Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I think the nvenc encoder is the same in a gtx 1660 as in the 3080/90. I wonder what's holding them up improving that when streaming so massive now

I'd like to see some sort of equivalent of DLSS for streaming video to clean up the image and maybe even upscale it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Mindfactory, Germanys largest etailer, in 2019 had 3500 sales on the 2080 Super, released in July of that year.

Amazon.de got 20k sales because of a mistake. Thats 14mil in revenue, on a single card if they could actually meet the demand.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the sales volume was both immense, unexpected and demand was never going to be met. I mean come on, this volume of sales at that price range is weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Cordell

BloodBath wrote: »
    I'd like to see some sort of equivalent of DLSS for streaming video to clean up the image and maybe even upscale it.

Any sort of that processing makes more sense at the decoding end, and for that there is some sort of DLSS / AI upscaling in the NVidia Shield, so they have the technology. Or maybe some new coded designed from the start to work with DLSS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

BloodBath wrote: »

I hope they are just waiting for an av1 encoder or something maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Just got the official "this was an error" from Amazon.De

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

errlloyd wrote: »
    Just got the official "this was an error" from Amazon.De

Same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I got the money back from Overclockers, and now it's burning a hole in my wallet.
    What would be a good way to get a hold of a card for my son? I'm willing to pay a little above RRP, but not scalpers. Must be legit distributor.
    Any chance of that happening this side of Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Mine is still up...for now.

Where's the most realistic place to get one from this side of Xmas? (If there even is one)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

jump on the "it's only 10% faster" anti-hype train and get a 3090 if you want one this year :cool:

My amazon.de order still hanging in there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    My amazon.de order still hanging in there :rolleyes:

What's the time on the email confirming your original order?

Luck100 wrote: »
    What's the time on the email confirming your original order?

15:19 (Irish time)

I've seen lads with earlier orders on reddit have been cancelled already but mine hasn't, yet.

Only thing I can think of, is I ordered my 1080Ti from amazon.de before if that stands to me, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I got the Cancellation mail from Amazon DE a couple of hours ago.
    Hello,

You ordered the following item(s):

ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Trinity

Due to a technical error, we are unable to process your order completely and therefore had to cancel the item(s) from your order.

Naturally you won't be charged for items that are canceled. If you have already been charged, you will automatically receive a refund.

Please accept our apologies for our mistake. We appreciate your understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

I've seen lads with earlier orders on reddit have been cancelled already but mine hasn't, yet.

Only thing I can think of, is I ordered my 1080Ti from amazon.de before if that stands to me, I don't know.

Mine was canceled earlier today. I got my order in at 15:27 Irish time. I've bought from DE recently as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,927 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mine was in at 15:08 and was cancelled this morning. Have ordered a few bits from there since January.

3090 beside a 1080Ti. Ridiculously big!

sww3kg8u3uo51.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

JoyPad wrote: »
    I got the money back from Overclockers, and now it's burning a hole in my wallet.
    What would be a good way to get a hold of a card for my son? I'm willing to pay a little above RRP, but not scalpers. Must be legit distributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭JoyPad

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Maybe I'm missing something, but where do I sign up, and what good does that do?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

As an aside looking online at these 3 pin GPUs it seems you can get away with 2 and daisy chain the third

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/itfzis/asus_response_for_3x8pins_3080_gpu/

As most PSUs only include 2 cables and getting a third can be awkward (cant mix and match from other PSUs, cables aren't sold individually usually)

Interestingly. Overclockers.co.uk have changed pre-order's to "UK & Ireland only". Probably a bit late now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

JoyPad wrote: »

i cancelled my order on saturday and still waiting for the money to be refunded. i got the cancellation confirmation but still no sign of the refund!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

rabylsq0muo51.jpg

Guess I have to eat my words on 12Gb-vs-20Gb RTX 3080.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Cordell

I guess it makes more sense to use 10 x 2GB chips rather than 12 x 1GB, this way they can still use chips that don't have all 12 channels functional. And mixing and matching i.e. 8x1GB and 2x2GB will not be possible unless they want another 970 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

rabylsq0muo51.jpg

Most interesting part there is showing the 3070 sitting between the 2080 super and the 2080ti which confirms (sort of) it won't be as good as 2080ti

• Registered Users Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Yup, it looks increasingly like the 3070 may match the 2080ti in terms of 4k, but for 1080p and 1440p, indeed it appears it might be slightly slower

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

rabylsq0muo51.jpg

If the +10%/15% increase is true between 3080 and 3090, what gain if any is a 3080 20Gb going to give?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Hyzepher wrote: »
    If the +10%/15% increase is true between 3080 and 3090, what gain if any is a 3080 20Gb going to give?

At the moment I'd say there's almost no value until games start to demand higher vram allocations for 4k/8k texture packs etc. There could be other changes as well like the previous super/ti variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Hyzepher wrote: »

Bigger numbers or rare vram heavy use cases(like Doom at nightmare Ultra textures). There will probably be some use in the science/cuda scene. Its part of the reason the VII sold so well for what it was.

Also, reference PCB is apparently dual sided and has 12 mount points for memory chips even the 3080. So 20gig is really just another 10 chips on the back side.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

PG142 SKU 0 perhaps the 16GB 3070Ti?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I wonder what they are going to call the "PG142 SKU 0" - 3070 Super?

Advertisement