Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

*Snap" STC!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

Bigger numbers or rare vram heavy use cases(like Doom at nightmare Ultra textures). There will probably be some use in the science/cuda scene. Its part of the reason the VII sold so well for what it was.

Also, reference PCB is apparently dual sided and has 12 mount points for memory chips even the 3080. So 20gig is really just another 10 chips on the back side.

Thats exactly what I said a few days ago. Dual sided RAM, like they used to do.

The major different for the 3080 10GB and 3080 20GB versions apart from the excess RAM is the time that the AIBs have with the reference board. They have the boards now, and as we have heard a lot, most of the AIB's haven't overclocked the board much. We've heard a lot about the headroom etc. The highest "stock" overclocking is on the ASUS ROG STRIX OC, which is overclocked to 1,935 Mhz.
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-ASUS-ROG-STRIX-RTX-3080-OC-is-the-fastest-RTX-3080-around-and-clocks-13-higher-than-the-Founders-Edition.494790.0.html

This is around 13% gain over the FE (however at around 35-40% extra cost, so is it worth it, but thats beside this point). The reason this has a more significant OC is that ASUS waited and worked a bit on the VBIOS and power draw to enable this OC.

So when the 20GB version rolls around, the AIB's will have had, hopefully, a number of months to work on the VBIOS and power requirements to give them the excess headroom required to overclock the cards to a much higher level which is stable. So, I expect thats going to be the major difference apart from the excess RAM. But sure, we can only wait and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I can't see these cards ever being good overclockers unless they are on a custom water loop. Especially the high ram versions.

Even the 10gb versions are hitting close to 400w. What's gonna happen when you stick another 10 ram chips on there.

Reports of the memory running quite hot too especially on FE. Sticking them back to back is surely gonna make that problem a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Not a fan of Linus, but he does a sponsored 8k Nvidia 3090 video which looks pretty damned impressive. just a shame the TV is $30 grand :D The card is absolutely massive as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

BloodBath wrote: »
    I can't see these cards ever being good overclockers unless they are on a custom water loop. Especially the high ram versions.

Even the 10gb versions are hitting close to 400w. What's gonna happen when you stick another 10 ram chips on there.

Reports of the memory running quite hot too especially on FE. Sticking them back to back is surely gonna make that problem a lot worse.
    RTX 3080 undervolt not possible.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-founders-edition/39.html

Interestingly, rumours are going around that RTX 3090 can be undervolted to 300W with no loss in performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Do we have an idea what's it going to be like tomorrow, with the 3090 launch?
    Do we expect the same kind of insanity as with the 3080s, or will it be less, seeing how these cards are a bit more expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

JoyPad wrote: »
    Do we have an idea what's it going to be like tomorrow, with the 3090 launch?
    Do we expect the same kind of insanity as with the 3080s, or will it be less, seeing how these cards are a bit more expensive?

There'll be less demand, but less stock too. It's anyone's guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Homelander

At this stage with the 3080 debacle I've just decided to get a 3070 when they become readily available, pending the results of Big Navi and possible Nvidia reaction to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    RTX 3080 undervolt not possible.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-founders-edition/39.html

Interestingly, rumours are going around that RTX 3090 can be undervolted to 300W with no loss in performance.

That's kinda crazy but makes some sense. The best binned chips will go into that. The same as the high core ryzens undervolt/overclock better for the same reason.

The memory must use very little then as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

BloodBath wrote: »
    That's kinda crazy but makes some sense. The best binned chips will go into that. The same as the high core ryzens undervolt/overclock better for the same reason.

The memory must use very little then as well.

Nah, seems very unlikely its possible or somebody got a .0001% binned chip.

Gddr6x uses more power + more chips compared to the 3080. They didn't put that monster of a cooler on it and rate its TDP at 400 watts for no reason. Its the same chip as the 3080, it would be the ram/power delivery and heat that makes the difference.

Loads of reports of crashing, Nvidia is pinning the blame on Windows GPU scheduling.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Small amount of stock for the 3080 went up early this morning on the Nvidia website apparently, around 5am our time. Mate of mine in the US managed to get his hands on one.

Small amount of stock for the 3080 went up early this morning on the Nvidia website apparently, around 5am our time. Mate of mine in the US managed to get his hands on one.

Yep, so they released stock in the US store yesterday at approximately 17:30 PST (like 11:30pm here) and they were apparently snapped up pretty fast. People had issues with the Captcha on the website and once completed the cards were already gone.

Here they decided that they'd put them up at 5am......:confused:
    I think they lasted a bit of time before they were all gone, probably 20-30 mins I believe. I missed my chance myself. I got notifications that stuff was happening to the webpage so I stayed up refreshing until like 3:30am, but gave up after that.....Sure, maybe next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I got notifications that stuff was happening to the webpage

Any chance you'd let us in on the secret of how you knew it was coming?

Although I don't think I'd wait up till the wee hours to catch one I would like to have an inside track for when the next batch are coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Any chance you'd let us in on the secret of how you knew it was coming?

Although I don't think I'd wait up till the wee hours to catch one I would like to have an inside track for when the next batch are coming!

Distill.io select out of stock element and set to refresh every 30 secs or so

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Distill.io select out of stock element and set to refresh every 30 secs or so

Exactly. They've been doing a lot of changes with the page over the last day or so, so the notifications are through the roof at the moment. My heart is all over the place thinking....is this it.....it never is, unless I eventually get some sleep it seems.

Did you have any joy with it this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

3090 sold out pretty much instantly too. Mental stuff given the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Fitz II

3090 sold out pretty much instantly too. Mental stuff given the price.

Think I got one a EVGA model, was mental, Overclockers was crashing and not going to payment. I got one paid for on scan but waiting confirmation on my order history. Fingers crossed.

Exactly. They've been doing a lot of changes with the page over the last day or so, so the notifications are through the roof at the moment. My heart is all over the place thinking....is this it.....it never is, unless I eventually get some sleep it seems.

Did you have any joy with it this morning?

Nah I was fast asleep when they dropped uk stock this morning.

Had the USA Nvidia FE in my basket but like others I got stuck on that stupid captcha.

Wouldn't be ideal anyway, having to use addresspal u.s address.

My Amazon.de order is still alive so fingers crossed for that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Gonna wait and see how many of these PowerCity get in.

Had the USA Nvidia FE in my basket but like others I got stuck on that stupid captcha.

Last update from zotac was that they were all being cancelled

ClSfLBv_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Steve laying into Nvidia. Its interesting how their performance results are different to a lot other reviews and how he keeps making reference to "cherry picking" certain games to show performance differences over the 3080.

Like most top end Nvidia cards, I get the impression that the cost/value argument is pointless. Not sure why he is bothering to make it.

Steve laying into Nvidia. Its interesting how their performance results are different to a lot other reviews and how he keeps making reference to "cherry picking" certain games to show performance differences over the 3080.

Like most top end Nvidia cards, I get the impression that the cost/value argument is pointless. Not sure why he is bothering to make it.

Sure for the video Linus did they sent him specific settings he had to use and everything let alone just cherry picking the games

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Had a 3090 in the nvidia site cart, but every attempt to check out just timed out. It's like they don't want our money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Fairly frustrating this launch is tbh. Looks like a 3090 can be preordered from scan for late Sept early oct but just can't justify that much on a card I think tbh. 3080 would do me fine but no stock at all.

Last update from zotac was that they were all being cancelled

ClSfLBv_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Doesn't say anywhere there "all being cancelled".

A good proportion were obviously cancelled as the listing was up way too long.

I won't be shocked if mine is cancelled but so far no cancellation email and my order is still up on their site, when most other people's have already been cancelled. So like I said, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

I am hugely surprised that Nvidia launched such a strong card as a 3080 since it makes their 3090's 10% improvement look really anemic.

How are you getting it shipped from Germany?? They only deliver to Austria and Germany,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

L wrote: »
    I am hugely surprised that Nvidia launched such a strong card as a 3080 since it makes their 3090's 10% improvement look really anemic.

Taken in isolation it's a good card for the use cases but given AMD's potential offerings and a rumoured 20GB 3080 it doesn't look nearly as good.

Hopefully the release of such a good card in the 3080 is a signal of what AMD might have to offer.

Advertisement