Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Microsoft buying Zenimax/Bethesda

• 21-09-2020 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭

[url="https://bethesda.net/en/article/1iLtcvwY6Nb1GeKADyDUEX/why-microsoft-is-the-perfect-fit]LINK[/url]
    As the gaming industry transforms from a device-centric era to a player-centric era powered by new technology that provides the freedom to play with friends anywhere on any device, Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) on Monday announced plans to acquire ZeniMax Media, the parent company of Bethesda Softworks, one of the largest, privately held game developers and publishers in the world. Creators of critically acclaimed and best-selling gaming franchises including The Elder Scrolls and Fallout among many others, Bethesda brings an impressive portfolio of games, technology, talent, as well as a track record of blockbuster commercial success, to Xbox. Under the terms of the agreement, Microsoft will acquire ZeniMax Media for $7.5 billion in cash.

It means they'll own Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, Wolfenstein and more.

Wonder if there'll be future implications of time-locked exclusives for the Xbox and PC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

bethesda games on release day on game pass on pc would be un****ing believable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

7.5 Billion.. they must have massive plans

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The sheer financials involved here are staggering.

I mean if you work it out as Microsoft earning around €2bn a year from game pass based on current subscriber numbers... that’s like three years worth of subscriptions just to buy Bethesda, not counting the actual development and running costs.

It’s the biggest and most expensive play imaginable, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The sheer financials involved here are staggering.

I mean if you work it out as Microsoft earning around €2bn a year from game pass based on current subscriber numbers... that’s like three years worth of subscriptions just to buy Bethesda, not counting the actual development and running costs.

It’s the biggest and most expensive play imaginable, really.

On that math it’d be an absolute no brainer though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Xbox is less than 10% of Microsoft's total revenues, making roughly $11.4 billion in Fiscal Year 2019, with Zenimax making €500m in 2019.

along with their stable of games and intellectual property, its a major advert for the new xbox release as everything will be available on game pass, this 7.5bn is looking like a sound investment

Sony must not be too happy with the news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Guess i'm buying an Xbox too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Guess i'm buying an Xbox too :(

Too play the next Fallout? Think we need an intervention here. You'll thank us in the long run.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hopefully they fire Hines and that other numpty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

RIP Vulkan in any of these IPs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’ve no particular interest in most of the Bethesda/Zenimax studios outside Arkane, but that’s partially as a result of years of confused and lazy releases. It’s hard to determine precisely how many of the weak or half-baked games were the result of studios struggling to find something to say, or how much was due to strange corporate decrees (like Fallout 76, or rushing out sequels to diminishing returns).

Which is why I’m curious to see how this plays out. In theory Microsoft won’t be quite as aggressive when it comes to some of the development decisions. Giving these clearly talented people the time and resources they need to work without the same financial pressures could work to everybody’s favour. Obviously acquisitions can go south as well, and there’s always the possibility Microsoft will want to rush games for GamePass. But it’ll be interesting to see what unfolds, and certainly adds some spice to a console generation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Arkane are one of my favorite developers. Deathloop didn't catch my eye at first but once I heard it was Arkane behind it I took a second look and it interests me now. Though I guess you could say they had a misfire with Wolfenstein: Youngblood.

ID Software really knocked it out of the park with Doom Eternal, probably the best FPS game I've ever played. Anything they put out I'll be interested in.

The Evil Within is another game I enjoyed probably more than I should of so I'll keep an eye on that Ghostwire: Tokyo

Fallout has sort of lost its appeal to me though, the next Elder Scrolls I'll consider though, I did enjoy Skyrim back in 2011. wow that's a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Hopefully the first thing MS do is Phil Spencer personally going to every computer in Bethesda and deleting the Gamebyro engine by hand. Why they still use it baffles me when far better engines doing the rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Hopefully the first thing MS do is Phil Spencer personally going to every computer in Bethesda and deleting the Gamebyro engine by hand. Why they still use it baffles me when far better engines doing the rounds.

Why they don't use id tech is beyond me.

I wonder if the exclusives they are honouring will have the xbox game studios livery at the start :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

A shred move by Microsoft and fair play. It deserves a round of applause.

They have bought a company that owns so many relevant gaming ip's and securing them to be Xbox only for the next generation and to game pass. All announced before either next gen console went on sale.

I've read some people think the likes of an elder Scrolls 6 game etc would still come out on ps5 as too much money to be had but I don't see it. Blow your competition away by not releasing it on their platform.

Besides, they've already announced these games for game pass. So even if they had ps5 versions a consumer can be faced with buying a ps5 and forking out 70 euro for elder Scrolls 6 on ps5 or getting it and a ton of other games for 10 euro a month on Xbox.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

A shred move by Microsoft and fair play. It deserves a round of applause.

They have bought a company that owns so many relevant gaming ip's and securing them to be Xbox only for the next generation and to game pass. All announced before either next gen console went on sale.

I've read some people think the likes of an elder Scrolls 6 game etc would still come out on ps5 as too much money to be had but I don't see it. Blow your competition away by not releasing it on their platform.

Besides, they've already announced these games for game pass. So even if they had ps5 versions a consumer can be faced with buying a ps5 and forking out 70 euro for elder Scrolls 6 on ps5 or getting it and a ton of other games for 10 euro a month on Xbox.
    They would still release it on PS5 but at a delay to Xbox or simply at the same time as it moves to Xbox live; sign up for $15 and you get this amazing game along with this back catalogue or buy it for $70 for PS5, your call. Add in the console on financing option they are pushing as well and they are really making a deal for parents to get a console "for a cheap monthly fee" kind of proposition for Christmas and no need to buy additional games to it basically and make it a real "subscription" service so to speak with an bundled deal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I very, very much doubt a new Elder Scrolls will come to Playstation now. It's a major coup for Microsoft to deny Sony such a big game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I very, very much doubt a new Elder Scrolls will come to Playstation now. It's a major coup for Microsoft to deny Sony such a big game.

