Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

Date at the bottom of the image is 23/11/2017

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

is it not showing the degree that each countries leader has? Or had as it shows medicine for Varadkar

that would make sense

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

silverharp wrote: »
    that would make sense
    It's what the caption of the map says.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Bulgaria = Firefighting.
    Albania = Fine Arts

Nice.

Only two engineers in the EU. We like to concentrate on the important stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

whats going on with the Isle of Man?
    Small population: 83k. Still, the number suggests inward migration of 30k, which seems like a lot. I don't know the place. Do Britons retire there in big numbers maybe?

Isn't it a tax haven?

Isn't it a tax haven?
    With Data Adequacy for the purposes of EU data transfers. Unlike , say the UK.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You'd love to know why there's an earwig hotspot west of Dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Isn't it a tax haven?

Andorra the same. A great place to score cheap ( as in nicely priced) upscale electronic equip btw.

No stats for Channel islands, but as far as I know you can only move there permanently via invitation. ( in saying that a substantial deposit in a local bank and purchasing a local property will get you waaaay up the queue ). Guernsey is nicer than Jersey btw, don't believe the hype.

c33a-channel-islands-north.36aa5375.jpg

Isle of Man

Seemingly formed when Setanta/Cu Chullainn threw a piece of the Mourne Mountains into the sea in a fit of rage ( or something similar, u know its true)

See German version ( plenty of Nazi cash there also by all accounts :eek:)

karte-1-770.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,762 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

upupup wrote: »

I wonder if they have one for peacocks. There was a lovely male peacock living wild near me for many years. It unfortunately died early this year. I always wondered what it's story was and how it got to be roaming rural Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭banie01

cnocbui wrote: »
    I wonder if they have one for peacocks. There was a lovely male peacock living wild near me for many years. It unfortunately died early this year. I always wondered what it's story was and how it got to be roaming rural Tipp.

Never mind the peacocks!
    I'm heading out to get myself a trash panda and recreate the scene from elf!
    Xmas card and present sorted!:D

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

The white line coming north out of Lough Neagh is the Bann

MAP-3-NI-Railways-vs-Religion-1.png.pagespeed.ce.8nEyNf1Qtk.png

If you want to link random maps of railways against religions then why not also show the map of railway lines in the South against religions?

You will find that the highest density of Protestants of different denominations in the Republic is to be found in Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal. There is not a single passenger railway line running through any of these counties which is a disgrace but does it prove a religious bias? For more insight perhaps railway lines should be mapped against population densities or even against the constituencies of every Minister for Transport in the history of both states.

If you want to link random maps of railways against religions then why not also show the map of railway lines in the South against religions?
    context was in the link , DUP got a billion to support the UK government and look how much was going to be spent west of the Bann.

The lines crossing the border got severed or weren't repaired so they stopped at partition. Very few protestants down south near railways after that except in Dublin city. Wicklow too hilly and partition and buses took out the Donegal lines.

This is how it used to be
    753px-Map_Rail_Ireland_Viceregal_Commission_1906.jpg

Larger version https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/Map_Rail_Ireland_Viceregal_Commission_1906.jpg

I think you can throw a mountain range in all areas in Ireland where railway lines were not built.

Finding a correlation between religion and railway lines is both appalling, reaching and preposterous. The real reason West Ulster don't get the love is because of the Sperrin mountains and the behemoth which is Lough Neagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You'd love to know why there's an earwig hotspot west of Dublin

Tax haven

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I think you can throw a mountain range in all areas in Ireland where railway lines were not built.

Finding a correlation between religion and railway lines is both appalling, reaching and preposterous. The real reason West Ulster don't get the love is because of the Sperrin mountains and the behemoth which is Lough Neagh.

They did block the M1 from going to Newry. London wanted it as it promoted better trade with the RoI, Stormont said no, so it went west to Dungannon and stopped when they ran out of money. Some of the roads around the border are still in appaling condition. It's petty tit for tat that I've seen in a few other places as well.

On the subject of borders, this map shows all international borders formed by rivers.

https://i.redd.it/bfprznvcnqn51.png
    bfprznvcnqn51.png

The red countries on this map are the only six nations on the planet who do not claim to be democracies; Saudi Arabia, UAE, Oman, Qatar, Brunei and our good friends in the Vatican City.

EJ68jQRW4AMt5Nk?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 19,762 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What are the criteria for a " flawed" democracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

KevRossi wrote: »
    They did block the M1 from going to Newry. London wanted it as it promoted better trade with the RoI, Stormont said no, so it went west to Dungannon and stopped when they ran out of money. Some of the roads around the border are still in appaling condition. It's petty tit for tat that I've seen in a few other places as well.

The M11 would have gone to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Tbf to the north, the railway lines/motorways are going from belfast to dublin and derry, the largest city on the island and the 2nd largest city in the territory. It just so happens that all the prods live in the towns on the way or own the good farmland around most of those routes.
    No doubt money was withheld from west of the bann but was always batted off as the population wasnt there or the geography didnt suit

retalivity wrote: »
    Tbf to the north, the railway lines/motorways are going from belfast to dublin and derry, the largest city on the island and the 2nd largest city in the territory. It just so happens that all the prods live in the towns on the way or own the good farmland around most of those routes.
    No doubt money was withheld from west of the bann but was always batted off as the population wasnt there or the geography didnt suit

The clientele didn’t suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

By all means start a new thread about the potential of sectarianism when deciding on transport routes, lets not ruin this thread on the topic. It has gone off on a tangent here.

• Advertisement

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    What are the criteria for a " flawed" democracy?

Sir Humphrey: East Yemen, isn't that a democracy?
    Sir Richard Wharton: Its full name is "The Peoples' Democratic Republic of East Yemen."
    Sir Humphrey: Ah, I see, so it's a communist dictatorship.

Advertisement