Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide : Greatest FIFA World Cup Goal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Omackeral wrote: »
    I’ll absolutely run it if there’s an appetite for it

I'm in. Was gonna suggest Euro's, but its an inevitable Euro 88 showdown between Ronnie Whelan and Marco Van Basten

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm in. Was gonna suggest Euro's, but its an inevitable Euro 88 showdown between Ronnie Whelan and Marco Van Basten

Well that too. I have loads of tournies in the bank already so consider those two in the running. And maybe best goal ever in general while we’re at it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Balls, forgot the final was on.

Regardless, I wasn't needed, and the best goal won out.

From the best player to ever exist too, in my eyes :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

From the best player to ever exist too, in my eyes :pac:

There's a competition that could be run, now?

Not that I'd contribute. I know nothing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I’ll absolutely run it if there’s an appetite for it

BB/CBB next Mac or you are out of the clique ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

quickbeam wrote:
    There's a competition that could be run, now?

That could get nasty very quickly, this was only goals :D

I'm in!

Thanks again for a good show Omack, always a pleasure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Maradona v England is the real winner and you all know it. Worst World Cup in history.

Yes. I only saw this thread when it was maradona vs bergkamp in whatever round, and could not believe the result during following few mins. It was almost as if it was an anti vote, or else people just being argumentative for the sake of it. Or else them people are just thickos.
    Maradona goal is regarded as the greatest goal of all time. There have been many more great goals since it as opposed to before, but none have reached such iconic level. Even Messi best goals have not topped it, and he has been a much better player than maradona.
    The same people who voted for bergkamp goal over maradona will probably say Ronaldo is better than Messi.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yes. I only saw this thread when it was maradona vs bergkamp in whatever round, and could not believe the result during following few mins. It was almost as if it was an anti vote, or else people just being argumentative for the sake of it. Or else them people are just thickos. Maradona goal is regarded as the greatest goal of all time. There have been many more great goals since it as opposed to before, but none have reached such iconic level. Even Messi best goals have not topped it, and he has been a much better player than maradona. The same people who voted for bergkamp goal over maradona will probably say Ronaldo is better than Messi.

It lost, get over it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Great thread to follow and still think carlos alberto the top goal.. And what about the King pele did he not score a similar goal to Bergkamp back in 1958 in a world Cup final
    See link... https://youtu.be/m15yryxTXCs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Necro wrote: »
    It lost, get over it :P

I will never, never get over this!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Well that too. I have loads of tournies in the bank already so consider those two in the running. And maybe best goal ever in general while we’re at it

Best goal ever sounds great, but the business of selecting what makes the cut could be a chronic pain the arse.

Champions league is a bit more defined, but I'd be happy either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭trashcan

Arghus wrote: »
    You could give the champions league all time best goals a go if it hasn't been already done.

Zidane in the final at Hampden springs to mind immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

trashcan wrote: »
    Zidane in the final at Hampden springs to mind immediately.

Bale against Liverpool in 2018 final

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

A great winner.
    Thank you very much for organising this omackeral!! I wasn't able to participate as much as I would have liked, nevertheless a great idea and competition!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Thanks for running this. I really enjoyed it and would love a UCL one.

On the Maradona goal, I definitely suffered from recency bias having not being old enough to watch 86 live.

I appreciate how brilliant a goal Maradona's was watching it back but the memories of these goals live and the jaw dropping when it happened and the emotions I felt as a child/teenager for Bergkamp's goal or Robbie Keane's goal outweigh the rational part of my brain which does acknowledge that objectively they aren't the greatest.

But sure that's the great thing about democracy that we all get a vote.

And FWIW, I was a die hard United fan in my youth and would have despised every player on that Arsenal team when they were beating United.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Best Premier league goal could be an idea too - or just best Tony Yeboah goal, either works.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Shocking final.

This tournament needed more Brazil '82

• Registered Users Posts: 30,699 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Oh, how about best Goal celebrations as a contest? The Cantona slow turn, arms outstretched. The Julius Aghahowa somersaults. The Henrik Larsson tongue. The Klinsmann. The Pippo Inzaghi just running around going fucking mental.

Ravanelli with the jersey over his head. Gazza in the dentist chair. Houghton’s awful forward roll. Not a bad shout for a mini tournament :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Marco Tardelli :)

Totti and his cameraman antics, Robbie Keane's somersaults, Aubayemang's standing front flip all worthy of a mention too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Temuri Ketsbia kicking a hole in the advertising boards will walk that easily

or Zenden falling through the box playing for Marseille

I can think of loads more off the top of my head. Might just have to run this ya know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

I can think of loads more off the top of my head. Might just have to run this ya know!

Do it! :D

Do it! :D

I will! It’s in my diary.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

One suggestion btw - for the early kick-offs which caught some people out, maybe add in a minimum of 5 votes required to win?

Would mean no 2-0s for example, so the vote will be more valid - and in theory it shouldn't be too much more work. (Just means checking in, seeing nothing, and checking out again)

I ran a similar tournament on Ireland's best goal btw; could run it here at some stage if there was interest. The goals aren't as good (fewer to pick from for starters), but some good memories in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

cdeb wrote: »
    One suggestion btw - for the early kick-offs which caught some people out, maybe add in a minimum of 5 votes required to win?

Would mean no 2-0s for example, so the vote will be more valid - and in theory it shouldn't be too much more work. (Just means checking in, seeing nothing, and checking out again)

I ran a similar tournament on Ireland's best goal btw; could run it here at some stage if there was interest. The goals aren't as good (fewer to pick from for starters), but some good memories in there.

Mark Kennedy v Yugoslavia.

/end

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I thought you might be over there to vote for it, but it was in one of your hiatus periods :)

Got knocked out in the second round :eek:

• Advertisement

Considering the day that's in it -

Let me reiterate, again, that Maradona's second against England in '86 was absolutely robbed in this tournament.

Advertisement