Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

slave1 wrote: »
    Put "car transporter" into DoneDeal and phone them all up, there's no cowboys in that game so whomever is the cheapest...

Was anyone waiting on delivery of a blue Model X?

You might be waiting a little longer...............

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Gumbo wrote: »
    Buy shares today.
    Watch release.
    Sell tomorrow.

Any flaws to my plan ??,

Hope u didn't follow your plan lol

I bought last time when Elon lost it on Joe Rogan

This time will be even better, going to buy when they go below $300 which should be pretty soon, bought for under $200 that time

He might as well have talked about mining Mars in that release :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,672 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Pretty underwhelming.
    Plaid S is quite expensive (but in the same range as the P100D + L was a few years ago.)
    Hypercar beating pace, should be phenomenal. I'll have to stick to buying used though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Hope u didn't follow your plan lol

I bought last time when Elon lost it on Joe Rogan

This time will be even better, going to buy when they go below $300 which should be pretty soon, bought for under $200 that time

He might as well have talked about mining Mars in that release :-)

Nope. I’m not a share buying type of guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Nope. I’m not a share buying type of guy.

Just as well, down 10% today.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Just as well, down 10% today.

VW ID4 hasn't helped either

Will be interesting to see Tesla sales in 2 years time when VW have finally ramped up production

They are under cutting Tesla by thousands now at the lower VW end and have Porsche's competing against them at the top end

VW must like Elon as they haven't released Audi saloons on him yet

I'm gonna buy a few more shares but honestly I don't think Tesla have the products to compete long term

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Telsa now has a market cap of about $350bn +/- whatever the market is doing today. Last year it lost almost a billion dollars on a strict accounting basis.

A company's value is based on an expected stream of future profits, and as the valuation goes up the gulf between the dribble of profits and the mountain of expectations just gets bigger.

Now, ask yourself: does its well documented product superiority gap over competitors look larger or smaller than last year? To me it looks smaller. We now have Taycan, Polestar, ID, more etrons, Xpeng, and the Koreans aren't exactly sitting on their hands having announced a dedicated EV skateboard platform in development. And what does Tesla have? Another motor on the Model S, late next year, when the car will be reaching 10 years old. Oh, and a sketch of a small hatchback dependent on tech they haven't developed yet.

Tesla's past valuations looked optimistic if you thought Tesla would fail. Tesla's current valuation look optimistic even if you think Tesla will succeed.

Lots of people have made money speculating on Tesla shares. Past performance is not a predictor of future results.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Thierry12 wrote: »
    They are under cutting Tesla by thousands now at the lower VW end and have Porsche's competing against them at the top end

Meh, Porsche have 1 car competing with Tesla at the higher (highest) end.

At the lower end, Nothing VW have even comes close to Tesla. In fact nothing they have is even competing with Tesla...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,103 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Meh, Porsche have 1 car competing with Tesla at the higher (highest) end.

At the lover end, Nothing VW have even comes close to Tesla. In fact nothing they have is even competing with Tesla...

+1

And Musk actually wants VW to do well. If that accelerates the transition to electric vehicles he's all for it. It looks like he would even consider sharing the super charger network with third parties as we saw last week after he met the VW CEO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

At the lover end, Nothing VW have even comes close to Tesla. In fact nothing they have is even competing with Tesla...
    It's possible that VW have an ID.3 that competes with the Model 3, but nobody has been able to figure it out from the insanely obfuscated infinite-scrolling VW Ireland website.

This is the EV challenge of 2020: work out the price and usable battery capacity of an ID.3 in the three different battery sizes, using only the VW website. I have tried a number of times and failed completely. I'm not even sure they're actually for sale.

• Advertisement

Do tesla super chargers have CCS and tesla connector on each charger ?

The climb in share price has been phenomenal in the last 6 months so much so that it can only go one way now.

It will only take one glitch in the supply chain and the whole lot will come a tumbling down rapido.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

All the Irish ones have both. And most of the continental ones do too (as the Tesla Model 3 can only take CCS). The newest Supercharger V3 hubs will have CCS only.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Lumen wrote: »
    It's possible that VW have an ID.3 that competes with the Model 3

maybe, just maybe you could almost compare Tesla's cheapest budget Model 3 with the top spec ID.3.... but for me, they're not even in the same galaxy. The Tesla wins in almost every measurable difference. Performance (and we know people who buy VW EV's aren't interested in 0-100 times), Technology, Size & Comfort...

Maybe I'm biased because I drive said 'budget' Model 3, but there's certainly nothing budget about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭eagerv

I don't see it as 2 car companies competing, there is loads of room for all.

The sales of EVs so far is tiny in the grand scheme of things.

Elon needs to come up with a real 20K USD car which will be 30K here, I think the Germans will be able to do this long before Elon, VW are massive.