What hines said about looking at each game on a case by case basis is a load of baloney , we'll never see a elder scrolls or fallout game on playstation again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Lads, Microsoft aren't spending 7 billion to release games for Playstation. The ONLY ones that will be on a Sony console will be the upcoming ones that are already anounced and have deals signed, similar to Wasteland 3 coming to PS4 after inXile was bought my Microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

wes wrote: »
    Why they don't use id tech is beyond me.
    idTech was never designed with the kind of fully open-world games Bethesda are known for in mind so it wouldn't have been a good fit historically. The more recent iterations of the engine have included changes which could remedy this somewhat but I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they were developing a new engine for the next generation of their games.

• Advertisement

IMO they'd be mad to turn down the profit that releasing Elder Scrolls or Fallout on PlayStation would bring.

My prediction — and I'd put real money down on this one — is that through Game Pass they'll start offering 'early access' to select games. That early access will be about 2-4 weeks ahead of the physical/digital release dates for each game. All the popular franchises will be available on all platforms, but Game Pass will be by far the most attractive way for a majority of gamers to get those games.

Additionally, a further prediction that I'm less willing to bet on (because there are factors Microsoft can't control at play in this one) — Microsoft will try to make Game Pass a cross-platform thing, and they'll bring the same benefits to every platform it's available on.

The amount of profit they could make from Xbox hardware is dwarfed by the potential profitability of Game Pass. This is what they do with their Surface hardware too — it makes a bit of profit by itself, but the core goal is to drive adoption of Microsoft services.

You can see this exact approach across all of their business units — Azure, GitHub, Windows, Office, etc. The big money is in SaaS, and Gaming as a Service is the next big extension of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭BagheeraBlue

microsoft want gamepass on everything and that includes playstation

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

gizmo wrote: »
    idTech was never designed with the kind of fully open-world games Bethesda are known for in mind so it wouldn't have been a good fit historically. The more recent iterations of the engine have included changes which could remedy this somewhat but I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they were developing a new engine for the next generation of their games.

That is a good point. I do hope they have either improved there existing engine big time, or they forked idtech for RPGs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gizmo wrote: »

They'll tell us that it's a brand new engine while the game will stink of gamebryo with a new rendering tech.

Would be nice if they put the time into modifying an existing engine to fit an open world game. I mean the time put it to get it working will be saved in QA.

But why should Bethesda care. Fallout 4 was garbage and still reviewed great despite all the bugs as well on top of it.

Also Bethesda games just plain did not work at all on PS3. The frame rate would slowly tank until they were near unplayable by the 50 hour mark and yet they still got amazing reviews.

Why bother when you can get away with it based on Hype alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭quokula

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They'll tell us that it's a brand new engine while the game will stink of gamebryo with a new rendering tech.

Would be nice if they put the time into modifying an existing engine to fit an open world game. I mean the time put it to get it working will be saved in QA.

But why should Bethesda care. Fallout 4 was garbage and still reviewed great despite all the bugs as well on top of it.

Also Bethesda games just plain did not work at all on PS3. The frame rate would slowly tank until they were near unplayable by the 50 hour mark and yet they still got amazing reviews.

Why bother when you can get away with it based on Hype alone.

Exactly, Bethesda haven't made a game that wasn't a total mess in a decade or more, but still seem to be living off hype for their brands. MS would do better to rummage around in their IPs and give them to some of the competent developers in their portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think the real win for Microsoft here is the back libraries for these studios becoming available on Gamepass. Sure, exclusivity for a few games will be good for them and they desperately needed to boost their exclusives, but Sony will have their fair share of exclusives too.

There'll be nothing new out from these studios for a while yet anyway, so adding these additional games to Gamepass might start tempting people. I can certainly see it being a hit with parents, 300 on a console and a tenner a month for a massive library of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

MJohnston wrote: »
    IMO they'd be mad to turn down the profit that releasing Elder Scrolls or Fallout on PlayStation would bring.

It's a long-term move rather than short-term. Microsoft have an enormous war chest behind them. They can easily take the hit on the profits releasing the games on PS5 would bring, because the plan is to buy up more studios and properties, increase their share of the market in terms of consoles and Gamepass subscriptions, and then the future profits of releasing games on PS5 aren't as valuable.

The more studios and franchises they can buy up for Gamepass and take away from Playstation, the more attractive Xbox and Gamepass becomes to Playstation users.

Playstation's strength the past generation has been their first-party studios and their exclusives. MS are now buying up studios and existing franchises not just to compete with Playstation on that aspect, but to boost up what their strength has been lately, which is Gamepass. Sony can't compete on the same level as that as they don't have the funding MS has, even with a much higher market share in terms of consoles.

MS can tank the hit of not releasing those games on Playstations.

Penn wrote: »
    The more studios and franchises they can buy up for Gamepass and take away from Playstation, the more attractive Xbox and Gamepass becomes to Playstation users.

Yeah but what really matters to Microsoft, as I said in my post, is Game Pass. If they can make it as ubiquitous as Netflix or Spotify, on ANY platform, they'll make buckets of money. I genuinely don't think they'll pursue a console exclusivity arrangement in the long-term.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

New Vegas 2 ????

• Advertisement
Advertisement