only to then create a new 82 and 85 route to cover the parts of the 49 and 54a route the new F1 doesn't cover. The 82 coming from Tallaght would be fairly full by the time it reaches Stannaway road.

I can't see what benefit the 74 offers beyond Crumlin towards Dundrum. If the bus corridors
    in Crumlin and Kimmage are developed this route will also run through the residential roads the private traffic is envisioned to be routed through with major bottlenecks at Ravensdale and Sundrive road.

There is no interface between the S2&4 even though both are effectively swapping destinations with each other in the vicinity. The current 18 (S2) will now travel to Rialto and onto Hueston while the 17 (S4) will travel to Ballyfermont and onto Liffey Valley. Both of these established routes would be fairly busy especially the 18.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

To be fair, it's not a negative hit job.

The hit job usually comes afterwards but I think this one is going to be fairly quiet until implementation starts.

I am looking at some of my new routes in Blackrock that serve the CC from it's network map. They have some interesting changes in them.

I found one change for the B3. It now starts at the roundabout at Hollystown Road outside Tyrrelstown while it travels to/from Dún Laoghaire. I'm not sure that I am saying this right but I think the B routes going from Blanchardstown/Ongar travel through the CC along the quays in both directions. While the B routes leave the CC going southbound, they go onto Eden Quay, Malborough St Luas Bridge then Hawkins St, Townsend St, Westland Row, Merrion Sqaure, Baggot St, Pembroke Road until they split evenly at St Vincent's Hospital to go on their own routes afterwards. The B1 & B2 then go to UCD. The B3 goes to Dún Laoghaire. The B4 goes to Killiney S.C.

The 98 from Mountjoy Square to Loughlinstown travels along Gardiner St, Busáras, Townsend St, Westland Row, Merrion Square than goes along most of the current 7a route. If you want to travel from O'Connell St to Loughlinstown Park; the E1 is the most direct route to let you off at the N11 Flyover in Loughlistown. And then you walk from there towards Loughlinstown Park. If you want the longer option to leave you in the estate; you would have to take two buses to get there with the 1st one from Batchelors Walk/Eden Quay. You get the B3/B4 to their southbound terminus & then switch to another route like the 98, 211 or 222 to get you there. If you get the Dart; you go from Tara St to Dún Laoghaire & than switch from there to get the 98, 211 or 222 route to get you to Wyattville Road/Loughlinstown.

That means if you want to get a bus to Blackrock OTOH; you won't be able to get it while waiting along O'Connell St/O'Connell Bridge like with the 4, 7 or 7a on our current network. When going out of the CC from O'Connell St; you would have to get the B3/B4 from either Batchelors Walk or Eden Quay when you travel to Blackrock or further out like Dún Laoghaire or Killiney S.C. You will have very quick options while you travel from the CC to Blackrock in either taking the B3/B4 routes or the Dart.

The E routes to Dún Laoghaire/Ballywaltrim OTOH have no changes to their routes while navigating through the CC.

They will still travel through areas like Westmoreland St, College Green & Dawson St/Kildare St while in both directions. Once the E routes get implemented in Dublin CC; you won't have to take the longer route of the 145 through Dawson St onto Westmoreland St via Pearse St on our current network anymore when you head to/from the N11. That part of the 145 route from the N11 will be scrapped once the new E routes replace it once the NTA give it the go-ahead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I notice in the summary report that it says the full delivery of the new network is subject to additional funding from the government. I thought it was all signed off on.

Are there any bus lanes/bus priority measures planned for the orbital routes?

Orbital routes won’t really be worth a damn if there’s no bus priority measures in the pipeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

So 11 phases starting in 2021, no date or order of phases given. The biggest problem at the moment is Ireland being the last part of the western world without integrated ticketing and still no date given for when it is to be introduced. Basically we're getting route renumbering and the orbitals(most welcome) subject to government funing over 11 phases.

Seems a grand waste of 2bn really given that DCC has just recently demonstrated an ability to stick bollards up and effectively enforce the existing bus lanes with their existing maintenance budget and slash bus journey times. We've lots of glossy brochures though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Orbital routes won’t really be worth a damn if there’s no bus priority measures in the pipeline.
    No and that's a big issue especially where the O bus passes through phibsboro and Adelaide road.

cgcsb wrote: »
    So 11 phases starting in 2021, no date or order of phases given. The biggest problem at the moment is Ireland being the last part of the western world without integrated ticketing and still no date given for when it is to be introduced. Basically we're getting route renumbering and the orbitals(most welcome) subject to government funing over 11 phases.

Seems a grand waste of 2bn really given that DCC has just recently demonstrated an ability to stick bollards up and effectively enforce the existing bus lanes with their existing maintenance budget and slash bus journey times. We've lots of glossy brochures though

You know damn well that the €2bn is not the cost of the network redesign.

Yes, there will be work done on orbitals and some city centre locations after planning for Core Bus Corridors is finished.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

GT89 wrote: »
    I notice in the summary report that it says the full delivery of the new network is subject to additional funding from the government. I thought it was all signed off on.

I'm pretty sure that the money is allocated for this, but as they're moving into the implementation phase, they need sign off again, i.e. they've finished the design phase, and are now asking for the money pencilled in for the implementation phase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Madness to sign off on anything based off pre covid commuting levels.

Advertisement