Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boardsies Decide : Greatest FIFA World Cup Goal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

10 Minutes left!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Arghus wrote: »
    While Del Piero's goal is brilliant, it isn't ludicrous. There's a lot of beautiful elements but each individual part isn't impossible to believe by itself.

Wheras Bergkamp's first touch simply isn't mortal, the through the legs quick thinking while changing direction is even more impossible and the flawlessly executed finish is stupendous.

Isn't a goal more than just who kicked it to the goal? Del Piero's was a magnificent team effort, like a perfect game of chess where check-mate occurs out of nowhere in three moves. Even if his final kick wasn't that impressive, being exactly where he needed to be when the ball was passed to him was genius in itself.

Bergkamp's was a hell-for-leather long kick down to the goal line by his team-mate, and then a magnificent pick-up and goal. But there was no beauty in the build up to it.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Del Piero is a team effort and he is better looking :p

Ha! Didn't even go for the close-up!

quickbeam wrote: »
    Isn't a goal more than just who kicked it to the goal? Del Piero's was a magnificent team effort, like a perfect game of chess where check-mate occurs out of nowhere in three moves. Even if his final kick wasn't that impressive, being exactly where he needed to be when the ball was passed to him was genius in itself.

Bergkamp's was a hell-for-leather long kick down to the goal line by his team-mate, and then a magnificent pick-up and goal. But there was no beauty in the build up to it.

For someone who professes to know nothing about football, and even if it's not all on the money, that was beautiful to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I vote for maradonas wonder solo effort vs england 1986....the carlos alberto v italy 1970...

But for the purposes of this final..ill give it to bergkamp..a special goal

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

This is tighter than a Cavan man's grip on a 5 Euro note...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Two great goals, but I've stuck with Bergkamp from the start and I'm not about to change now. For someone of my age group it's just an iconic goal in a way that ADP's goal can't quite match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Delboy, cool team goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Great analysis but I wouldn't agree with the part in bold. DeBoer (I think it was) knew exactly what he was doing and is as sweet as a pass as you'll see in any game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Of the 2, bergkamps is the more unique and jaw dropping

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

Was my vote too late?

Bergkamp sucks.

Days-of-the-Year-Blog-2-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Del piero

We have a winner but my God it was close! In the end, the result was a very competitive 53% win. You, the good people of Boards.ie have declared that the Greatest FIFA World Cup Goal of all time is....

QuestionableComplexCopperbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

Dennis Bergkamp

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Omackeral wrote: »
    We have a winner but my God it was close! In the end, the result was a very competitive 53% win. You, the good people of Boards.ie have declared that the Greatest FIFA World Cup Goal of all time is....

QuestionableComplexCopperbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

Dennis Bergkamp
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Dennis Bergkamp

Given the commentary, that's how you should announced it.

Thanks for the work on this. Been fun. And the best goal won. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

A great winning goal and a great contest, thanks for running Mack

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Well deserved - I'll pay for his flight over to collect the award.

Thanks for running it omackeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Brilliant work Mackers, thanks as always

A worthy winner, even though I was part of the 47%

Brilliant work Mackers, thanks as always

A worthy winner, even though I was part of the 47%

I love when you call me that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Holland have never won the world cup so I couldn't find a suitable picture. This will have to suffice. :P

6b59f8ca59f5ced9b82d9b56e708dcb7.jpg

Grazie Omakeral for the great tournament.

Maradona v England is the real winner and you all know it. Worst World Cup in history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Great tournament again Omackeral, even if I think Maradona v England getting dumped out was absolute bullshyte.

You could give the champions league all time best goals a go if it hasn't been already done.

Reberetta wrote: »
    Holland have never won the world cup ...

Winning this competition is far more prestigious anywyay.

Maybe voting not knowing much about soccer was a good thing. I don't know the lead-up to these goals (previous matches, etc), or any grudges that may hold over either.

Unbiased view here. Quickbeam puts all you soccerball 'experts' to shame.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 84,901 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

bergkamp_1996.jpg?itok=7foEAY8b

Great Tournament Omackeral, Thank You

Thanks for the work Omackeral even if the terrible voters let an Arsenal player win.:mad:

9-8 final score? I'm proud of my pick. Close.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Maradona v England is the real winner and you all know it..

Agree, as I've said already. Bergkamp was superb control and finish, but Maradonna was something else again. I'm not buying the "English defence was terrible" theories that I've read here either. He was arguably the greatest player ever to play the game, at his absolute peak, and he slalomed though them like a skier. That was an epic tournament too, I get the feeling that a lot here aren't old enough to remember it, but it's probably my favourite World Cup. Love the South American World cups with the late night kick offs !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Great work Omackeral, very enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Unfortunately I completely missed this competition, can't believe Maradona didn't win it or at least make the final. Bergkamp's goal is a great goal, but, would have preferred Del piero winning it, obviously a lot of Arsenal fans voting here.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    Great tournament again Omackeral, even if I think Maradona v England getting dumped out was absolute bullshyte.

You could give the champions league all time best goals a go if it hasn't been already done.

I’ll absolutely run it if there’s an appetite for it

Advertisement