Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toulouse vs The Noble Sons of Ulster

• 18-09-2020 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭

A ragtag team of lovable misfits, rising from the ashes with plenty of heart, facing off against the cruel French princes of Europe. The only way we might see Ulster win this is if we watch it on Disney+.

What’s everyone’s team?

Want to see Carter contribute something if he gets the benefit of the doubt again. Jordi needs to shape up. O’Sullivan and O’Toole have been better than McGrath and Moore, but managing the front rows is its own dark art, and I’ll trust in McFarland.

With a back three of Stockdale, Lowry and Lyttle, would love to see us just properly bring them into the line. But if we go biccies and try to turn the game into harum-scarum Harlem Globetrotters stuff, Toulouse will put a million on us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

A ragtag team of lovable misfits, rising from the ashes with plenty of heart, facing off against the cruel French princes of Europe. The only way we might see Ulster win this is if we watch it on Disney+.

What’s everyone’s team?

Want to see Carter contribute something if he gets the benefit of the doubt again. Jordi needs to shape up. O’Sullivan and O’Toole have been better than McGrath and Moore, but managing the front rows is its own dark art, and I’ll trust in McFarland.

With a back three of Stockdale, Lowry and Lyttle, would love to see us just properly bring them into the line. But if we go biccies and try to turn the game into harum-scarum Harlem Globetrotters stuff, Toulouse will put a million on us.

I'd start McGrath, but keep O'Toole in. I'd throw Carter on from the start, and bring Murphy in with Reidy moving to 6 (pending Marcel's fitness).

I'd bring Cooney back in, and I would be tempted to chuck Madigan in. Keep 11 to 15 as was

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

(15-9) Michael Lowry, Rob Lyttle, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, John Cooney.

(1-8) Jack McGrath, Rob Herring, Tom O’Toole, Alan O’Connor, Iain Henderson (Capt.), Sean Reidy, Jordi Murphy, Nick Timoney.

Replacements (16-23): John Andrew, Eric O’Sullivan, Marty Moore, Sam Carter, Kieran Treadwell, Alby Mathewson, Matt Faddes, Matthew Rea.

No Coetzee. Goodnight.

Where is McBurney?

Honestly think we're going to get comprehensively humped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

awec wrote: »
    (15-9) Michael Lowry, Rob Lyttle, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, John Cooney.

(1-8) Jack McGrath, Rob Herring, Tom O’Toole, Alan O’Connor, Iain Henderson (Capt.), Sean Reidy, Jordi Murphy, Nick Timoney.

Replacements (16-23): John Andrew, Eric O’Sullivan, Marty Moore, Sam Carter, Kieran Treadwell, Alby Mathewson, Matt Faddes, Matthew Rea.

No Coetzee. Goodnight.

Where is McBurney?

Honestly think we're going to get comprehensively humped.

McBurney has been bubbling under for a few years, and his reputation precedes McFarland. It's entirely possible McFarland is less impressed with his aggro than Kiss/Gibbes, or maybe simply doesn't rate him as highly as Andrew in a high-tempo, skills-orientated play style. Andrew is a perfectly capable deputy - the worry is just that Herring is going to be away with Ireland a lot more than anyone had foreseen a couple of years ago. Also, Andrew may not be amazing but his hair is.

6/2 split makes sense, would love to see Lowry get a bit of time at ten in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I can't see this going any other way without Coetzee

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Madigan left out entirely, surprised at that.

• Advertisement

Madigan left out entirely, surprised at that.

In part I'd say it's to do with the 6/2 spilt, but I'd also say McF thinks it's unlikely that we're going to be in a position to win with some accurate kicks from Madigan off the bench. With that in mind, Lowry will be ten back-up and, I hope, see a bit of game-time there in the second half.

While the media has gone mad for Mads, he's a stopgap - why not get Lowry some tough, pressured game time at ten when he's not going to be losing the game for us? Then he can start some ProWhatever games for us there when next season kicks off, in a few weeks.

In part I'd say it's to do with the 6/2 spilt, but I'd also say McF thinks it's unlikely that we're going to be in a position to win with some accurate kicks from Madigan off the bench. With that in mind, Lowry will be ten back-up and, I hope, see a bit of game-time there in the second half.

While the media has gone mad for Mads, he's a stopgap - why not get Lowry some tough, pressured game time at ten when he's not going to be losing the game for us? Then he can start some ProWhatever games for us there when next season kicks off, in a few weeks.

I think we're just going to have a lash at it and hope for the best.

This is going to be the toughest test Mike Lowry has ever faced.

Get this game out of the way and then regroup for a couple of weeks ahead of the new season.

Just put in a good performance and enhance some reputations and avoid injuries please.

Also have a go. I'd rather lose by 20 points firing shots than lose 12-3. There is a time and place for slow and steady and keeping it tight. But not this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Seems a very tough ask but I’d absolutely love to see Ulster pull this one off. Two massive games for both provinces this weekend can only hope were all celebrating afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Surprised to see Madigan dropped. Faddes has been very poor any time i've seen him. Madigan could have covered 15 and 12, but i trust Dan.

As talented as Lowry is I still can't help but tense up every time I see him go into contact. Its like watching a 14 year old being dropped into the Senior team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

awec wrote: »

Where is McBurney?

Coaching Randalstown seniors. His old underage club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Some pack from Toulouse.
    Delighted this game is on Channel 4 and everybody will get to enjoy Dupont, Ntamack, Ramos & Kolbe.
    Hope Lowry has a good game. Going to be massive challenge for him in defense.

EiMT9ozWoAUkFyO?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Eek.

I mean, I knew it was coming anyway, but...

eek.

Imagine facing that lot in the tunnel!
    This is a much beefier pack than last years team that lost to Leinster.
    Plus Dupont is playing at 9 this time not 10!!

Their game from the weekend.
    https://youtu.be/QF10XeAtI9w?t=2533

Leinster v Toulouse would be a great final.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,773 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

No Coetzee = No chance

All down to us now, lads.

In the end we've survived longer than anyone else in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

bilston wrote: »
    In the end we've survived longer than anyone else in Europe.

You monster.

Buer wrote: »
    You monster.

Long runs the fox...its obvious now that Ulster have been holding back for the last 5 weeks. This has already successfully lulled Leinster into a false sense of security and today will no doubt do the same to Toulouse.

Ulster for the win

bilston wrote: »
    Long runs the fox...its obvious now that Ulster have been holding back for the last 5 weeks. This has already successfully lulled Leinster into a false sense of security and today will no doubt do the same to Toulouse.

Ulster for the win

Beer with the cornflakes this morning bilston?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭launish116

mfceiling wrote: »
    No Coetzee = No chance

Agreed, though teams game plans would of been to nullify him?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

38-17 to toulouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

O'Toole is out with Moore starting now.

yerrahbah wrote: »
    O'Toole is out with Moore starting now.

FFS. Is that Ross Kane on the bench then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭launish116

Losing O’Toole another big blow for Ulster!

Gonna be a long shift for Marty Moore! When was the last time Kane had game time?

FFS. Is that Ross Kane on the bench then?

Yes.

Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Glad we've got a 12.30 kick off. Let's get this over with nice and early, and hopefully I won't my bad mood will have faded before bed.

As long as it's not a bad injury, we can move past it. Not expecting a miracle today.

Although Saracens showed yesterday that it's possible for a determined, plucky underdog to take down the Goliaths of rugby.

The more I listen to Jennings the more unbelievable I find it that he was an inspirational voice in the Leinster changing room.
    “Oh man. Jeez”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,773 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Right...Ulster are winning this.

Advertisement