Elon needs to come up with a real 20K USD car which will be 30K here

I don't think that will happen anytime soon. Or ever. VW already is very close to doing that (cheapest ID.3 next year will be around €28k here and let's be clear, the ID.3 is a very capable budget EV by all means) and the Chinese will take up a large chunk of that segment within the next 10 years

unkel wrote: »
    I don't think that will happen anytime soon. Or ever. VW already is very close to doing that (cheapest ID.3 next year will be around €28k here and let's be clear, the ID.3 is a very capable budget EV by all means) and the Chinese will take up a large chunk of that segment within the next 10 years

id.3 is a good car, fast charging and decent poke, rear wheel drive.

No reason Elon can't make a car with less tech.

It's a shame VW will be offering the id.3 with 50 Kw, I do think a lot of People won't understand the consequences unless they're waiting at a fast charger for longer than they should.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You'll never see a $20k/€30k Tesla, would damage the brand, Tesla not interested in this market segment

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Lumen wrote: »
    It's possible that VW have an ID.3 that competes with the Model 3, but nobody has been able to figure it out from the insanely obfuscated infinite-scrolling VW Ireland website.

This is the EV challenge of 2020: work out the price and usable battery capacity of an ID.3 in the three different battery sizes, using only the VW website. I have tried a number of times and failed completely. I'm not even sure they're actually for sale.

They're not, thats why you failed! :D

The only ID.3 available is the 1st edition which is in one battery size only.... 58kWh usable.

Series production of all 3 battery sizes and prices etc is expected to be on the website in another month or so.

The 3 battery sizes are well documented though.... 45, 58, 77kWh.(usable)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Dementia is definitely setting in Mad_lad! :D
    You've asked that a bunch of times already
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114169149&postcount=809

KCross wrote: »
    Dementia is definitely setting in Mad_lad! :D
    You've asked that a bunch of times already
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114169149&postcount=809

Yes, you're probably correct. :D

slave1 wrote: »
    You'll never see a $20k/€30k Tesla, would damage the brand, Tesla not interested in this market segment

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/09/how-tesla-plans-to-make-batteries-cheap-enough-for-a-25000-car/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Elon needs to come up with a real 20K USD car which will be 30K here, I think the Germans will be able to do this long before Elon, VW are massive.

Is this not like saying bmw/Audi/Merc need to creat a 30k ice car or they will crash?

I don’t think any of them have a car at that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

jhegarty wrote: »
    Buy shares today.
    Watch release.
    Sell tomorrow.
    Order Model 3 Performance with the profits.

Buy shares today.
    Watch release.
    Sell tomorrow.
    Order Model 3 Performance with the profits Buy a 2011 battery lease Renault Fluence

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Is this not like saying bmw/Audi/Merc need to creat a 30k ice car or they will crash?

Audi have the A1 Sportsback starting at €25k, BMW use Mini for the small end of the market. Not sure about Merc

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭_ned_

"Buy shares today.
    Watch release.
    Sell tomorrow."
    Love the M3->Fluence switch!

Wall Street make money only when you buy/sell shares, not when you hold. Their business is to encourage volatility and trade.
    I was expecting a fall because of the hype and speculation. A lot of people seemed to expect Elon to drop out of the clouds in a flying Model 3.

What we got was an Engineering presentation rather than Marketing BS. A detailed explanation of how step up battery production from 30GWh per annum to 3TWh per annum over the next 5-10 years. 3TWh is 30 million 100kWh packs; 40 million 75kWh packs; 60 million 50kWh packs. Don't see any other auto-maker with plans to produce batteries on that scale, or any scale. They all seem happy to just buy stuff from LG/CATL and others. Nissan even sold off their battery factories.
    Everyone says "Wait til VW/Toyota/ANOther comes along." The reality is that all the legacy makers make all their profit from ICE, and their electric offerings are token, scarce as hen's teeth, and unprofitable. Tesla is the ONLY maker making ONLY BEV cars. Legacy makers may be better at assembling cars, but Tesla is catching up rapidly, and iterating at an unrivalled pace. Skill in making ICE does not translate into skill at making battery packs. Businesses that are worlds apart. Like making horse buggies. An archaic and obsolete skill set. If I were Herbert Diess, I'd be laying awake at night...

No but I thought Elon's goal was to get everyone into ev ?:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

_ned_ wrote: »
    Skill in making ICE does not translate into skill at making battery packs. Businesses that are worlds apart. Like making horse buggies. An archaic and obsolete skill set. If I were Herbert Diess, I'd be laying awake at night...

In the automotive industry will long term skill in building battery packs be a requirement? LG Chem are good at doing that, so let them. Most manufacturers are not vertically integrated.

Vertical integration is brilliant for fast iteration and development, but when your task is reliably churning out many million vehicles per year it's much less beneficial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,409 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Do Americans Want a 20k car? Pick ups and SUV and minivans

Advertisement