Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaming News

Comments

Suspect we'll see a rush on xbox x as well. People are in a lot more so demand is far greater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The initial batch is tiny. About 100 per store so they "sell out" very fast. It creates panic and then when they magically get more next week they get snapped up and people think they are lucky to get one and don't cancel it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

I was gonna hold out getting one for a year or two as there's never any games to play on consoles usually for the first 1-2 years. But making it backwards compatible was a very smart move, as it makes miserable bastards like me get it sooner. I'll probably get one asap but I'm not gonna bust my ass scrambling for stores in hopes its not sold out, likely when things calm down.

And im not paying €80 for Demon souls, thats crazy, heck they're doing well if they get me to pay €60 for a game these days :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Little different but the last/current gen consoles are only getting the same with just the Virgil DLC.

SE only coming to next gen consoles as a new $39.99 game.

Guess they figure enough PC players wouldn't have bought it to make it worth while, or they're going to double dip and release it later.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,707 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Michel Ancel quits video games to focus on a wildlife sanctuary: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-18-rayman-creator-michel-ancel-quits-video-games-industry-to-work-on-wildlife-sanctuary

He insists Beyond Good & Evil 2 is still on the way, but I’ll only believe that game exists once an entire year has elapsed after its release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Honestly I'm fine if Beyond... 2 is dead 'cos what I saw in terms of prior trailers & gameplay didn't look much like something worth getting excited over; and from what I recall, plus the publisher in question, was as likely to be yet another tedious Ubisoft sandbox anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Football Manager 2020 and Watch Dogs 2 are free in the Epic Games Store at the moment if anyone's interested.

Oh, and Stick it to the Man as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

pixelburp wrote: »
    Honestly I'm fine if Beyond... 2 is dead 'cos what I saw in terms of prior trailers & gameplay didn't look much like something worth getting excited over; and from what I recall, plus the publisher in question, was as likely to be yet another tedious Ubisoft sandbox anyway

But what about all the work we were doing for Joseph Gordon Levitt?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

HOLY SH*T!!! Didn't see anything like this coming at all

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1308028385877204993

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,197 ✭✭✭✭Penn

CatInABox wrote: »
    HOLY SH*T!!! Didn't see anything like this coming at all

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1308028385877204993

It's official

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/21/welcoming-bethesda-to-the-xbox-family/

Insane. That's a huge get for Microsoft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wow, that's massive. Thankfully it's a studio I have no interest in (I love Fallout but 4 and 76 were bollox). I wonder will they still allow Elder Scrolls to go multi platform or are they all now solely Xbox/PC. If so, a lot of PlayStation fans will be fairly sickened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Penn wrote: »
    It's official

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/21/welcoming-bethesda-to-the-xbox-family/

Insane. That's a huge get for Microsoft

Wonder will they make those franchises Xbox exclusives now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭quokula

It's a good match, Microsoft believe all their games should work on old consoles, and Bethesda believe all their games should be written in an old engine.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Wow, that's massive. Thankfully it's a studio I have no interest in (I love Fallout but 4 and 76 were bollox). I wonder will they still allow Elder Scrolls to go multi platform or are they all now solely Xbox/PC. If so, a lot of PlayStation fans will be fairly sickened.

Yeah they're not a studio whose games I've played really. Tried Fallout 3 and Skyrim but couldn't get into them. Haven't played Doom either. But can definitely see a lot of people being upset if those games become Xbox exclusive.

Suddenly Spider-Man being exclusive to the PS version of Avengers doesn't seem like that big a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Welcome to Microsoft, Bethesda please report to Obsidian they're your new boss as they know what they're doing.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So Obsidian and Bethesda are MS studios now...they should buy Larian next.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's a bit out of nowhere. Quite the huge change in the industry. Hmmm. Would microsoft have any proprietry engines or technology that Elder Scrolls / Fallout could migrate to? Sometimes feels like I'll be on my deathbed and Bethesda will still br trotting out their heavily modified gameBryo engine for Elder Scrolls XX :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭quokula

Varik wrote: »
    Welcome to Microsoft, Bethesda please report to Obsidian they're your new boss as they know what they're doing.

I wouldn't mind seeing MS just give the Fallout IP directly to Obsidian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah they're not a studio whose games I've played really. Tried Fallout 3 and Skyrim but couldn't get into them. Haven't played Doom either. But can definitely see a lot of people being upset if those games become Xbox exclusive.

Suddenly Spider-Man being exclusive to the PS version of Avengers doesn't seem like that big a deal.

I'd take Spiderman over the whole Bethesda catalogue but that's just me. Now, if bigwigs can stop with these takeovers please as before a studio i love makes the move and the PS5 is fecking massive already, no way I could fit an X Series X Box X as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd be more interested in the franchises outside of the main bethesda studio. Dishonored and Doom are massive gets and that tech team at Id are masters of making modern engines.

Thought they would be getting Arkane as well but they are independent from Bethesda.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop were shown as timed PS5 and PC exclusives, it will be interesting to see how they pan out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Presumably all their games coming to game pass as well. Wouldn't be too surprised to see a price rise in the next year or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Massive win for Microsoft. Fallout, Doom, Prey, Elder Scrolls, Wolfenstein are my favourite games of the last generation. This is huge news. These games are bigger than any PS exclusives. (And more interesting to me, but that's a personal opinion). While the concept of exclusives is not a great one for gamers, I am delighted to see Xbox fire back in a meaningful way at Sony paying for timed exclusives. Getting interesting now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Xenji wrote: »
    Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop were shown as timed PS5 and PC exclusives, it will be interesting to see how they pan out.

Deathloop is the one that got my attention in the recent ps5 shows. I assume this will still be out on ps5 as planned

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd be more interested in the franchises outside of the main bethesda studio. Dishonored and Doom are massive gets and that tech team at Id are masters of making modern engines.

Thought they would be getting Arkane as well but they are independent from Bethesda.

Are you sure? Arkane's logo is shown on the image posted on the MS link I posted, I would presume that meant they were included with the deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Retr0gamer wrote: »

The announcement has Arkane listed in the studios being acquired in the banner image.
    JimBurnley wrote: »
    Deathloop is the one that got my attention in the recent ps5 shows. I assume this will still be out on ps5 as planned

It is still being released on PS5, as are Ghostwire, Doom Eternal and Elder Scrolls Online.

And in the press release itself:

The planned acquisition includes publishing offices and development studios spanning the globe with over 2,300 employees, including Bethesda Softworks, Bethesda Game Studios, id Software, ZeniMax Online Studios, Arkane, MachineGames, Tango Gameworks, Alpha Dog, and Roundhouse Studios. Bethesda’s critically acclaimed and best-selling franchises include The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, DOOM, Quake, Wolfenstein, and Dishonored, among others.

• Administrators Posts: 54,087 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Microsoft not messing around with the launch of this generation anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ok, Arkane as well.... that's another awesome studio.

I presume that this will work the same way as it did with the Rare acquisition. Rare were allowed to finish Starfox Adventures for Nintendo as it was already in production to future games were XBox exclusive.

So Deathloop might be the last Arkane game for a Sony console

Actually.... I'd love to see Arkane get the budget and stability that the studio deserves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement